AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Japans new Gov wants to get closer to China, Japan, Taiwan, China how not to rock the boat?
chiuchimu
post Sep 2 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #1

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: Members

Japans DPJ won by a land slide recently. The party ran on among other things, distancing Japan from U.S. and seeking closer ties with China. Of course the party might just sit and do nothing, but if they keep their promise, what should Japan do or not do to keep the peace with Taiwan? First, I think Japan has to steer clear of getting involved on issues dealing with Taiwan - China politics. Do the Taiwanese agree?

IMO. Whatever the future holds, I hope the Taiwanese get the future they want and I hope the Chinese are happy with whatever ends up happening.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
InitialDJay
post Sep 2 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #2

AF Elite
Group Icon

they need to resolve the dispute of diaoyutai island or senkaku.

that may be the deal breaker for all 3.

anyway, what kinds of issue does this Japan DPJ emphasize? it depends...but i don't see with this party winning, Japan will sails the ship from US's border.

This post has been edited by InitialDJay: Sep 2 2009, 10:51 PM

+Quote Post
orange peel
post Sep 2 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #3

AF Guru
Group Icon

I don't imagine it's a top priority for any of the 3 governments tho.. It seems to me like the kind of thing that you can leave in the back of the closet and would get solved eventually as realtions got better.. plus no one really gives a rat's @$$ about the island.. just the gas around the island and i think that's easier to share.

+Quote Post
manko
post Sep 2 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #4

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (chiuchimu @ Sep 2 2009, 10:54 PM) *
Japans DPJ won by a land slide recently. The party ran on among other things, distancing Japan from U.S. and seeking closer ties with China.

Japan does not want to distance itself from the U.S. It was a misinterpretation of "Japan wanting to get closer to China". What the DPJ wants is to figure out a middle ground or a balance with both China & the U.S. Trade is very important to them for both Countries and Japan does not want to dump one for the other.

+Quote Post
InitialDJay
post Sep 2 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (orange peel @ Sep 3 2009, 01:26 PM) *
I don't imagine it's a top priority for any of the 3 governments tho.. It seems to me like the kind of thing that you can leave in the back of the closet and would get solved eventually as realtions got better.. plus no one really gives a rat's @$ about the island.. just the gas around the island and i think that's easier to share.

if it's easier to share, it would be solved already.

there's conflict of interest because of the economic zone lies in the location.

+Quote Post
BigBenChow
post Sep 3 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #6

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (chiuchimu @ Sep 3 2009, 10:54 AM) *
Japans DPJ won by a land slide recently. The party ran on among other things, distancing Japan from U.S. and seeking closer ties with China. Of course the party might just sit and do nothing, but if they keep their promise, what should Japan do or not do to keep the peace with Taiwan? First, I think Japan has to steer clear of getting involved on issues dealing with Taiwan - China politics. Do the Taiwanese agree?

IMO. Whatever the future holds, I hope the Taiwanese get the future they want and I hope the Chinese are happy with whatever ends up happening.

They'll most likely do what other countries has been doing when trying to kiss China's @$$. Put economy as priority and human rights, environment, Taiwan, western provinces, etc on the back burner.

QUOTE (InitialDJay @ Sep 3 2009, 12:35 PM) *
if it's easier to share, it would be solved already.

there's conflict of interest because of the economic zone lies in the location.

Its easy to share. But why should China share? China is drilling on their side of the EZZ border line.

This post has been edited by BigBenChow: Sep 3 2009, 08:21 AM

+Quote Post
badparticle
post Sep 3 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #7

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (chiuchimu @ Sep 2 2009, 09:54 PM) *

Taiwanese perspective:

Previous Japanese governments have done really well in not getting tangled up in Taiwan-China politics. It is in Taiwan's interest that your new government continue to do so.

As for what ordinary Japanese folks should or should not do, I wouldn't worry about it too much since the relationship is quite normal and friendly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:41 AM