AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Antique photos from colonial times, interesting stuff!
Majapahitans
post Jan 22 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #121

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: Members

QUOTE(DEL @ Jan 21 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]2669130[/snapback]

Early on this day my Indonesian grandfather died.
It was very hard to see, especially because i saw him a few days ago where he helped me with Indonesian. Now he won't hear me speaking it fluently as i promised. He told me about his history, the war and why he left Indonesia to go to the Netherlands.

History is hard and it lays deep in the heart of everyone, but it shouldn't be the reason to hate.

.................... icon_sad.gif condolence.....

I'm sure your grandfather is proud of you.
He life an interesting and challenging life.
His memory will life through generations, through your father, and you.

I'm glad that you've inherit his wisdom of peace and extigushing the fire of hatred.....
You should cherish it....

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DEL
post Jan 22 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #122

AF Pro
Group Icon

thanks everyone.

+Quote Post
purnomor
post Feb 12 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #123

AF Elite
Group Icon

RIJSWIJKSTRAAT (JALAN VETERAN), THE MAIN SHOPPING STREET OF BATAVIA (JAKARTA)

IPB Image
Apotheek Rathkamp (Rathkamp Pharmacy) at Rijswijkstraat 18 and Boekhandel Wigerink (Wigerink's Bookstore) at Rijswijkstraat 16.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Other views of Rijswijkstraat

CARPENTIER ALTING STICHTING SCHOOL, THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR EUROPEANS IN BATAVIA (JAKARTA)

IPB Image
Founded in 1902 by Dutch Protestant pastor and prominent Freemason Albertus Samuel Carpentier Alting(1837-1915) on Koningsplein Oost 14 (now Jalan Medan Merdeka Timur), the CAS (Carpentier Alting Foundation) School was for the next half-century known as the best private school for European children in Batavia (Jakarta) and even the whole Netherlands East Indies. CAS developed into a lyceum (primary school); MULO (Meer Uitgebreid Lager Onderwijs), junior highschool; and HBS (Hogere Burger School), senior highschool. After independence in 1945, the CAS remained operational to serve Djakarta's large remaining white settler community, although the Indonesian government forced the school to admit students from all races. All the Dutch students and teachers of CAS was expelled by Indonesian government by 1961, on which year the school was abolished and its premises turned into SDN 01 (State Primary School No. 1).

IPB Image
CAS Lyceum (primary school) graduating class of 1937 with their teacher Mr Markies

+Quote Post
jokotarub
post Feb 12 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #124

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(DEL @ Jan 22 2007, 04:04 AM) [snapback]2669130[/snapback]

Early on this day my Indonesian grandfather died. His heart stopped yesterdaynight and they kept him alive with medicines. It was very hard to see, especially because i saw him a few days ago where he helped me with Indonesian. Now he won't hear me speaking it fluently as i promised. He told me about his history, the war and why he left Indonesia to go to the Netherlands.

My deepest condolences. May his gentle soul rest in eternal peace.

+Quote Post
kash
post Mar 14 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #125

Group Icon

IPB Image

bandoeng 1930
-----

http://www.pfau.nl/gallery/album113

hello everyone im new here,
2 days ago i was looking for things related to my grandmother adriane jeanne altmann van rijn
i typted in altmann and bandoeng because i know she lived there before and some years after the war

first i was shocked seeing the pictures i scanned in and put on my photosite
placed here on the board

with some description i didnt even knew

my grand mother didnt like to talk about what happened in indonesia.

at the moment im scanning some more pictures at a higher resolution then the placed pics on my photoalbum.
(some more of indonesia, my grandmother and granddad and fam + some old other pictures related to them)

i will update you as soon as that is done.

the only thing that bothers me is
or maybe not, its ok that some one is using the pictures but at least the person could have asked....

please purnomor hit me up on my email adress or pm..

after jeanne and paul moved here they got another daughter Shirley ann (kiki) altmann
im kiki's oldest son and im very interested in more story;s from my grandmother
and ive got the feeling you know more then we know.
please hit me up.

take care everyone

+Quote Post
purnomor
post Mar 17 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #126

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(kash @ Mar 14 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]2790895[/snapback]

IPB Image

bandoeng 1930
-----

http://www.pfau.nl/gallery/album113

hello everyone im new here,
2 days ago i was looking for things related to my grandmother adriane jeanne altmann van rijn
i typted in altmann and bandoeng because i know she lived there before and some years after the war

first i was shocked seeing the pictures i scanned in and put on my photosite
placed here on the board

with some description i didnt even knew

my grand mother didnt like to talk about what happened in indonesia.

at the moment im scanning some more pictures at a higher resolution then the placed pics on my photoalbum.
(some more of indonesia, my grandmother and granddad and fam + some old other pictures related to them)

i will update you as soon as that is done.

the only thing that bothers me is
or maybe not, its ok that some one is using the pictures but at least the person could have asked....

please purnomor hit me up on my email adress or pm..

after jeanne and paul moved here they got another daughter Shirley ann (kiki) altmann
im kiki's oldest son and im very interested in more story;s from my grandmother
and ive got the feeling you know more then we know.
please hit me up.

take care everyone

Hi kash

I found your pics by accident online, and I am very interested in bringing the story of your grandmother and other former white settlers in Indonesia in this forum. The information I gave, came from the information you give in your website combined with known historical inferrence from the period when your grandparents lived in Indonesia. Pardon me should my postings make you feel uncomfortable.

Looking forward for your new pics.

+Quote Post
KerlenJG
post Sep 18 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #127

Group Icon

QUOTE(purnomor @ Dec 17 2006, 05:57 AM) [snapback]2577409[/snapback]
JOURNEY OF KERLEN FAMILY OF SEMARANG, A TYPICAL DUTCH SETTLER FAMILY IN INDONESIA

Johannes Godfried Kerlen (1850-1927) was born in Zuthpen, Netherlands. He arrived in Indonesia in 1870 as a lieutenant with the KNIL (Royal Netherlands Indies Army). He had a distinguished military career as army engineer, participating in the first and second Aceh invasions of 1873 and 1874, and spending most of the following decades fighting the rebellious Acehnese. He received knighthood with the title ridder 1e klasse in de orde van Nederlandsche Leeuw. He retired as a general, and died in Bandoeng in 1927 aged 77.

In 1878, JG Kerlen married half-Chinese daughter of a German settler, Charlotte Baumgarten. They had five children, Johannes (born 1883), Jopie (born 1884), Greta (born 1885), Milly (born 1886), and Charlotte (born 1887). Charlotte Baumgarten died in Medan soon after giving birth to her fifth child. Afterwards, Johannes Kerlen gave away his three daughters to an orphanage in Batavia, while keeping his two sons. He married again twice, with Hendrika Cornelia Polkijn who died in an 1888 malaria outbreak and Agnes Maria Naessens who died in 1900 due to miscarriage.

Johannes Godfried Kerlen Jr (1883-1940), the eldest son, was born in Bengkalis - Riau. He worked as sugar factory manager in Semarang - Central Java. There, he married daughter of a local Dutch settler, Caroline Juliana van Zanten in 1912. Here Johannes Kerlen Jr posed with his eldest son Hans in 1912.

Here, Johannes Kerlen Jr posed with Hans and newborn second son Ernst, in 1914.

Caroline Juliana van Zanten-Kerlen posing with Hans, Ernst, and newborn baby daughter Marijke in a 1915 letter sent to relatives back in the Netherlands.

Caroline van Zanten-Kerlen with Hans, Ernst, Marijke, and two neighbours' children in front of their Semarang home in 1918.

Hans, Ernst, and Marijke posing with their mother and three cousins (children of Jopie Kerlen) in 1921.

Ernst, Marijke, and their two cousins in 1921.

Kerlen children playing with the family car

Johannes and Caroline Kerlen with teenage Ernst in 1930

Hi there puromor could you possibly contact me in some way please? This post is of significance to me as I am directly descended from the family above and would love to get my hands on these pictures and information.

Thanks

+Quote Post
jrockerz
post Sep 18 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #128

AF Pro
Group Icon

this is the video of batavia 1919
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGxCBzo45M

look romantic! wish jakarta keep some historical heritage. and renovate some classic building

sad past truth eh ....
if i were in the colonial era, i would be in Indonesia side,
and wouldn't hesitate to kill the attacking enemy.

but after proclamation 1945 we gained revolution/victory by struggle not given, that's our pride ,friends.
also both colonial already admit their guilt.
so there is no reason to hate to day. war is over. icon_smile.gif, all we do

keep the memories comin'.
I should scan some personal pic of my dad or gramp ^^

This post has been edited by jrockerz: Sep 18 2008, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
Ralf
post Sep 18 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #129

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

Wow ! I am glad this topic has not sunk into total obscurity. Lots of history here.
Too bad purnomor is no longer in our forum.

jrockerz I checked the YouTube link, thanks - it brings up a whole bunch of related footage from a bygone era.

This post has been edited by Ralf: Sep 18 2008, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
Gustaaf
post Sep 19 2008, 05:44 AM
Post #130

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE(bandung @ Dec 17 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]2576088[/snapback]
^i thought you indonesians loved the dutch?

I think it's different for each people, for myself, I cant say I hate Dutch, or love them, since I'm mixed Chinese+Javanese+Dutch, but I live not exclusively in any of these culture, so I consider myself more as typical 3rd generation Indonesian Chinese who forgot their own identity. But again, if someone has information of De Wilde family who migrated in Indonesia, it would be much appreciated, since my great-great grandfather (from de Wilde) was expelled from his family, because he married to chinese woman! thumbsdown.gif

Can't believe there was time when Dutch was as xenophobic as the Aryan.

+Quote Post
DutchEastIndiesM...
post Sep 19 2008, 08:42 AM
Post #131

AF Guru
Group Icon

^Interesting story !!

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Nov 6 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #132

AF Pro
Group Icon

Hulubalang @ Pendekar Aceh (Aceh Warrior)

Sultanate Aceh Guard (Nias Island)

Marechaussee (1904)

An Aceh fort after capture by the Dutch in a 1901 photograph (1904)

Gunungan, Kutaraja ''Banda Aceh'' (1874)

This post has been edited by HangPC2: Nov 6 2008, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Nov 6 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #133

AF Pro
Group Icon

Sepasang pengantin Aceh, sekitar tahun 1880.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 4902

Teuku Panglima Maharaja Syahbandar Tiban Muhammad
dengan keluarga di Aceh, tahun 1892.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 4915

Rumah Gubernur di Kutaraja (Banda Aceh), tahun 1878.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 2988

Gamelan dalam benteng di Meulaboh, sekitar tahun 1894.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 11776

"Atjeh Tram" di atas jembatan "Demmeni"
di Kutaraja (Banda Aceh), sekitar tahun 1895.
Sumber foto : KITLV Leiden, 27493

Prajurit KNIL (Tentara Kerajaan Hindia-Belanda)
di Gunungan, Kutaraja (Banda Aceh), tahun 1874.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 19273

Dayah di Kutaraja (Banda Aceh) dengan
makam Tengku Dianjong, tahun 1892.
Sumber foto : KITLV Leiden, 4925

Pasar Kerbau di depan Masjid Raya Baiturrahman
di Kutaraja tahun 1892.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 4913

"Hotel de l'Europe" di Kutaraja
(Banda Aceh), tahun 1892.
Sumber Foto : KITLV Leiden, 4946

Credit

http://www.e-aceh-nias.org

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Nov 17 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #134

AF Pro
Group Icon

Masjid Raya Baiturrahman

+Quote Post
HangPC2
post Nov 17 2008, 03:23 AM
Post #135

AF Pro
Group Icon

Kediaman Gabenor Belanda Di Kutaraja (1874)

Lapangan Neusu di Kutaraja (1874)

+Quote Post
Gustaaf
post Nov 17 2008, 05:14 AM
Post #136

AF Geek
Group Icon

for these who have dutch-indonesia mixed heritage, I recommend you to join this indo-dutch community in facebook icon_smile.gif

These people have lot interesting story to tell, some even stranger than fiction and never acrossed my mind (like how a jewish actually marry an Indonesian moslem, since indonesia government never recognizes Israel as nation). I joined this in order to find clues of my scattered dutch family tree, but it seems I will give up my hope since my family name is too generic.

+Quote Post
Apeldoornsejonge
post May 2 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #137

Group Icon

Hello to all,
I am not too familiar with this site nad the protocol, however, I was very interested in the History and photo's of Banda Atjeh.

My Grandfather served in Atceh (whatever the spelling), from 1895 to 1903. He was a young officer when he went over, and I have some photos of his house in "KOTA RADJA" 1895 and also a very good photo of he and his 10 fellow officers in full uniform, taken in Atceh in 1897.

He contacted Maleria , and went back to the Netherlands, and served in Apeldoorn and Deventer until he retired in 1930, and also, as matter of interest, in Apeldoorn, there is a "Sumatrastraat" named after Indonesia, and also some lesser streets like the "Bandalaan" where he lived in number 11, (It is still there).

My Grandfather was a Major and finally sucumbed of the Malaria in 1936.

I have the photo's if anyone cares to see them. I don't know how to up-load them to you.

Also, my father told me my grandfather always had a very 'soft' spot in his heart for the people of Indonesia. He loved the country and the people, and my father believes he fathered a child while there. (not uncommon.)

I think that the Dutch really did want to help the people economically and in other ways. To the dutch, Muslims were just another religion, and they were very tolerent of them, taking into account their bravery, cleverness, and their own love for their homeland. I don't know if there are still many Dutch living in Indonesia or not? But I know when I was small I always heard about Indonesia...in many different perspectives.

What we need is peace among all peoples, no matter what religion or race. Thank you for allowing me to blog here.

+Quote Post
Apeldoornsejonge
post May 2 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #138

Group Icon

Hello,

I'd like to just say a few words about the Jews in Asian countries.

Yes there were many Jews who fought bitterly hard in many armies and for many different Countries, to name a few, Russia, Hooland, Germany, France, and many many more. All of the Jews I have ever known have taken great pride in the country in which they live...let's face it, Judaism is a Religion, Like Islam is to the Muslims. And strange eneough, Jews and Arabs are cousins...they are from the same Semetic stock!

There was a time when Jews and Muslims got along fine, and had great co-operation with each other, but the British helped to change that, turning one against the other, for financial gain! Lawrence of Arabia was himself anti semetic, (against both arabs and Jews, but did a dirty job for the British , to secure possible Oil, and the Suez Canal. The Brits , (governement), have always been "Control; Freaks" like the Americans. This is not to slight the ordinary citizen, but the Rich and Famous, Corporations, and The ones who wanted the power!

I know personally of a Jew who is married to a Muslim woman, and has been for 38 years, and they are very loving and respect each other.

It has always been thhe intent of the Catholic Church to assasinate the character and personality of Jews, starting rumopurs that were totally untrue, but followers HAD to believe them! (Spanish Inquisition)....but after thousnads of years, the Immortal Jew is still here, and still contributing to medince, engineering, and many other worthwhile causes, that benefit all mankind.

I really believe if the hate mongering stops, Jews and Muslims will get along fine, just as they did many years ago!.

+Quote Post
Apeldoornsejonge
post May 2 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #139

Group Icon

QUOTE(Apeldoornsejonge @ May 2 2009, 02:51 PM) [snapback]4216621[/snapback]
Hello,

I'd like to just say a few words about the Jews in Asian countries.

Yes there were many Jews who fought bitterly hard in many armies and for many different Countries, to name a few, Russia, Hooland, Germany, France, and many many more. All of the Jews I have ever known have taken great pride in the country in which they live...let's face it, Judaism is a Religion, Like Islam is to the Muslims. And strange eneough, Jews and Arabs are cousins...they are from the same Semetic stock!

There was a time when Jews and Muslims got along fine, and had great co-operation with each other, but the British helped to change that, turning one against the other, for financial gain! Lawrence of Arabia was himself anti semetic, (against both arabs and Jews, but did a dirty job for the British , to secure possible Oil, and the Suez Canal. The Brits , (governement), have always been "Control; Freaks" like the Americans. This is not to slight the ordinary citizen, but the Rich and Famous, Corporations, and The ones who wanted the power!

I know personally of a Jew who is married to a Muslim woman, and has been for 38 years, and they are very loving and respect each other.

It has always been thhe intent of the Catholic Church to assasinate the character and personality of Jews, starting rumopurs that were totally untrue, but followers HAD to believe them! (Spanish Inquisition)....but after thousnads of years, the Immortal Jew is still here, and still contributing to medince, engineering, and many other worthwhile causes, that benefit all mankind.

I really believe if the hate mongering stops, Jews and Muslims will get along fine, just as they did many years ago!.

+Quote Post
Apeldoornsejonge
post May 2 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #140

Group Icon

How does one upload photos to this site??? TX.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 08:26 AM