AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lao people relations with Thais (historically and modern), Educate me if you may
Weareallone
post Jan 19 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #1

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

Not insinuating a flame war though I project certain Thai members will also join the discussion. I'm interested in Laos origins and its interactions with Thai as I've read both people and culture are connected. I'm looking to be enlighten by my fellow Lao brothers and sisters.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Weareallone
post Jan 19 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #2

AF Geek
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-DCUz8oFwU

Pls before members start flaming listen to the hook of this song.

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 20 2012, 03:57 AM
Post #3

AF Legend
Group Icon

thailand is infested with Jek.

+Quote Post
Weareallone
post Jan 20 2012, 07:07 AM
Post #4

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Buddhalove @ Jan 20 2012, 03:57 AM) *
thailand is infested with Jek.

What is a Jek?

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 20 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #5

AF Legend
Group Icon

Bangkokian people.

+Quote Post
Anuwan
post Jan 20 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Well first of all. Siamese are related closely to Khmer and Mon ethnic people. Then later Thai change it name from Siamese to Thai just to unite and create national identity for all four region of Thailand to be united as one Thai people.

Later, Thai history,culture,language and even discourage of the Lao heritage was oppress and discarded by Central Thai government to eradicate everything relating to Lao heritage.

Which later on "Isan" was created to distance themselves from Lao on the east side of the Mekong River until today.

I hope that give you at least some short insight of Thai history relating to Lao people across the East side of the Mekong River before 1975. But this is what my parent,grandma and the Lao elder's told me about the early Lao ppl history before we ever came to America and other western country.

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 20 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #7

AF Legend
Group Icon

Nobody is denying that Siamese ancestors were Mon/khmer.

+Quote Post
Weareallone
post Jan 20 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #8

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Anuwan @ Jan 20 2012, 11:29 AM) *
Well first of all. Siamese are related closely to Khmer and Mon ethnic people. Then later Thai change it name from Siamese to Thai just to unite and create national identity for all four region of Thailand to be united as one Thai people.

Later, Thai history,culture,language and even discourage of the Lao heritage was oppress and discarded by Central Thai government to eradicate everything relating to Lao heritage.

Which later on "Isan" was created to distance themselves from Lao on the east side of the Mekong River until today.

I hope that give you at least some short insight of Thai history relating to Lao people across the East side of the Mekong River before 1975. But this is what my parent,grandma and the Lao elder's told me about the early Lao ppl history before we ever came to America and other western country.

Why was Lao history discourage and before hand where Siamese and Lao people the same? I understand that Lao and Thai Nations both consist of Austro-Asiatic people. So what is the argument of Tai-Lao? And what is Issan? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also why do you call bangkok people JEK?

This post has been edited by Weareallone: Jan 20 2012, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
Anuwan
post Jan 20 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Weareallone @ Jan 20 2012, 07:48 PM) *
Why was Lao history discourage and before hand where Siamese and Lao people the same? I understand that Lao and Thai Nations both consist of Austro-Asiatic people. So what is the argument of Tai-Lao? And what is Issan? Sorry for my ignorance.

1) Ethnicity and culturally Siamese and Lao are ethnicity different people. Which is why both side are in conflict with each other because we are too different in terms of ideology. Also the last war was during the 1800's during the Siamese invasion of Vientiane and the only temple that is still standing today is Wat Pra Keow in ViengChan the capital of Laos.

The reason for Thailand discouraging Lao heritage was because after the fall of Lanxang Kingdom the land of million of Elephant. Siam felt that eliminating the Lao people trace would unit Siam in favor of another up rise against Siam ruled. Also people from the North to the North-East were once ruled by the Tai and Lao people considering they were the same common people living among each other like brother and sister. And both has been among each other since the ancient times and the beginning of the great Tai migration into S.E.A.

2)Also we do not know if Lao or consist of Austro-Asiatic people since that claim change every few years in Laos. Lao people are very diverse and still young population still.

3)Also do you mean what is the argument between Thai and Lao? When was Thai ever was an ethnic Tai? Their is no evidence that the Siamese were apart of this group because Siamese are quite foreign to the old Tai people. Even the Lao people see them as foreign ethnic from the Tai-Lao people.

And for you curiosity about the word JEK. It actually came from the old Siamese language from Central Thailand where they used to called Chinese migrant or missionary if you looked into the old Thai text. You will see that JEK has been used quite a lot. Same with the word "Isan" that was used by central Thai to separate Lao people from East to West of the Mekong River. Also for the people of Lanna "Khon Tai-Lao" was replace with "Khon Muang" to separate Tai-Lao from Lao and China. You have to understand that Thai education and nationalist history has blurred many Thai from the true history. Why do you think Thai have so many bitter neighbors the first place? It is not about wealth of the country. It is about respecting the people and their heritage from being Thaificated into a share heritage. Look at Thailand today. It is all but a melting pot with no common ideology or unity. Thai people are truly lost and confused about their history that does not fit with its neighbors so well.

I'm not saying who is right or wrong. But from what you asked from me. Also keep in mind that I can only tell you my own personal opinion alone.

But in reality is that Thai already turn a blind eye from their brother and sister for a very long time in favor of White foreigner ideology and heritage. But where and what are the real Thai heritage and culture at this point? But in the end. Only Thai can find the truth among their own people trace.

This post has been edited by Anuwan: Jan 20 2012, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post
Binjbinj
post Jan 21 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Weareallone @ Jan 20 2012, 12:15 AM) *
Not insinuating a flame war though I project certain Thai members will also join the discussion. I'm interested in Laos origins and its interactions with Thai as I've read both people and culture are connected. I'm looking to be enlighten by my fellow Lao brothers and sisters.

Funny. Coming from someone who insulted Lao people in the not too distance past ago here. I think this personal project of yours is to get the insider story about us so you can mock us like you did before. You're heart and soul are cold as the iron setting out in the darkness of winter. icon_sad.gif

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 21 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #11

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Weareallone @ Jan 20 2012, 06:48 PM) *

Lao and Siamese are not the same. Siamese speak mon/khmer language. Later on Tai started moving down and dominated the region. That's why now a day Siamese speak Tai instead of their mon/khmer language.

+Quote Post
Bounthy
post Jan 21 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Weareallone @ Jan 19 2012, 11:15 PM) *

To be honest, this is the worst place for looking to be enlightened on such issues!

+Quote Post
LoveIsAllAround
post Jan 21 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Anuwan @ Jan 20 2012, 09:40 PM) *
1) Ethnicity and culturally Siamese and Lao are ethnicity different people. Which is why both side are in conflict with each other because we are too different in terms of ideology. Also the last war was during the 1800's during the Siamese invasion of Vientiane and the only temple that is still standing today is Wat Pra Keow in ViengChan the capital of Laos.

The reason for Thailand discouraging Lao heritage was because after the fall of Lanxang Kingdom the land of million of Elephant. Siam felt that eliminating the Lao people trace would unit Siam in favor of another up rise against Siam ruled. Also people from the North to the North-East were once ruled by the Tai and Lao people considering they were the same common people living among each other like brother and sister. And both has been among each other since the ancient times and the beginning of the great Tai migration into S.E.A.

2)Also we do not know if Lao or consist of Austro-Asiatic people since that claim change every few years in Laos. Lao people are very diverse and still young population still.

3)Also do you mean what is the argument between Thai and Lao? When was Thai ever was an ethnic Tai? Their is no evidence that the Siamese were apart of this group because Siamese are quite foreign to the old Tai people. Even the Lao people see them as foreign ethnic from the Tai-Lao people.

And for you curiosity about the word JEK. It actually came from the old Siamese language from Central Thailand where they used to called Chinese migrant or missionary if you looked into the old Thai text. You will see that JEK has been used quite a lot. Same with the word "Isan" that was used by central Thai to separate Lao people from East to West of the Mekong River. Also for the people of Lanna "Khon Tai-Lao" was replace with "Khon Muang" to separate Tai-Lao from Lao and China. You have to understand that Thai education and nationalist history has blurred many Thai from the true history. Why do you think Thai have so many bitter neighbors the first place? It is not about wealth of the country. It is about respecting the people and their heritage from being Thaificated into a share heritage. Look at Thailand today. It is all but a melting pot with no common ideology or unity. Thai people are truly lost and confused about their history that does not fit with its neighbors so well.

I'm not saying who is right or wrong. But from what you asked from me. Also keep in mind that I can only tell you my own personal opinion alone.

But in reality is that Thai already turn a blind eye from their brother and sister for a very long time in favor of White foreigner ideology and heritage. But where and what are the real Thai heritage and culture at this point? But in the end. Only Thai can find the truth among their own people trace.

What do you think that Lao is Tai?

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 22 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #14

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (LoveIsAllAround @ Jan 21 2012, 07:22 PM) *
What do you think that Lao is Tai?

Lao is Laos, while Siamese is Mon/khmer people. beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
Weareallone
post Jan 22 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Binjbinj @ Jan 21 2012, 09:56 AM) *
Funny. Coming from someone who insulted Lao people in the not too distance past ago here. I think this personal project of yours is to get the insider story about us so you can mock us like you did before. You're heart and soul are cold as the iron setting out in the darkness of winter. icon_sad.gif

Um no. I have never mentioned anything about Laos people ever. Maybe you're mistaking me for Loveisallaround.

+Quote Post
Weareallone
post Jan 22 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #16

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Buddhalove @ Jan 21 2012, 10:29 AM) *
Lao and Siamese are not the same. Siamese speak mon/khmer language. Later on Tai started moving down and dominated the region. That's why now a day Siamese speak Tai instead of their mon/khmer language.

Are Lao people Austro Asiatic too or are they Tai people? Because Thai members always argue that Laos dream they were Tai. What is the implication of this? and yes I know Siamese are Austro-Asiatic.

Also I understand that both nationality can consist of various ethnic groups, but were ethnic Lao people of Tai stock? or of similar stock?

+Quote Post
feezy
post Jan 22 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #17

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Weareallone @ Jan 22 2012, 03:34 PM) *
Are Lao people Austro Asiatic too or are they Tai people? Because Thai members always argue that Laos dream they were Tai. What is the implication of this? and yes I know Siamese are Austro-Asiatic.

Also I understand that both nationality can consist of various ethnic groups, but were ethnic Lao people of Tai stock? or of similar stock?

Lao are Tai people. All Tai people share the same story of Khun Borom but not the Siamese. Yet they think their tai because of the name change from SIAM to thailand.

Most of the Tai people lives in Siam are from the North and Northeastern providence which is culturally and ethnically related to the people of Laos.

+Quote Post
Weareallone
post Jan 22 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #18

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (feezy @ Jan 22 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Lao are Tai people. All Tai people share the same story of Khun Borom but not the Siamese. Yet they think their tai because of the name change from SIAM to thailand.

Most of the Tai people lives in Siam are from the North and Northeastern providence which is culturally and ethnically related to the people of Laos.

So why make the claim that Lao are not Tai? What's the agenda behind this - a political one?

+Quote Post
Laoboi999rose
post Jan 22 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

You tell them! Thai seem to not know anything about the Tai people at all. Even so with the Lao people!

Zhuang,Dai,Lue,Tai-dam,Tai dang,Lao,Shan,Bai-yue,Khun-Lao aka Khun Muang all are very close related. But where does these Siamese fit into this Tai family group? Even in Chinese history, they recognized the Tai group meaning for over more then a thousand years!

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 22 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #20

AF Legend
Group Icon

All Tai in the Mainland SEA share Khun Borom legend, except Siamese. Siamese are ashamed of their ancestors and changed the name of the country from Siam to Thailand little bit 60 years ago. Plus none of them like to speak mon/khmer language and prefering one of the tai dialects.

That is the true nature of siamese. beerchug.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:36 AM