AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is your middle name/ last name Filipino, Spanish, or other?
dreiiftw2
post May 26 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #1

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

Every Filipino I had met here and there or someone I know of has either Filipino or Spanish last name (family name). Sometimes I would ask myself what if our last names weren't changed? What would then be the most common last name among Filipinos? Would there be a much greater pride since we have our own identity?
Filipino last names are very distinctive, it is easy to tell whether an individual is Filipino. One experiment I made not too long ago was to look for Filipinos on a school yearbook from other schools (not my school) by only looking at the last name and not the picture. It wasn't surprising that I spotted all of them. The ones with non-Filipino last names were left out until I looked at their picture and they looked Filipino. I am aware of the similarities in looks between ethnicities so I took that into consideration.

Both of my middle/last name are Filipino. middle name is Filipino. last name is Chinese.
my middle name: LAYA (yes i am related to Juan C. Laya (novelist) and Jaime C. Laya (governor of Central Bank of the Philippines 1981-1984))
my last name: SISON (you might think of JoMa Sison the communist leader but no i'm not related to him)

My great great grandfather [on my mother's side] was Spanish with the last name of Atmosfera. But that name ceased to exist in my generation cause it's a female [my grandmother] who is directly linked to that name. Only my uncles carry it as their middle name and my mom and my aunt as their maiden name.

This post has been edited by dreiiftw2: May 28 2009, 06:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taybenco
post May 26 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #2

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (dreiiftw2 @ May 26 2009, 06:33 PM) *
my last name: SISON (you might think of JoMa Sison the communist leader but no i'm not related to him)

BUT BUT IN THE PHILIPPINES EVERYBODY IS RELATED ( icon_smile.gif Sorry, couldn't refrain from that, that's an impression i frequently have...

Spanish, starting with an E up from Ilocos and Nueva Ecija. And Spanish with M, from the Visayas... Probably from the Claveria Edict. Or my Chinese Mestizo ancestors made it up themselves. Before that, there's evidence of Ilocano Surnames.

This post has been edited by taybenco: May 26 2009, 11:54 AM

+Quote Post
philfighter
post May 26 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #3

AF Addict
Group Icon

I think Sison has a Chinese background to it. Usually family names ending with -son has a Chinese background (Tuason, Siason, Lacson).

How would you know if it's Visayan, Tagalog, Kapampangan or Ilokano?

+Quote Post
*promo
post May 26 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #4

AF Guru
Group Icon

muslim, but modernized, doh!

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post May 26 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

I think names like Sison, Lacson, Locsin, Jocson, Dizon, Hizon, etc... are Chinese names.

I think Lontoc, Duavit and Bagatsing are Indianized names.

This post has been edited by martin_nuke: May 28 2009, 08:17 PM

+Quote Post
lechatelier
post May 26 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #6

AF Fan
Group Icon

Mine's Filipino, specifically Visayan

+Quote Post
philfighter
post May 28 2009, 05:38 AM
Post #7

AF Addict
Group Icon

Everything Spanish, down to my Father and Mother's middle names, and as far as I can know, except for one Chinese name.

+Quote Post
dreiiftw2
post May 28 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #8

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (taybenco @ May 26 2009, 11:40 AM) *
BUT BUT IN THE PHILIPPINES EVERYBODY IS RELATED ( icon_smile.gif Sorry, couldn't refrain from that, that's an impression i frequently have...

haha there are possibilities we never know.

QUOTE (philfighter @ May 26 2009, 07:35 PM) *
I think Sison has a Chinese background to it. Usually family names ending with -son has a Chinese background (Tuason, Siason, Lacson).

How would you know if it's Visayan, Tagalog, Kapampangan or Ilokano?

yup it's chinese indeed. i have always suspected my last name having a Chinese background. Sison (si=fourth sun=grandson) means "fourth grandson" in Chinese.
by looking at the root word of the last name that corresponds with the language. check this out List of Filipino/Chinese-Filipino last names

QUOTE (martin_nuke @ May 26 2009, 09:52 PM) *
I think names like Sison, Lacson, Locsin, Jocson, Dizon, Hizon, etc... are Chinese names.

I think Lontoc, Bagatsing are Indianized names.

yes they are. so my last name is Chinese after all.

+Quote Post
flipcombatmedic
post May 28 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #9

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Mine is Korean

+Quote Post
silangan
post May 28 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (dreiiftw2 @ May 26 2009, 12:33 PM) *
Every Filipino I had met here and there or someone I know of has either Filipino or Spanish last name (family name). Sometimes I would ask myself what if our last names weren't changed? What would then be the most common last name among Filipinos? Would there be a much greater pride since we have our own identity?
Filipino last names are very distinctive, it is easy to tell whether an individual is Filipino. One experiment I made not too long ago was to look for Filipinos on a school yearbook from other schools (not my school) by only looking at the last name and not the picture. It wasn't surprising that I spotted all of them. The ones with non-Filipino last names were left out until I looked at their picture and they looked Filipino. I am aware of the similarities in looks between ethnicities so I took that into consideration.

Both of my middle/last name are Filipino. middle name is Filipino. last name is Chinese.
my middle name: LAYA (yes i am related to Juan C. Laya (novelist) and Jaime C. Laya (governor of Central Bank of the Philippines 1981-1984))

My great great grandfather [on my mother's side] was Spanish with the last name of Atmosfera. But that name ceased to exist in my generation cause it's a female [my grandmother] who is directly linked to that name. Only my uncles carry it as their middle name and my mom and my aunt as their maiden name (before marriage).

I remember my friend from Abra. I think he mentioned about that last name, Atmosfera. I'll ask him.

+Quote Post
silangan
post May 28 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (taybenco @ May 26 2009, 12:40 PM) *

Spanish, starting with an E up from Ilocos and Nueva Ecija. And Spanish with M, from the Visayas... Probably from the Claveria Edict. Or my Chinese Mestizo ancestors made it up themselves. Before that, there's evidence of Ilocano Surnames.

The descendants of those who migrated to Mindanao from region 1 (Ilocos Region) about a hundred years ago who now know nothing about Ilocanos or the Ilocano language could still trace their roots because of their Ilocano last names.

Some of them starts with AG....... like Agpalsa, Agatep, Agcaoili, Agdeppa, Agbayani, etc.
Some with MANG.........like Mangaoil, Mangaoang, Manglapus, Manglicmot, Mangrobang, etc.
Some with successive same consonants....Like Battad, Caccam, Purugganan, etc.
Some with AOA at the end of the last name like Rumbaoa, Agpaoa, Litaoa, etc.

At least these last names can say something about their history and pinpoint their great-great-great grandparents' origin in the Philippines, maybe up to the level of a town.

+Quote Post
silangan
post May 28 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (flipcombatmedic @ May 28 2009, 02:43 PM) *
Mine is Korean

Ha ha ha ha.

+Quote Post
silangan
post May 28 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (lechatelier @ May 26 2009, 11:47 PM) *
Mine's Filipino, specifically Visayan

Unsa man. Bacalso, Daligdig, Lukay-lukay, Dedal, Dalida, Bantayan, Malinao, Tambis, Yunting, Bantilan, Kahukom, Duhaylungsod, Kuhitmingao, Cabayag, Caluyag,
Cagaanan..... kapoy na man.

+Quote Post
dreiiftw2
post May 28 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #14

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (silangan @ May 28 2009, 03:06 PM) *
The descendants of those who migrated to Mindanao from region 1 (Ilocos Region) about a hundred years ago who now know nothing about Ilocanos or the Ilocano language could still trace their roots because of their Ilocano last names.

Some of them starts with AG....... like Agpalsa, Agatep, Agcaoili, Agdeppa, Agbayani, etc.
Some with MANG.........like Mangaoil, Mangaoang, Manglapus, Manglicmot, Mangrobang, etc.

At least these last names can say something about their history and pinpoint their great-great-great grandparents' origin in the Philippines, maybe up to the level of a town.

i agree! people who have knowledge about the language can tell the origin of a last name that's because filipino last names are connected with the local language. ilocano last names would have root words that are ilocano. the same with other local languages.

+Quote Post
flipcombatmedic
post May 29 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #15

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (silangan @ May 28 2009, 04:06 PM) *

Ag i think is the same as "taga" eg agatep means 'roof dweller'...(i know a few pangasinan agateps)

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post May 29 2009, 01:11 AM
Post #16

AF Elite
Group Icon

My first name, middle name and surname are all spanish.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:21 AM