NOT ANOTHER REVIVE SPANISH FORUM, Actually it is another revive spanish forum
Torete_ako_sa_yo
post Jul 2 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #1

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: Members

Start with Facts:
1. Spanish was the first official language of the Philippines far longer than any other language.
2. It was Lingua Franca of the Archepelago - meaning if I'm Cebuano and your Tagalog - In order for us to understand each other, we must speak Spanish.
3. Spanish was the languange of our Revolutionary Heroes, The Malolos Constitution, Tierra Adorno(Lupang Hinirang)....
4. It was the language of record, of business, of the literate, of the elite, of the educated, of the legislatures, judiciary, and executive.
5. About 10% of Filipinos spoke Spanish at this time, yet 0% spoke English. Also 30% Tagalogs, 40% Bisaya...
6. 3/4ths of our HISTORY was set in the Colonial era.
7. Spanish contribution is evident in our culture(music, art, and custom, religion), language, and geography(names of towns and stuff)
8. Philippines was the 2nd most advance(westernized) nation in Asia of 1800's because of Spain. Filipinos had more rights than people in China, India, and others at this time.
9. Spanish were mean, but that could be because they were just WHITE and RACSIST. Just like the British, Dutch, German, and French.
10. The War with America killed more Filipinos than the revolution. At least the Spanish obeyed more of the rules of war than the Americans - who didn't take many prisoners, and burnt entire villages to the ground.
11. SPANISH people in Spain have suffered a great deal - famine, oppression, fascism, and civil wars during the greater half of the last century. It may have been deserved - no sense in revenge anymore.
12. Part of the reason of our HATRED towards the mother country. Is because of the American Education we had - They have always hated the SPANISH ever since the INQUISITION were they killed of many Protestants. Read about the BLACK LEGEND - Philip II(who we are named after) was over villified by Protestant countries like England, and Holland, because he's a devout CATHOLIC(like most of us).

Conclusions:
1. Face it, without Spain - we would be just like any other Asian nation - a little different but pretty much the same. We would probably still be a Muslim country(and they have good reputations don't they, I'm not against them or anything but their reputation is just not good.)
2. Imperialism happened all over ASIA, If not for the Spanish - We would probably be divided into British, Dutch, and French territories. You think the British were kind to INDIA and CHINA(hell no) eek.gif ... read about the Sepoy rebellion and the Treaty of Nanking.
3. Spain is - whether we like it or not - the mother country. They found defined our borders, and gave us their culture, and religion. If Mexico's mother country is Spain, then it should be true for us as well for we were under Spain far longer than they were after all.
4. Our culture is unique to Asian countries, at this time our towns looked more like pueblos in Latin America than Asian settlements icon_neutral.gif
5. Chinos were sometimes discriminated in the Philippines because they came from a poor country - although they did gain affluence here. Japanese christians saw the Philippines as a religious haven.
Other countries in Asia enved the Philippines from this time until 1960.
6. Few today people even speak in complete Tagalog, Bisaya, or such. Reason being is that these languages are not as developed as English or Spanish. See, I'm not even speaking in Tagalog, or Bisaya or else my arguement would have so many holes in them.

MY OPINION:
1. Let us stop hating what Spain did to us. It was a hundred years ago. Some of you are probably a result of their conquest. I'm proud of being a Filipino. I'm sad that we were B#tches of these countries(AM, SPAN). But its impossible to deny that they are a vital part of our history, and present day culture. "Que sera sera"
2. Let us allow our children to learn the languange of revolutionary heroes. kiss.gif What is more patriotic than learning the text of Rizal(the way it was meant to be written). We are so seperate and disgusted by this part of our history that we know very little about it.
3. I'm not saying revive Spanish. I'm saying let our children know what really happened in our history. Let them know why we are as we are. We must know how our culture came to be.
4. Spanish could just have easily been our 2nd official language just as English was. So we should try to learn even just a bit of Spanish - just enough to be able to understandably read Rizal, and other bayanihan.
5. BASIC Spanish should be a compulsory elective(but can be substituted with Mandarin or any language in the private sector) in Elementary. Not exactly compulsory but rather, automatic if you don't say you want to switch to Mandarin or other. Reading Filipino works in Spanish should be done in High school and discussed.
6. I want to suggest a new optional highschool elective subject called "RIZAL" were we discuss "El Fili" and "Noli" whole year round.
7. If ever I strike it rich laugh.gif , I'm going to open free schools in the Phil's, condition in that some subjects may be in Spanish. It'll be a trilingual school of course. Filipino, Spanish, and English.

SIDEBAR: Sigue - my favorite Filipino word other than Mahal - in Spain means "you continue".
BRAGGING OF SUCCESS IN SPANISH: I've only had one year of Spanish here in the States. It was so easy- being filipino and all. And I can already read a bunch of Spanish articles. I don't think I've ever been closer to Filipino nationalism as I do today.

Our culture is bigger than our Malay Ancestry, or Spanish Colonial past, or American Occupational. It is all these three wonderful cultures combined, more than the sum of its parts ,making something completely unique in the world - a PHILIPINO culture.
Denying any of these things, and we risk being just a shadow of our potential.
Our victories may be rare, but our struggles are legendary. Filipinos are brave, strong, passionate, and peaceful.

I love my heritage, my culture, my country, my history(painful as it is).
I love Filipino, Bisaya, Chobacano. I even love Spanish and English. I love America and Spain because there is always A PLACE FOR Filipinos in these 2 countries. I forgive them of their debt to us, as Jesus would have If he was a Filipino(In my heart he is).
I love you Philippines, Filipinas, Pilipinas, Pinas.... love2.gif love2.gif love2.gif

This post has been edited by Torete_ako_sa_yo: Jul 2 2006, 09:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Jul 2 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

kiss.gif viva la espana papi, yo gusto mucho macarena!! kiss.gif

This post has been edited by dalawapo: Jul 2 2006, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
Cristiano_Ronald...
post Jul 2 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

I was just watching the headline news in TFC about Spain lending us a helping hand with some money and i've got to thank them for that. Otherwise, I really don't care about Spain.

+Quote Post
supernovasp
post Jul 2 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #4

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

Empower your own culture and language is the best IMO. I mean the dominance of Spanish extends to the South America, and it has less influences in the world's economy and politics comparing to English, France, and eventually Chinese

+Quote Post
filipinoy
post Jul 3 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

yey 2po is postin again

+Quote Post
flipcombatmedic
post Jul 3 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #6

AF Supreme
Group Icon

nobody really speaks spanish now. the ear of spanish domination is over. there isn't quiet a need for it. if you are arguing for bring "potential" power, shouldn't we then learn indian and chinese (also has big influence in modern Filipino) ? i think not.

let's learn ourselves before we started adding stuff up. if you want to learn spanish more power to you, but lets not make it compulsary.

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Jul 3 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #7

AF Supreme
Group Icon

IPB Image

We are the Conquistador, you will be assimilated, your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is... desesperado

+Quote Post
islander
post Jul 3 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #8

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(supernovasp @ Jul 2 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]2013152[/snapback]

Empower your own culture and language is the best IMO. I mean the dominance of Spanish extends to the South America, and it has less influences in the world's economy and politics comparing to English, France, and eventually Chinese

Your right about empowering your own culture and lang.. Outsourcing is why you need to speak Spanish in PHI. Ask Hamlet. embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif (Jk. is from another post)

Has for languages:
Why Chinese and Spanish? China is fast becoming an economic superpower. The recent visit to Seattle by China's President Hu Jintao serves as a clear reminder of the potential economic challenges and opportunities that China poses for Washington. It's crucial that our work force include enough Chinese speakers so we're ready.

Many Washington students already learn Spanish, but not until middle school. Learning it sooner will make them more fluent. In addition, it's important for our state to capitalize on potential trade opportunities in Spanish-speaking parts of Central and South America.

and this:
Spanish Language: World´s 2nd Fastest Growing Language. Are You Studyng It ?
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:50 AM
(Industry: Lifestyle)

Madrid, Spain -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/06/2006 -- Between 1980-2040 the world´s Spanish-speaking population will increase a 103 %, as UNO estimations indicate. 538 million people will have Spanish as first language.

23,45 millions of Europeans (excluded the Spaniards) declared to be able to speak Spanish, as Instituto Cervantes published recently. In 2001, 3,4 million European citizens studied Don Quijote´s language.

English is still leading the interest for those who want to learn a foreign language , and Chinese Mandarin keeps its first position as the world´s most spoken language –1.000 million native speakers.

Spanish, with 402 million native speakers in 2005, is becoming a popular choice when deciding a new foreign language to learn. Why learn Spanish? 68% of the students take this decision for job-related reasons.

US and Chinese each learning each others lang. because of business. US learning Spanish since have big Hispanic pop. good for business and politics. China will learn it since it is good for business. They have and are making many contracts for resources in Hispanic america. In the future probably eveyone will be speaking a new mixed lang. created out of Eng., Span., Chinese and Indian.

+Quote Post
RL33
post Jul 3 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(islander @ Jul 3 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]2015308[/snapback]

Your right about empowering your own culture and lang.. Outsourcing is why you need to speak Spanish in PHI. Ask Hamlet. embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif (Jk. is from another post)

Has for languages:

and this:

US and Chinese each learning each others lang. because of business. US learning Spanish since have big Hispanic pop. good for business and politics. China will learn it since it is good for business. They have and are making many contracts for resources in Hispanic america. In the future probably eveyone will be speaking a new mixed lang. created out of Eng., Span., Chinese and Indian.

There is a fictional language similar to what u described in the movie Code 46.

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post Jul 4 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #10

AF Elite
Group Icon

Majority of tagalog words is Spanish therefore tagalog maybe semi-hispanic.

Min Nan (Fukien) and Yueh (Cantonese) Chinese

Apo (Fukien Chinese: Ang-kong)-Grandfather
Ate (Fukien Chinese: A-chi)-Eldest Sister
Bagwa (Fukien Chinese)-Feng Shui sign hung on the door
Bakya (Fukien Chinese)-Native Sandals
Batsoy (Fukien Chinese)-Pork
Bihon -Vermicelli
Bitsin (Fukien Chinese: Bi chhin)-Monosodium Glutamate
Buwisit/Buwiset (Fukien Chinese: Bo-ni)-Bad Luck
Kuya (Cantonese Chinese: Ko-ko)-Eldest Brother
Ditse (Fukien Chinese:Di-chi)-Second Sister
Gunting (Unknown Chinese dialect)-Scissor
Hikaw (Fukien Chinese: Hi-kao)-Ear rings
Husi (Fukien Chinese)-Cloth made from Pineapple fibers
Impo (Fukien Chinese: A-ma)-Grandmother
Jueteng (Fukien Chinese)-Gambling
Lumpia (Fukien Chinese)-Spring Rolls
Mami (Fukien Chinese: Mi)-Noodles in Soup
Pati (Fukien Chinese)-Including
Pansit (Fukien Chinese)-Noodles in Sauce
Pechay (Fukien Chinese)- Chinese cabbage (literal, white vegetable)
Santse (Fukien Chinese:San-chi)-Third Sister
Sitsit (Fukien Chinese)-Gossip
Siyansi (Fukien Chinese)-A Kitchen utensil
Siyopaw (Fukien Chinese: Sio-pao)-Dough ball filled with pork/beef/carabao/cat meat
Sungki (Fukien Chinese)-Malocclusion
Susi (Fukien Chinese: So-si)-Key
Tina (Fukien Chinese)-Dye
Tinga (Fukien Chinese)-Foreign matter in teeth
Tingi (Fukien Chinese)-Selling at retail
Tokwa (Fukien Chinese:Tok-oa)-Soybean Curd
Totso (Fukien Chinese)-Sauteed fish
Toyo (Fukien Chinese:Tao-iu)-Soy sauce

English
English has been used in everyday Tagalog conversation. This kind of conversation is called Taglish. English words borrowed by Tagalog are modern and technical terms. But, English words are also used for short usage (many Tagalog words translated from English are very long) or to avoid literal translation that makes the meaning bad and repetition of the same particular Tagalog word. English makes the second largest vocabulary of Tagalog after Spanish. In written language, English words in a Tagalog sentence are written as they are. But, they are sometimes written through Tagalog transliteration. Here are some examples:

Basket - basket
Basketbol - basketball
Breyk - break
Dayari - diary
Dikri - decree
Drayber - driver
Dyip - jeep
Elementari - elementary
Eksport - export
Greyd - grade
Groseri - grocery
Iskor - score
Kostomer/Kustomer - customer
Kompyuter - computer
Manedyer - manager
Masel - muscle
Misis (Tagalog transliteration of "Mrs.") - used as a term for "wife"
Mister - used as a term for "husband"
Pulis - police
Skrin - screen
Sori - sorry
Suspek - suspect
Taksi - taxi
Trapik - traffic
Traysikel - tricycle
Treyning - training

Nahuatl (Aztec Mexican)
Achuete (Nahuatl: Achiotl; Mexican Spanish: Achiote) - annatto seeds used to give food a reddish color
Cacahuete (Nahuatl: Tlacucahuatl) - peanut
Cocoa (Nahuatl: Cacahuatl) - cacao or cocoa
Guayaba (Nahuatl: Guayava) - fruit and tree of the Psidium guajava plant; guava or guwaba or bayabas
Kamote (Nahuatl: Camotli) - sweet potato
Nanay (Nahuatl: Nantl) - mother
Palengke (Nahuatl: Palenque) - flea market
Pitaka (Nahuatl: Petlacalli- container made of petate; suitcase ) - coin purse
Petate (Nahuatl: Petlatl) - weaved mattress
Sakate (Nahuatl: Zacatl) - herb
Sayote (Nahuatl: Chayotli; Mexican Spanish: Chayote) - a Mexican squash
Sili (pronounced SEE-leh) (Nahuatl: Chilli) - chili
Singkamas (Nahuatl: Xicamatl- jicama) - a sweet root crop.
Suchil (Nahuatl: Xochitl) - flower (aside: town of 'Juchitlán' in the state of Jalisco in Mexico is the hispanization of a Nahuatl name meaning "place near an abundance of flowers" or "place among flowers"; "Juchit" is a hispanization of "Xochitl".)
Tamal/Tamale (Nahuatl: Tamalli) - tamale
Tatay (Nahuatl: Tatl) - father
Tiyangge (Nahuatl: Tianquiztli; Mexican Spanish: Tianguis) - seasonal markets
Tsokolate (Nahuatl: Xocolatl) - chocolate
Tsonggo (Nahuatl: Chongo) - monkey
Zapote (Nahuatl: Tzapotl) - fruit and tree of the Diospyros digyna plant; sapodilla. also know as "Chico" in

Nihongo (Japanese)
Barabara - scattered; disperse
Dahan-dahan (Nihongo: Dandan) - slowly; gradually
Haba - length (width or breadth in Nihongo)
Kaban - sack of rice (bag, satchel, basket in Nihongo)

Malay
Ako (Malay:Aku)-I
Anak (Malay:Anak)-Child
Babuy (Malay: Babi)-Pig
Basa (Malay-Basah)-Wet
Batik (Malay:Batik)-blemish
Bawang (Malay:Bawang)-garlic
Dalamhati (Malay: Daram + hati)-grief
Dalubhasa (Malay: Juru bahasa)-expert
Dila (Batak:Lida)tongue.gif
Duriyan (Malay: Durian)-fruit and tree of the Durio zibethinus plant
Inum (Malay: Minum)-Drink
Kanan (Malay:Kanan)-Right
Kalapati (Malay:Merpati) - Pigeon
Kiri (Malay:Kiri)-A flirty woman
Lalake (Malay: Lelaki) -Male
Laksamana (Malay: Laksamana)-chief
Lima (Malay:Lima) - Five
Luwalhati (Malay: Luwar+Hati)-glory
Mahal (Malay:Mahar)- Expensive
Rambutan (Malay: Rambutan)-fruit and tree of the Nephelium lappaceum plant
Sarap (Malay: Sedap)-delicious
Tanghali (Malay: Tengah-hari)-Lunch
Tawa/Kakatawa (Malay: Tawa/Ketawa)embarassedlaugh.gif
Timog (Malay: Timur)-south
Tiyanak (Malay:Patay-anak also Pontianak)-the malevolent spirit of an aborted fetus
Tulong (Malay: Tolong)help.gif

Sanskrit
Alak (Sanskrit: arak)-wine
Bahagi (Sanskrit: Bhag)-part or portion
Braman (Sanskrit: Brahman)
Bramin (Sanskrit: Brahmin)-highest Hindu caste consisting of priests
Diwata (Sanskrit: Devanta)-fairy
Dukha (Sanskrit: Dukkha)-destitute
Guro (Sanskrit, Hindi: Guru)-teacher, mentor
Karma (Sanskrit: Karma)
Katha (Sanskrit: Katha)-creation
Mahárlika (Sanskrit: Mahardhikka)- nobility
Mukha (Sanskrit: Mukha)-face
Sutla (Sanskrit: sutra)-silk
Yaya (Sanskrit: Aya)-babysitter

Spanish
Spanish is the language that has bequeathed the most loan words to Tagalog. According to linguists, Spanish (5,000) has even surpassed Malayo-Indonesian (3,500) in terms of loan words borrowed. Although Spanish and Tagalog are entirely different languages, they have become somewhat mutually intelligible, albeit with much difficulty on the Spanish-speakers' side. About 40% of everyday (informal) Tagalog conversation is practically made up of Spanish loanwords. An example is the sentence below, wherein Spanish-derived words are italicized:

Puwede ba akong umupo sa silya sa tabi ng bintana habang nasa biyahe tayo sa eroplano? (Can I sit in the seat nearest the window in the duration of our trip in the airplane?)

In this list, the borrowed Spanish terms of various countries and nationalities have not been included. Also, most Spanish terms borrowed by Tagalog in specific technical fields such as Medicine and Law have not been included due to space limitations.

Abandonada (Castilian Spanish:Abandonado): Abandon
Abanse (Castilian Spanish:Avance): Advance
Aberya (Castilian Spanish: Averia): Hassles
Abono (Castilian Spanish: Abono): Guarantee
Abrihin (Castilian Spanish: Abrir): To open
Abrelata (Castilian Spanish: abrir+lata)-can opener
Abril (Castilian Spanish:Abril):April
Abugado (Castilian Spanish:Abogado):Lawyer, Attorney
Abuso (Castilian Spanish:Abuso):Abuse
Aksidente (Castilian Spanish:Accidente):Accident
Adurnuhan (Castilian Spanish: Adorno):To decorate
Agrabiyado (Castilian Spanish: Agraviado): To aggraviate
Aginaldo (Castilian Spanish: Aguinaldo): Christmas gift
Agosto (Castilian Spanish: Agosto):August
Ahensiya (Castilian Spanish: Agencia):Agency
Ahente (Castilian Spanish:Agente): Agent
Alahas (Castilian Spanish: Alhaja):Jewelry, ornaments, adornment, pendants
Alambre (Castilian Spanish: Alambre): Wire mesh
Alkansiya (Castilian Spanish: Alcancia):Coin bank
Alkila/Arkila (Castilian Spanish:Alquilar):To rent
Almusal (Castilian Spanish: Almuerzo):Breakfast
Almirol (Castilian Spanish: Almidon):Starch
Alpilir (Castilian Spanish: Alfiler): Pins
Alsa (Castilian Spanish: Alzar): To revolt, to insinuate
Altapresyon (Castilian Spanish:Alta+presion):High Blood Pressure
Amargoso (Castilian Spanish: Amargoso): Bitter gourd
Ambisyoso (Castilian Spanish: Ambicioso): Ambitious
Ambisyon (Castilian Spanish: Ambicion): Ambition
Amiga/o (Castilian Spanish: Amiga/o): Friend (Used in Tagalog as 'bastard')
Andar (Castilian Spanish:Andar)-To walk (Used in Tagalog as ‘to move’)
Anghel (Castilian Spanish:Angel)-Angel
Ankla (Castilian Spanish:Ancla)-Anchor
Anumalya (Castilian Spanish:Anomalia)-Anomaly
Antemano (Castilian Spanish:Antemano)-Beforehand
Aplikante (Castilian Spanish:Aplicante)-Applicant
Aprobitsahan (Castilian Spanish:Aprovechar)-To take advantage of
Apura/do (Castilian Spanish:Apuro)-In a hurry
Arangkada (Castilian Spanish:Arrancar)-To start
Aribahan (Castilian Spanish:Arriba)-To make better
Areglado (Castilian Spanish:Arreglado)-To recompense
Arina (Castilian Spanish:Harina)-Flour
Arinola (Castilian Spanish:Orinola)-Urinal
Aritis (Castilian Spanish:Aretes)-Earrings
Arkitekto (Castilian Spanish:Arquitecto)-Architect
Armado (Castilian Spanish:Armado)-Equipped with heavy arms
Armibal (Castilian Spanish:Almíbar)-Molasses, syrup
Artista (Castilian Spanish:Artista)-Actor/actress
Aryos (Castilian Spanish:Arreos)-Ornaments, body decorations
Asar (Castilian Spanish:Azar)-To annoy
Asintado (Castilian Spanish:Asentado)-Used to describe an aimed gunshot
Asero (Castilian Spanish:Acero)-Steel
Asno (Castilian Spanish:Asno)-Donkey
Asoge (Castilian Spanish:Azogue)-Mercury
Asosasyon (Castilian Spanish:Asociación)-Association
Asta (Castilian Spanish:Hasta)-Make fast (Used in Tagalog as ‘rude movements’)
Asukal (Castilian Spanish:Azucar)-Sugar
Asul (Castilian Spanish:Azul)-Blue
Atendihan (Castilian Spanish:Atender)-To attend upon
Ayudan (Castilian Spanish:Ayuda)-To offer support
Bagahe (Castilian Spanish:Bagaje)-Baggage
Baho (Castilian Spanish:Bajo)-Under
Bakalaw (Castilian Spanish:Bacalao)-Cod
Bakasyon (Castilian Spanish:Vacacion)-Vacation
Bakunahan (Castilian Spanish:Vacuna)-To vaccinate
Bala (Castilian Spanish:Bala)-Bullet
Balansehin (Castilian Spanish:Balance)-To equilibrate
Balbas (Castilian Spanish:Barbas)-Mustache
Balde (Castilian Spanish:Balde)-Pail
Bale (Castilian Spanish:Vale)- 1. Worth, 2. Advance wages, 3. To mind, to bother
Balkonahe (Castilian Spanish:Balcon)-Balcony, terrace
Balwarte (Castilian Spanish:Baluarte)-Stronghold
Balon (Castilian Spanish:Balon)-Well
Balyena (Castilian Spanish:Ballena)-Whale
Bamos (Castilian Spanish:Vamos)-We go to.
Banda (Castilian Spanish:Banda)- 1. Near a place, 2. Rock band
Bandila (Castilian Spanish:Bandera)-Flag
Bangka (Castilian Spanish:Banca)-Boat
Bangkero (Castilian Spanish:Banquero)-1. Boatman, 2. Banker
Bangko (Castilian Spanish:Banco)BanBus.gifk
Bangkarote (Castilian Spanish:Bancarrota)-Bankruptcy
Bandera (Castilian Spanish:Bañera)-Bathtub
Banyo (Castilian Spanish:Baño)-Toilets
Baraha (Castilian Spanish:Baraja)-Deck of playing cards
Baratillo (Castilian Spanish:Baratillo)-Bargain sale
Barato (Castilian Spanish:Barato)-Cheap (Used in Tagalog as both ‘cheap’ and ‘bribery’)
Barbakwa (Castilian Spanish:Barbacoa)-Barbecue
Barbero (Castilian Spanish:Barbero)-Barber
Barbula (Castilian Spanish:Válvula)-Valve
Barko (Castilian Spanish:Barco)-Ship
Barnis (Castilian Spanish:Barniz)-Varnish
Baryo (Castilian Spanish:Barrio)-Village
Basihan (Castilian Spanish:Base)-Basis
Basta (Castilian Spanish:Basta)-Suffices
Baston (Castilian Spanish:Baston)-Rod
Bastos (Castilian Spanish:Bastos)-Fresh, rude, uncouth
Basura (Castilian Spanish:Basura)-Trash, waste
Batirin (Castilian Spanish:Batir)-TO beat (in laundry)
Batuta (Castilian Spanish:Batuta)-Rod
Baúl (Castilian Spanish:Baúl)-Treasure chest
Bayoneta (Castilian Spanish:Bayoneta)-Bayonet
Benta (Castilian Spanish:Venta)-To sell
Bentahan (Castilian Spanish:Venta)-Store, shop, market
Berde (Castilian Spanish:Verde)-Green
Berdugo (Castilian Spanish:Verdugo)-Mercenary
Berso (Castilian Spanish:Verso)-Verse
Beses (Castilian Spanish:Veces)-Times
Bestida (Castilian Spanish:Vestida)-Dress
Beterano (Castilian Spanish:Veterano)-Veteran
Beterinaryo (Castilian Spanish:Veterinario)-Veterinarian
Bente/Beynte (Castilian Spanish:Veinte)-Twenty
Bibiron (Castilian Spanish:Biberon)-To drink (Used in Tagalog as ‘baby’s bottle’)
Biblia (Castilian Spanish:Biblia)-Bible
Bibo (Castilian Spanish:Vivo)-Alive
Bida (Castilian Spanish:Vida)-Life (Used in Tagalog as ‘lead actor/actress’)
Bigote (Castilian Spanish:Bigote)-Beard
Bilyaran (Castilian Spanish:Billar)-Billiard
Bindisyunan (Castilian Spanish:Bendicion)-To bless
Bino (Castilian Spanish:Vino)-Wine
Bintana (Castilian Spanish:Ventana)-Window
Bintilador (Castilian Spanish:Ventilador)-Electric fan
Birhen (Castilian Spanish:Virgen)-Virgin
Bisagra (Castilian Spanish:Bisagra)-Hinge
Bisikleta (Castilian Spanish:Bicicleta)-Bicycle
Bisitahin (Castilian Spanish:Visita)-To visit
Biskotso (Castilian Spanish:Biscocho)-Biscuit
Bísperas (Castilian Spanish:Vispera)-Vesper, eve
Bisperas ng Pasko (Castilian Spanish:Vispera de Pascua)-Christmas Eve
Bistek (Castilian Spanish:Bistec)-Beefsteak
Bisto (Castilian Spanish:Visto)-Seen (Used in Tagalog as ‘seen during the action of doing a crime’)
Bisugo (Castilian Spanish:Besugo)-Bream
Bisyo (Castilian Spanish:Vicio)-Vices
Bitamina (Castilian Spanish:Vitamina)-Vitamins
Biyahe (Castilian Spanish:Viaje)-Travel
Biyernes (Castilian Spanish:Viernes)-Friday
Biyuda (Castilian Spanish:Viuda)-Widow
Biyudo (Castilian Spanish:Viduo)-Widower
Biyurokrasiya (Castilian Spanish:Burocracia)-Bureaucracy
Bodega (Castilian Spanish:Bodega)-Storage room
Bokabularyo (Castilian Spanish:Vocabulario)-Vocabulary
Boksing (Castilian Spanish:Boxear)-Boxing
Bola (Castilian Spanish:Bola)-Ball
Bolador (Castilian Spanish:Volador)-Kite
Boluntario (Castilian Spanish:Voluntario)-Voluntary
Bomba (Castilian Spanish:Bomba)-(To) pump, (To) bomb
Bota (Castilian Spanish:Bota)-Boots
Boto (Castilian Spanish:Boto)-To elect
Botika (Castilian Spanish:Botica)-Pharmacy, drug store
Braso (Castilian Spanish:Brazo)-Arm
Bronse (Castilian Spanish:Bronce)-Bronze
Bruha (Castilian Spanish:Bruja)-Witch
Budismo/Buddhismo (Castilian Spanish: Budismo)-Buddhism
Budista/Buddhista (Castilian Spanish: Budista)-Buddhist
Bulkan (Castilian Spanish:Volcan)-Volcano
Bulsa (Castilian Spanish:Bolsa)-Purse
Burahin (Castilian Spanish:Borrar)-To erase
Burda (Castilian Spanish:Borda)-To embroider
Bulgar (Castilian Spanish:Vulgar)-Uncouth words
Burgis (Castilian Spanish:Burgues)-Bourgeoisie, the Middle class
Buriko (Castilian Spanish:Burrico)-Donkey
Busina (Castilian Spanish:Bocina)-Horn (of a car)
Butilya (Castilian Spanish:Botella)-Bottle
Butones (Castilian Spanish:Botones)-Buttons
Buwelo (Castilian Spanish:Vuelo)-To shift gears
Buwelta (Castilian Spanish:Vuelta)-To reverse
Chicharón/Sitsarón (Castilian Spanish: chicarrón) – fried crackling
Confucianismo (Castilian Spanish: Confucianismo)-Confucianism
Dasal/Pagdarasal (Castilian Spanish: rezar)-prayer
Dalanghita (Castilian Spanish:Naranjita)-Fruit and tree of the Citrus reticulata plant.
Debate (Castilian Spanish:Debate)-To engage in debate
Dekano (Castilian Spanish:Decano)-Dean
Lista ng Dekano (Castilian Spanish:Lista de Decano)-Dean’s List (DL)
Deklarasyon (Castilian Spanish:Declaracion)-Declaration
Dekorasyon (Castilian Spanish:Decoración)-Decoration, ornament
Delikado (Castilian Spanish:Delicado)-Dangerous
Demanda (Castilian Spanish:Demanda)-Demand
Demokrasiya (Castilian Spanish:Democracia)-Democracy
Dentista (Castilian Spanish:Dentista)-Dentist
Departamento (Castilian Spanish:Departamento)-Department, bureau
Depensa (Castilian Spanish:Defensa)-To defend one’s self
Deposito (Castilian Spanish:Deposito)-Deposit
Demonyo (Castilian Spanish:Demonio)-Demon, evil spirit
Desisyon (Castilian Spanish:Decisión)-Decision
Despidida (Castilian Spanish:Despedida)-Farewell party
Destino(asyón) (Castilian Spanish:Destino(acion))-Destination
Determinasyon (Castilian Spanish:Determinación)-Determination
Diborsyo (Castilian Spanish:Divorcio)-Divorce
Direktoryo (Castilian Spanish:Directorio)-Directory
Disente (Castilian Spanish:Decente)-Decent, well-mannered
Disgrasiya (Castilian Spanish:Desgracia)-Accident, disgrace
Dismaya (Castilian Spanish:Desmayar)-To dismay
Dispatsa (Castilian Spanish:Despacha)-To dispatch
Diyos (Castilian Spanish:Dios)-God
Diosa (Castilian Spanish:Diosa)-Goddess
Doble (Castilian Spanish:Doble)-Double
Doktor/a (Castilian Spanish: doctor/a)-doctor
Don (Castilian Spanish: don)-man of noble ancestry
Donya (Castilian Spanish:Doña)-Lady of a noble ancestry
Dose (Castilian Spanish:Doce)-Twelve
Dosena (Castilian Spanish:Docena)-A dozen
Drama (Castilian Spanish:Drama)-Drama
Droga (Castilian Spanish:Droga)-Drugs, medicine (Used in Tagalog as ‘illegal drugs’)
Duda (Castilian Spanish:Duda)-Doubt
Dulse (Castilian Spanish:Dulce)-Candy, sweets
Edisyon (Castilian Spanish:Edicion)-Edition, revision
Ehemplo (Castilian Spanish:Ejemplo)-Example, paradigm
Ekis (Castilian Spanish:Equis)-To cross out
Ekonomiya (Castilian Spanish:Economia)-Economy
Eksamen (Castilian Spanish:Examen)-Exam
Eksena (Castilian Spanish:Ecsena)-Scene
Ekslusibo (Castilian Spanish:Exclusivo)-Exclusive
Eksperimento (Castilian Spanish:Experimento)-Experiment, trial, practice
Ekspiryensiya (Castilian Spanish:Experiencia)-Experience
Eleksiyon (Castilian Spanish:Eleccion)-Election
Elektrika (Castilian Spanish:Electrica)-Electrician
Elektrisidad (Castilian Spanish:Electricity)-Electricity
Elisi (Castilian Spanish:Helice)-Propeller
Embutido (Castilian Spanish:Embotido)-Sausage
Empanada (Castilian Spanish:Empanada)-Pastry, pie
Empleyado (Castilian Spanish:Empleado)-Employee
Empleyo (Castilian Spanish:Empleo)-Work
Engkargado (Castilian Spanish:Encargado)-Agent, Representative, Manager
Engkwadernador (Castilian Spanish:Encuadernador)-Bookbinder
Ensayo (Castilian Spanish:Ensayo)-Essay (Used in Tagalog as ‘practice’)
Entablado (Castilian Spanish:Entablado)-Begun (Used in Tagalog as ‘podium, stage’)
Entonses (Castilian Spanish:Entonces)-Then, at that time (Used in Tagalog as ‘elite’)
Entra (Castilian Spanish:Entrar)-To enter
Entrada (Castilian Spanish:Entrada)-Entrance door
Ermitanyo (Castilian Spanish:Ermitaño)-Hermit
Eroplano (Castilian Spanish:Aeroplano)-Airplane
Eskabetse (Castilian Spanish:Escabeche)-Any pickled dish
Eskaparate (Castilian Spanish:Escaparate)-Shop window
Espada (Castilian Spanish:Espada)-Lance, sword, dagger
Espanya (Castilian Spanish:España)-Spain
Espanyol/a (Castilian Spanish: Español/a)-Spaniard/Spanish
Espesiyalista (Castilian Spanish:Especialista)-Specialist
Espiritista (Castilian Spanish:Espiritista)-Spiritist
Espiritu (Castilian Spanish:Espiritu)-Spirit
Espiritu Santo (Castilian Spanish:Espiritu Santo)-Holy Spirit
Establisimiyento (Castilian Spanish:Establecimiento)-Establishment
Estapa/Estafa (Castilian Spanish:Estafa)-Swindle, trick, racket (Used in Tagalog as ‘Criminal case due to swindling’)
Fashionista (Philippine Spanish:Fashionista)-Fashionist
Funeraria (Castilian Spanish:Funeraria)-Funeral chapels
Gala (Castilian Spanish: Gala)-Elegance
Galante (Castilian Spanish:Galante)-Gallant
Galon (Castilian Spanish:Gallon)-Gallon
Gambas (Castilian Spanish:Gambas)-Prawn
Gana (Castilian Spanish:Gana)-Appetite
Ganansiya (Castilian Spanish:Ganancia)-Profit, gain
Gansa (Castilian Spanish:Ganso)-Duck
Gansulsilyo (Castilian Spanish:Ganchosillo)-Crocket hook
Garahe (Castilian Spanish:Garaje)-Garage, parking area
Garantisado(ya) (Castilian Spanish:Garantisado(a))-Guarantee, Warranty
Garapata (Castilian Spanish:Garrapata)-Fleas and ticks
Garbansos (Castilian Spanish:Garbanzos)-Chickpeas
Garbo (Castilian Spanish:Garbo)-Glamour, elegance
Gasolina (Castilian Spanish:Gasolina)-Gasoline
Garote (Castilian Spanish:Garrote)-Gallows
Gastos (Castilian Spanish:Gastos)-Expenses
Gerilya (Castilian Spanish:Guerilla)-Revolution
Gisado/Guisado (Castilian Spanish:Guisado)-Stew or casserole
Gisa (Castilian Spanish:Guisar)-To stew, to cook
Gisantes (Castilian Spanish:Guisantes)-Sweet peas
Gitara (Castilian Spanish:Guitarra)music.gif
Giyera/Gera (Castilian Spanish:Guerra)-War
Globo (Castilian Spanish:Globo)-Globe
Gloriya (Castilian Spanish:Gloria)-Glory
Gobernador (Castilian Spanish:Governador)-Governor
Gobernador-Heneral (Castilian Spanish:Governador-General)-Governor-General
Gobyerno (Castilian Spanish:Govierno)-Government
Gulpi (Castilian Spanish:Golpe)-Punishment in the forms of a punch, blow, shock, smack, or beat.
Gulpi de Gulat (Castilian Spanish:Golpe)-Immediate punishment
Gulpi de Estado (Castilian Spanish:Golpe de Estado)-Coup-d’etat
Goma (Castilian Spanish:Goma)-Rubber
Grabe (Castilian Spanish)-Grave, serious, exaggerated
Grado (Castilian Spanish:Grado)-Grade, level (Usually used in Tagalog as ‘opthalmologic grade’)
Gramo (Castilian Spanish:Gramo)-Gram
Granada (Castilian Spanish:Granada)-Grenade
Grasa (Castilian Spanish:Grasa)-Fat, grease (Usually used in Tagalog as ‘car oil’)
Grasya (Castilian Spanish:Gracia)-Grace (Colloquially used in Tagalog as ‘food’)
Grasya galing sa Dios (Castilian Spanish:Gracia)-Food (‘’lit., grace from the Lord’’)
Gusto (Castilian Spanish:Gusto)-Like, want, desire
Guwantes (Castilian Spanish:Guante)-Glove
Guwapo (Castilian Spanish:Guapo)-Handsome, smart-looking, flashy
Guwardiya (Castilian Spanish:Guardia)-Security guard
Gwardiya Sibil (Castilian Spanish:Guardia Civil)-Civil guards
Hamon (Castilian Spanish:Jamon)-Ham
Hapon (Castilian Spanish:Japon)-Japan
Hardin (Castilian Spanish:Jardin)-Garden
Hasyenda/Asyenda/Hacienda (Castilian Spanish:Hacienda)-In the Philippines, vast traces of land belonging to families of Spanish descent.
Hatsa (Castilian Spanish:Hacha)-Axe
Heneral (Castilian Spanish:General)-General
Hepe (Castilian Spanish:Jefe)-Chief
Hepe ng Pulisya (Castilian Spanish:Jefe de Policia)-Chief of Police
Hesu Kristo/Jesu Cristo (Castilian Spanish:Jesu Cristo)-Jesus Christ
Hesus (Castilian Spanish:Jesus)-Jesus
Hesusmaryosep/Susmaryosep (Castilian Spanish:Jesus, Maria, y Jose)-Jesus, Mary, and Joseph (Used in Tagalog as a form of expression)
Higante (Castilian Spanish:Gigante)-Giant
Himno (Castilian Spanish:Himno)-Hymn
Hinebra/Ginebra (Castilian Spanish:Ginebra)-Gin
Hinete (Castilian Spanish:Jinete)-Jockey(Equestrian sports)
Hitsura/Itsura (Castilian Spanish:Hechura)-Looks
Horible (Castilian Spanish:Horrible)-Horrible
Hudiyo/Judio (Castilian Spanish:Judio)-A Jew
Huramentado (Castilian Spanish:Juramentado)-Swear (Used in Tagalog as ‘temper tantrums’)
Husgado (Castilian Spanish:Jusgado)-Justice system
Husto (Castilian Spanish:Justo)-Just, right, enough
Huwebes (Castilian Spanish:Jueves)-Thursday
Huwes (Castilian Spanish:Juez)-Judge
Idad (Castilian Spanish:Edad)-Age
Idolo (Castilian Spanish:Idolo)-Idol
Iglesia (Castilian Spanish:Iglesia)-Church, chapel, temple, sanctuary
Iglesia ni Cristo (Castilian Spanish:Iglesia de Cristo)-Church of Christ
Ignisyon (Castilian Spanish:Ignicion)-Ignition
Ignorante (Castilian Spanish:Ignorante)-Ignorant
Iho (Castilian Spanish:Hijo)-Son
Ilegal (Castilian Spanish:Ilegal)-Illegal, forbidden
Imbento (Castilian Spanish:Inventar)-To invent
Imbes (Castilian Spanish:Enves)-Back, wrong side (Used in Tagalog as ‘instead of’)
Imbestigasyon (Castilian Spanish:Investigacion)-Investigation, probe
Imburnal (Philippine Spanish:Inbornal)-Canal (Colloquially used in Tagalog as ‘foul-smelling’)
Imburnal na hininga (Philippine Spanish:Inbornal)-Bad breath (‘’lit., foul-smelling breath’’)
Imigrasyon (Castilian Spanish:Imigracion)-Immigration
Impluwensiya (Castilian Spanish:Influencia)-To wield an influence
Impormasyon (Castilian Spanish:Informacion)-Information
Importante (Castilian Spanish:Importante)-Important
Imposible (Castilian Spanish:Imposible)-Impossible
Inagurasyon (Castilian Spanish:Inauguracion)-Inauguration
Inano (Castilian Spanish:Enano)-Dwarf
Industriya (Castilian Spanish:Industriya)-Industry
Inganyo/Enganyo (Castilian Spanish:Engaño)-To inspire
Ingles (Castilian Spanish:Ingles)-English
Iniksiyon (Castilian Spanish:Inyeccion)-Injection
Insekto (Castilian Spanish:Insecto)-Insect
Instigahin (Castilian Spanish:Intigar)-To instigate
Instrumento (Castilian Spanish:Instrumento)-Instrument, tool
Intelihente (Castilian Spanish:Inteligente)-Intelligent, intelligence
Intindihin (Castilian Spanish:Entender)-To understand, to comprehend
Interes (Castilian Spanish:Interes)-Interest
Interes na Pampersunal (Castilian Spanish:Interes de Personal)-Personal Interest
Intriga (Castilian Spanish:Intriga)-Intrigue (Used in Tagalog as ‘gossip, hearsay’)
Iritahin (Castilian Spanish:Irritar)-To irritate
Iskandalo (Castilian Spanish:Escandalo)-To scan (Used in Tagalog as ‘to scandalize’)
Iskapo (Castilian Spanish:Escapo)-Escapee
Iskinita (Castilian Spanish:Esquina)-Corner (Used in Tagalog as ‘alley’)
Iskuwela (Castilian Spanish:Escuela)-School
Isla (Castilian Spanish:Isla)-Island
Mga Isla ng Filipinas (Castilian Spanish:Las Islas Filipinas)-The Philippine Islands
Islam (Castilian Spanish: Islam)-Islam
Isnabin (Castilian Spanish:Esnob)-Snobbish
Ispeho (Castilian Spanish:Espejo)-Mirror
Ispiso (Castilian Spanish:Espeso)-Thick
Istasyon (Castilian Spanish:Estacion)-Station
Istasyon ng Barko (Castilian Spanish:Estacion de Barco)-Port
Istasyon ng Bus (Castilian Spanish:Estacion de Bus)-Bus Station
Istasyon ng Tren (Castilian Spanish:Estacion de Tren)-Railway Station
Istatwa (Castilian Spanish:Estatua)-Statue
Istranhero (Castilian Spanish:Extranjero)-Foreigner, outsider, alien
Kabayo (Castilian Spanish:Cavallo)-Horse
Kable (Castilian Spanish:Cable)-Cable
Kada (Castilian Spanish:Cada)-Every
Kadete (Castilian Spanish:Cadete)-Cadet
Kadena (Castilian Spanish:Cadena)-Chain
Kadena de Amor (Castilian Spanish:Cadena de Amor)
Kaha (Castilian Spanish:Caja)-Chain
Kahon (Castilian Spanish:Cajon)-Box
Kalabasa (Castilian Spanish:Calabaza)-Pumpkin or squash
Kalabaw (Philippine Spanish:Carabao)-Water Buffalo
Kalamaris (Castilian Spanish:Calamares)-Squid
Kaldero (Castilian Spanish:Caldero)-Boiler
Kalendaryo (Castilian Spanish:Calendario)-Calendar
Kalesa (Philippine Spanish:Caleza)-Horse-drawn carriage
Kalsada (Castilian Spanish:Calzada)-Road
Kalson (Castilian Spanish:Calzon)-Male underpants
Kalsonsilyo/Karsonsilyo (Castilian Spanish:Calzoncillo)-Briefs
Kalye (Castilian Spanish:Calle)-Street
Kamara (Castilian Spanish:Camara)-Chamber of Congress
Kamera (Castilian Spanish:Camera)-Camera
Kambiyo (Castilian Spanish:Cambio)-Change (Usually used in Tagalog to denote ‘shifting or changing gears’)
Kamisa(eta) (Castilian Spanish:Camisa(eta))-Shirt
Kamisa de Tsino (Philippine Spanish:Camisa de Chino)-Shirt worn under the Barong tagalog, the national shirt of the Philippines.
Kampana (Castilian Spanish:Campana)-Bell
Kampanaryo (Castilian Spanish:Campanario)-Bell tower
Kampiyon (Castilian Spanish:Campeon)-Champion
Kampiyonato (Castilian Spanish:Campeonato)-Championship
Kampo (Castilian Spanish:Campo)-Camp
Kanal (Castilian Spanish:Canal)-Canal
Kandado (Castilian Spanish:Candado)-Chain
Kandila (Castilian Spanish:Candela)-Candle
Kanta (Castilian Spanish:Cantar)-To sing
Kantilado (Castilian Spanish:Acantilado)-Cliff
Kapasidad (Castilian Spanish:Capacidad)-Capacity
Kapilya (Castilian Spanish:Capilla)-Chapel, sanctuary
Kapitolyo (Castilian Spanish:Capitolio)-Capitol
Kapote (Castilian Spanish:Capote)-Rain Jacket
Kapsula (Castilian Spanish:Capsula)-Capsule, tablet
Karburador (Castilian Spanish:Carburador)-Carburetor
Karera (Castilian Spanish:Carera)-1. Career, 2. Races
Karga (Castilian Spanish:Carga)-To carry
Kargadero (Castilian Spanish:Cargadero)-Porter
Kargahin (Castilian Spanish:Carga)-Things to carry
Karitela (Philippine Spanish:Carritela)-Horse-drawn carriage
Karne (Castilian Spanish:Carne)-Meat
Karnero (Castilian Spanish:Carnero)-Ram
Karpintero (Castilian Spanish:Carpintero)-Carpenter
Kartero (Castilian Spanish:Cartero)-Postman, Mailman
Karwahe (Castilian Spanish:Carruaje)-Carriage
Kasal (Castilian Spanish:Casar)-Marriage
Kasilyas (Castilian Spanish:Casillas)-Rest Rooms, toilet
Kaso (Castilian Spanish:Caso)-Case
Kaspa (Castilian Spanish:Caspa)-Dandruff
Kastiguhin (Castilian Spanish:Castigo)-Punishment
Kastila (Castilian Spanish:Castellano)-Castilian Spanish
Katedral (Castilian Spanish:Catedral)-Cathedral
Katoliko Romano (Castilian Spanish:Catolico Romano)-Roman Catholic
Kerida (Castilian Spanish:Querida)-Darling (Used in Tagalog as 'mistress, concubine')
Keso (Castilian Spanish:Quezo)-Cheese
Kiha (Castilian Spanish:Queja)-To complain
Kimika (Castilian Spanish:Quemica)-Chemistry
Kinse (Castilian Spanish:Quince)-Twelve
Klaro (Castilian Spanish:Claro)-Clear
Klase (Castilian Spanish:Clase)-Class, status
Klima (Castilian Spanish:Clima)-Climate, weather
Klinika (Castilian Spanish:Clinica)-Clinic
Kliyente (Castilian Spanish:Cliente)-Client
Kobra (Castilian Spanish:Cobra)-Cobra
Kobrador (Castilian Spanish:Cobrador)-Collector
Kodigo (Castilian Spanish:Codigo)-Code
Kolera (Castilian Spanish:Colera)-Cholera
Komandante (Castilian Spanish:Comandante)-Commandant
Kombinasyon (Castilian Spanish:Combinacion)-Combination
Komediyante (Castilian Spanish:Comediante)-Comedian
Komediya (Castilian Spanish:Comedia)-Comedy
Komedor (Castilian Spanish:Comedor)-Dining Room
Komersyo (Castilian Spanish:Comercio)-Commerce
Kompromiso (Castilian Spanish:Compromiso-Compromise
Komunista (Castilian Spanish:Comunista)-Communist
Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas (Castilian Spanish:Partido Comunista del Filipinas)-Communist Party of the Philippines
Konduktor (Castilian Spanish:Conductor)-Conductor
Kongga (Cuban Spanish: conga)-a kind of dance
Konsulta (Castilian Spanish:Consulta)-Consult
Konsumo (Castilian Spanish:Consumo)-Consume
Konsuwelo (Castilian Spanish:Consuelo)-Consolation
Kontrabando (Castilian Spanish:Contrabando)-Contraband
Kontra (Castilian Spanish:Contra)-Against, versus
Kontrabida (Castilian Spanish:Contra+Vida)-Against life (Used in Tagalog as ‘villain’).
Kontrata (Castilian Spanish:Contrata)deal.gif
Kopya (Castilian Spanish:Copia)- 1. To copy, 2. A copy
Kordilyera (Castilian Spanish:Cordillera)-Mountain range
Koro (Castilian Spanish:Coro)-Chorus
Korta (Castilian Spanish:Cortapluma)-Penknife
Korte (Castilian Spanish:Corte)-Court
Korte Suprema (Castilian Spanish:Corte Suprema)-Supreme Court
Kotse (Castilian Spanish:Coche)-Car, automobile, vehicle
Krimen (Castilian Spanish:Crimen)- crime
Kristal (Castilian Spanish:Cristal)-Crystalline gems
Kristyano (Castilian Spanish: Cristiano)-Christian
Kristyanismo (Castilian Spanish: Cristianismo)-Christianity
Krus (Castilian Spanish:Cruz)-Cross
Krus ni Hesus (Castilian Spanish:Cruz de Jesus)-Cross of Jesus
Kubra (Castilian Spanish:Cobrar)-To collect
Kultura (Castilian Spanish:Cultura)-Culture
Kumare (Castilian Spanish:Comadre)-Godmother
Kumbento (Castilian Spanish:Convento)-Convent
Kumpadre (Castilian Spanish:Compadre)-Godfather
Kumpanya (Castilian Spanish:Compania)-Company
Kumpara (Castilian Spanish:Comparar)-To compare
Kumpisal (Castilian Spanish:Confezar)-TO confess one’s sins to the priest
Kumpiyansa (Castilian Spanish:Confianza)-Confidence
Kumporme/Komporme (Castilian Spanish:Conforme)-To conform
Kunsiderahin (Castilian Spanish:Considera)-To consider
Kurbata (Castilian Spanish:Corbata)-Necktie
Kurso (Castilian Spanish:Curso)-Degree program, course
Kurtina (Castilian Spanish:Cortina)-Curtain
Kusina (Castilian Spanish:Cocina)-Kitchen
Kusinero(a) (Castilian Spanish:Cocinero(a))-Cook, chef
Kutis (Castilian Spanish:Cutis)-Skin (Used in Tagalog as ‘physiognomy’)
Kutsilyo (Castilian Spanish:Cuchillo)-Knife
Kutsero (Castilian Spanish:Cochero)-Carriage driver
Kutson (Castilian Spanish:Colchon)-Mattress
Kuwaresma (Castilian Spanish:Cuaresma)-Easter
Kuwenta (Castilian Spanish:Cuenta)-1. To count, 2. The cost
Kuwento (Castilian Spanish:Cuento)-Story
Kuwadro (Castilian Spanish:Cuadro)-Picture
Kuwarenta (Castilian Spanish:Cuarenta)-Forty
Kuwarto (Castilian Spanish:Cuarto)-Room
Kuwidarin (Castilian Spanish:Cuidar)-TO take care of, to babysit
Lababo (Castilian Spanish:Lavabo)-Washroom
Laba (Castilian Spanish:Lava)-TO wash clothes
Labaha (Castilian Spanish:Navaja)-Switchblade
Labandera (Castilian Spanish:Lavandera)-A maid who washes clothes
Lampara (Castilian Spanish:Lampara)-Lamp
Lansa, lansang (Castilian Spanish:Lanzar)-To throw
Lantad (Castilian Spanish:Adelantar)-To advance in own’s position/to expose
Lantaran (Castilian Spanish: adelantar)-exposure
Lapida (Castilian Spanish:Lapida)-Tombstone
Lapis (Castilian Spanish:Lapiz)-Pencil
Lata (Castilian Spanish:Lata)-Can
Latigo (Castilian Spanish:Latigo)whip.gif, to whip
Legal (Castilian Spanish:Legal)-Legal
Ilegal (Castilian Spanish:Ilegal)-Illegal
Leksiyon (Castilian Spanish:Leccion)-Lesson
Lenggwahe (Castilian Spanish:Lenguaje)-Language
Lente (Castilian Spanish:Lente)-Lens
Letra (Castilian Spanish:Letra)-Letter
Letse (Castilian Spanish:Leche)-Milk (Used in Tagalog as ‘motherfu-ker’)
Liberal (Castilian Spanish:Liberal)-Liberal
Iibre (Castilian Spanish:Libre)-Free
Libro (Castilian Spanish:Libro)book.gif
Liha (Castilian Spanish:Lija)-Sandpaper
Limitasyon (Castilian Spanish:Limitacion)-Limitation
Limon (Castilian Spanish:Limon)-Lemon
Limpiyo (Castilian Spanish:Limpiar)-To clean
Limpiyabota (Castilian Spanish:Limpiar+bota)-Shoe shine
Linya (Castilian Spanish:Linea)-Line
Lisensya (Castilian Spanish:Licencia)-License
Listo (Castilian Spanish:Listo)-Smart
Liyon (Castilian Spanish:Leon)-Lion
Lokal (Castilian Spanish:Local)-Local
Loko (Castilian Spanish:Loco)-Deranged, psychopathologically challenged
Longanisa (Philippine Spanish: Longaniza)-A type of sausage whose skin is made of pig intestines.
Lugar (Castilian Spanish:Lugar)-Place, location
Lusis (Castilian Spanish:Luces)-Firecracker
Lyabe, Yawe (Castilian Spanish:Llave)-Key
Matsete (Castilian Spanish:Machete)-A type of knife
Madre (Castilian Spanish:Madre)-Mother (Used in Tagalog as ‘nun’)
Maestro (Castilian Spanish:Maestro)-Teacher, professor
Mais (Castilian Spanish:Maiz)-Corn, maize
Makina (Castilian Spanish:Maquina)-Machine
Makinarya (Castilian Spanish:Maquinaria)-Machinery
Maldita (Castilian Spanish:Maldita)-Stepmother
Maldito (Castilian Spanish:Maldito)-Stepfather
Maleta (Castilian Spanish:Maleta)-Bag (Used in Tagalog as suitcase)
Malisyosa (Castilian Spanish:Maliciosa)-Malicious
Malisya (Castilian Spanish:Malicia)-Malice
Mama (Castilian Spanish:Mama)-Mother
Mambo (Cuban Spanish: mambo)-a kind of dance
Mandar (Castilian Spanish:Mandar)-To send
Maneho (Castilian Spanish:Manejo)-To drive
Manibela (Castilian Spanish:Manivela)-Steering wheel
Manika (Castilian Spanish:Muneca)-Doll
Mano (Castilian Spanish:Mano)-Hand (Used in Tagalog to denote a particular custom among the locals).
Mansanas (Castilian Spanish:Manzana)-Apple
Mantilya (Castilian Spanish:Mantilla)-Swadding clothes
Mantsa (Castilian Spanish:Mancha)-Spot, mark
Manyakis (Castilian Spanish:Maniaco)-Maniacal, a maniac
Mapa (Castilian Spanish:Mapa)-Map
Marka (Castilian Spanish:Marca)-1. To mark, 2. School grades, 3. Semester (-han)
Marmol (Castilian Spanish:Marmol)-Marble
Martilyo (Castilian Spanish:Martillo)-Hammer
Masahe (Castilian Spanish:Masaje)-Massage
Masahista (Castilian Spanish:Masajista)-Masseur
Maskara (Castilian Spanish:Maskara)-Mask
Maskulado (Castilian Spanish:Masculado)-A person endowed with heavy muscles
Materyales (Castilian Spanish:Materiales)-Materials
Matso (Castilian Spanish:Macho)-Strong, tough
Mawsoleyo (Castilian Spanish:Mausoleo)-Mausoleum, tomb
Medalya (Castilian Spanish:Medalla)-Medal
Medisina (Castilian Spanish:Medicina)-Medicine
Medya (Castilian Spanish:Media)-Half
Medyas (Castilian Spanish:Medias)-Half (Used in Tagalog as ‘socks’)
Medyo (Castilian Spanish:Medio)-Enough
Melon (Castilian Spanish:Melon)-Melon
Menor (Castilian Spanish:Menor)-Inferior (Used in Tagalog as ‘to make slower’)
Menos (Castilian Spanish:Menos)-Less, minus
Mensahe (Castilian Spanish:Mensaje)-Message
Menudo (Castilian Spanish:Menudo_ A beef stew
Meryenda (Castilian Spanish:Merienda)-Brunch, snack
Mesa, lamesa (Castilian Spanish:Mesa)-Table
Mestiso (Castilian Spanish:Mestizo)-Half-breed
Mestisong Amerikano (Castilian Spanish:Mestizo de Americano)-American-Filipino
Mestisong Arabo (Castilian Spanish:Mestizo de Arabo)-Arabian-Filipino
Mestisong Kastila (Castilian Spanish:Mestizo de Castellano)-Spanish-Filipino
Mestisong Tsino (Castilian Spanish:Mestizo de Chino)-Chinese-Filipino
Metro (Castilian Spanish:Metro)-1, Meter, 2. Metropolitan Area, 3.Rail transit system
Milagro (Castilian Spanish:Milagro)-Miracle
Mil (Castilian Spanish:Mil)-Thousand
Minuto (Castilian Spanish:Minuto)-Minute
Misa (Castilian Spanish:Misa)-Mass
Miserable (Castilian Spanish:Miserable)-Miserable
Mismo (Castilian Spanish:Ahora Mismo)-Right Away
Ora Mismo (Castilian Spanish:Hora Mismo)-Exactly
Misteryo (Castilian Spanish:Misterio)-Mystery
Misyon (Castilian Spanish:Mision)-Mission
Mitin (Castilian Spanish:Mitin)-Meeting
Mitin de Abanse (Castilian Spanish:Mitin de Avance)-Advance meeting (Used in Tagalog as ‘political platform’)
Miyembro (Castilian Spanish:Miembro)-Member
Moda (Castilian Spanish:Moda)-Fashion mode
Moderno (Castilian Spanish:Moderno)-Modern
Modelo (Castilian Spanish:Modelo)-Fashion model
Mongha/Monghe (Castilian Spanish: monja/monje)-monk
Monte, Montanyosa (Castilian Spanish:Monte, Montanosa)-Mountain
Monumento (Castilian Spanish:Monumento)-Monument
Gran Monumento (Castilian Spanish:Gran Monumento)-Bonifacio Monument in Caloocan City.
Moreno (Castilian Spanish:Moreno)-Brown physique
Motor (Castilian Spanish:Motor)-Motor
Mutsatsa/o (Castilian Spanish:Muchacha/o)-Boy or girl (Used in Tagalog as ‘servant’ and ‘househelper’)
Multa (Castilian Spanish:Multa)-Fee
Mundo (Castilian Spanish:Mundo)-Mundo
Munisipiyo (Castilian Spanish:Municipio)-Municipal hall (In Tagalog, this also means ‘City hall’)
Musika (Castilian Spanish:Musica)-Music
Muwelye (Castilian Spanish:Muelle)-Docking area, pier
Nada (Castilian Spanish:Nada)-No more, nothingness
Narkotiko (Castilian Spanish:Narkotiko)-Narcotics
Nasyonalista (Castilian Spanish:Nacionalista)-Nationalist
Nasyon (Castilian Spanish:Nacion)-Nation, country, state
Nata (Castilian Spanish:Nata)-Cream
Nata de Coco (Castilian Spanish:Nata de Coco)-Coconut Cream
Natural (Castilian Spanish:Ntural)-Natural
Natibo (Castilian Spanish:Nativo)-Native
Negatibo (Castilian Spanish:Negativo)-Negative
Negosyante (Castilian Spanish:Negociante)-Entrepreneur
Negosyo (Castilian Spanish:Negocio)-Business establishment, store
Negro/Negra (Castilian Spanish:Negro/Negro)-A person of black physique
Negrong Amerikano (Castilian Spanish:Negro Americano)-A person of African-American heritage.
Nerbiyoso (Castilian Spanish:Nervioso)-Nervous
Ni (Castilian Spanish:Ni)-Neither, Nor (Eg., Ni hindi ka na...-You are not even...)
Ninyo (Castilian Spanish:Nino)-Child
Santo Ninyo (Castilian Spanish:Santo Nino)-Holy Child; Infant Jesus
Nitso (Castilian Spanish:Nicho)-Niche
Nobyembre (Castilian Spanish:Noviembre)-November
Nobyo (Castilian Spanish:Novio)-Boyfriend, fiancé
Nobya (Castilian Spanish:Novia)-Girlfriend, fiancée
Normal (Castilian Spanish:Normal)-Normal
Norte (Castilian Spanish:Norte)-North
Taga-Norte (Castilian Spanish:Norte)-Northerner
Nota (Castilian Spanish:Nota)-Note
Notaryo (Castilian Spanish:Notario)-Notary
Notaryo Publika (Castilian Spanish:Notario Publica)-Notary Public
Notisya (Castilian Spanish:Noticia-Notice
Novena (Castilian Spanish:Novena)-To pray using the Rosary
Numero (Castilian Spanish:Numero)-Number
Nungka (Castilian Spanish:Nunca)-Never
Nuwes (Castilian Spanish:Nuez)-Nuts, walnut
Nuwes Muskada (Castilian Spanish:Nuez Moscada)-Nutmeg
Obispo (Castilian Spanish:Obispo)-Bishop
Obra Maestra (Castilian Spanish: Obra maestra)-Finest work
Obserba (han) (Castilian Spanish:Observa)-TO observe, observation
Okasyon (Castilian Spanish:Ocasion)-Occasion
Oktubre (Castilian Spanish:Octubre)-October
Okupado (han) (Castilian Spanish:Ocupado)-Occupied, to occupy
Onse (Castilian Spanish:Once)-Eleven (Used in Tagalog as ‘doublecrosser’)
Opera (han) (Castilian Spanish:Operar)-To operate
Operasyon (Castilian Spanish:Operacion)-Operation
Operasyon siruhiya (Castilian Spanish:Operacion de cirugia)-Surgical operation
Oportunidad (Castilian Spanish:Oportunidad)_Opportunity
Oras (Castilian Spanish:Hora)-Hour
Orasyon (Castilian Spanish:Oracion)-Oration
Ordenador (Castilian Spanish:Ordenador)-Computer
Ordinaryo (Castilian Spanish:Ordinario)-Ordinary
Organisasyon (Castilian Spanish:Organizacion)-Organization, association, company
Organista (Castilian Spanish:Organista)-Organist, pianist
Orihinal (Castilian Spanish:Original)-Original
Ornamento (Castilian Spanish:Ornamento)-Ornaments, decorations, add-ons
Otro (Castilian Spanish:Otro)-Others
Oy! (Castilian Spanish:Oye!;Oiga!)-Hey!
Pabor (Castilian Spanish:Favor)-Favor
Por Pabor (Castilian Spanish:Por Favor)-Please
Paborito (Castilian Spanish:Favorito)-Favorite
Pabrika (Castilian Spanish:Fabrica)-Factory
Pader (Castilian Spanish:Pared)-Wall
Padre (Castilian Spanish:Padre)-Father (Used in Tagalog as ‘priests, friars’)
Padre de Pamilya (Castilian Spanish:Padre de Familia)-Father, dad
Padrino (Castilian Spanish:Padrino)-Godfather
Pahina (Castilian Spanish:Pagina)-Page, sheet, sleeve
Pakete (Castilian Spanish:Paquete)-Packet
Palanggana (Castilian Spanish:Palangana)-Wash basin
Pala (Castilian Spanish:Pala)-Shovel
Palasyo (Castilian Spanish:Palacio)-Palace, mansion
Palo (Castilian Spanish:Palo)-Stick
Palya (Castilian Spanish:Falla)-To fail, to give up
Pamilya (Castilian Spanish:Familia)-Family
Paminta (Castilian Spanish:Pimienta)-Pepper
Pan (Castilian Spanish:Pan)-Bread
Pandesal (Castilian Spanish:Pan de Sal)-Saltine bread
Pantalon (Castilian Spanish:Pantalon)-Trousers, pants
Pantasya (Castilian Spanish:Fantasia)-Fantasy
Pantiyon (Castilian Spanish:Panteon)-Pantheon, vaults
Panuwelo (Castilian Spanish:Panuelo)-Handkerchief
Papa (Castilian Spanish:Papa)-Father, dad
Papaya (Philippine Spanish:Papaya)-Tree and fruit of the ‘’Carica papaya’’ plant.
Papel (Castilian Spanish:Papel)-Paper
Para (Castilian Spanish:Parar)-To stop (Used in Tagalog when calling the attention the jeepney driver to stop)
Parada (Castilian Spanish:Parada)-To park, parking area, parade, festival
Para (Castilian Spanish:Para)-For
Pareho (Castilian Spanish:Parejo)-Same
Pari (pronounced PAH-reh) (Castilian Spanish:Padre)-priest
Parke (Castilian Spanish:Parque)-Park, open space
Parokya (Castilian Spanish:Parroquia)-Parish
Parte (Castilian Spanish:Parte)-Part, section, portion
Partido (Castilian Spanish:Partido)party.gif
Partido Liberal (Castilian Spanish:Partido Liberal)-Liberal Party
Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas (Castilian Spanish:Partido Comunista del Filipinas)-Communist Party of the Philippines
Partido Nasyonalista (Castilian Spanish:Partido Nacionalista)-Nationalist Party
Partido Pulitikal (Castilian Spanish:Partido Political)-Political party
Partisipasyon (Castilian Spanish:Participacion)-Participation
Paryente (Castilian Spanish:Pariente)-Relative
Pasado (Castilian Spanish:Pasado)-Passed
Pasahe (Castilian Spanish:Pasaje)-Fare
Pasahero (Castilian Spanish:Pasajero)-Passenger
Pasas (Castilian Spanish:Pasa)-Raisin
Pasensya (Castilian Spanish:Pacencia)-Patient, patience
Pasko (Castilian Spanish:Pascua de Navidad)-Christmas
Pasko ng Pagkabuhay (Castilian Spanish:Pascua de Resurreccion)-Easter
Pastilya (Castilian Spanish:Pastilla)-Candy
Pasto (Castilian Spanish:Pasto)-Pasture
Pastor (Castilian Spanish:Pastor)-Pastor
Patatas (Castilian Spanish:Patatas)-Potato
Patilya (Castilian Spanish:Patilla)-Sideburns
Patio (Castilian Spanish:Patio)-Patio
Pato (Castilian Spanish:Pato)-Duck
Patotsada (Castilian Spanish:Patochada)-Blunder
Patrolya (Castilian Spanish:Patrolla)-Patrol
Pebrero (Castilian Spanish:Febrero)-February
Peligro (Castilian Spanish:Peligro)-Danger
Pelikula (Castilian Spanish:Pelicula)-Film
Pelota (Castilian Spanish:Pelota)-Pelota
Penitensya (Castilian Spanish:Penitencia)-Penitence
Perlas (Castilian Spanish:Perlas)-Pearls
Pero (Castilian Spanish:Pero)-But
Perpekto (Castilian Spanish:Perfecto)-Perfect
Permanente (Castilian Spanish:Permanent)-Permanent
Personal (Castilian Spanish:Personal)-Personal
Perya (Castilian Spanish:Feria)-Fair
Peryodiko (Castilian Spanish:Periodico)-Newspaper, periodicals, magazine
Petisyon (Castilian Spanish:Peticion)-Petition
Petsa (Castilian Spanish:Fecha)-Date
Piko (Castilian Spanish:Pico)-Peak
Pila (Castilian Spanish:Pila)-Line, queue
Pildi (Castilian Spanish:Perder)-To waste, to lose
Pilduras (Castilian Spanish:Pilduras)-Pills, tablet
Piloto (Castilian Spanish:Piloto)-Pilot
Pilyo (Castilian Spanish:Pillo)_Michievious
Pintor (Castilian Spanish:Pintor)-Painter
Pintura (Castilian Spanish:Pintura)-Paint
Pinya (Castilian Spanish:Pina)-Pineapple
Pipino (Castilian Spanish:Pepino)-Cucumber
Piraso (Castilian Spanish:Pedazo)-Piece, portion, bit
Pirata (Castilian Spanish:Pirata)-Pirate
Pirata ng DVD (Castilian Spanish:Pirata de DVD)-Illegal DVD copy vendors
Pisara (Castilian Spanish:Pizara)-Blackboard
Piso (Castilian Spanish:Peso)-Weight (Currency of the Philippines)
Pista (Castilian Spanish:Fiesta)-Festival
Piston (Castilian Spanish:Piston)-Piston
Pito (Castilian Spanish:Pito)-Whistle
Pitso (Castilian Spanish:Pecho)-Chest (Used only in Tagalog as ‘chicken breast’)
Piyanista (Castilian Spanish:Pianista)-Pianist
Piyano (Castilian Spanish:Piano)-Piano
Piyesa (Castilian Spanish:Pieza)-Piece, recital piece
Plaka (Castilian Spanish:Placa)-Plate
Plaka ng Numero (Castilian Spanish:Placa de Numero)-Plate Number
Plantsa (Castilian Spanish:Plancha)-To iron, Iron
Planeta (Castilian Spanish:Planeta)-Planet
Plano (Castilian Spanish:Plano)-Plano
Planta (Castilian Spanish:Plant)-Plant
Plastik (Castilian Spanish:Plastic)-Plastic (Used in Tagalog to denote a backbiter)
Plato (Castilian Spanish:Plasto)-Plate
Plaza (Castilian Spanish:Plaza)-Plaza
Poblasyon (Castilian Spanish:Poblacion)-City or town proper
Pobre (Castilian Spanish:Pobre)-Poor
Poema (Castilian Spanish:Poema)-Poem
Polboron (Castilian Spanish:Polvoron)-A native delicacy made of cashew nuts and powdered flour
Polio (Castilian Spanish:Polio)-Poliomyelitis
Pomada (Castilian Spanish:Pomada)-Styling gel
Pondo (Castilian Spanish:Fondo)-Fund
Popular (Castilian Spanish:Popular)-Popular
Porke (Castilian Spanish: Porque)-Because
Porselana (Castilian Spanish:Porcelana)-Porcelain
Posibilidad (Castilian Spanish:Posibilidad)-Possibility
Posible (Castilian Spanish:Posible)-Possible
Poso (Castilian Spanish:Pozo)-Well, shaft
Poso Artesiyano (Castilian Spanish:Pozo Artesiano)-Artesian well
Poso Negro (Castilian Spanish: Pozo Negro)-Cesspool
Postura (Castilian Spanish:Postura)-Posture
Premyo (Castilian Spanish:Premio)-Reward, recompense
Preparado (Castilian Spanish:Preparado)-Prepared
Prepara (Castilian Spanish:Preparar)-To prepare
Presenta (Castilian Spanish:Presenta)-TO present
Presentasyon (Castilian Spanish:Presentacion)-Presentation
Presidente (Castilian Spanish:Presidente)-President
Presko (Castilian Spanish:Fresco)-1. Fresh, 2. Rude, lacking manners
Presyo (Castilian Spanish:Presyo)-Price
Presyon (Castilian Spanish:Presion)-Pressure
Primero (Castilian Spanish:Primero)-First
Preno (Castilian Spanish:Freno)-Brake
Preso (Castilian Spanish:Preso)-Prisoner
Pribado (Castilian Spanish:Privado)_Private
Prinsipe (Castilian Spanish:Principe)-Prince
Prito (Castilian Spanish:Frito)-Fried
Problema (Castilian Spanish:Problema)-Problem, burden
Produkto (Castilian Spanish:Producto)-Product
Programa (Castilian Spanish:Programa)_Program
Pronton (Castilian Spanish:Fronton)-Pelota court
Profesor (Castilian Spanish:Propesor)-Professor, teacher
Protestante (Castilian Spanish:Protestante)-Protestant
Protesta (Castilian Spanish:Protesta)-To protest
Proyekto (Castilian Spanish:Projecto)-Project
Prosesyon (Castilian Spanish:Procesion)-Procession
Prutas (Castilian Spanish:Frutas)-Fruit
Pruweba (Castilian Spanish:Prueba)-Proof
Publikasyon (Castilian Spanish:Publicacion)-Publication
Publiko (Castilian Spanish:Publico)_Public
Publisidad (Castilian Spanish:Publicidad)-Publicity
Puchero (Castilian Spanish:Pochero)
Pueblo (Castilian Spanish:Pueblo)-City, town
Pulbos (Castilian Spanish:Pulvos)-Powder
Pulbura (Castilian Spanish:Polvora)-Gunpowder
Pulgada (Castilian Spanish:Pulgada)-Inch
Pulgas (Castilian Spanish:Pulgas)-Fleas
Pulisya (Castilian Spanish:Policia)-Police
Pulitika (Castilian Spanish:Politica)-Politics
Pulmonya (Castilian Spanish:Pulmonia)-Pneumonia
Pulso (Castilian Spanish:Pulso)-Pulse
Pundador (Castilian Spanish:Fundador)-Founder
Pundasyon (Castilian Spanish:Fundacion)-Foundation
Punto (Castilian Spanish:Punto)Point
Purga (Castilian Spanish:Purga)-Laxative
Puro (Castilian Spanish:Puro)-Pure
Pustiso (Castilian Spanish:Postizo)-Denture
Putahe (Castilian Spanish:Potaje)_Mixed food
Puwede (Castilian Spanish:Puede)-Can, may, able to
Puwera (Castilian Spanish:Puera)-Beside
Puwersa (Castilian Spanish:Fuerza)-Force
Puwerta (Castilian Spanish:Puerta)-Door (Used in Tagalog as 'hymen')
Puwerto (Castilian Spanish:Puerto)-Door
Puwesto (Castilian Spanish:Puesto)-Post
Pwes (Castilian Spanish:Pues)-Since, then
Radar (Castilian Spanish:Radar)-Radar
Radikal (Castilian Spanish:radical)-Radical, revolutionary
Radyo (Castilian Spanish:radio)-Radio
Raketa (Castilian Spanish:raqueta)-Racket
Rampa (Castilian Spanish:rampa)-Ramp, to field
Rapido (Castilian Spanish:rapido)-Rapid, fast
Rasonable (Castilian Spanish:razonable)-Reasonable, justified, fair
Rason (Castilian Spanish:razon)-Reason
Rasyon (Castilian Spanish:racion)-Ration
Rayuma (Castilian Spanish:reuma)-Rheumatic Arthritis
Rebelde (Castilian Spanish:rebelde)-Rebel
Rebolber (Castilian Spanish:revolver)-Revolver gun
Rebolusyon (Castilian Spanish:revolucion)-Revolution
Rebolusyong Puwersa ng Masa (Castilian Spanish:revolucion de fuerza de masa)-People’s Power Revolution
Rekomendasyon (Castilian Spanish:recommendacion)-Recommendation
Redusi (Castilian Spanish:reducer)-To reduce, to lessen
Regalo (Castilian Spanish:regalo)-Presents, gifts
Rehistro (Castilian Spanish:registro)-Cash register
Rekomendasyon (Castilian Spanish:recomendacion)-Recommendation
Relasyon (Castilian Spanish:relacion)-Relations, exchanges
Relihiyon (Castilian Spanish:religion)-Religion, faiths, beliefs
Relihiyoso (Castilian Spanish:religioso)-Religious
Relo (Castilian Spanish:reloj)-Watch
Relyeno (Castilian Spanish:relleno)-Stuffing
Inirelyenong Manok (Castilian Spanish:relleno)-Chicken with stuffed eggs, peas, cheese, and bacon bits.
Remedyo (Castilian Spanish:remedio)-Remedy, treatment
Renta (Castilian Spanish:renta)-Rent, lease
Reporma (Castilian Spanish:reforma)-Reform, renew
Representado (Castilian Spanish:representado)-Representant, ambassador
Republika (Castilian Spanish:republica)-Republican country
Republika ng Pilipinas (Castilian Spanish:Republica del Filipinas)-Republic of the Philippines
Reputasyon (Castilian Spanish:reputacion)-reputation
Reserba (Castilian Spanish:reserva)-reserve
Reseta (Castilian Spanish:receta)-Prescription, recipe, cooking directions
Restawrante (Castilian Spanish:restaurante)-Restaurant, eatery
Retoke (Castilian Spanish:retoque)-Touching-up, re-masking
Pagretoke ng ilong (Castilian Spanish:retoque)-Rhinoplasty
Pagretoke ng mukha (Castilian Spanish:retoque)-Face lift
Pagretoke ng talukap-mata (Castilian Spanish:retoque)-Blepharoplasty
Realidad (Castilian Spanish:realidad)-Reality
Rebanse (Castilian Spanish:revancha)-Revenge
Regla (Castilian Spanish:regla)-Rule (Used in Tagalog as ‘menstruation’)
Reyunyon (Castilian Spanish:reunion)-Reunion, get-together, family affair
Ripara (Castilian Spanish:reparar)-To repair
Rosaryo (Castilian Spanish: rosario)-rosary
Rubí (Castilian Spanish: rubí) - ruby
Rumba (Cuban Spanish: rumba)- a kind of dance
Sabado (Castilian Spanish:Sabado)- Saturday
Salsa (Cuban Spanish: salsa)-a kind of dance
Sarsa (Castilian Spanish:Salsa)-Sauce
Sedula (Castilian Spanish: cédula)-certificate
Senyor (Castilian Spanish: señor)-Mr./Sir
Senyora (Castilian Spanish: señora)-Mrs./Madam
Senyorita (Castilian Spanish: señorita)-Miss/Madam
Serbesa (Castilian Spanish: cerveza)-beer
Sinturón (Castilian Spanish: cinturón) - belt
Suporta (Castilian Spanish: suporta)-support
Suportado/Suportahan (Castilian Spanish: suportar)-supported/to support
Swerte (Castilian Spanish:suerte)-fate/destiny/luck
Syempre (Castilian Spanish:siempre)-of course
Tanggo (Argentine Spanish: tango)-a kind of dance
Trabahador/a (Castilian Spanish: trabajador/a)-employee/laborer/worker
Trabaho (Castilian Spanish: trabajo)-job/labor/work
Trato (Castilian Spanish:trato)-treatment
Traydor (Castilian Spanish:traidor)-traitor
Turón (Castilian Spanish: turrón) – deep-fried banana wrapped in flour-made paper

+Quote Post
supernovasp
post Jul 4 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #11

AF Supreme
Group Icon

^^ sounds more like a creole language than a "semi-hispanic" IMO

+Quote Post
Torete_ako_sa_yo
post Jul 5 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

I just thought like it was 25% in tagalog, and like 35% in Bisaya, 50% in Chovacano.

Kinsa is who in Bisaya - theory is that it comes from "A Quien es" - to whom. Sounds far fetched.
Gra-be(bisaya) - It means huge, or wow, or --- could it be from Grave, as in "A grave error" like grabe na sayop.
Sinta -Sienta - love in Filipino means "I felt" or some like that in Spanish
Sige - Sigue "you continue"
Sangunian - Sangui - latin for "blood"
fishes - peces "Think about it" in italian its pronounced "peshis" spelled pescis, like peshis fishes (Pilipino Filipino)
Tara (lets go in bisaya)- Chatara - lets go in Spanish.
Palabas - news - is from the "Palabras" which is Spanish for "words"

Malay origin - Also Visaya comes from Kingdom Sri Vijaya. j and s are interchanged like sabon and jabon(j is pronounced like the g in rouge.

I da know, wierd stuff, some thories of mine. laugh.gif

Remember English also share many words in Spanish.
Sympathetic - know how some one feels. Simpatico - kind.

This post has been edited by Torete_ako_sa_yo: Jul 5 2006, 08:16 AM

+Quote Post
Kanlungan
post Jul 5 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

Everybody's learning Mandarin. Chinese schools in the Philippines are starting to empower their students' Mandarin skills; whilst many Universities in the Philippines are starting to offer Mandarin..

Chavacano nalang kaya? It would be easier to Filipinos since it's a Spanish pidgin...

I think the origin of Nanay and Tatay is still ambiguous. Some historians cite that it is of Sanskrit origin; some of Nahuatl orgin.

P.S. Spain is not our mother country anymore; neither is Uncle Sam. Please stop refering to Spain as mother country. Lagyan niyo naman ng former

Nana and Tata are Sanskrit for mother and father

This post has been edited by Kanlungan: Jul 5 2006, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
flipcombatmedic
post Jul 5 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #14

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kanlungan @ Jul 5 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]2023283[/snapback]

Everybody's learning Mandarin. Chinese schools in the Philippines are starting to empower their students' Mandarin skills; whilst many Universities in the Philippines are starting to offer Mandarin..

Chavacano nalang kaya? It would be easier to Filipinos since it's a Spanish pidgin...

I think the origin of Nanay and Tatay is still ambiguous. Some historians cite that it is of Sanskrit origin; some of Nahuatl orgin.

P.S. Spain is not our mother country anymore; neither is Uncle Sam. Please stop refering to Spain as mother country. Lagyan niyo naman ng former

Nana and Tata are Sanskrit for mother and father

spain was never our mother country. i can understand if Americans say that English was the mother country, but Filipinos were in Philippines before the Europeans arrived.

and to torete, sinta, i don't think that's spanish origin. sinta is also used in other malay languages i think.

This post has been edited by flipcombatmedic: Jul 5 2006, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
Digital Insanity
post Jul 5 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

Sinong nakaalaala nito:

"Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makararating sa paroonan."

Kung tutuusin, hindi uunlad and 'Pinas kapag panay ang pagkait natin sa mga bagay na makatutulong sa atin, bilang isang lipunan, na galing sa mga Kastila.

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post Jul 6 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #16

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(flipcombatmedic @ Jul 5 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]2023290[/snapback]

spain was never our mother country. i can understand if Americans say that English was the mother country, but Filipinos were in Philippines before the Europeans arrived.

and to torete, sinta, i don't think that's spanish origin. sinta is also used in other malay languages i think.

I think the Philippines was declared a province of Spain called Felipinas. The Philippines under the Americans was a commonwealth nation which was a candidate for statehood but when the US offered us to be a state, we declined instead we became independent.

This post has been edited by martin_nuke: Jul 6 2006, 09:13 PM

+Quote Post
flipcombatmedic
post Jul 6 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #17

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE(martin_nuke @ Jul 6 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]2027181[/snapback]

I think the Philippines was declared a province of Spain called Felipinas. The Philippines under the Americans was a commonwealth nation which was a candidate for statehood but when the US offered us to be a state, we declined instead we became independent.

...yeah...? what's new? i think that's a given.

but "mother country" means somewhere one hails from...and there are few native Malays that hail from Spain I think.

+Quote Post
ham_let
post Jul 6 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #18

AF Legend
Group Icon

yeah. spanish people living in the philippines would call spain their mother country. or descendants of spanish people that are fiercely proud of their roots.

+Quote Post
filipinoy
post Jul 6 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #19

AF Elite
Group Icon

^even some of those who dont have Spanish roots are proud of their "spanish" roots

+Quote Post
Dangal
post Jul 11 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #20

AF Geek
Group Icon

I am all for reviving spanish, it is a shame that all the literiture written during the spanish era seems to be going to waste, especially the writings of Jose Rizal. On the other hand I do not agree with making it the official language.

The more languages a person can speak the better. I just hope that the our native languages do not suffer and slowly fade away because of it all.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:55 AM