Reply to this topicStart new topic
I'm a noob at this import stuff, I have a 01 civic ex
surf101
post Jan 29 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #1

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

and I'd like to "supe" it up. But I don't want to make it sound like some crazy @$$ rice rocket. You know that "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound. But I bought this car to fix it up. What should I do first? I already got a Cold Air Intake AEM in it. I know I should probably put headers and a catback in it. But what else do you guys recommend for more boost?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 29 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

It really depends on what do you want to get out of it. Bolt on upgrade like a nice header & a good cat-back would be a good start. There are few quiet cat-back system out there like the RS*R Ex-Mag or the A'PEXi World Series. They give that slight aggressive deep tone.

+Quote Post
Boku_WA!
post Jan 29 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

you didnt even have to mention that you were a noob. all you had to say was 'i have a honda civic and i want to soupe my ride'.

+Quote Post
surf101
post Jan 29 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

Thanks for the tip. I know about the header and catback and such, but I was wondering if there's anything else I'm missing that would give me a boost of some sort besides headers, intake and a catback

I'm actually a noob in modding cars. I installed that cold air intake and damn, I don't know if it's the civic year or what on how it's made but damn! That was freakin hard. I had to undo the bolts and what not to get it to fit in. But it got in.

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 29 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

If you want to produce a lot of power out of the little D17 Civic engine, it will take a lot of tuning, money, & time. It really depends on which route you want to go, whether going force induction or stay with the naturally aspirated set up. It's really hard to say what to do next. You have to be more specific in what you want to achieve out of it.

Oh & also if you have an automatic transmission, I wouldn't bother doing much to it because Honda automatic tranny couldn't handle much abuse.

+Quote Post
khang_oi
post Jan 29 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #6

AF Geek
Group Icon

if u want power, either swap, or boost....what car do you have?...dont see u mentioning it yet..

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 30 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

He has a 2001 Civic EX. At first I was gonna ask him too about which car he has until I read to the title carefully, hehe...

+Quote Post
Al Bundy
post Jan 30 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #8

AF Fiend
Group Icon

damn you're a noob to this? it's old news now lol

+Quote Post
surf101
post Jan 30 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

Well, it's a manual of course. But like I said, I have a AEM cold air intake installed. I was thinking of headers and a catback next. Can't afford to swap or install supercharger right now.

Is there any other small parts that can help me get some boost in HP? That's what im trying to find out. Thanks

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 30 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

That's pretty much it.

How's your clutch now? If it's worn out & planning to replace it then get a lightweight flywheel. It won't give you a hp gain but it will make your engine more responsive & accelerate faster. It's worth it but only if you need to replace the clutch because of the labor cost.

+Quote Post
surf101
post Jan 30 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(DF78 @ Jan 30 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]2691167[/snapback]

That's pretty much it.

How's your clutch now? If it's worn out & planning to replace it then get a lightweight flywheel. It won't give you a hp gain but it will make your engine more responsive & accelerate faster. It's worth it but only if you need to replace the clutch because of the labor cost.

That sounds like a damn good idea. I'm actually at about 74,000 miles so I probably need to. How much roughly do you think it'll cost? Also anything else for performance? Much appreciated.

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 30 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

Clutch life isn't depending on the mileage. It really depends on how you use it . I put about 120,000 miles on the clutch of one of my previous car.

The flywheel alone would cost about $200 but the labor is about $350-$450 depending on where you go.

As for simple bolt ons that give power gain, intake/header/exhaust are pretty much it. After that, you just have to decide which route you want to go with the build up.

+Quote Post
surf101
post Jan 30 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(DF78 @ Jan 30 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]2691213[/snapback]

Clutch life isn't depending on the mileage. It really depends on how you use it . I put about 120,000 miles on the clutch of one of my previous car.

The flywheel alone would cost about $200 but the labor is about $350-$450 depending on where you go.

As for simple bolt ons that give power gain, intake/header/exhaust are pretty much it. After that, you just have to decide which route you want to go with the build up.

Got Damn! 450 max to install flywheel? Good thing my friend is mechanically inclined.

That's what I thought about intake/header/and exhaust. I'm thinking it would push out with all those combined increase total of 30 HP. Yes? Or maybe more depending on what type right? I was thinking of DC Headers and a Catback Greddy, but not sure how it would sound with all those combined. I'm also saving some money to get a Jackson Supercharger. But I'd have to take off the headers right? What would you recommend as far as headers and catback go. Keep in mind, I don't want that high pitched "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" sound. I'd like a deep bass type tone to it, almost sounding mean enough for a Vtec.

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 30 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

I highly doubt that intake/exhaust/header combo would give you 30hp gain. I'm not sure how much exactly is the gain but it will be less than 30hp. You have to dyno run it to see the actual power gain to the wheels.

I know A'PEXi World Series produced an aggressive deep tone but yet it's still quiet & they make one for 2001-2005 Civic coupe. The RS*R Ex-Mag is also quiet with just an aggressive deep tone sound & it's also available for the 2001-2005 Civic coupe. Tanabe has a new cat-back called the G-Medallion that was supposedly also not as loud but I personally never heard one on any car so I can't tell you for sure.

You can still use your header if you want to supercharge your car.

+Quote Post
surf101
post Jan 30 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(DF78 @ Jan 30 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]2691419[/snapback]

I highly doubt that intake/exhaust/header combo would give you 30hp gain. I'm not sure how much exactly is the gain but it will be less than 30hp. You have to dyno run it to see the actual power gain to the wheels.

I know A'PEXi World Series produced an aggressive deep tone but yet it's still quiet & they make one for 2001-2005 Civic coupe. The RS*R Ex-Mag is also quiet with just an aggressive deep tone sound & it's also available for the 2001-2005 Civic coupe. Tanabe has a new cat-back called the G-Medallion that was supposedly also not as loud but I personally never heard one on any car so I can't tell you for sure.

You can still use your header if you want to supercharge your car.

This is great advice man. Thanks.

But I beg to differ on the 30 HP. I heard through the best manufacturer of parts, you can get those gains. Like Iceman vs AEM intakes. Maybe i'm wrong, but i'm all about getting the best models. I will most definitley look into those catbacks you mentioned though. How about headers? What do you suggest

+Quote Post
DF78
post Jan 30 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

Personally & based on my experience, I like SMSP, Hytech, or Mugen for Honda header. I know SMSP make a D16 engine but most likely it won't fit the D17 engine that you have right now. Hytech & Mugen does not make any header for the D17 engine at all. As far as I know, SMSP, Hytech, & AN-R can make a custom header but it's going to cost a lot.

There aren't that many aftermarket header for the D17 engine since it isn't a popular Honda engine to modify. I know DC Sports made a header for your car but I don't know if they improve their quality or not because a while ago, I didn't have any good experience with them. The gain on the header is so little, it's almost to no gain at all but then again, I'm not sure about how they are now.

Don't worry about the little thing like header too much though. If you're planning to supercharge the engine then just save up for that. The gain with an aftermarket header is minimal anyway.

+Quote Post
Boku_WA!
post Jan 30 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(surf101 @ Jan 30 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]2691435[/snapback]

This is great advice man. Thanks.

But I beg to differ on the 30 HP. I heard through the best manufacturer of parts, you can get those gains. Like Iceman vs AEM intakes. Maybe i'm wrong, but i'm all about getting the best models. I will most definitley look into those catbacks you mentioned though. How about headers? What do you suggest

30hp gain from exhaust and intake world probably be from a turbo car. your na civic might even lose hp if youre not tuning it. maybe youll gain like 2hp embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
surf101
post Jan 30 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(DF78 @ Jan 30 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]2691457[/snapback]

Personally & based on my experience, I like SMSP, Hytech, or Mugen for Honda header. I know SMSP make a D16 engine but most likely it won't fit the D17 engine that you have right now. Hytech & Mugen does not make any header for the D17 engine at all. As far as I know, SMSP, Hytech, & AN-R can make a custom header but it's going to cost a lot.

There aren't that many aftermarket header for the D17 engine since it isn't a popular Honda engine to modify. I know DC Sports made a header for your car but I don't know if they improve their quality or not because a while ago, I didn't have any good experience with them. The gain on the header is so little, it's almost to no gain at all but then again, I'm not sure about how they are now.

Don't worry about the little thing like header too much though. If you're planning to supercharge the engine then just save up for that. The gain with an aftermarket header is minimal anyway.

You do know your stuff. I appreciate all that. Alot of my friends keep telling me that too. They were like, "Why are you going to buy headers when your going to get a supercharger?" I just thought the headers would at least do some type of justice as far as gains go. It's cool though, I don't wanna race or anything, just make my car at least decent so I can get around faster going to L.A. and such. I can't wait to get my supercharger though. I love the sound! It's almost orgasmic.

What do you have right now and what do you got in it? I'm interested in what you put up.

+Quote Post
khang_oi
post Jan 30 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #19

AF Geek
Group Icon

also, stepping away from engine parts and stuff, you shuld also look into getting better suspension parts as well...

+Quote Post
Jigoku Z
post Jan 30 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #20

AF Pro
Group Icon

I would save up money and do the K-swap....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 06:26 PM