Reply to this topicStart new topic
Difference between India and Sri Lanka
miss_merisha
post Mar 23 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #1

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Members

What are the differences between India and Sri Lanka?

I always thought they were the same but people who call themselves Sri Lankans seems cooler.

shrug.gifs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tenjikuronin
post Mar 23 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #2

AF Guru
Group Icon

Sri Lanka is an island.

+Quote Post
miss_merisha
post Mar 23 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

What about the cultural difference?

is Sri Lanka part of India?

+Quote Post
ExpressYourself
post Mar 23 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #4

AF Elite
Group Icon

They're two different countries.

+Quote Post
-=(-_-)=- HI-hit
post Mar 23 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

Sri Lanka is a multi-religious and multi-ethnic nation, with a fifth of the population following faiths other than Buddhism - notably Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. The Sinhalese community forms the majority of the population (around 74%), with Tamils, who are mostly concentrated in the north and east of the island, forming the largest ethnic minority. Other communities include the Muslim Moors and Malays as well as Burghers.*just copied and pasted this from wiki*

QUOTE(miss_merisha @ Mar 24 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]2810958[/snapback]

people who call themselves Sri Lankans seems cooler.
shrug.gifs

yeh Sri Lankans are the coolest

+Quote Post
Jagger
post Mar 23 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #6

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(miss_merisha @ Mar 23 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]2810958[/snapback]

What are the differences between India and Sri Lanka?

I always thought they were the same but people who call themselves Sri Lankans seems cooler.

shrug.gifs

The differences/similarities between India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka is like the differences/similarities between China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam: different countries with similar cultures.

The main difference between India and Sri Lanka is that India has a Hindu majority, while Sri Lanka has a Buddhist majority (who are mostly from the Sinhalese ethnic group). The main similarity is that the Hindu Tamil minority in northern Sri Lanka are the same people as the Hindu Tamil ethnic group in South India. Most of the Sri Lankans living overseas are actually from the Tamil minority, so most of the Sri Lankans you met are most likely Hindu Tamils rather than Buddhist Sinhalese.

+Quote Post
ExpressYourself
post Mar 23 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #7

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jagger @ Mar 23 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]2811618[/snapback]

The differences/similarities between India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka is like the differences/similarities between China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam: different countries with similar cultures.

The main difference between India and Sri Lanka is that India has a Hindu majority, while Sri Lanka has a Buddhist majority (who are mostly from the Sinhalese ethnic group). The main similarity is that the Hindu Tamil minority in northern Sri Lanka are the same people as the Hindu Tamil ethnic group in South India. Most of the Sri Lankans living overseas are actually from the Tamil minority, so most of the Sri Lankans you met are most likely Hindu Tamils rather than Buddhist Sinhalese.

I've met some Sri Lankan Tamils who think they're different from Indian Tamils, but the differences are minor (differences in how they speak Tamil, minor physical differences)....Yes, I know a Sri Lankan boy that says he can distinguish an Indian Tamil from a Lankan Tamil based on looks alone. shrug.gif

This post has been edited by ExpressYourself: Mar 23 2007, 11:21 PM

+Quote Post
NoAnger
post Mar 24 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #8

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Mar 23 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]2811707[/snapback]

I've met some Sri Lankan Tamils who think they're different from Indian Tamils, but the differences are minor (differences in how they speak Tamil, minor physical differences)....Yes, I know a Sri Lankan boy that says he can distinguish an Indian Tamil from a Lankan Tamil based on looks alone. shrug.gif

That's kind of how my parents say they can distinguish a pakistani and a North Indian by looks alone. I've never understood how it works. confused.gif

+Quote Post
VAMAN
post Mar 24 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #9

AF Guru
Group Icon

The only difference between India and Srilanka is that their Cricket team is better than ours. embarassedlaugh.gif bawling.gif
Apart from the joke, SriLanka itself is some Sanskrit word. But I don't know its meaning. It can be passed off as any other Indian state with some uniquness of its own.

QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Mar 24 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]2811707[/snapback]

....Yes, I know a Sri Lankan boy that says he can distinguish an Indian Tamil from a Lankan Tamil based on looks alone. shrug.gif

QUOTE(NoAnger @ Mar 24 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]2811768[/snapback]

That's kind of how my parents say they can distinguish a pakistani and a North Indian by looks alone.

Thats impossible.

This post has been edited by VAMAN: Mar 24 2007, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post
ExpressYourself
post Mar 24 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #10

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(VAMAN @ Mar 24 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]2812190[/snapback]

The only difference between India and Srilanka is that their Cricket team is better than ours. embarassedlaugh.gif bawling.gif
Apart from the joke, SriLanka itself is some Sanskrit word. But I don't know its meaning. It can be passed off as any other Indian state with some uniquness of its own.
Thats impossible.

You won't ALWAYS be able to distinguish, but sometimes you might be able to on first guess. shrug.gif I don't know how to explain it in words, but some people have this imaginary stamp on their face. icon_redface.gif I live around a lot of Pakistanis, so I've become better at spotting them out. icon_redface.gif

To a non-South Asian though, this would be impossible for sure.

This post has been edited by ExpressYourself: Mar 24 2007, 12:19 PM

+Quote Post
miss_merisha
post Mar 24 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #11

AF Elite
Group Icon

Do they both speak the same language?

+Quote Post
ACMILAN1983
post Mar 24 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

^^ India has over 1000 spoken languages, and Sri Lanka has a few spoken languages too. Some of these languages (such as Tamil) is spoken in both nations.

However, Sri Lanka's national languages (or most commonly spoken such as Sinhalese, English and Tamil) are all spoken in India, though not the same as India's national languages (Hindi, Sanskrit and English).

QUOTE(VAMAN @ Mar 24 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]2812190[/snapback]

Apart from the joke, SriLanka itself is some Sanskrit word.

"resplendent land" I think is the meaning.

+Quote Post
kollision
post Mar 24 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #13

AF Guru
Group Icon

I thought there are some physical differences?

I know that in some parts of India (I think southern, forgive me if I am wrong) are dark like Africans but you can tell they arent based on other features beside skin color like nose, hair, etc. Im not sure if you can classify them as direct descendants of the Dravindians?

Then Sri Lanka has the Veddoids. From some pictures I have seen and video, some of them look more "Australoid" than those in the Indian Sub continent.

Again forgive me if I am wrong.

+Quote Post
ExpressYourself
post Mar 24 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #14

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(kollision @ Mar 24 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]2812725[/snapback]

I thought there are some physical differences?

I know that in some parts of India (I think southern, forgive me if I am wrong) are dark like Africans but you can tell they arent based on other features beside skin color like nose, hair, etc. Im not sure if you can classify them as direct descendants of the Dravindians?

Then Sri Lanka has the Veddoids. From some pictures I have seen and video, some of them look more "Australoid" than those in the Indian Sub continent.

Again forgive me if I am wrong.

Dark Indians can be found in any part of India. There's just a higher proportion of darker people in the South due to climate. It's just like how Italy has a higher amount of tanned people compared to a country like Sweden. You also have light-skinned South Indians, while you get very dark North Indians.

The same thing goes for Sri Lanka with it's variety. You have Veddoids, Tamils, Sinhalese, Burghers, Moors, Malays, etc. So far though, I've seen a few that look no different from Indians, like Sri Lanka's cricket team, their models, their dancers, friends that I've seen in real life, etc.

QUOTE(miss_merisha @ Mar 24 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]2812674[/snapback]

Do they both speak the same language?

Sri Lankan Tamils would speak Tamil, which is spoken in some parts of India. But, I heard their Tamil is different like how Mexico's Spanish is different from Puerto Rico's Spanish.

The Sinhalese in Sri Lanka speak Sinhala, which isn't spoken in India from what I know.

This post has been edited by ExpressYourself: Mar 24 2007, 04:52 PM

+Quote Post
kollision
post Mar 24 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #15

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Mar 24 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]2812787[/snapback]

Dark Indians can be found in any part of India. There's just a higher proportion of darker people in the South due to climate.

I know that, I did mean percentage wise. Taking into consideration mixtures from bordering countries such as Persian.

t's just like how Italy has a higher amount of tanned people compared to a country like Sweden. You also have light-skinned South Indians, while you get very dark North Indians.

Depends what part of Italy and ethnicity, such as Sicilian. I heard from a friend that theres arab mixture (not sure if it's Moors in particular, but wouldn't be surprised)

The same thing goes for Sri Lanka with it's variety. You have Veddoids, Tamils, Sinhalese, Burghers, Moors, Malays, etc. So far though, I've seen a few that look no different from Indians, like Sri Lanka's cricket team, their models, their dancers, friends that I've seen in real life, etc.

So when we are speaking of Sri Lanka in this thread, exactly which people are we talking about? I personally was going on the native inhabitants and trying to find out without outside influence because without doing so, then it's pretty much open to any interpretation.

I never did know that there were Malays and Moors there.

+Quote Post
ExpressYourself
post Mar 24 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #16

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(kollision @ Mar 24 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]2812851[/snapback]

So when we are speaking of Sri Lanka in this thread, exactly which people are we talking about? I personally was going on the native inhabitants and trying to find out without outside influence because without doing so, then it's pretty much open to any interpretation.

I never did know that there were Malays and Moors there.

I guess she's talking about Tamils. Those are the ones that migrated basically.

Wiki's entry on Sri Lanka talks about the ethnic groups there.

+Quote Post
miss_merisha
post Mar 24 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #17

AF Elite
Group Icon

Is Tamil (pronouced as Tam-mul)?

+Quote Post
kollision
post Mar 24 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #18

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Mar 24 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]2812883[/snapback]

I guess she's talking about Tamils. Those are the ones that migrated basically.

Wiki's entry on Sri Lanka talks about the ethnic groups there.

Ah, ok thanks.

+Quote Post
ExpressYourself
post Mar 24 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #19

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(miss_merisha @ Mar 24 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]2812892[/snapback]

Is Tamil (pronouced as Tam-mul)?

I say "Ta-mill"