AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Malaysians and Filipinos, Are they related ?
malay_ako
post Feb 28 2004, 05:36 AM
Post #21

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Banned

TO ALL MALAYS (of Indonesia, Vietnam-Cham, Hainan-Ustal, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, South Pacific, etc):

There is only ONE MALAY ETHNICITY. Malays are just stron on different islands and established their own National "identities" such as "indonesian" or "Filipino" or "Malaysian"

Malay is a generic and speicifc term.

There is the general term refering to the general inhabitants of most all islands in the Pacific and Indian oceans such as "Madagascar" Malay, "Filipino" Malay, "Indonesian" Malay, "Brunei" Malay, etc

And there is the specific Malay term which refers to inhabitants of Malaysia. But in fact they are merely "Malaysian" Malays, meaning they are just representative of one country of the overall malay race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malay_people

It`s like With the Chinese on Taiwan. The Chinese of Taiwan are basically immigrants of the Han Chinese ethnciity but they also have this Nationalistic "Taiwanese" idenity which they are trying to use as means to seperate their reations with china.

I think the Malay ethnicity has a different view of kinship than other ethnicties. We are more culturally practicing kinship and brotherhood practices and finding relation with those related to us on other islands. And others such as Chinese and Taiwan and Cambodia and Thailand have been working so hard to seperate themselves from their own brothers and trying to think interal and practice isolationism ideologies. That is their way of living and i guess people who live that way often try to apply their lifestyles and norms on to others and think that everyone thinks the way they do. But its not like that with the Malay. Madagascar Malay look to Insular (Island) Asia for their brotherhood and origins because they acknowledge that they migrated from Insular Asia in ancient times and they also continued to preserve and share strong Cultural and Lingustic Austronesian similarities not only the same Ethnic Malay similarites with those of her brethern in Insular Asia.

So i think instead of merely saying your "Filipino", "Indonesian", or "Malaysian" and merely stating your NATIONAL idenity, you should also add your ethnic IDENITY SUCH AS "Filipino" MALAY and "Indonesian" MALAY and "Malaysian" MALAY because there is only ONE MALAY ETHNICITY. And all the MALAYS across the world practice the SAME AUSTRONESIAN CULTURE AND SPEAK THE SAME AUSTRONESIAN TONGUE.. Some are just mixed with a little bit of foreign influence be it Islam, Christianity, Hindu. etc.

I think the main thing that is hurting the Malay Ethnicity from establishing total unity is the whole religious beef. I mean after the Malays settled all these islands in the Pacific and Indian Oceans and ADOPTED different foreign religions and cultures ie: ISLAM for Indonesian/Malaysian/Brunei Malay, HINDU for Balinese Malay, CHRISTIANITY for Filipino Malay and etc. they started to forget some of the ties between us all. I think we Malays need to forget all the drama of religious bickering and acknowledge and concentrate on what we have that all Malays share regardless of what island your on or what foreign religions and cultures your island adopted. And those same things that link all MALAY together are:

1) OUR SAME MALAY ETHNICITY
2) OUR RELATED AUSTRONESIAN LANGUAGES
3) OUR SAME TRULY NATIVE AUSTRONESIAN CULTURE

These foreign adopted religions and introduced foreign cultures are merely iceing on the cake. It`s really insignficant. it shouldn`t break bonds of family. Thank god we Malay`s Austornesain culture is itself strong in the practices of Family, Extended Family, Brotherhood, Community, and FRIENDLINESS on its own, so it will be helpful in re-establishing our ties with one another even more despite these foreign religious and foreign adopted cultural differences that we adopted. We Malays will never forget our brotherhood with one another residingon different islands unless we CHOOSE to. And i choose NOT TO FORGET!!!!

WHITE PEOPEL/COLONIZERS ARE THE ONES WHO BROKE UP THE MALAY BROTHERHOOD, BEFORE THE WHITEMAN CAME IN THE 16TH CENTURY THERE WAS NO COUNTRIES OF "MALAYSIA" "INDONESIA" "PHILIPPINES" BEFORE THAT TIME THERE WAS ONLY THE MALAY ARCHIPELAGO AND THE MALAY PENISULA AND THE MALAY ETHNCIITY WAS SIALING FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND SHARING FROM ONE ANOTHER.

ONE WHITEMAN SAILED HIS BOAT TO THE ISLANDS AND SAID "THESE ISLANDS ARE MINE, AND I WILL CALL THEM "THE PHILIPPINES" AFTER MY KING PHILIP OF SPAIN AND THE PEOPLE WILL BE CALLED "FILIPINOS""

ANOTHER WHITE MAN SAILED HIS BOAT TO THE ISLANDS AND SAID "THESE ISLANDS ARE MINE, AND I WILL CALL THEM "INDONESIA" BECAUSE I THINK IM SOMEWHERE IN INDIA AND THE POEPLE WILL BE CALLED "INDONESIANS"

ANOTHER WHITEMAN SIALED HIS BOAT TO THE MALAY PENISNULA AND SAID "THIS REGION IS MINE, AND THE PEOPLE WILL BE CALLED MALAYSIANS. BECAUSE THE REGION IS INHABITAED BY THE MALAY ETHNICTY AND I WILL TAKE "SIA" FROM THE WORD "ASIA" AND COMBINE TO FORM THIS WORD "MALAYSIA"

---

Need "proof"/reference material?:

1) ON THE MALAY ETHNICITY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malay_people

2) ON THE AUSTRONESIAN LANGUAGES OF THE MALAY

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8908/firemo...stroframes.html

http://www.zompist.com/anes.htm

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian

3) ON THE AUSTRONESIAN CULTURE AND HISTORY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_aborigine

http://members.fortunecity.com/dikigoros/themalays.htm

And there is a wide variety of other resources available in Credible books, encyclopedias, internet websites, magazines, etc etc. Don`t underestimate the Malay`s accomplishments and Austronesian Culture just because our histories are not well documented in your everyday COMPULSORY k-12 GRADE SCHOOL history books. IM TALKING ABOUT IN-DEPTH COLLEGE RESEARCH... So dig deeper. Don’t just read the one paragraph of the Malay in your school history book. We deserve more than that in the school history books. We need to learn our true history. OUR SAME HISTORY as a Malay person with your native Austronesian culture and language!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
malay_ako
post Feb 28 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #22

AF Geek
Group Icon

LOOK:

This is the original language of the Austronesian language family which is the tongue of all Malay people: it only changed because we Malay brothers sailed to different islands and it changed only slightly when foreign people sail to a certain island and influence the original language, but you can still see the relation:

Proto-Austronesian:
one - isa
two - dusa
three- telu
four - sepat
five - lima
six - enem
seven - pitu
eight - walu
nine - Siwa
ten - sa-puluq

And here is a comparison between your language and mines, with other languages of our brothers

TAGALOG/MADAGASCAR/JAVANESE/MALAYSIAN/TAIWAN YAMI/EASTER ISLAND

one - isa/iráy/siji/satu/asa/tahi
two - dalawa/róa/loro/dua/dowa/rua
three - tatlo/télo/telu/tiga/teylo/toru
four - apat/éfatra/papat/empat/apat/ha
five - lima/dímy/lima/lima/lima/rima
six - anim/énina/nem/enam/anem/ono
seven - pito/fíto/pitu/tujuh/pito/hita
eight - walo/válo/wolu/delapan/wawo/vau
nine - siyam/sívy/sanga/sembilan/siam/iva
ten - sampu/fólo/sepuluh/sepuluh/poh/angahuru

so you see, i can learn your language which is Malaysian very easily and you can learn my language Tagalog, very easily. Even though we are on different islands that are far away, our Malay ancestors still managed to preserve our speech and native Austronesian culture. Again only when foreigners came to our islands did we begin to destroy our bonds. i think we should UNIFY our Malay brotherhood and remember that we are BROTHERS which fits in with this forum as you say Asians need to unite...why don’t we start by uniting the Malay Ethnicity? It takes small steps before you can unify a whole RACE of people.

+Quote Post
Cherry Blossom
post Mar 7 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #23

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

Thanks for the info!

+Quote Post
huaren
post Mar 7 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #24

AF Pro
Group Icon

gweilo, the picture you posted is described in Malay not Malaysian. Malaysian include of Chinese. Where most chinese I seen in Malaysia are alot more white.

+Quote Post
junior high_rhap...
post Mar 8 2004, 03:01 AM
Post #25

AF Geek
Group Icon

gweilo, the picture you posted is described in Malay not Malaysian.

Yeah, I agree with huaren. The picture merely represents one race only, which is Malay, and Malays do not complete the ideal Malaysian picture, though I admit the Malay race is the majority in Malaysia.

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Mar 8 2004, 05:12 AM
Post #26

AF Supreme
Group Icon

delete

This post has been edited by dalawapo: Jul 6 2005, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post
huaren
post Mar 8 2004, 05:49 AM
Post #27

AF Pro
Group Icon

Here is a few picture of chinese in Malaysia,

Some mixture of chinese, malay and other.

+Quote Post
azn_pyde_viet
post Mar 12 2004, 02:33 AM
Post #28

AF Geek
Group Icon

[quote=dalawapo,Mar 8 2004, 06:12 AM] [QUOTE=Ek-ek,Dec 11 2003, 10:26 PM] [QUOTE=gweilo,Nov 24 2003, 10:46 AM]
Filipinos [/QUOTE]
these pictures gwielio posted are NEGRITOS. NOt Filipino Malays.

Look at the link of it "quezonmission/ "aeta2" .jpg"

Aeta's is one of the negrito tribes of the philippines.

the second oen is also Negritos taken from an article when mt pinatobo erupted and the negritos had to exscape and go down to the low lands where is where the Filipino Malay live.

"Philippines/pinatubo/pinat17.jpg"

In anycase Malaysia has their own Negritos they call them "ORANG ASLI" & they look just like the Negrito of the Philippines because they are the same race only during anicent times they split up and now are found on other islands. just like the Malay Ethnicity did after the negrito except the malay ethnicty sefared and the negrito crossed pre-existing landbridges.

Orang Asli - The original people
Before the Malays arrived, probably around two thousand years ago, the Malay Peninsula was peopled by nomadic hunters and gatherers and other tribes that practised slash- and burn agriculture.
The oldest group are the Semang, also called Negritos because of their look - muscular, small of stature with dark skin and curly hair - who until recently, lived a nomadic life deep in the northern rainforest. Today a total of about 2000 people (maybe less, because this figure has not been checked and changed for a century) live in the highlands of Kelantan, Terengganu and the northern regions of Perak, Kedah, and Pahang.

The biggest group of the orang asli people form the Senoi, numbering around 40,000. Physically they are quite different from the Semang, they are slightly taller with paler skin and wavy hair. Even their lifestyles were dissimilar as the Senoi were adept at swidden agriculture (shifting cultivation) as well as fishing, trapping, hunting and gathering rainforest products. Their blowpipe skills are legendary.
These days the Senoi also cultivate rubber, fruit crops and cocoa and many have entered mainstream Malaysian life.

Differentiated by their Malay dialects, the Orang Asli of Melaka, Negeri Sembilan and southern Johor are also known as Proto-Malays and probably have the same distant ancestral roots as the Malays.

Smaller groups like the Orang Kanak from Johor's west coast which numer only 40 and the more numerous Orang Seletar from the Straits of Johre, are the descendants of the Orang Laut, the 'sea people' who constituted the original navy of the Melakan sultanate and played a pivotal role in the regions's history.

Of all the Peninsular people, the Orang Asli are the most affected by the march of progress. Although many still live on the fringe of the forest and remain adept at hunting and gathering, the young people are becoming educated and are looking the outside world with its wider choice of employment and opportunity.

Beliefs and tradition

But even if they live nowadays a modern lifestyle, their culture with beliefs and tradition still lives on in them or is adapted by other cultural groups.
The Orang Asli and the Malays believe in Animism: Everything contains its own spirit (semangat = 'the soul', 'the spirit of life'). Inhabiting rocks, trees, rivers, lakes, buildings etc. these spirits had to be appeased as it is believed that they had power over all natural forces.
Many Malay beliefs originate from early pre-Islamic times. Although not so widespread now, practices and processions thought to bring good fortune are still practised, such as rename an ill child to change its luck or saying prayers, including Koran verses, by invoking Allah and end with the name of Muhammad, the Holy Prophet. To do so is to ensure that God will help.
The Orang Asli are mainly Non-Muslim, but the Malays practise animism with the influence of their religion, the Islam. This shows that traditions, culture and religions influence each other and get mixed sometimes. [/quote]
flips = negritos = malays. no?

+Quote Post
NewKampujea
post Mar 17 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #29

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ek-ek @ Dec 11 2003, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (gweilo @ Nov 24 2003, 10:46 AM)

Filipinos

Malaysians

The Philippines is a multi-cultural country ,So you could find all these people that gweilo had posted above!

Malaysian,Fillipino,Java,Kampuchea they look too similia. They have to be related for somehow.

+Quote Post
Menikani
post Mar 17 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #30

AF Pro
Group Icon

malaysians and filipinos are from the same origin. They are Malays. I don't think Kampucheas have the same origin as the Malays, since the Mon-Khmer entered into southeast asia from Northeast India/Southwest China.

+Quote Post
HoTaZnDuDe
post Mar 25 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #31

AF Fan
Group Icon

I'm filipino but i don't look like those confused.gif

Um uh er... oh yeah, we are multicultural. embarassedlaugh.gif

cool30.gif

+Quote Post
Ek-ek
post Apr 9 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #32

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (huaren @ Mar 8 2004, 07:49 PM)

embarassedlaugh.gif There is also a lot of Chinese in the Philippines!

In fact , a lot of Chinese mixbreed became top leaders of the country!

Former Philippine presidents like:
Corazon Cojuangco Aquino ,Emilio Aguinaldo y Fami, Ferdinand Edralin Marcos had Chinese ancestry.

Jose Protacio Mercado Rizal y Alonzo Realonda our National Hero
Great Grandfather Christian name Domingo Lamco was a Fujian immigrant to the Philippines.

Jaime Cardinal Sin , Manila's Archibishop from 1974-2003 was part Chinese.

Miriam R. Quiambao, Miss Universe 1999 first runner -up was also part Chinese.
Carlene Ang Aguilar , Miss Chinese International 2004 second runner-up was half Chinese

Add that to the longer list of several more Filipino- Chinese origin.

+Quote Post
I_YaH
post Apr 9 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #33

AF Pro
Group Icon

yep they are related ! and it's seen in some of the Filipino culture (dialects, costumes,foods etc..)

+Quote Post
BishoujoHunter
post Apr 10 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #34

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Validating

QUOTE (Ek-ek @ Apr 9 2004, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (huaren @ Mar 8 2004, 07:49 PM)

embarassedlaugh.gif There is also a lot of Chinese in the Philippines!

In fact , a lot of Chinese mixbreed became top leaders of the country!

Former Philippine presidents like:
Corazon Cojuangco Aquino ,Emilio Aguinaldo y Fami, Ferdinand Edralin Marcos had Chinese ancestry.

Jose Protacio Mercado Rizal y Alonzo Realonda our National Hero
Great Grandfather Christian name Domingo Lamco was a Fujian immigrant to the Philippines.

Jaime Cardinal Sin , Manila's Archibishop from 1974-2003 was part Chinese.

Miriam R. Quiambao, Miss Universe 1999 first runner -up was also part Chinese.
Carlene Ang Aguilar , Miss Chinese International 2004 second runner-up was half Chinese

Add that to the longer list of several more Filipino- Chinese origin.

Jose Rizal also has proto austronesian blood

+Quote Post
Bringer_Of_Death
post May 2 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #35

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (*bUmbleB* @ Jan 18 2004, 01:35 AM)
that pic of a malaysian iZ not veri accurate , well, @ least, I'm malaysian & I dun look lyk that @ all... I guess u gotta b more specific cuZ there'Z malayZ who were originalli from there so they'll look more lyk that pic... then there'Z the malaysianZ who'Z ancestorZ came from china- basicalli, they look more chinese than malayZ

I agree with you.

That picture is only one part of the whole to discribe malaysians.

+Quote Post
Bringer_Of_Death
post May 2 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #36

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (huaren @ Mar 7 2004, 02:19 PM)
gweilo, the picture you posted is described in Malay not Malaysian. Malaysian include of Chinese. Where most chinese I seen in Malaysia are alot more white.

I'll second to that..

Although some chinese appear to be whiter than others but that is the different types of chinese we have here in Malaysia.

There is Hokkien chinese, Teochiew Chinese, Cantonese Chinese and Hakka Chinese.

+Quote Post
malaccan
post May 11 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #37

AF Guru
Group Icon

Hello folks, I'm new here so be gentle ok! icon_wink.gif
I'm also from Malaysia, and from experience I find that many Filipinos look quite similar to Malaysians, which cuts across all races. I've been mistaken for a Filipino several times in fact and likewise, I'd recently mistaken a group of Filipino visitors in KL as locals!

+Quote Post
ejay1
post May 12 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #38

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (malaccan @ May 11 2004, 08:26 PM)
Hello folks, I'm new here so be gentle ok! icon_wink.gif
I'm also from Malaysia, and from experience I find that many Filipinos look quite similar to Malaysians, which cuts across all races. I've been mistaken for a Filipino several times in fact and likewise, I'd recently mistaken a group of Filipino visitors in KL as locals!

How could you mistake filipinos for malaysian, when we(filipinos) aren't even asian.
I believe you have more in common with Indonesia,Singapore,and Cambodia then you do with the Philippines. icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post May 12 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #39

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (ejay1 @ May 12 2004, 09:14 AM)
Hello folks, I'm new here so be gentle ok!  icon_wink.gif

How could you mistake filipinos for malaysian, when we(filipinos) aren't even asian.
I believe you have more in common with Indonesia,Singapore,and Cambodia then you do with the Philippines. icon_wink.gif

ejay1 is ignorant malaccan. don't pay attention to him. he does not know history but he talks wiht a big mouth.

This post has been edited by dalawapo: May 12 2004, 01:11 PM

+Quote Post
ejay1
post May 12 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #40

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (dalawapo @ May 12 2004, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (ejay1 @ May 12 2004, 09:14 AM)
Hello folks, I'm new here so be gentle ok!  icon_wink.gif

ejay1 is ignorant malaccan. don't pay attention to him. he does not know history but he talks wiht a big mouth.

Im not ignorant, it is you who is ignorant. You attack other peoples comments if it doesn't fit in your perfect Malay World. You attack the filipino culture as if we are nothing but an anonymous malays.

This post has been edited by ejay1: May 12 2004, 01:15 PM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 03:16 AM