AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The difference between a CSU and a UC, Any input?
Pluto1120
post Apr 9 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members

Hey folks,

I currently go to CSU San Bernardino. Believe it or not its mostly Hispanics here. I was wondering what the UC system was like. The cloest UC to San Bernardino is UC Riverside.

I know that the requirment for a CSU is a 2.0 GPA while the requirement for a UC is a 3.0. The tuition at UC's are 3x more expensive than the tuition at a CSu, so the the people at the UC's are more academically wiser, and generally are more financially wealthier.

As far as culture is concerned, Im assuming the UC system is more prestigous, as the people whom go there are obviously smarter in grades, and come from financially well to do prominent families. But what else is there in the differences. Im yearning to go to UC Irvine or USC for my masters, but I only have a 2.5 GPA haha, so ill be stuck at CSU San Bernardino for the MBA program.

This post has been edited by Pluto1120: Apr 9 2009, 06:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Goombaking209
post Apr 9 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

wha? I thought the difference was more research based, while the other is more career orientated.

+Quote Post
Awol213
post Apr 18 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #3

AF Geek
Group Icon

if u apply for a job would the person take a guy from csun or ucla

+Quote Post
makemoneyonline1...
post Apr 21 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

-GOOD!

+Quote Post
makemoneyonline1...
post Apr 21 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(makemoneyonline1983 @ Apr 21 2009, 11:26 AM) [snapback]4204421[/snapback]
-GOOD!

good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
InitialDJay
post Apr 30 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #6

AF Elite
Group Icon

one is private, other is public.

+Quote Post
Suijen
post May 3 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #7

AF Legend
Group Icon

^ No, they're both public.

UCs tend to carry more prestige than the CSUs...but it depends on the major of course. They're just different public university systems.

+Quote Post
InitialDJay
post May 5 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #8

AF Elite
Group Icon

^my mistake, i was mistaking with CS and US... you're right!

+Quote Post
Suijen
post May 6 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #9

AF Legend
Group Icon

Maybe's got a sparkling @$$ GRE score.

+Quote Post
SilverSyphon
post May 6 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

At CSU San Bernardino all you need is a 2.5 gpa to get into the MBA program!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
mikekk86
post Jun 20 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #11

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pluto1120 @ Apr 9 2009, 05:15 AM) *
Hey folks,

I currently go to CSU San Bernardino. Believe it or not its mostly Hispanics here. I was wondering what the UC system was like. The cloest UC to San Bernardino is UC Riverside.

I know that the requirment for a CSU is a 2.0 GPA while the requirement for a UC is a 3.0. The tuition at UC's are 3x more expensive than the tuition at a CSu, so the the people at the UC's are more academically wiser, and generally are more financially wealthier.

As far as culture is concerned, Im assuming the UC system is more prestigous, as the people whom go there are obviously smarter in grades, and come from financially well to do prominent families. But what else is there in the differences. Im yearning to go to UC Irvine or USC for my masters, but I only have a 2.5 GPA haha, so ill be stuck at CSU San Bernardino for the MBA program.

LOL, don't go to UC Riverside. I've heard so many bad things about it. I also hear it's not on par to the UC standard. It all has to do with your major and the professors who teach there. UC's tend to be good, don't get me wrong. They certainly have more money. But in my honest opinion, CSU is awesome. It's well balanced. Professors who teach at CSU school also tend to teach at UC's too. Even the students---you get the smart kids and the above average kids=socially healthy. UC schools tend to be cut throat, geeky and elitist. And yes, it costs way less to go to CSU schools. You'll get the education you want.

Research the schools. One of those "don't judge a book by it's cover" things.

+Quote Post
kfighter
post Jun 24 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #12

AF Fiend
Group Icon

I go to UCI and it's nothing great. Cute asian chicks but nothing else is good about that place.

+Quote Post
TINMAN
post Jun 24 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (kfighter @ Jun 24 2009, 04:30 PM) *
I go to UCI and it's nothing great. Cute asian chicks but nothing else is good about that place.

That's because it's the University of Chinese Immigrants.

+Quote Post
asianbest
post Jun 25 2009, 02:49 AM
Post #14

AF Fan
Group Icon

"
"
UCI sucks

+Quote Post
ChomNom
post Jun 25 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

The UC system is more prestigious then then CSU system.
The UC system does as a group have more Asians.
Most of the UC's are at least 40% Asian.
The lowest having about 20%, I think that would be UCSB and UCSC, and probably UCM too.
They are both public institutions though, CSU and UC that is.
USC is private.
UC Riverside is also heavily Hispanic, although in the 2006-2007 year about 24% of the student body at UCR was hispanic and about 42% Asian.
During the same time, CSU San Bernadino was about 8% Asian and 35% Hispanic.
Bring up your grades and Transfer.
USC will be even more expensive, but might be worth it in name recognition. It is about 20% Asian.

+Quote Post
kpham001
post Jun 26 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pluto1120 @ Apr 9 2009, 02:15 AM) *
Hey folks,

People that attended UC isn't that much wealthier. I finance my UC education through mostly Grants and Loan. My parent only front up to 5 thousands a year max. I just graduated this year and I owe a total of 22 thousands dollars for a total of 5 years due to the fact that I took on a minor. It really depend on your income level. If you are from a lower income household, you might qualify for more Federal Pell Grant aids on top of your cal grant. There is also a Regent Grants here at UCRiverside. From what I know, the incoming class of 2013 will no longer get the cal grant because the state have no money left for it. There will also be an increase in fee because the state of California is no longer subsidizing as much anymore. They are going to cut the admission down quite a bit so if you are getting in, count yourself lucky.

From all the post about UC Riverside, it isn't a bad school that people have been talking about. I am not saying that it is a great school either. As an alumni, I would say that the administration here really suck. For example, academic advisers are sometime very rude. The professors there are pretty awesome. Some of them are at the forefront of their research in their particular field of study. One reasons that I chose to attend UCR was the fact that it was the only school that offer me the best financial aid package. More free money for me!

Wish everyone best of luck!

+Quote Post
geek4life
post Jul 1 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

Chapman University, ftw

+Quote Post
MakeAChange
post Sep 18 2009, 06:22 AM
Post #18

AF Geek
Group Icon

CSU's suck @$$. I attended CSU San Bernardino and graduated with a BA in Finance. Believe it or not, its was mostly Hispanics in all of my finance classes. I felt like I was back in high school again. The only Asian in a classroom full of Mexicans. The Hispanics here at CSU San Bernardino are an intriguing bunch...they are all WHITEWASHED!!!!!!!!! IM SERIOUS!!! 9 out of 10 of them are all white washed. It was hard to make friends with any of them, because being that they were all white washed, they all saw whites as "superior". I didnt even bother with them and just made friends with a few of the blacks there, they were so cool.

I screwed around too much at my community college, and it was sooo freakin easy too. If I wouldve spent some decent time studying, I wouldve had a good GPA to transfer to a UC such as: UCLA, UCI, or at least USC, but instead my dum 2.2 GPA @$$ got stuck going to CSUSB.

This post has been edited by MakeAChange: Sep 18 2009, 06:46 AM

+Quote Post
pengie
post Sep 18 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

Honestly it all depends on your program. As Suijen says UC does carry a bit more prestige but it means nothing if that particular UC doesn't specialize in the program you are interested in.

When I was college hunting way back when, I looked up which college had the best program for my major. Secondly I looked at the location because honestly I will not go to a school I won't like. It would hinder my ability to concentrate as well as my overall well being. Price is going to be the same problem for most students as you will live on loans unless your parents are paying cash. So if you are going to school for the long run, that is if you are going to be serious and finish and have a career that you can live on and pay your loans don't worry so much about the cost.

If you can't get into a UC right away you can always do a two year transfer with a AA with the right scores that is icon_smile.gif .... that is my thoughts.

+Quote Post
Manders
post Sep 18 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #20

AF Geek
Group Icon

UCs are obviously better.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >