Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Grades or work experience?
lemondrop
post May 8 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members

I'm a sophomore in college and I was simply wondering, upon looking for a job after graduation, which factor is more important: grades or work experience?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SkylineC83
post May 8 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #2

AF Guru
Group Icon

definitely work exp.

+Quote Post
metalhead
post May 8 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #3

AF Addict
Group Icon

Yeah, work experience.

+Quote Post
Ivisionary
post May 11 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #4

AF Fan
Group Icon

I know that if you are applying for competitive positions right out of college, grades will be an important factor. When I was interning at an investment bank, they told me in order for potential employees to even be looked at, they had to have at least a 3.5 GPA. The insurance company at which I currently intern requires that you have at least a 3.3 GPA.

Since companies don't expect for undergrads to have work experience, a lot of questions asked during interviews will be related to school experience, like how you've demonstrated leadership, teamwork, and initiative.

It's always recommended that you apply for an internship during summer of your junior year to show employers that you are serious about the field that you are going into. Experience is always a plus, but it depends on what field/position you're seeking. I don't think it's an absolute requirement for most starting/analyst positions.

Also, realize that work experience can count for or against you. If you got bad reviews during your previous work or if you did not excel in what you did, then it won't help you at all.

+Quote Post
sks88
post May 11 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

Damnit so grades do count alot? Now I regret my first year, because I didn't really do so well grade
Wise,and I got some
Www's for withdrawing too. I just want to get the damn degree period thinking afterward I'd be straight and send out resumes. fu-k LOL.

+Quote Post
SkylineC83
post Oct 14 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #6

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivisionary @ May 11 2009, 09:51 PM) *
I know that if you are applying for competitive positions right out of college, grades will be an important factor. When I was interning at an investment bank, they told me in order for potential employees to even be looked at, they had to have at least a 3.5 GPA. The insurance company at which I currently intern requires that you have at least a 3.3 GPA.

Since companies don't expect for undergrads to have work experience, a lot of questions asked during interviews will be related to school experience, like how you've demonstrated leadership, teamwork, and initiative.

It's always recommended that you apply for an internship during summer of your junior year to show employers that you are serious about the field that you are going into. Experience is always a plus, but it depends on what field/position you're seeking. I don't think it's an absolute requirement for most starting/analyst positions.

Also, realize that work experience can count for or against you. If you got bad reviews during your previous work or if you did not excel in what you did, then it won't help you at all.

what are you? accountant or actuary?

+Quote Post
mndeg
post Oct 15 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #7

AF Legend
Group Icon

work experience. after your first job nobody looks at your GPA

+Quote Post
MakeAChange
post Oct 19 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #8

AF Geek
Group Icon

I just grad from CSUSB with a BA in finance and have been looking for work ever since. Ive applied at over 30 different places, so I know! Many prestigous firms out here especially in the L.A. (Beverly Hills, Centry City) area state on their job posting: 1. BA from top tier university, 2. GPA of 3.5 of higher. So GPA does count to a certain extent.

I grad with a 2.493 GPA, so my dreams of going to a UC to get my masters is out the door...unless I take some bs classes at a junior college and transfer them in.

+Quote Post
felltohell
post Oct 21 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #9

AF Supreme
Group Icon

in my very first job interview, they looked at my grades and shoved the fact that i was even still in school. got the job

my second job interview (fresh out of college), my bosses asked about my work experiences (even when i was still in school. add to that the fact that people around here would not work as students as long as their parents can send them to school). they totally snobbed my grades.haha
got the job

for my job interview in my current job, they scrutinized my work experience, attitude, personality, and grades. they seemed happy. got the job.

a plus on your resume would be the people in your resume as references. and while you're still in college, you should establish networks!!
i didn't have a problem looking for vacancies. i knew enough who would tip me of job vacancies

+Quote Post
depanshi
post Dec 7 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #10

AF Fan
Group Icon

I think Work exp. is more important then grades. The big company's prefer the experienced person.

Thanks

+Quote Post
KraterosHellas
post Sep 29 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #11

AF Elite
Group Icon

i think it depends on ur major. what's ur major?

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 12 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #12

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (lemondrop @ May 8 2009, 08:13 PM) *
I'm a sophomore in college and I was simply wondering, upon looking for a job after graduation, which factor is more important: grades or work experience?

ideally both

but if u can only do one, then grades. experience can always come later

+Quote Post
phillipwong
post Jun 22 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #13

AF Geek
Group Icon

You need both. You have to ask yourself why people want you if you are not even committed to you responsibility.

+Quote Post
devikap
post Sep 24 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

I think when we are studying or when we are school and colleges undue importance is given to grades but frankly when it comes to job may be for first job they see your grades later just experience is important and the way you present yourself.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 02:20 PM