Reply to this topicStart new topic
2007 Korean politics thread, please discuss anything about recent politics here
frozen_korean
post Jun 18 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #1

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Please discuss any Political issues/political parties and anything you would like to add like your opinion and the party you would vote for in the upcoming 2007 South Korean presedential elections.

This post has been edited by frozen_korean: Jul 13 2007, 03:47 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jun 18 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #2

AF Addict
Group Icon

source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/natio...6/116_4968.html

GNP Has Image Problem With NK

Two leading presidential aspirants of the opposition Grand National Party (GNP) have image problems at least in the eyes of North Korea.

Pyongyang has repeatedly warned that inter-Korean relations would become chilly once either of them took power. Unlike former President Kim Dae-jung and President Roh Moo-hyun, the GNP contenders oppose the engagement policy with North Korea. Former Seoul Mayor Lee Myung-bak is regarded here as being more flexible than former GNP Chairwoman Park Geun-hye, but Pyongyang sees the two as hawkish toward it.

An episode last week in Pyongyang well illustrated how North Korean leaders have perceptions toward the GNP. A GNP lawmaker was denied a VIP seat at a joint ceremony to commemorate the seventh anniversary of the historic summit between Kim Dae-jung and Kim Jong-il.

Few disagree that North Korea will be one of the crucial factors in the presidential election in December, although North Koreans do not vote in the election.

Lee proposed Monday to build a joint economic enclave near the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).

Lee and Park have shared similar views on the Stalinist North Korea.

Lee coined the term ``Nadeul Island'' for the special zone, meaning free passage ins and out of people, information and capital between the South and North.

``The project is one of the plans of action designed to help North Korea give up its nuclear ambitions. In return, the international community will help the North achieve $3,000 per capita income,'' he said.

Lee proposed the government designate the area at the mouth of the Han River as an inter-Korean economic enclave.

According to Lee, the South can prevent its high tech businesses from going abroad in search of cheap labor costs, while North Korea would benefit from job creation.

Therefore, the two Koreas will be better off, he said.

He emphasized the joint project seeks the dual goal of easing security tension and making the enclave a hub of Northeast Asia in the long run.

Lee made it clear last Thursday that denuclearization is the ultimate goal of his North Korea policy.

Park has said the government should seek the complete dismantlement of nuclear programs on the Korean Peninsula as its ultimate security goal.

The two candidates also share the view that the North will be able to receive economic assistance from the international community if it faithfully fulfills its security commitments.

They expressed skepticism toward the government's engagement policy, agreeing that the Sunshine Policy has revealed its limitations in changing the North.

Lee said the inter-Korean declaration on June 15, 2000, has failed to resolve the security threat posed by North Korea.

He further assailed presidential hopefuls of the pro-government Uri Party for their playing politics with the North Korea card such as talks of an inter-Korean summit.

Park put forward a carrot and stick approach to the North as an alternative to the allegedly failed engagement policy.

She claimed the government should draw a line and give a clear message to the North to play by the rules.

``If the North crosses the line, the country will be sanctioned. If it fulfills its commitments, North Korea will benefit from economic compensation offered by the international community,'' she emphasized.

The former party chairwoman has not clarified her plans for inter-Korean economic cooperation yet.

-------------------------

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 13 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #3

AF Addict
Group Icon

Question for Koreans.

Would you support conservatives who are right winged or the left wing Uri-dang alikes? If i was able to vote in 2007 Korea I would vote Conservative. Who agrees that Korea should be a conservative nation than a risk-taking one?

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 17 2007, 04:50 AM
Post #4

AF Addict
Group Icon

Lee Maintains Strong Lead in Pres. Poll

In the 16th Chosun Ilbo survey on presidential candidates conducted Saturday by Hankook Research, Grand National Party hopeful Lee Myung-bak posted a 40 percent support rate and party rival Park Geun-hye 25.8 percent.
The results were similar to those from a June 30 Chosun survey conducted by TNS, which found 39.4 percent for Lee and 27.6 percent for Park.

Following the two leads were former Gyeonggi Province Governor Sohn Hak-kyu at 7.3 percent, former ruling Uri Party Chairman Chung Dong-young at 3.3 percent, former Prime Minister Lee Hae-chan at 2.8 percent and former Health and Welfare Minister Rhyu Si-min at 2.7 percent.

When asked who they would vote for if the election were today, 40.4 percent of respondents chose Lee Myung-bak, while 26.9 chose Park, 7.9 percent Sohn and 3.8 percent Chung.

As to how the candidates' public image compared to one or two months ago, Park (51.1 percent) scored higher than Lee Myung-bak (41 percent). Some 28.3 percent of respondents said Lee's image has deteriorated, while just 12.2 percent said the same for Park.

Concerning recent remarks by President Roh Moo-hyun and former President Kim Dae-jung seen as influencing the presidential campaigns, 67.5 percent of respondents said former and incumbent leaders shouldn't try to affect the election while only 28 percent said it didn't matter.

Party approval rates were 55.6 percent for the GNP, 12.2 percent for the ruling Uri Party, 11 percent for the Democratic Labor Party, 7.9 percent for the Centrist United Democratic Party and 1.4 percent for the People First Party.

The telephone poll of a thousand adults nationwide aged 19 or older has a confidence level of 95 percent with a margin of error of 3.1 percent.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

It seems pretty clear Lee Myung Bak is going to thrash the presedential elections in 2007 unless something major happens. It seems almost certain the the Grand Nationalist Party (conservative right wing) is looking forward to their landslide victory. With only around 4.5 months left to the 2007 Presedential elections, there may be a huge change in Korea in terms of economy, culture and corruption. The left wing Uri party, while seen as OK in a number of aspects, is known for corruption and failure to meet society's demands in many occasions. The left wingers have brought much anger to Korean citizens, especially farmers and the vast majority who think Korean culture is at stake.

I think if the GNP wins this election, Korea will change much. What are your opinions on Lee Myung Bak or Park Geun hye? Who is more responsible as president and more beneficial to Korean culture and economy? These two people are the most likely candidates to become president of South Korea from 2007 onwards until the next next elections. What do you think are the advantages of a Conservative political party?

In my opinion, I want GNP to win this election.

This post has been edited by frozen_korean: Jul 17 2007, 04:51 AM

+Quote Post
Captain Corea
post Jul 17 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(frozen_korean @ Jul 13 2007, 03:46 AM) [snapback]3057051[/snapback]
Question for Koreans.

Would you support conservatives who are right winged or the left wing Uri-dang alikes? If i was able to vote in 2007 Korea I would vote Conservative. Who agrees that Korea should be a conservative nation than a risk-taking one?

Most of the people I know seem to be behind Lee Myung-Bak. I think he's leading in the polls because, although part of the conservative camp, he is still a little closer to center than Ms. Park.

The left and Right of Korea have had their day... I'm hoping for a centrist to take power (whether that be Lee, or someone from the ashes of Minju-dang)

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 17 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #6

AF Addict
Group Icon

You people do know left wing is bad? The left wing never coorporates with conservatives, which are important for Koreas national identity and pride. Roh was only chosen because of his anti-americanism which isnt apparent now. Left wingers are deceptive fools who try to persuade Koreans in a strong way but fail to meet their promises in the long run. Left wing, in the broad sense, are failures of the political world. However there is one good and CERTAIN thing about the left wing and Roh. They will be out of office in end of 2007 and onwards. beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 17 2007, 05:19 AM
Post #7

AF Addict
Group Icon

Well the Grand National party is actually quite central, but leaning towards the right. Minju dang is left wing, I disagree anyone of this group is fit in taking place as president. All the koreans I know support the GNP. Only people who dont understand politics pick Uri and Im not even joking or they might be even Roh sympathisers.

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 17 2007, 05:19 AM
Post #8

AF Addict
Group Icon

Well the Grand National party is actually quite central, but leaning towards the right. Minju dang is left wing, I disagree anyone of this group is fit in taking place as president. All the koreans I know support the GNP. Only people who dont understand politics pick Uri and Im not even joking or they might be even Roh sympathisers.

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 24 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #9

AF Addict
Group Icon

Lee Myung Bak's new website:

http://english.mbplaza.net/default/korea/?...wgrp=30&m=2

If all of these things he says are promises then I think he will do many good things to South Korea. If you dont know who he is, he is the leading presidential contestant gaining a majority of the votes and popularity so far.

One of the things he promises is a science and business city. His plan is to draw in gyopos from overseas and restrict immigration so Korea becomes more advanced nation and lessens the brain drain. This will make Korea much more powerful in terms of the number of intelligent people and contributing to Korea's economy and technology. He basically does not like the brain drain that has been happening.

+Quote Post
Captain Corea
post Jul 24 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #10

AF Elite
Group Icon

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2878397
Lawmakers walked away from the crumbling Uri Party yesterday as well as a recently formed party, to join a liberal coalition that has not yet been named, party officials said.

Uri Dang really annoys me! They get elected (Noh) on a Min-ju Dang ticket, and then split after to try to seize more power. Then, after they've governed for a few years (and made a mess of a numer of things), they decide to change their name and start anew.

I'd have 1000x more respect in them if they just said, "Hey, we dropped the ball in a numer of areas, and if you don't vote for us, we'll continue to improve for the next time you give us a shot".

Instead, they say "Meh, it wasn't our fault/responsibility. It was someone else. BUT NOW we have a new name and you should trust us!"

Where is the responsibility?

Honestly, i kind of dig Noh's proposal for a possible 2 term president. I think it would make politicians think more about long term projects and what it would take for re-election.

+Quote Post
frozen_korean
post Jul 25 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #11

AF Addict
Group Icon

Lee Myung Bak has shown Korea that he is capable of being a leader. He has done many things for Seoul and the major thing he got a reputation was the Chunggaechon stream. Everyone I know thinks he is an intelligent person. I will seriously be angry if the Uri party and their sympathasing politicians unite to form a huge party and then persuade Koreans and therefore win the election. They shouldnt even have any seats in parliament because they are idiots who dont care about Korean people especially the farmers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2014 - 10:13 PM