Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hmong People are NOT Chinese!!!
SkyLegenD
post Sep 10 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #41

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

I'm sorry but I have never met a "Hmong" in my life. Who exactly are you people?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
furball
post Sep 11 2008, 03:33 AM
Post #42

AF Pro
Group Icon

This is hilarious coming from a white worshiping south Korean.

QUOTE(Chan-Ho @ Feb 9 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]3485131[/snapback]
I'm glad hmong people don't want to assimulate with China. Please protect your unqiue ethnic identity.

+Quote Post
population1
post Sep 11 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #43

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(SkyLegenD @ Sep 10 2008, 06:09 PM) [snapback]3916785[/snapback]
I'm sorry but I have never met a "Hmong" in my life. Who exactly are you people?

Looks like someone is behind in historical terms. Don't worry.

QUOTE(furball @ Sep 11 2008, 03:33 AM) [snapback]3917285[/snapback]
This is hilarious coming from a white worshiping south Korean.

Highly likely almost always true. Also, there are already Hmong and Chinese assimilation; however, there aren't many or hardly any in the states.

+Quote Post
SkyLegenD
post Sep 11 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #44

AF Pro
Group Icon

^Of course I said it in sarcastic way. The thing is, the issue is so small. Han Chinese do not really wish to assimilate with the Hmong either, or allow you people to assimilate with us. It's unnecessary.

This post has been edited by SkyLegenD: Sep 11 2008, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
population1
post Sep 11 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #45

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(SkyLegenD @ Sep 11 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]3917888[/snapback]
^Of course I said it in sarcastic way. The thing is, the issue is so small. Han Chinese do not really wish to assimilate with the Hmong either, or allow you people to assimilate with us. It's unnecessary.

LOL You sure got that right. I wouldn't either, nor does any other Hmong from the states. I didn't only mean Han Chinese; however, Chinese in the general sense, or as a whole in perspective, of or relating to the people in that part of the world.

I can agree it is unnecessary. Who can imagine what our culture can contract from that. Whew.

+Quote Post
Hmoobhistorian
post Mar 8 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #46

AF Fan
Group Icon

Saying that Hmong are not Chinese is like saying that Hmong are not Americans.

Hmong is one of the major ethnic people in China. You can say that Hmong are not Han, but you can not say that Hmong are not Chinese. Chinese have hundreds of ethnic group even more than Americans united under one nation.

+Quote Post
jedi77
post Mar 12 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #47

AF Addict
Group Icon

What we have here is failure to communicate. I think we have a consensus here that not being Chinese is pertaining to ethnic Chinese(Han) and not national Chinese. There is a difference. Let me clear it up for those who don't know. If you live in China, that would make you a Chinese national likewise if you live in the U.S. that would make you American or in this case Asian American(Hmong American) nonetheless still an American. Nationality pertains to country of residence, Ethnicity pertains to specific a group of peoples with the same cultural backgrounds and Race is many groups of people that share the same or similar physical characteristics, a continental term to describe all peoples living in or continent of origin. Here's the lamens interpretation: Race=Asian, Ethnicity=Hmong, Nationality=American. I used this example seeing that most of us here are from the U.S. I hope this clears things up, if not then you have a serious identity crisis. Have a wonderful day. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
lilasiankid
post Mar 12 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #48

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Yeah man, I sure as hell ain't Laotian. I'm frickin' American.

+Quote Post
jedi77
post Mar 12 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #49

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(lilasiankid @ Mar 12 2009, 11:55 AM) [snapback]4162131[/snapback]
Yeah man, I sure as hell ain't Laotian. I'm frickin' American.

Mauhahahaha...We Americans own everything...Mauhahahahaha...

+Quote Post
2FOB2BTRUE
post Jun 9 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #50

Group Icon

Today, When Chinese people say "Miao People", the word "Miao" simply stands for one of the 56 enthic groups in China, and it is also used by all the countries in south east Asia. People in China can always see Miao Singers and Actresses/Actors perform on mainstream media. Traditional Miao costume are considered highly artistic and which is one of the most representative symbols of Southern Chinese culture. In many of modern Chinese Novels(especially in Wu Xia category), the ancient Miao people are oftenly described as people who are brave, dignity, and romantic.

How's the Hmong situation in States?

Is it really Miao = Hmong? Not exactly, in fact Hmong are only one of the many sub-groups of Miao.
How many Hmong people are living in states? less then 300 thousand.

There are 9 million Miao people living in China.

so tell me, why are Hmong in States trying to speak for everyone?

+Quote Post
kaixin
post Jun 9 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #51

AF Addict
Group Icon

If I spoke to a miao people of china, "hey u are hmong but not chinese", what he/she feels?

+Quote Post
needforspeed
post Jun 9 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #52

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (kaixin @ Jun 9 2009, 08:08 AM) *
If I spoke to a miao people of china, "hey u are hmong but not chinese", what he/she feels?

Happy that you acknowledge their people and culture as not someone that gets bullied by the mainstream. how abc feel if white call him "you are not american"? that happens all the time. hmong are proud and don't want to link to china. We are our own.

+Quote Post
kaixin
post Jun 9 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #53

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (needforspeed @ Jun 9 2009, 09:18 PM) *
Happy that you acknowledge their people and culture as not someone that gets bullied by the mainstream. how abc feel if white call him "you are not american"? that happens all the time. hmong are proud and don't want to link to china. We are our own.

First miao and the other chinese enthic keep on intermarry with each other and I think we would become more and more similiar to each other.
Second whether hmong like to relate to china or not, it is ur own choice, no one wants and can to force u to link urselves to china or not. But Miao is chinese people. They are part of China. I think if I told my hmong friend "hey u are not chinese u are hmong" she would be angry at me. embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
2FOB2BTRUE
post Jun 9 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #54

Group Icon

Funny....This thread started with the word Chinese.
If you don't want to be related to something, first you stop talking about it.
and stop relating yourselves to the Miao/Hmong people in China. Even though they keep the most of Miao/Hmong's traditional culture and overwhelmingly maintain the largest Miao/Hmong population in the world.
then I'm very sure you can live as 100% Hmong-American, Hmong-French, Hmong-Canadian, Hmong-Australian...or whatever you like to be. right?

This post has been edited by 2FOB2BTRUE: Jun 9 2009, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post
lilasiankid
post Jun 9 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #55

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (2FOB2BTRUE @ Jun 9 2009, 11:01 AM) *
Funny....This thread started with the word Chinese.
If you don't want to be related to something, first you stop talking about it.
and stop relating yourselves to the Miao/Hmong people in China. Even though they keep the most of Miao/Hmong's traditional culture and overwhelmingly maintain the largest Miao/Hmong population in the world.
then I'm very sure you can live as 100% Hmong-American, Hmong-French, Hmong-Canadian, Hmong-Australian...or whatever you like to be. right?

I don't really know why the OP decided to post this here and just leave but yeah....Nobody ever thought we were Chinese. It should be directed to Non-Asians and not to Hmong.

+Quote Post
lengchai
post Jun 11 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #56

AF Pro
Group Icon

Taking into account of context, of course Hmongs are not Chinese. They are NOT from China but SE Asia.

Chinese is a nationality... not an ethnicity

+Quote Post
RegularGuy
post Jun 11 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #57

AF Geek
Group Icon

-edit

This post has been edited by RegularGuy: Jun 11 2009, 11:54 AM

+Quote Post
butt3rfli3z
post Jun 14 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #58

AF Geek
Group Icon

The Hmong came from Yunnan province China. I do not classify them as South East Asians for that is not where they were originally from. The Hmong like some have mentioned previously in other current posts, are but a small branch/group from the whole Miao minority in China.
For centuries, the Miao have not only mixed with the Hans, but some other minority groups as well. This is a good reason why today Hmong (counting only those who reside outside china) are mistaken for other races because of their appearances.

+Quote Post
LoveNStrife
post Nov 15 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #59

AF Fiend
Group Icon

I registered on this site just to reply to this post.

I am Shezu by blood. Shezu is related to the Mien branch of the Hmong-Mien family (or, in Pinyin, the Yao branch of the Miao-Yao family).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_people
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/nationality/she/

Because of my blood origin, I've always been curious about the Hmong people.

Amongst the She, Mien, and Hmong people, the Hmong people are probably the least sinicised. The She people, on the other hand, are thoroughly sinicised. Only about 1000 She people speak Ho Ne (or Huonie in Pinyin). Everyone else (around 700,000) speak Chinese.

The traditional religion of the She people, like the Yao people, is based on Daoism and shamanism. The most distinctive aspect of She culture is the elaborate traditional headresses She women used to wear.

In my family, there's little left of She culture. Our last name point to our She origin, and we know that we have She blood. Other than that, we're basically Han Chinese. In fact, my family had produced several generations of prominent Chinese nationalists. (I know of several other She families which had produced Chinese nationalists.)

Another thing, I never eat dog meat. The She ancestor, Pan Hu, was a dog, and so eating dogs is forbidden.

Personally, I identify with Zhonghua, the Chinese cultural ideal. I am satisfied that Teochiu culture and Hakka culture both have strong She components. I'm also satisfied that these days Chiyou, along with both Yandi and Huangdi, is considered an ancestor of Zhonghua.

I consider myself Chinese. I'm non-Han, I'm of She ancestry, but I'm Chinese. When westerners ask me what I am, I always say Chinese. When other Chinese people ask me where I'm from, then I tell them that I'm She by ancestry.

This is just a personal perspective. I understand why many Hmong people outside of China don't consider themselves Chinese.

This post has been edited by LoveNStrife: Nov 15 2009, 09:47 PM

+Quote Post
retaxis
post Nov 16 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #60

AF Addict
Group Icon

where people come from? don't say Hmong come from where and Chinese come from where.

"Archaeological evidence suggests that the earliest hominids in China date from 250,000 to 2.24 million years ago"

its obvious people have been in china for a lot longer then chinese/hmong/viet etc

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 04:06 PM