AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What do Indonesian surnames say abt their lineage?
Bhaskara
post Jul 2 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #41

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Members

Any profiler would agree that Sukarno was a proud man, I don't think he would hesitate to use that title if it was truly his right to use it. Even if he wasn't, I'm sure all of his children would shamelessly use it. Why, Megawati could use the title to raise her popularity in the ever mystical and feudal Javanese people. Nah, I don't believe that Sukarno's father was a nobleman. His mother? Maybe, but Balinese court is patrilineal, so she had lost her rights to pass that title to her children when she married Sukarno's father.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jul 2 2007, 02:01 AM
Post #42

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Jun 30 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]3032920[/snapback]
If his father really was a Raden, Majjy, why didn't he passed down that title to Soekarno? I think it's just glorification by his fans. I bet if it really was the truth, then Soekarno and his children would shamelessly wear that title on their names on every thinkable occassions. Imagine, Raden Ayu Megawati Soekarnoputri or Raden (Ayu? embarassedlaugh.gif ) Guruh Soekarnoputra eek.gif

When i met this son of Sukarno, he gave me the name card that said Sukarnoputra or putri, for sure, they are passing themselves off as noble... icon_neutral.gif

+Quote Post
londoh
post Jul 2 2007, 02:51 AM
Post #43

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(furansizuka @ Jun 30 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]3033350[/snapback]
that's a unique case. Anyone care to explain?

Speaking of surname, do you guys know that the Iceland women add "dottir" after their surname? It's very interesting. We don't have a kind like that.

Icelanders use their fathers first name as surname. If a man called Jon Stefansson has a son called Fjalar his surname is not Stefanson as his father but Jonson, that means Son of Jon. The same for girls, a daughter of Jon named Kata, wil have Jonsdottir as surname, daughter of Jon. So the two children of JonStefansson are called Fjalar Jonsson and Kata Jonsdottir

+Quote Post
ricochet
post Jul 2 2007, 04:51 AM
Post #44

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(londoh @ Jul 2 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]3036460[/snapback]
Icelanders use their fathers first name as surname. If a man called Jon Stefansson has a son called Fjalar his surname is not Stefanson as his father but Jonson, that means Son of Jon. The same for girls, a daughter of Jon named Kata, wil have Jonsdottir as surname, daughter of Jon. So the two children of JonStefansson are called Fjalar Jonsson and Kata Jonsdottir

Dunno much about names or surname.....but its great to hear from you bro. How's everything my fren....why you went hiding or did you plant "grass" in our pakalolo island?? embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
londoh
post Jul 2 2007, 05:18 AM
Post #45

AF Pro
Group Icon

Hi KohRico,

No time to come here ayam bizzy with my own forum, which is more of a blog.
Grass must be good bisnis, even without cows biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post
ricochet
post Jul 2 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #46

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(londoh @ Jul 2 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]3036599[/snapback]
Hi KohRico,

No time to come here ayam bizzy with my own forum, which is more of a blog.
Grass must be good bisnis, even without cows biggthumpup.gif

care to PM me your link to your blog bro

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Aug 7 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #47

AF Supreme
Group Icon

nobody answered purp's question...

is it an arabic tradition or something?

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Aug 7 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #48

AF Elite
Group Icon

That kind of method is what we call patronymics, right? We do that in Indonesia too, not only in Iceland. But not all of us choose to use it.

What question? Putting bin and binti behind your first name? Of course it's Middle Eastern tradition (not only Arabs)

+Quote Post
NEWGINAFETS
post Aug 8 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #49

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Jun 22 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]3018622[/snapback]
Err... Surnames mean different things to different ethnicities in Indonesia. For example, surnames of Bataks ethnicities are actually clan names, from which they can trace their lineage back to the tribal times. Most of the times, people can tell your ethnicity just by looking into the surnames. If you are Pasaribu, Sitinjak, Hasibuan, you are a batak. If you are Sahanaya, Lawalata then you are a Manadonese. If you are Mallarangeng, you are a Makasaresse/Buginese.

Clan names are especially unique for Minang people as children belongs to their mother's clan and the father is the only one in a nuclear family with a different clan.

Most Indonesians, however, are Javanese. Javanese doesn't have a tradition of surnames. Some Javanese surnames that you can find usually belong to the noble-blooded people only. There are a lot of ethnicities whose traditions doesn't require surnames either (such as Malay, Sundanese, etc). And Indonesian law doesn't require citizens to have one either.

Sooo.... if you're asking about Chinese-Indonesians, they are not required to have surname either. Some of them do, some just don't feel the need to have one. Some who decided to have Indonesian surnames, though, carefully thought their surnames so they are both meaningful and more often than not, contained their Chinese surname. For example, someone with Chinese surname of "Tam" would choose to have "Tamrin" as his/her surname. Or "Lim" in "Salim", "Ko" in Kohandi, "Chan" in "Chandrawinata", etc.

just want to correct your statement a lil bit, Sahanaya and Lawalata are Ambonese, not Manadonese. Manadonese if you have surnames like Kaunang, Karundeng, Manopo, Polii, Lasut, Supit, Wuisan, etc. Chinese people usually buy their Indonesian names, so there's chinese with name from Batak clan like Siregar, Simatupang, etc or Javanese name like Sutono, Suprapto, etc laugh.gif

+Quote Post
claudia
post Aug 9 2007, 02:57 AM
Post #50

AF Addict
Group Icon

I think Bhaskara was trying to say Waworuntu (Jeffrey Waworuntu from Minahasa) because his wife's Ruth Sahanaya from Ambon. Hehehehe...

+Quote Post
NEWGINAFETS
post Aug 9 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #51

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(claudia @ Aug 8 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]3119925[/snapback]
I think Bhaskara was trying to say Waworuntu (Jeffrey Waworuntu from Minahasa) because his wife's Ruth Sahanaya from Ambon. Hehehehe...

huahahah biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Aug 10 2007, 03:09 AM
Post #52

AF Elite
Group Icon

Oops, yeah icon_redface.gif I was thinking of Jeffry Waworuntu. embarassedlaugh.gif But I actually thought that Lawalatta is a Minahasan name, thanks for the correction.

+Quote Post
claudia
post Aug 10 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #53

AF Addict
Group Icon

No prob! ....See you!

+Quote Post
XxRyoChanxX
post Aug 10 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #54

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Aug 10 2007, 03:09 AM) [snapback]3122845[/snapback]
Oops, yeah icon_redface.gif I was thinking of Jeffry Waworuntu. embarassedlaugh.gif But I actually thought that Lawalatta is a Minahasan name, thanks for the correction.

i thot so too!
like mario lawalatta

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Aug 11 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #55

AF Elite
Group Icon

Ahahaa, you thought of the same thing Ryo? Yeah, I thought the Lawalatta family (Reggy, Mario, Oscar) were Minahasans.

+Quote Post
claudia
post Aug 11 2007, 02:47 AM
Post #56

AF Addict
Group Icon

Nop! Lawalatta would be Malukun.

+Quote Post
NEWGINAFETS
post Aug 11 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #57

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Aug 10 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]3125610[/snapback]
Ahahaa, you thought of the same thing Ryo? Yeah, I thought the Lawalatta family (Reggy, Mario, Oscar) were Minahasans.

so the truth has been revealed laugh.gif

+Quote Post
XxRyoChanxX
post Aug 11 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #58

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Aug 11 2007, 02:40 AM) [snapback]3125610[/snapback]

yeah! laugh.gif laugh.gif

they're only half minahasan not full

+Quote Post
Fatimasiddd
post Nov 7 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #59

AF Geek
Group Icon

First of all Was looking for impressive guide! sleep disorders in children symptoms

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 11:57 AM