is Slurping while eating (pho) considered rude, or is that just cultur
dalatian
post Sep 27 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #21

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

QUOTE(Englanda @ Sep 27 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]3234021[/snapback]
Slurping pho is like making love to a beautiful woman. She's got to be hot and flowing with juices and fragrances, your lips have got to be wet and making satisfying noises. If it's total silence it's totally wrong !!!!

Oh, yes! yes! That's it! Ahhhhhhhhhh ...... biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
freakyazn
post Sep 29 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE(VIETunity @ Sep 26 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]3232617[/snapback]
My friend tells me it's rude when you slurp while eating (any kind of food). Of course, that's american mannerism. But what about in Vietnam? i know I do it because the food tastes good.

Can anyone clear things up for me. what do you guys think of slurping while eating?

In the Philippines, if you make one single noise with your mouth while eating, and this includes chewing with an open mouth, it is like really rude. But that doesn't include having a conversation while eating, but normal everyday Filipino meals are usually silent with an occasional blurb.

+Quote Post
VietVoDao
post Sep 29 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

No, it's not.

Interesting fact: In Japan, it is considered rude to not slurp your noodles because it is a sign that you are not enjoying your meal.

+Quote Post
VIETunity
post Sep 30 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #24

AF Fan
Group Icon

Group: Banned

slurping can blind the person next to you hahaha

+Quote Post
ZturboZ
post Sep 30 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #25

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE(VIETunity @ Sep 26 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]3232617[/snapback]
My friend tells me it's rude when you slurp while eating (any kind of food). Of course, that's american mannerism. But what about in Vietnam? i know I do it because the food tastes good.

Can anyone clear things up for me. what do you guys think of slurping while eating?

Use common sense.
If you're comfortable with the people around you, eat at your heart's content, otherwise, tone it down abit.

Table mannerism varies amongst cultures and each family. While some perceives slurping of food is rude
perhaps due to the sound of pigging out, while other perceives cutting a piece of meat (steak) at the table is uncouth
perhaps due to the idea of meat butchering should be done at the kitchen and not at the dinner table.

Tell your American friends when you take them to a Steakhouse icon_wink.gif payback is a b!tch, isn't it ? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ZturboZ: Sep 30 2007, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
thatsjustsick
post Oct 2 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #26

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE(freakyazn @ Sep 29 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]3239037[/snapback]
In the Philippines, if you make one single noise with your mouth while eating, and this includes chewing with an open mouth, it is like really rude. But that doesn't include having a conversation while eating, but normal everyday Filipino meals are usually silent with an occasional blurb.

Don't you guys eat with your fingers? That's a no no in vietnam for most foods.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 04:47 AM