Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tarian Melayu
Bhaskara
post Apr 3 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #1

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Members

I think the forum in serious case of needing lighter topics, that's why I'm starting this thread. Saya cukup faham mengenai tari-tarian Melayu di kepulauan kami, akan tetapi saya kurang faham mengenai tari-tarian Melayu yang ada di semenanjung. Marilah kita saling berbagi maklumat, samada itu adalah gambar, video, maupun sejarah dan ceritera di sebalik tari-tarian tersebut.

Sorry if my Malay sounds weird to you guys icon_redface.gif

Anyway, from what I know, there's one universal dance in the Malay world, whether it is in Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Singapore, or Indonesia. That is: Zapin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tef9TJJUjzQ
Does any of you have the pics and videos to share?
And how about other dance forms? Do share with the rest of us!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Esfandiari
post Apr 3 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

I can't think of one right now! How about this old P. Ramlee song named 'Azizah' from the Malay movie 'Penarik Beca'? Nice song, may be some people can do a Malay tarian to it??

When Anwar Ibrahim was in prisom, this was the song he sang so much....reminded him so much of his wife!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WheZVwAGZDE

Or this other old P. Ramlee song, 'Tanya Sama Hati', also from 'Penarik Beca'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utQp-gcHBUA&NR=1

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Apr 4 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

So there are becas in Malaysia too, huh? embarassedlaugh.gif I didn't know that.

+Quote Post
dreamhunter
post Apr 5 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

Some people say that the oldest, most original forms of Budaya Melayu, including Tarian Melayu, w.r.t. to Semenanjung Melayu, r to be found in the north. Cos that's where the earliest Malay states started, i.e. the kingdoms that together formed the Langkasuka Alliance, i.e. the cradle of classical Malay civilisation in the Semenanjung.

Whereas the Budaya/Tarian Melayu of the southern Semenanjung came much later n has a decidedly greater Javanese or Sumatran influence. Topped up again by later Arabic etc. influences.

While others say that, at first impression, the old Budaya/Tarian Melayu of the northerrn region seems to be some sort of half-way house between Budaya/Tarian Thai n Budaya/Tarian Jawa.

My 2 cents' worth:

Siamese culture was drawn from old Angkor Khmer culture, as both Sukothai n Ayutthaya were acknowledged as former Khmer provinces under the Angkor realm before they were conquered by Thai princes n reinvented into early Thai kingdoms.

In turn, the culture of Angkor Khmer, n before that Chenla Khmer, were drawn from that of Funan, widely acknowledged as the earliest civilised kingdom in SEA.

While old Semenanjung Melayu culture, specifically northern Melayu culture, were also modelled on old Funanese culture.

That then explains the slight similarities between northern Budaya/Tarian Melayu n Budaya/Tarian Thai.

Whether old Funan was ethnically Malay or ethnically Khmer is then another matter.

Have you heard of Mak Yong n Menora? These r Kelantanese folk dances. Menora definitely has that Thai feel about it. If I'm not mistaken, it's got an all-male cast. Even the role of princess/queen is played by a man. Heavily made up, of course.

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Apr 6 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(dreamhunter @ Apr 6 2008, 02:45 AM) [snapback]3616683[/snapback]
Some people say that the oldest, most original forms of Budaya Melayu, including Tarian Melayu, w.r.t. to Semenanjung Melayu, r to be found in the north. Cos that's where the earliest Malay states started, i.e. the kingdoms that together formed the Langkasuka Alliance, i.e. the cradle of classical Malay civilisation in the Semenanjung.

Whereas the Budaya/Tarian Melayu of the southern Semenanjung came much later n has a decidedly greater Javanese or Sumatran influence. Topped up again by later Arabic etc. influences.

While others say that, at first impression, the old Budaya/Tarian Melayu of the northerrn region seems to be some sort of half-way house between Budaya/Tarian Thai n Budaya/Tarian Jawa.

My 2 cents' worth:

Siamese culture was drawn from old Angkor Khmer culture, as both Sukothai n Ayutthaya were acknowledged as former Khmer provinces under the Angkor realm before they were conquered by Thai princes n reinvented into early Thai kingdoms.

In turn, the culture of Angkor Khmer, n before that Chenla Khmer, were drawn from that of Funan, widely acknowledged as the earliest civilised kingdom in SEA.

While old Semenanjung Melayu culture, specifically northern Melayu culture, were also modelled on old Funanese culture.

That then explains the slight similarities between northern Budaya/Tarian Melayu n Budaya/Tarian Thai.

Whether old Funan was ethnically Malay or ethnically Khmer is then another matter.

Have you heard of Mak Yong n Menora? These r Kelantanese folk dances. Menora definitely has that Thai feel about it. If I'm not mistaken, it's got an all-male cast. Even the role of princess/queen is played by a man. Heavily made up, of course.

I have to say that I never know any Malay dance which has similarities with Javanese dance icon_neutral.gif Most of the Malay dances I know have heavy Arabic/Persian/Indian influences instead.
I've actually watched Thai and Lao Manohra. According to Dara, our Cambodian guru, Manohra style dance actually came from the Malay peninsula, then it was adopted by our Indochinese friends. I've never seen Mak Yong dance before, but I do know that the Malay Peninsula came up with it first, then later, my brethren in Sumatra adopted it from you guys.
So Malay peninsula have actually influenced its neighbors with its dance styles. Too bad, I don't think you guys fully realize this fact, and you don't really give a damn about these heritages.

This post has been edited by Bhaskara: Apr 6 2008, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
dreamhunter
post Apr 6 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Apr 6 2008, 09:06 PM) [snapback]3619346[/snapback]
I have to say that I never know any Malay dance which has similarities with Javanese dance icon_neutral.gif Most of the Malay dances I know have heavy Arabic/Persian/Indian influences instead.

I've actually watched Thai and Lao Manohra. According to Dara, our Cambodian guru, Manohra style dance actually came from the Malay peninsula, then it was adopted by our Indochinese friends. I've never seen Mak Yong dance before, but I do know that the Malay Peninsula came up with it first, then later, my brethren in Sumatra adopted it from you guys.
So Malay peninsula have actually influenced its neighbors with its dance styles. Too bad, I don't think you guys fully realize this fact, and you don't really give a damn about these heritages.

Some Johorean dances would have had some, if not that much, Javanese influences, I would have thought. Cos a large percentage of Johoreans have like a mixed Malay-Javanese ancestry.

If your Cambodian guru was right about the Menora, that's really interesting, I think. Well, it's quite logical actually, if you consider that Malays came first to SEA, followed by Mon n Khmer, followed again by Thai, Seam n Lao.

So Malay culture would have been an older culture than Mon n Khmer, let alone Thai, Seam n Lao, in mainland SEA. Although we have to admit we didn't rise to such heights of glory, especially the temple-building stuff, like the Angkorean Khmers once did.

Funny, but if you just go ask the average Malay youth to go see a Menora play n ask them what they think, they'd v likely say that it looks like a Thai/Siamese thing.

But Mak Yong I think is an ethnic Kelantanese dance through n through.

I'd say again that old Funan would have been the likely link between Malay n Khmer cultures. While Thai, Seam n Lao cultures would have borrowed heavily from the Khmer peoples that they first submitted to, n later defeated n conquered.

+Quote Post
dreamhunter
post Apr 6 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

Throghout the reign of Funan as the regional power, the 'Rome', of ancient SEA, the kingdoms of the Langkasuka Alliance, especially the eastern side, like Pattani, Kelantan n Kedah was under vassalage to, or protection of, Funan. That was from late first century or earlier, until 550 AD, when Funan completely collapsed n was absorbed by Khmer Chenla.

There would have been much Malay-Khmer cultural interaction during that Funanese time. Funan itself was a mixed Malay-Mon-Khmer realm. As to who actually ruled at the very top is something of considerable debate. Well, at least between certain quarters.

After Funan fell, Malay vassalage shifted temporarily to the Mon kingdoms of Thaton (in today's Myanmar) n Dvavaravati (in today's Thailand), before the Langkasukan kingdoms eventually came under continuously varying degrees of Srivijayan/Sailendran influence. That would have provided the openings for peninsular-islandic cultural exchanges.

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Apr 7 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #8

AF Elite
Group Icon

Do you have any vids and/or pics of Malay Menora and Mak Yong?

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Apr 8 2008, 01:55 AM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

Joget Tari Lenggang (Joget Pahang)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc-PwW7dUe4

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Apr 8 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Apr 8 2008, 09:41 AM) [snapback]3621632[/snapback]
Do you have any vids and/or pics of Malay Menora and Mak Yong?

Mak Yong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qb2K5MgRJg

Malaysian Dances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2tl6rIbmKM

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Apr 8 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #11

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(HangPC2 @ Apr 8 2008, 01:59 PM) [snapback]3622282[/snapback]

Thanks! The Mal Yong dance seems really interesting, I wish they came with subtitles embarassedlaugh.gif
The video of compilation of Malaysian Dances is a crap, though. The video maker doesn't even know how our gong looks like, he/she put up a pic of Northeastern gong instead thumbsdown.gif . Plus, I could've sworn that tune used in the video is a Javanese gamelan music.

This post has been edited by Bhaskara: Apr 8 2008, 02:51 AM

+Quote Post
Esfandiari
post Apr 8 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Apr 4 2008, 08:48 PM) [snapback]3615503[/snapback]
So there are becas in Malaysia too, huh? embarassedlaugh.gif I didn't know that.

Becas are practically extinct in Malaysia...except may be in my hometown of Alor Star, Georgetown (Pulau Pinang), Kota Bharu (Kelantan) or in Kuala Terengganu (Terengganu) but even in these places they are so few that that you don't need all your fingers to count them. No becas in Kuala Lumpur as far as I can see. Why you ask? You're interested in becas? Becas were plentiful, even in Singapore, when P Ramlee was young but most of us weren't born yet then!

Do you still have becas in Jakarta or other Indonesian cities? Sorry to deviate from 'Tarian' to 'becas'!! But you started it first!! Do we have something call 'Tarian Beca'??

+Quote Post
Esfandiari
post Apr 8 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

How about Joget? In Kedah, berjoget is also called bergencok! Joget is said to brougth to SE Asia by the Portuguese when they conquered Melaka. This is an article about Joget, from:

http://www.dancemalaysia.com/Dance/Traditi...Joget/joget.htm

The Joget is the most popular traditional dance throughout Malaysia.

It is performed at cultural festivals, wedding celebrations and other social functions.

The Joget's origin has been traced back and associated with a Portuguese for dance which was introduced to Malacca during the era of the spice trade.

The Joget is a couple dance and the tempo is fairly quick with the a feeling of teasing and playing between the partners.

In Malacca it is better known as Chakunchak.

This possibly refers to the rhythm of the movements of the feet in Joget where there is transference of weight to the beat 1& 2, rather similar to a ‘step ball change’ in Western dance.

This is sometimes called a ‘double step’.

A simplified version or sometimes referred to as the ‘single step’ includes the transfer of weight or ‘ball change’ but with just a tap of the second foot.

+Quote Post
Esfandiari
post Apr 8 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

Will this be considered Joget?? Or can we do the joget to it?? Hahahahaa!! Just kidding!! Akemi Ishii doing the lambada!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1popwWI546I

+Quote Post
Esfandiari
post Apr 8 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

How about ramvong? It was popular in Kedah when I was a kid. I understand it originates from Thailand or least it spread to Kedah from Thailand.

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Apr 8 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

Tarian Tradisional Melayu

* Tarian Asli
* Tarian Asyik
* Tarian Ayam Didik
* Tarian Balai
* Tarian Barongan
* Tarian Calok (Sumpah-Sumpah)
* Tarian Ceracap Inai
* Tarian Cik Siti Wau Bulan
* Tarian Cinta Sayang
* Tarian Dabus
* Tarian Gayong Otar
* Tarian Hadrah
* Tarian Hala
* Tarian Ikan
* Tarian Inang
* Tarian Jala Ikan
* Tarian Joget
* Tarian Kuda Kepang
* Tarian Labi-Labi
* Tarian Lagu Anak Indung
* Tarian Lesung Indik Beras Bertampi
* Tarian Lilin
* Tarian Mak Inang
* Tarian Masri Kercing
* Tarian Pelanduk
* Tarian Piring
* Tarian Randai
* Tarian Saba
* Tarian Sarah
* Tarian Sewang
* Tarian Siti Payung
* Tarian Tempurung
* Tarian Upih
* Tarian Zapin
* Tarian Zapin Arab
* Tarian Zapin Johor
* Tarian Zapin Lenga
* Tarian Zapin Pekan
* Tarian Zapin Tenglu

+Quote Post
Esfandiari
post Apr 8 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(HangPC2 @ Apr 8 2008, 09:29 AM) [snapback]3622713[/snapback]
Tarian Tradisional Melayu
* Tarian Asli
* Tarian Asyik
* Tarian Ayam Didik
* Tarian Balai
* Tarian Barongan
* Tarian Calok (Sumpah-Sumpah)
* Tarian Ceracap Inai
* Tarian Cik Siti Wau Bulan
* Tarian Cinta Sayang
* Tarian Dabus
* Tarian Gayong Otar
* Tarian Hadrah
* Tarian Hala
* Tarian Ikan
* Tarian Inang
* Tarian Jala Ikan
* Tarian Joget
* Tarian Kuda Kepang
* Tarian Labi-Labi
* Tarian Lagu Anak Indung
* Tarian Lesung Indik Beras Bertampi
* Tarian Lilin
* Tarian Mak Inang
* Tarian Masri Kercing
* Tarian Pelanduk
* Tarian Piring
* Tarian Randai
* Tarian Saba
* Tarian Sarah
* Tarian Sewang
* Tarian Siti Payung
* Tarian Tempurung
* Tarian Upih
* Tarian Zapin
* Tarian Zapin Arab
* Tarian Zapin Johor
* Tarian Zapin Lenga
* Tarian Zapin Pekan
* Tarian Zapin Tenglu

Wow! HangPC, this is a long list of Malay 'tarians'! Gee! I don't know that we have that many! Wow! We're quite culturally rich! We should be proud, we should promote them nationwide as much as we can as well as internationally. These tarians/dances should be promoted in schools, colleges, universities and at our foreign missions..

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Apr 8 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #18

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(Esfandiari @ Apr 8 2008, 07:55 PM) [snapback]3622574[/snapback]
Becas are practically extinct in Malaysia...except may be in my hometown of Alor Star, Georgetown (Pulau Pinang), Kota Bharu (Kelantan) or in Kuala Terengganu (Terengganu) but even in these places they are so few that that you don't need all your fingers to count them. No becas in Kuala Lumpur as far as I can see. Why you ask? You're interested in becas? Becas were plentiful, even in Singapore, when P Ramlee was young but most of us weren't born yet then!

Do you still have becas in Jakarta or other Indonesian cities? Sorry to deviate from 'Tarian' to 'becas'!! But you started it first!! Do we have something call 'Tarian Beca'??

Becaks are forbidden in Jakarta and some other urban areas.

Tell me about this "joget". What is the definition of a "joget", what makes it different from other types of dance?

+Quote Post
dreamhunter
post Apr 9 2008, 04:33 AM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

Asyik and Terinai Dance

Azanin Ahmad, the leading exponent of contemporary Malay dance today, has said, "When asked about Malay classical dance, people always describe it as in the middle between Thai and Jawanese court dances. But in fact it has its own style which we could refer to as present day Kelantan-Pattani".

Asyik and Terinai fall in the category of pure dance, as opposed to the theatrical dance of Menora and Mak Yong. Asyik is a classical court dance believed to have originated in the Pattani court of Ratu Kuning in the 17th century. The Tales of Pattani depict it as twelve court maidens who dance and sing, while Peter Flores in 1612 described Asyik as a dance of eleven dancers. Perhaps the eleven dancers consisted of ten performers who danced and sang with one Puteri Asyik and one singer. The main part of Asyik dance consists of kneeling and sitting positions with movements depicting animals and their surroundings: ocean waves undulating, birds flying, fish swimming, elephants parading, and so forth. Some movements are similar to Mak Yong dance theatre. Asyik was normally performed by teenage girls of the court.

Azanin Ahmad utilised Asyik in her dance drama Puteri Saadong in 1980. In 1990 she was asked by the Kelantan Royal House to restore the authentic Asyik dance performed by teenage girls of the court for performances to be held in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bangkok, as female dancing is banned by the Islamic government in Kelantan. The Ministry of Arts, Culture and Tourism jazzed up the repertoire to gain popularity as classical Asyik dance is extremely slow and elegant, normally performed for queens and kings. Dancers dress in 'berkemban' mode, i.e. wrapped in cloth from chest to thigh, with another piece of sarong underneath, a belt buckle on top and a little crown called Pemeles.

Terinai is another form of court dance in Perlis, north of Kedah and Kelantan. Though Terinai or Tari Inai is a court dance, it is less frequently performed compared to Asyik. It is only staged for very special occasions such as royal weddings and coronations. Tari means dance and Inai means the orange coloured herbs painted on fingernails, worn by the bride and groom a few days before the night of the wedding ceremony. This dance, because of its ceremonial nature, involves complex finger and hand movements in a continuous dance circle. It is a combination of dance forms found in Mak Yong, Silat and acrobatic postures called Meliuk, in which the dancers bend the body backward while standing with face looking down to the floor. In the past, this dance was performed by two men. The last male performer in Kelantan was injured in an accident, and now his daughter continues it. The last male Terinai dancer of Perlis died a few years ago.

As in the case of Mak Yong and Menora, Asyik and Terinai are also unique in having no counterpart in other parts of Malaysia.

+Quote Post
Bhaskara
post Apr 9 2008, 04:35 AM
Post #20

AF Elite
Group Icon

^Really interesting, reading it makes me want to have a see. Got any video of them?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 05:03 PM