AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Demand for Spanish-speakers growing in Philippines, For accountants, engineers, architects, nurses, etc.
LazyAzian
post Nov 20 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #1

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

MANILA, Philippines—There is a growing demand for bilingual Spanish and English speakers from call center and business process outsourcing (BPO) sectors in the country, the Spanish Chamber of Commerce in the Philippines said Wednesday.

At the trade fair of the Joint Foreign Chambers, Emmanuel Gamboa, executive director of the Spanish chamber here, said companies like Intra Soluciones and accenture "have too many Spanish clients they do not know what to do with."

The Instituto De Cervantes, the Spanish cultural center in Manila, is constantly being requested to provide translators not just for call center jobs, but for translation of transcript of records, and medical and legal documents, said institute director Jose Rodriguez.

"Almost every day...we receive a request in writing for professionals (in the medical, engineering, and information technology sectors) who are bilingual (in Spanish and English)," he said.

Rodriguez said the demand is persistent enough to prompt the institute to create a special syllabus for the call centers and BPOs.

He said the demand has been growing, proof from the institute's end is that around 7,000 students are enrolled in its Spanish language classes for school year, 2007-2008.

Aside from Spain, Rodriguez pointed out that the US is also a market for Spanish-speaking call center agents.

Right now, he said, there are 45 million to 50 million Spanish speakers in the US, more than the 40 million population of Spain. He said it is foreseen that the US would be bilingual by 2015.

"The reality is there is a big market for Spanish speakers," he said.

Rodriguez said Portuguese-speaking Brazil has also shifted to Spanish, requiring 200,000 Spanish teachers.

"Brazil is another dimension altogether," he said.

"So learn Spanish or be left out," he added.

Jose Primo Santos, commercial and economic analyst at the Spanish embassy, said call centers and BPOs are likely to experience a boost with the global financial crisis as companies try to reduce overall cost without sacrificing efficiency.

Santos and Gamboa said that aside from call center agents, "talented" Filipino accountants, engineers, and other professionals will have a better chance at finding jobs in BPOs and consulting companies serving Spanish-speaking clients.

Recently, Gamboa said the Spanish Banco Santander acquired three banks from the US and the United Kingdom. This, he said, would require people who are fluent in both English and Spanish.

"The infrastructure (of the acquired banks) are in English and would need translation into the Spanish platform...Between the Philippines and India, which have created the infrastructure for call centers and BPOs, who do you think would (Banco Santander) prefer?" Gamboa said.

Gamboa pointed out the close cultural and historical links between the Philippines and Spain, and the many Spanish words in the Filipino language, "especially in Zamboanga where Chabacano is spoken."

IMO, the only way we can beat India in the BPO sector is if the thousands of Spanish call centers, companies, corporations and industries are finally able to hire Spanish and English speaking Filipinos in Philippines.

A Spanish-speaking Filipinos get's hired easily by BPO call centers. Only 30% of English speaking Filipinos get hired by BPO's while almost 90% of Spanish-speaking Filipinos are generally accepted.

This post has been edited by LazyAzian: Nov 20 2008, 04:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
orient
post Nov 20 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

I wonder if there are call centers in Zamboanga.

+Quote Post
silangan
post Nov 20 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(orient @ Nov 20 2008, 06:03 PM) [snapback]4016300[/snapback]
I wonder if there are call centers in Zamboanga.

Chabacano is more related to Cebuano than to Spanish. A pure Chabacano can understand Cebuano but never Spanish.

+Quote Post
silangan
post Nov 20 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

Are they talking about money? I think we can earn more money if we learn Mandarin. Our biggest business partners are China, U.S., HongKong, Japan, Singapore. We can add Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea, etc. Most countries that we're dealing with understand the chinese "alphabet". I don't think we need to learn Spanish. It's just a burden.

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post Nov 20 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE(silangan @ Nov 20 2008, 06:24 PM) [snapback]4016392[/snapback]
Chabacano is more related to Cebuano than to Spanish. A pure Chabacano can understand Cebuano but never Spanish.

Really?

Why does my Chavacana gf understands spanish movies and tv shows?

This post has been edited by martin_nuke: Nov 20 2008, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
VanityKills
post Nov 21 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

i tried reading the chavacano version of the bible... it was kinda weird but it was fun! eehee

+Quote Post
silangan
post Nov 24 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE(martin_nuke @ Nov 20 2008, 09:06 PM) [snapback]4016536[/snapback]
Really?

Why does my Chavacana gf understands spanish movies and tv shows?

I don't know. Perhaps your girl might have been exposed to spanish speaking people. I have relatives in Zambo and Basilan. They say "alya kanamon...." in tagalog "sa amin". " hinde yo ta puede combersa pero ta intende yo".... in tagalog " hindi ako nakapagsasalita pero nakakaintindi ako". In English it would be like ....No me speak but understand me....The words in a sentence are constructed just like pinoy language. In Cebuano it would be " Dili ko kabalo moistorya pero kasabot ko".

+Quote Post
Piso
post Nov 24 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #8

AF Addict
Group Icon

i know some spansih forumer here, said he understood chabakano except he said it was like baby talk

+Quote Post
VanityKills
post Nov 25 2008, 06:48 AM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

LOL my mom and aunt are good spanish speakers!

they said back in their days as students... learning spanish is compulsory!

+Quote Post
angel08
post Jan 15 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

io un nativo de zamboanga.. ta intende palabra de espanyol pokito y ta puede le tambien - im a ntive of zamboanga n cud understand n read spanish a little.. if it is in bisaya it wud not be like dat... chavacano is closer wit spanish n not bisaya.. hello is quetal same in spanish in bisaya it is kamusta, right? chavacano is broken spanish...

+Quote Post
benteunerz36
post Jan 16 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #11

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (angel08 @ Jan 15 2011, 10:25 PM) *
io un nativo de zamboanga.. ta intende palabra de espanyol pokito y ta puede le tambien - im a ntive of zamboanga n cud understand n read spanish a little.. if it is in bisaya it wud not be like dat... chavacano is closer wit spanish n not bisaya.. hello is quetal same in spanish in bisaya it is kamusta, right? chavacano is broken spanish...

lol, even the spelling is spanish-base. Father actually went to Spanish lessons. He can understand some spanish terms.

+Quote Post
silangan
post Jan 16 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (angel08 @ Jan 15 2011, 10:25 AM) *

Maybe you can understand some Spanish words, but surely you can't communicate in Spanish. ......but you can SPEAK Cebuano right?

+Quote Post
guruwise
post Jan 17 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #13

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (silangan @ Jan 16 2011, 07:58 PM) *
Maybe you can understand some Spanish words, but surely you can't communicate in Spanish. ......but you can SPEAK Cebuano right?

Had a conversation with a filipino outside edzen moneychanger ermita who was not Chavacano but interacted with them in his province. It must have rubbed off very well with him as we spoke for maybe 15 mins. He understood Spanish 100%. Yes I spoke slowly and clearly but no problem. His Chavacano was simple tarzan Spanish with no verbs. Easy to understand.
For the resord both Kumusta( Como estas?)and Ketal ( ?Que Tal?) hail from Spain. Both mean Hi how are ya? Then again, in Ermita and moreso Sta cruz the rest of the people one tends to meet on the street hussling something speak very simple English. Not tarzan English but somehting a few steps up. Both English and Spanish if properly learned are helpful for the PI.
The call center business is booming and Filipinos have a great advantage in Spanish as it can easily be learned. Small investment in time for a good pay off. Just imagine a hard to pronounce language like Mandarin! Impossible for most Filipinos in 100 years. Chinese also do not look on the filipino with any respect at all and I dont think they would like to have them calling their homes or assisting them with a credit card problem. Spaniards and Americans or Australians have a neutral stance toward filipinos so they are a better prospect business wise. Americans and Australians tend to get pissed when an Indian from bangalore calls and pretends to be from Sydney!!! Pronounciation is of utmost imprtance in the call center business.

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post Jan 17 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #14

AF Elite
Group Icon

In Spain if you are a Filipino you can even be a Spanish citizen within 2 years which they do not offer to other countries.

This post has been edited by martin_nuke: Jan 17 2011, 09:01 PM

+Quote Post
pinkcreamreturns
post Jan 17 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #15

AF Fiend
Group Icon

lol at this. of course chavacanos can understand cebuano over spanish. 99.9% of people in mindanao probably speak bisaya

This post has been edited by pinkcreamreturns: Jan 17 2011, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
silangan
post Jan 17 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (guruwise @ Jan 17 2011, 04:20 PM) *
Had a conversation with a filipino outside edzen moneychanger ermita who was not Chavacano but interacted with them in his province. It must have rubbed off very well with him as we spoke for maybe 15 mins. He understood Spanish 100%. Yes I spoke slowly and clearly but no problem. His Chavacano was simple tarzan Spanish with no verbs. Easy to understand.
For the resord both Kumusta( Como estas?)and Ketal ( ?Que Tal?) hail from Spain. Both mean Hi how are ya? Then again, in Ermita and moreso Sta cruz the rest of the people one tends to meet on the street hussling something speak very simple English. Not tarzan English but somehting a few steps up. Both English and Spanish if properly learned are helpful for the PI.
The call center business is booming and Filipinos have a great advantage in Spanish as it can easily be learned. Small investment in time for a good pay off. Just imagine a hard to pronounce language like Mandarin! Impossible for most Filipinos in 100 years. Chinese also do not look on the filipino with any respect at all and I dont think they would like to have them calling their homes or assisting them with a credit card problem. Spaniards and Americans or Australians have a neutral stance toward filipinos so they are a better prospect business wise. Americans and Australians tend to get pissed when an Indian from bangalore calls and pretends to be from Sydney!!! Pronounciation is of utmost imprtance in the call center business.

Philippines should not be relying on call centers. Investing too much on it may be disastrous. It may not be around in the near future.
And for Filipinos learning additional foreign languages for employment purposes?.....well I'm not in favor of that. We will forever be servants if that's the case.
If any foreign language should be taught to Filipinos? It should be Amoy/Hokkien....and that's to honor the ancestors of a great number of Filipinos...not for employment purpose.

Spanish is not important. What for? Employment? I pay Mexicans/Guatemalans to do some heavy stuff on my properties on certain occasions. They line along streets daily waiting for someone to pick them up. I give them free lunch and pay them extra. So pitiful they have families to send money to.

+Quote Post
silangan
post Jan 17 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Jan 17 2011, 09:59 PM) *
In Spain if you are a Filipino you can even be a Spanish citizen within 2 years which they do not offer to other countries.

Trying to make up for the women they raped and secretly murdered for getting pregnant?

+Quote Post
Tecolote
post Jan 18 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #18

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (angel08 @ Jan 15 2011, 06:25 AM) *

For someone who can understand Spanish fluently, those words from Zamboanga are not very clear. The proper translation would be "soy un nativo de Zamboanga y puedo entender y leer un poco de español. "Quetal" in Spanish would be "¡Qué tal!" and "kamusta" would be "¿Cómo está?" or "¿Cómo estás?" in an inpersonal way.

This post has been edited by Tecolote: Jan 18 2011, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
Tecolote
post Jan 18 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #19

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (silangan @ Jan 17 2011, 07:33 PM) *
Philippines should not be relying on call centers. Investing too much on it may be disastrous. It may not be around in the near future.
And for Filipinos learning additional foreign languages for employment purposes?.....well I'm not in favor of that. We will forever be servants if that's the case.
If any foreign language should be taught to Filipinos? It should be Amoy/Hokkien....and that's to honor the ancestors of a great number of Filipinos...not for employment purpose.

Spanish is not important. What for? Employment? I pay Mexicans/Guatemalans to do some heavy stuff on my properties on certain occasions. They line along streets daily waiting for someone to pick them up. I give them free lunch and pay them extra. So pitiful they have families to send money to.

You're refering to illegal people from Latin America. In reality Spanish is the second most spoken language in the U.S. and it's influence is growing. In Brazil it is becoming the second language because if they want to solidify their presence in South America they need to learn castellano. I like it when -to the chagrin of the right wingers- people always have a choice for two languages in most of the phone instructions. And appliances and most of the goods that are purchased in the U.S. have instructions written in both English and Spanish. So as you can see, Spanish is a very important language.

+Quote Post
filipinoy
post Jan 19 2011, 09:51 AM
Post #20

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tecolote @ Jan 18 2011, 11:05 AM) *
For someone who can understand Spanish fluently, those words from Zamboanga are not very clear. The proper translation would be "soy un nativo de Zamboanga y puedo entender y leer un poco de español. "Quetal" in Spanish would be "¡Qué tal!" and "kamusta" would be "¿Cómo está?" or "¿Cómo estás?" in an inpersonal way.

I can tell 'tecolote' is a word from the Mexican Nahua language... im curious what it means

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:09 AM