AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 feet tall Chinese manager.....smart and handsome, How do short men hack it in the real world?
TwistedLogic
post Oct 15 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #21

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

QUOTE(mndeg @ Oct 15 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]3267558[/snapback]
i'm not insulting you. I'm telling you like it is. anyone that tells you otherwise is simply lying to you and they are not true friends. they are trying to keep you down
and I still have my dad. lol. i visit him all the time

and you are naive if you think height and how you look do not play factors in issues of promotion, etc.

you need to compensate your weaknesses by maximizing your strengths
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mndeg
post Oct 15 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #22

AF Legend
Group Icon

they don't. that's like believing straight out the freakonomics study about how asian men have to earn like 600k or something like that to be equal to white men.

retard icon_sad.gif
THINK.

+Quote Post
TwistedLogic
post Oct 15 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #23

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(mndeg @ Oct 15 2007, 01:14 AM) [snapback]3267568[/snapback]
they don't. that's like believing straight out the freakonomics study about how asian men have to earn like 600k or something like that to be equal to white men.

I never believed or said that. YOU did.

But asian men do have to be better at certain things in order to reach the same status within a company as a white.

+Quote Post
Takashi
post Oct 15 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #24

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE(TwistedLogic @ Oct 15 2007, 06:25 AM) [snapback]3267580[/snapback]
But asian men do have to be better at certain things in order to reach the same status within a company as a white.

Not always but it's safer to be better than everyone else to ensure that no one can try and screw you over.

It's like that in a lot of professions, the number of ethnic minority judges over here is abysmal.

+Quote Post
TwistedLogic
post Oct 15 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #25

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(Takashi @ Oct 15 2007, 01:28 AM) [snapback]3267582[/snapback]
Not always but it's safer to be better than everyone else to ensure that no one can try and screw you over.

It's like that in a lot of professions, the number of ethnic minority judges over here is abysmal.

Yeh what I mean is that for Asian managers to be in some sort of leadership capacity, whether its in a company or some organization, they usually need to focus on more of the concrete/technical skills rather than using their soft skills. So that when they do reach that leadership position, they are very competent at what they do and so its harder for others to find reason to screw you over. At the same time, you gotta get along with everyone and not get too deeply involved in the politics.

There are a lot of managers in companies who are deadweight and are totally useless outside the context of the company they work for. They have no real skills and rely on using their authority as well as office politics to survive. I'm just saying that Asian managers can't resort to these same tactics and if they do, they're most likely gonna get fu-ked.

This post has been edited by TwistedLogic: Oct 15 2007, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
mndeg
post Oct 15 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #26

AF Legend
Group Icon

do you know what analogies are? icon_neutral.gif

+Quote Post
bayard
post Oct 16 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #27

AF Pro
Group Icon

tall asians are not that rare anymore. My brother has I are 5'11" and 6". Asians in my field are pretty well respected overall.

+Quote Post
corky
post Oct 16 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #28

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(TwistedLogic @ Oct 14 2007, 03:43 AM) [snapback]3264953[/snapback]
When I was looking through the list of mentors available who graduated from my program at my university, the majority of people on the list were Asian. And they had the typical occupations. I was surprised when I saw this guy's profile.

He's 29 years old. He's a manager already. He's in charge of large projects. So I contacted him through my university alumni. We met up for coffee today to discuss my career and my future.

At the coffee shop, in walks this 6 feet (at least) tall Chinese guy. Broad shoulders. Confident looking. We shake hands. His handshake is strong and confident, not weak like mine.

He opens his mouth to talk to me and I find out he's....a fob. I detect a slight chinese accent which he has worked hard to get rid of. He said that if you wish to get into management, one of the very least things you need to do is to get rid of your foreign accent. He came to Canada when he was 15 so I'm sure his accent was quite heavy and I can't imagine the pain he had to go through to get rid of it.

I told him my story and he told me his. He's exactly where I want to be when I am 29. Asians who are in senior positions are rare. He says it was tough for him too with his background. He is more technically accomplished than the other managers at his company, who are mostly white. He's a hands-on manager and because of this, the people working under him all respect him. The people working under him are mostly whites. But because he is so competent, they have no problems taking orders from him.

He told me that in order for an Asian to be a leader of some sort in a company, he has to know more than his white counterpart. He has to be more technically adept and knowledgeable. He told me to volunteer for as many tasks/projects available and learn as much as I can. That way, if I'm ever in a leadership position, I will be the most experienced and competent and my right to lead is based on merit, not on other things.

Asian managers can't afford to be second rate like white managers can. White managers may get a few chances if they screw up but with asian managers, there is little room for error.

I could tell that his personality is somewhat outgoing. Above all, he's confident. He's even taller than a lot of white guys. I can see him as a leader and I can see people following him.

I'm a short guy with an introverted personality. Even if I do all the things he suggests to me, can I be the same as him? Do I have any leadership ability? Will people follow me?

why in apost about a chinese man are white people mentioned like 10 times? Talktohand.gif

+Quote Post
SkylineC83
post Oct 16 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #29

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(bayard @ Oct 16 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]3270620[/snapback]
tall asians are not that rare anymore. My brother has I are 5'11" and 6". Asians in my field are pretty well respected overall.

yeah likewise beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
beaudelaire
post Oct 19 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #30

AF Fiend
Group Icon

i just want to say a lil thing ,president sarkozy is not very tall but he's the hea of the french government,as well as the kajinsky brother who are at the head of poland,even president kysinger former president of the usa so....

+Quote Post
mndeg
post Oct 19 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #31

AF Legend
Group Icon

putin is 5'7 and he could easily win in a presidential/dictator fight in some kind of international MMA competition

LOL

+Quote Post
PB.
post Oct 19 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #32

AF Guru
Group Icon

6 feet tall Chinese manager.....smart and handsome

+Quote Post
bobbycuzin
post Oct 19 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #33

AF Geek
Group Icon

there's many examples of napoleon complexes out there, 6 ft tall chinese are nothing new...i'm one of them and never had an advantage over shorter people who were equally qualified, although i'm only 21 and probably in a completely different career field than you

+Quote Post
PinoyAmerican
post Oct 21 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #34

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(TwistedLogic @ Oct 14 2007, 12:52 AM) [snapback]3265772[/snapback]
What the fu-k? Are you a military recruiter or something? All your posts are related to the military.

FYI, I'm not American and my country is not fighting an illegal war.

Operation Enduring Freedom and Afghanistan isn't illegal.

As for Iraq? Hey...well..that's what these Muslims get for illegally murdering 3000 of my fellow Americans on SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.

An eye for an eye.

+Quote Post
felltohell
post Oct 21 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #35

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE(TwistedLogic @ Oct 13 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]3264953[/snapback]
When I was looking through the list of mentors available who graduated from my program at my university, the majority of people on the list were Asian. And they had the typical occupations. I was surprised when I saw this guy's profile.

He's 29 years old. He's a manager already. He's in charge of large projects. So I contacted him through my university alumni. We met up for coffee today to discuss my career and my future.

At the coffee shop, in walks this 6 feet (at least) tall Chinese guy. Broad shoulders. Confident looking. We shake hands. His handshake is strong and confident, not weak like mine.

He opens his mouth to talk to me and I find out he's....a fob. I detect a slight chinese accent which he has worked hard to get rid of. He said that if you wish to get into management, one of the very least things you need to do is to get rid of your foreign accent. He came to Canada when he was 15 so I'm sure his accent was quite heavy and I can't imagine the pain he had to go through to get rid of it.

I told him my story and he told me his. He's exactly where I want to be when I am 29. Asians who are in senior positions are rare. He says it was tough for him too with his background. He is more technically accomplished than the other managers at his company, who are mostly white. He's a hands-on manager and because of this, the people working under him all respect him. The people working under him are mostly whites. But because he is so competent, they have no problems taking orders from him.

He told me that in order for an Asian to be a leader of some sort in a company, he has to know more than his white counterpart. He has to be more technically adept and knowledgeable. He told me to volunteer for as many tasks/projects available and learn as much as I can. That way, if I'm ever in a leadership position, I will be the most experienced and competent and my right to lead is based on merit, not on other things.

Asian managers can't afford to be second rate like white managers can. White managers may get a few chances if they screw up but with asian managers, there is little room for error.

I could tell that his personality is somewhat outgoing. Above all, he's confident. He's even taller than a lot of white guys. I can see him as a leader and I can see people following him.

I'm a short guy with an introverted personality. Even if I do all the things he suggests to me, can I be the same as him? Do I have any leadership ability? Will people follow me?

man why the fu-k are you so insecure?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:32 PM