AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bloggers sued in Malaysia, Probably the first bloggers to be sued in the world.
forrestcat
post Jan 18 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #1

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

2 prominent bloggers,Jeff Ooi and Rocky Bru have been sued by the government controlled New Straits Times,an ailing Malaysians newspaper who has seen steep drop in the number of readers.The 100 year old newspaper's circulation is extremely poor compared to newer newspapers such as The Star,The Sun and Chinese newspapers.

This matter is attracting heads as these 2 bloggers are probably the first bloggers in the world to be sued or convicted besides China.

The following are articles on the matter.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/18/...oggers-Sued.php

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/839...2DD89A1A988.htm

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArtic...;archived=False

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not really a big fan of these 2 bloggers as they have their own agendas but they provide me with valuable different perspectives about Malaysian politics.I would be extremely sadden if these 2 bloggers are put out of business.My only support to them is to continue to visit their blogs(I only visit Jeff Ooi's,rarely Rocky Bru) and continue not buying the New Straits Times(stopped buying any newspapers coz can't afford them anyway embarassedlaugh.gif ).

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jan 19 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Bad news...! thumbsdown.gif

I thought it was only Singabloodypore that is repressive and trying to muzzle the blogosphere. I had always see Msia as more mature and easy-going in this aspect, not as thin-skinned like SG.

If Msia lets the newspaper wins the suit, that would be a freaking shame! How can we support Jeff Ooi? I hve seen some analysis from him, and they are critical but good. Who is this Rocky Bru and what is his beef?

+Quote Post
forrestcat
post Jan 19 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

Rocky Bru is just like Jeff Ooi,except his language is abit agressive biggrin.gif .I rarely visit his blog though,coz sometimes the content is the same as Jeff's except he discuss it from his own perspective.

Jeff Ooi had faced charges before and escaped due to lack of evidence .The allegation made by bosses in the NST is just ridiculous and being a loyal reader to Screenshot,i firmly believe that the NST has no evidence to back up their case.

This I believe may just be a warning to other bloggers,but i IMO,bloggers in Malaysia will be more determined icon_twisted.gif .

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jan 19 2007, 01:57 AM
Post #4

AF Supreme
Group Icon

What is the whole idea of being a Singapore agent mean? Is the NST accusing the bloggers of falsely alleging that their staff members are agents of the SG government writing pro-SG propaganda in the NST? Sorry, I can't follow the saga from here lah.

+Quote Post
forrestcat
post Jan 19 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

From what I could recall,it all started with the scrapping of the 'crooked bridge' and when Mahathir began to criticizethe government decision.It's been argued in Jeff Ooi's blog that the chief editor, deliberately manipulated the NST to demonize Mahathir and for his personal and political gains and Jeff pursued this guy's progress for several months.Jeff Ooi have also criticized certain journalists in the NST and that's probably why some NST journalists are also suing him.About Rocky Bru,no comment.probably the same case.

The Singapore agent things is just an exaggeration to make certain Malaysians side with the NST.

This post has been edited by forrestcat: Jan 19 2007, 02:13 AM

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jan 19 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #6

AF Supreme
Group Icon

man, it's sick. SG is always used like a bogeyman.

+Quote Post
forrestcat
post Jan 19 2007, 02:19 AM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

Jeff Ooi is not even a fan of Lee Kuan Yew and had some entries criticizing the 'dynasty'.

+Quote Post
Centurion
post Jan 19 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #8

AF Geek
Group Icon

NST's lawsuit must not succeed. If they do, it will set a precedence to drag other bloggers into courts. Then past assurances that the Internet be censorship-free becomes a farce.

The religious fanatics and the racist bigots will have a field day for retribution.

This post has been edited by Centurion: Jan 19 2007, 06:08 AM

+Quote Post
Betong
post Jan 21 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

I think it was rite thing to do. Sue the bloggers to make them more responsible in their blog. and court will decide with the case in their hands.

+Quote Post
swingdoctor
post Jan 21 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #10

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(Betong @ Jan 21 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]2670169[/snapback]

I think it was rite thing to do. Sue the bloggers to make them more responsible in their blog. and court will decide with the case in their hands.

I restpecfully disagree, there is already too much censorship in Malaysia as it is. Furthermore it seems the NST just does what the govnt tells it to do anyway. I think the Star is a better English newspaper.

+Quote Post
Betong
post Jan 21 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(swingdoctor @ Jan 21 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]2670332[/snapback]

I restpecfully disagree, there is already too much censorship in Malaysia as it is. Furthermore it seems the NST just does what the govnt tells it to do anyway. I think the Star is a better English newspaper.

I like NST more from The Star. The Star is more about culture (especially western), sports and relationship thingie but NST gives more information involving news and nice stories from its guest columnists too.

For me all mainstream newspaper including The Star was Pro-Govt...

+Quote Post
swingdoctor
post Jan 22 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(Betong @ Jan 21 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]2670364[/snapback]

I like NST more from The Star. The Star is more about culture (especially western), sports and relationship thingie but NST gives more information involving news and nice stories from its guest columnists too.

For me all mainstream newspaper including The Star was Pro-Govt...

To me the Star has been more critical of the govnt then NST. A few years ago it was even closed down for a while by the govnt.

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jan 22 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #13

AF Supreme
Group Icon

I just met a Malaysian girl here who used to work for the Star in Papua New Guinea office! Malaysian girl really travels huh?!

+Quote Post
Betong
post Jan 22 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

^^ What she did there??
Hunting ??

Back to the topic. I didn't know that The Star was closed down back then.

+Quote Post
Centurion
post Jan 22 2007, 04:03 AM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE(Betong @ Jan 22 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]2670574[/snapback]

^^ What she did there??
Hunting ??

If a Singaporean or a Caucasian had used that kinda condescending tone about your country, with the kind of inflated nationalistic Malay ego that you carry, you would sooo have diarrhead blood all over this forum.

But what is a Papuan compared to the noble Melayu, pribumi, eh?

+Quote Post
Betong
post Jan 22 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(Centurion @ Jan 22 2007, 04:03 AM) [snapback]2670888[/snapback]

If a Singaporean or a Caucasian had used that kinda condescending tone about your country, with the kind of inflated nationalistic Malay ego that you carry, you would sooo have diarrhead blood all over this forum.

But what is a Papuan compared to the noble Melayu, pribumi, eh?

So if any Papuan here offended by my comment, I'm really-really sorry.
My mistake.. I didn't mean to hurt any Papuan here. icon_sad.gif

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jan 22 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #17

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE(Betong @ Jan 23 2007, 05:41 AM) [snapback]2672746[/snapback]

So if any Papuan here offended by my comment, I'm really-really sorry.
My mistake.. I didn't mean to hurt any Papuan here. icon_sad.gif

Well done Betong! biggthumpup.gif

I think she was in Port Moresby marketing the newspaper to local and foreign clientele based in the region.. mostly mining firms maybe..

She's now here to set up a yoga center!

+Quote Post
Betong
post Jan 24 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

From NST bout bloggers case

Bloggers subject to same rules
25 Jan 2007
Anis Ibrahim

KUALA LUMPUR: Bloggers are liable for defamation — just as in other forms of communication, lawyers and other experts said.

Kuala Lumpur Bar chairman Lim Chee Wee said statements on the Internet were simply writings in a different medium.

"You can call them blogs, online forums, websites, they’re all subject to the same defamation laws if offending statements are published," he said.

Lim agreed with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who said in London on Tuesday that although bloggers would not be restricted, they could be subject to defamation, sedition and other laws.

"They cannot hide or take advantage of a situation and do something against the law," he said.

"I also welcome the prime minister’s statement that blogs will not be censored," Lim said.

Law expert Prof Dr Shad Saleem Faruqi said there was no doubt the rules of defamation applied to blogs and Internet forums.

"The definition of speech covers every form of communication in whatever form, written or symbolic. There is no doubt that bloggers are subject to the same rules."

Asked whether defamation laws in the West were more advanced than Malaysia’s, Shad Saleem said, "In fact we tend to give people much more freedom to defame because we have no privacy laws unlike most Western countries."

Lawyer Datuk Dominic Puthucheary, who has represented a major local publication against defamation, said, "Our laws on defamation should be governed by Article 10 of the Federal Constitution which provides for freedom of speech, unless limited by Parliament."

There is no law restricting people on the content of their blogs, he said. But "if something is either spoken or written in a permanent form, it is liable for defamation according to basic common law".

That was his advice to a politician on a statement that had been taken from the Internet and broadcast.

Puthucheary also drew a line between private and public individuals: "A defamatory statement against a private person is actionable," he said.

"When it comes to public interest issues and the conduct of public officers, it is not defamatory in some jurisdictions unless there is reckless disregard for the truth. But it is still an open question here."

The former Member of Parliament said the legislature should draft laws to deal with defamation in the "new forms of communication".

Lawyer Nahendran Navaratnam agreed that legislative changes were needed "to ensure that protection is given both to bloggers and those who are the subject of discussion on the Internet".

National Union of Journalists president Norila Mohd Daud said it was logical that defamation laws would apply to blog postings.

"Right now our laws do not cover blogs or online forums, but I think it’s simple logic that a defamatory statement can reach the public via any medium, by newspapers, magazines or the Internet."

Norila also agreed that bloggers had to exercise caution on their websites.

"It is true that bloggers have to be responsible. You can express your opinions but we have to see it from the point of view of the people who are named," she said.

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jan 25 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #19

AF Supreme
Group Icon

So long as the blogs are no inciting religious or racist bigotry, why should political comments on blogs be subject to draconian defamation laws? Most of these comments are directed at big multinationals or bigwigs -- why does the government want to take out even this little voice of the people on the web?

Not everybody in the kampungs read blogsites... why are the big wigs and corporations so insecure I wonder?

+Quote Post
swingdoctor
post Jan 25 2007, 01:08 AM
Post #20

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(tangawizi @ Jan 25 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]2678369[/snapback]

So long as the blogs are no inciting religious or racist bigotry, why should political comments on blogs be subject to draconian defamation laws? Most of these comments are directed at big multinationals or bigwigs -- why does the government want to take out even this little voice of the people on the web?

Not everybody in the kampungs read blogsites... why are the big wigs and corporations so insecure I wonder?

biggthumpup.gif biggthumpup.gif
But this is standard practice for the govnt in Malaysia.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 12:02 AM