Reply to this topicStart new topic
Who are China's friends?
Yuje
post Oct 22 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #1

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Group: Members

Basically, what country do you think is China's best friend? Does it have any? I've looked long and hard around the map of Asia, and I really can't think of one that is really a good friend of China's. Or anywhere else in the world, for that matter. By friendships, I mean, like the way the US is with UK and Japan, or France is with Germany. If China wants to be big on the world stage, it needs friends and allies.

USA, Japan, and Taiwan, despite huge trade links, are also the worst with China in terms of relationships.

Russia: Same as above, minus trade links.

India: Sees itself as a rival to China, hopes to surpass China.

Pretty much every SE Asian country: If they do have good relationships with China, tends to be the cordial and polite type, not the warm and friendly type. Descriptions of such relations tend to be laden with terms like "mutal understanding and cooperation", "strengthen economic ties and promote cross-cultural understanding", "mutual benefits between all parties", and "promote closer Sino-XXXX dialogue". All the while I get the impression that everyone involved is trying to hold back from laughing out loud.

Central Asian countries: See SE Asia.

South Korea: China's relation with Korea is kind of like the US is with Canada, mostly with indifference, while the Koreans will get very huffy if you mistake them for being Chinese and be very quick to point out differences in culture. Like in the US, there are many braggerts who like pointing out how much bigger and stronger China is. And like in the US, there are always some people who suggest annexing their northern neighbors, but no one really takes them seriously. Anyway, relations aren't bad, but they aren't great.

North Korea: "You give me food and oil, I love China long time!"

Pakistan: "You give me nukes, I love China long time!"

Singapore: Chinese foreign policy seems to consist of constant asskissing towards China. Always one of the first countries that chirps up to praise China and condemn Taiwan. With Singapore's size and dependence on foreign markets, can't say I blame them.

Anybody else: If they do enjoy very good relations with China, they're too small or unimportant to matter. Good relations with places like Cuba really doesn't mean much, aside from that China needs to keep shoveling out cash to keep the "friendship" going.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JamesLovesAyumi
post Oct 22 2004, 04:13 AM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

I think that it is better to look at who China doesn't get along with.

-Taiwan is the most contentious issue.
-India & China have disagreements over land borders.

The official line is that China & USA want to co-operate rather than contradict each other. However, politicial 'hot potatoe' issues like Taiwan and Tibet show their differences.

But China seems to have its firneds too. China is also officially North Korea's only ally.

+Quote Post
osirak
post Oct 22 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #3

AF Geek
Group Icon

Arabs, Africans, Latin Americans and other third world races see China as a friend.

+Quote Post
MING-LOYALIST
post Oct 22 2004, 07:16 AM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

No China don't really have any ''friends'', exept Pakistan.

+Quote Post
1st_Sino_Reich
post Oct 22 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #5

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (osirak @ Oct 22 2004, 05:24 AM)
Arabs, Africans, Latin Americans and other third world races see China as a friend.

That's why people are starting to suspect Bin laden is hiding in China.

+Quote Post
直隸總督
post Oct 22 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #6

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Banned

France is on good terms with China.

+Quote Post
damahu69
post Oct 22 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #7

AF Addict
Group Icon

nations don't have friends, only interests.

China through effective and consistent diplomacy has made her indispensable to Pakistan, N. Korea, Burma and Laos. China's support is vital to them, hence they have to heed china's needs.

The rest of the SE Asian can't afford to ingore China, they have to befriend china even if they don't like it, they live in china's shadow no matter what. they will try to band together (ASEAN) to counter china's weight, this is very much like the Warring States Era's 连横和纵, where the six lesser states tried to form an alliance again Qin Kingdom but failed. but only a fool would openly be hostile to china and bear china's unfriendliness.

S. Korea's economy is tied with China's.

Japan and China are not in good terms politically, but economy wise are very compatible. Fate will rear its ugly behind when China moves up the economy china and becomes Japan's economy rival as well.

India sees itself as China's rival, China doesn't see India as a rival. Pakistan has kept india busy, and India doens't concern China much.

China-US is in a love-hate relationship, pretty much like China-Japan. China-US is economically compatible, politically not so stable. Conflicts will rise up when China become militarily competitive against US military in Asia theater.

+Quote Post
xiaolin
post Oct 22 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #8

AF Fiend
Group Icon

France,Germany,Italy,S Korea

not bad:Russia,Australia,Canada

This post has been edited by xiaolin: Oct 22 2004, 01:27 PM

+Quote Post
xiaolin
post Oct 22 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #9

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (damahu69 @ Oct 22 2004, 11:25 AM)

China through effective and consistent diplomacy has made her indispensable to Pakistan, N. Korea, Burma and Laos.  China's support is vital to them, hence they have to heed china's needs.

The rest of the SE Asian can't afford to ingore China, they have to befriend china even if they don't like it, they live in china's shadow no matter what. they will try to band together (ASEAN) to counter china's weight, this is very much like the Warring States Era's 连横和纵, where the six lesser states tried to form an alliance again Qin Kingdom but failed. but only a fool would openly be hostile to china and bear china's unfriendliness.

S. Korea's economy is tied with China's.

Japan and China are not in good  terms politically, but economy wise are very compatible. Fate will rear its ugly behind when China moves up the economy china and becomes Japan's economy rival as well.

India sees itself as China's rival, China doesn't see India as a rival. Pakistan has kept india busy, and India doens't concern China much.

China-US is in a love-hate relationship, pretty much like China-Japan. China-US is economically compatible, politically not so stable. Conflicts will rise up when China become militarily competitive against US military in Asia theater.

Totally agreed

+Quote Post
Made in China
post Oct 22 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (damahu69 @ Oct 22 2004, 03:25 PM)

AgreeD! biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post
chinapride
post Oct 22 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

north korea is good friends with china,so iraq , beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
Archangel-X
post Oct 23 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #12

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Actually - one of China's biggest friends is Taiwan.

Taiwan gives the PRC government an excuse to spend billions and billions on the military each year- which could have been spent in helping the people instead.

Taiwan invests billions and billions in China each year, taking money from Taiwan to help the people in China. (China in return points missiles at Taiwan)

Taiwan gives China a place to divert people's attention from many other important social and economic issues with the country.

Taiwan has kept alive lots of traditional Chinese culture, which a lot of has been destroyed or lost in China.

Taiwan is helping China to keep Tibet and Xinjiang, as more people focus on the Taiwanese independence issue, more than the Tibet and Xinjiang independence issues.

For doing these things, the Taiwanese are called evil traitors.

+Quote Post
福州市长
post Oct 23 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

theres no truely friends among the countries...
they are friendly toward each other because they can get something from each other

+Quote Post
warder
post Oct 25 2004, 05:45 AM
Post #14

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Archangel-X @ Oct 23 2004, 08:14 PM)
Actually - one of China's biggest friends is Taiwan.

Taiwan gives the PRC government an excuse to spend billions and billions on the military each year- which could have been spent in helping the people instead.

Taiwan invests billions and billions in China each year, taking money from Taiwan to help the people in China. (China in return points missiles at Taiwan)

Taiwan gives China a place to divert people's attention from many other important social and economic issues with the country.

Taiwan has kept alive lots of traditional Chinese culture, which a lot of has been destroyed or lost in China.

Taiwan is helping China to keep Tibet and Xinjiang, as more people focus on the Taiwanese independence issue, more than the Tibet and Xinjiang independence issues.

For doing these things, the Taiwanese are called evil traitors.

Wow all your posts are so fair and unbiased. Every time there is a thread about China and Taiwan I can always count on Archangel-X to provide me with a balanced view of the situation. So thanks Archangel-X.
I don’t really like to attack the person behind the posts but this is getting a ridiculous. According to you everything China do is wrong and Taiwan can do no wrong. Let me tell you something Taiwan is nothing. If you look at the world right now Taiwan is not really important. The only real reason China wants Taiwan back is not because of its economy the reason is to save face. Seriously how much time do you think the leaders and the populous of China and America spend time thinking about Taiwan? I can tell you not much time. “Taiwan invests billions and billions in China each year” really and why is that? Is it because of greed or is it something else? Is it because everyone knows that Taiwan has no future and they should get their money out of Taiwan ASAP. Wow Taiwan’s business men are so noble “taking money from Taiwan to help the people in China.” You know in some places they call paying desperate people next to nothing to work in factories exploitation but, hey, that is just some places. I guess in your opinion that’s helping. “Taiwan has kept alive lots of traditional Chinese culture, which a lot of has been destroyed or lost in China.” Why was it lost? Was it because when the nationalist party left China they took everything that was not nailed down? I guess it’s fair for Taiwan’s government to possess things that define 5000 years of history for 1.3 billion people.
You know what? I don’t really want to do this anymore; I don’t really want to talk to someone who doesn’t have an open mind and who carries a bias. No matter what I say it will all be for not. So I will stop this here and hope you can look to both sides of the matter but I doubt that it will ever happen at lease when it comes to the matter of China and Taiwan.

+Quote Post
Archangel-X
post Oct 25 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #15

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Wow all your posts are so fair and unbiased. Every time there is a thread about China and Taiwan I can always count on Archangel-X to provide me with a balanced view of the situation. So thanks Archangel-X.

Actually, I'm simply providing my beliefs and knowledge about the situation. No one at all says you must agree with me.

“Taiwan invests billions and billions in China each year” really and why is that?

Because of the fact that there are plenty of cheap labour and resources available.

Wow Taiwan’s business men are so noble “taking money from Taiwan to help the people in China.”  You know in some places they call paying desperate people next to nothing to work in factories exploitation but, hey, that is just some places. I guess in your opinion that’s helping.

It just happens that the Chinese government welcomes these Taiwanese investors (or what you call "exploiters") - as they realise that being employed with low wages - is better than being unemployed.

“Taiwan has kept alive lots of traditional Chinese culture, which a lot of has been destroyed or lost in China.”

Actually, I was referring to the Cultural Revolution. The treasures taken by the KMT to Taiwan are kept safely in the National Palace Museum in Taipei. They haven't been destroyed.

I guess it’s fair for Taiwan’s government to possess things that define 5000 years of history for 1.3 billion people.

I believe in London Museum they have quite a collection of ancient Chinese artifacts. I guess it's fair for Britain's government to possess things that define 5000 years of history for 1.3 billion people too.

But if you go back to my original point, to sum it up would be:
"Taiwan is actually also a good friend to China, because it has helped China in many ways".

Simply, expressing my own opinion.

+Quote Post
IMaBetterAthlete...
post Oct 25 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #16

AF Geek
Group Icon

Here's a better question, which country in the world has actual true friends and not interests?

+Quote Post
jonii-wanwan
post Oct 25 2004, 11:37 AM
Post #17

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (IMaBetterAthleteThanYou @ Oct 25 2004, 12:02 PM)
Here's a better question, which country in the world has actual true friends and not interests?

I don't think such a country would exist. They would end up getting betrayed and conquered by their "friend".
China is a big enough nation to not worry so much about finding friends. More importantly, she needs to convince her little brother, Taiwan, to stop hanging out with his friend, "America".

+Quote Post
communistfever
post Oct 25 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #18

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (福州市长 @ Oct 24 2004, 07:19 AM)
theres no truely friends among the countries...
they are friendly toward each other because they can get something from each other

yup, that's capitalism for ya. everything runs by the greed.

+Quote Post
Lelegreen LeMoN ...
post Oct 25 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #19

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (1st_Sino_Reich @ Oct 22 2004, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (osirak @ Oct 22 2004, 05:24 AM)

That's why people are starting to suspect Bin laden is hiding in China.

ooh.. we'll never know. i wonder how osama will look like if he's hiding in china. a true blue chinaman? ..staying in shanghai? ha..

+Quote Post
福州市长
post Oct 25 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #20

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (IMaBetterAthleteThanYou @ Oct 25 2004, 12:02 PM)

none embarassedlaugh.gif2

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 08:06 PM