martin_nuke
post Oct 27 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #21

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Members

QUOTE (salamat @ Oct 27 2009, 08:09 AM) *
Native Philippine culture wouldn't be what it is if not for outside influence

filipinos themselves r outsiders who arrived in the country recently...bringing rice cultivation and livestock that wasn't in the islands before

Most of our crops and cultivation like corn, potato, cacao, pineapple, peanuts and chilli came from Mexico and South America.

The cultivation of rice and sugarcane came from Asia.

The only indegenous crops in the Philippines I could think of is coconut and banana.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
filipinoy
post Oct 27 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #22

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Oct 27 2009, 06:56 PM) *
Most of our crops and cultivation like corn, potato, cacao, pineapple, peanuts and chilli came from Mexico and South America.

The only indegenous crops in the Philippines I could think of is coconut and banana.

where did mangoes came from. the mangoes you see here in the US groceries looks all weird & deformed some of them are violet or red in color embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
martin_nuke
post Oct 27 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #23

AF Elite
Group Icon

I think mangoes came from India.

+Quote Post
sonofgunongjerai
post Oct 29 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #24

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (filipinoy @ Oct 27 2009, 11:04 PM) *
any one who settled within Philippine territory are all native filipinos, aetas, proto-malays, deutero-malays

filipino, indonesian, malaysian are all identities created as a result of foreign colonization

OK, this is what everybody shud understand, it's easy biggthumpup.gif ... What Filipino need to do is to strengthen Tagalog education to other ethnics and promoting it as national language. Don't leave out English and Spanish, teach them also to all Filipinos regardless background... No need to spill blood, what ever happened had already happened, just look forward... Southern Philippines had already in the Philippines. They should just apply for more economy development in their area the same as other regions in the Philippines...

+Quote Post
orient
post Oct 29 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #25

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (salamat @ Oct 26 2009, 12:40 PM) *
What do u think??? culturally and media wise

start teaching about pre-spanish culture and alibata writing in classrooms
More ethnic malay and austronesian filipinos and less mestizas in the media
stop the war in the south....let bangsamoro have a autonomous govt...so what if they want Islam to be in their school curiculum....let them

build closer relations with Malaysia and Indonesia...so we can cooperate to curb chinese threat to South China Sea

Priorities, priorities. Economy first, paranoia last LOL.

Salamat, ingat ka sa mga sig mo. Nasa Amerika ka pa naman. Baka mapagkamalan kang terorista. LOL.

This post has been edited by orient: Oct 29 2009, 04:34 PM

+Quote Post
trismegistos
post Oct 29 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #26

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Oct 27 2009, 08:56 PM) *

Yes, you are correct but the distribution of these domesticated plants happened before the Europeans came something which Donya Alex and the pro-Kastilas would like to refute.

But genetics and new archeologic or paleontological studies are confirming that trans pacific voyages of the Austronesian and vice versa , other Southeast Asian native domesticated plants and animals were found in the Americas and all of these happened Pre Columbian times- even before Columbus set foot in the West Indies.

As for the rice-farming, still the progenitors are Austronesians or Proto-Austronesians though they were living back then in South China. Remember the AryHan Invasion theory laugh.gif este Out of Taiwan theory. Till the Proto Austronesian were pushed and accelerated their maritime technologies because of the invading AryHans. laugh.gif But the plausible and saner reason for migrations and the fast tracking of Maritime technologies was the impending catastrophic rising of sea levels. Of course Pro-Han or the Chinese wannabe would like to say that rice agriculture was invented by the Han Chinese. laugh.gif The Austronesian character of Funan, Yayoi, Jomon and Champa have long been erased by cultural assimilations, invasions, etc

As for mangoes, some species are endemic in India but the best tasting mangoes are native and endemic in the blessed isles, the Philippines and Southeast Asia.

This post has been edited by trismegistos: Oct 29 2009, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post
salamat
post Oct 29 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #27

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (orient @ Oct 29 2009, 05:25 PM) *
Priorities, priorities. Economy first, paranoia last LOL.

Salamat, ingat ka sa mga sig mo. Nasa Amerika ka pa naman. Baka mapagkamalan kang terorista. LOL.

addressing our source of inferiority complex will in turn be for the better of the economy...people will have a rejuvinated sense of patriotism for the country.
We must first love our country before we can get up and start over

+Quote Post
sonofgunongjerai
post Oct 30 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #28

AF Pro
Group Icon

Mango in Malay, southern Malays use the word Mangga which I notice the same with Malayalam language of South-West India. While in Northern part they use, Mampalam, which is the same with Tamil, the language of South-East India. In Malaysian East-Coast, Mango is known as buah Pauh.

+Quote Post
salamat
post Oct 30 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #29

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 03:07 AM) *
Mango in Malay, southern Malays use the word Mangga which I notice the same with Malayalam language of South-West India. While in Northern part they use, Mampalam, which is the same with Tamil, the language of South-East India. In Malaysian East-Coast, Mango is known as buah Pauh.

in the Philippines we use the word mangga as well for mango

+Quote Post
jonathanrhino
post Oct 30 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #30

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 02:07 AM) *

buah=bunga=fruit, Pauh = Paho = a variety of mango, btw, bua is betel nut in ilokano.

+Quote Post
sonofgunongjerai
post Oct 30 2009, 05:52 AM
Post #31

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (jonathanrhino @ Oct 30 2009, 04:38 PM) *
buah=bunga=fruit, Pauh = Paho = a variety of mango, btw, bua is betel nut in ilokano.

Strikingly similar or almost similar eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif Never notice this before...

+Quote Post
sonofgunongjerai
post Oct 30 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #32

AF Pro
Group Icon

Bunga is flower. There are Malay people who use Bunga as their name. It is a female name. Other Malay name is Awang. It means Goose and for male. I think Tagalog and other Filipino tribal languages are interesting after knowing this...

+Quote Post
salamat
post Oct 30 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #33

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 06:57 AM) *
Bunga is flower. There are Malay people who use Bunga as their name. It is a female name. Other Malay name is Awang. It means Goose and for male. I think Tagalog and other Filipino tribal languages are interesting after knowing this...

bunga in tagalog is totally different I think it means "to come forth from"

+Quote Post
sonofgunongjerai
post Oct 30 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #34

AF Pro
Group Icon

Hey, do you know what is the meaning of Ligan? I think I've heard it somewhere in Filipino movie...

+Quote Post
jonathanrhino
post Oct 30 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #35

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 07:08 AM) *
Hey, do you know what is the meaning of Ligan? I think I've heard it somewhere in Filipino movie...

What movie is it? No tagalog word for ligan that i know of, in what context was it used? Iligan = a city in the south, the i in the beginning pertains to a person from Ligan, 'igan = slang for friend, liban = except, are you sure you heard it right?

more similar food words:

makan= eat Ilokano
nasi= rice Pampango
lengkuas = galangal Bicol
tumis = soute' as in tinumis = soute'd pork with blood
babi = baboy Tagalog
kerupok = kropek rice/shrimp fritters
kambing= kambing goat
ketupat=patupat rice cake Pangasinan
lumpia=lumpia, not exclusively Filipino so I tought before
mi = noodle as in mami - noodles made by Ma (a chinese person that introduced this noodle dish), also miswa, same as your miswa...

knew this from Malaysian/Indo food thread...hehehe

+Quote Post
filipinoy
post Oct 30 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #36

AF Elite
Group Icon

i know PUKI in bahasa indo is PUKI too ahaha

but kentut in indo is fart, in fili kantut is f*ck lol

so dont tell an indo girl 'hey u wanna kentut?' ahahahaha

This post has been edited by filipinoy: Oct 30 2009, 01:52 PM

+Quote Post
silangan
post Oct 30 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #37

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 08:08 AM) *

Ligan is a native Filipino last name. As to its meaning? No one these days know it. It's ancient.

Some native Filipino last names and names of towns and cities have lost their meanings.

+Quote Post
sonofgunongjerai
post Oct 31 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #38

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (silangan @ Oct 31 2009, 03:14 AM) *
Ligan is a native Filipino last name. As to its meaning? No one these days know it. It's ancient.

Some native Filipino last names and names of towns and cities have lost their meanings.

I think I heard it somewhere in a scene of a movie... Sorry, can't remember the title. The scene is where chasing around happened. I heard something like they said, "ligan... ligan." It also means chasing in Northern Malay language. The word "ligan" only exist in Northern Malay dialect. That is why I'm so astonished when I heard they say the word, in Filipino/Tagalog.

ahahaa... P*ki is bad word... there is also buret for the same meaning... it will becomes buritan when you put the suffix -an and it will means the lower part of a ship.

Other bad word is buto/butoh... it means d*ck. But in Indonesian it means necessity, ahaha... I guess the meaning of the word in Indonesian is from Javanese and not Malay.

Too bad, I guess Filipino language has a huge reservation for Austronesian words since the location is in Islands and quite distinct... We in the mainland had been mixed with Austroasian, Tais and Indians, so quite difficult too to determine local words.

+Quote Post
Najjiah
post Oct 31 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #39

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 07:00 PM) *
I think I heard it somewhere in a scene of a movie... Sorry, can't remember the title. The scene is where chasing around happened. I heard something like they said, "ligan... ligan." It also means chasing in Northern Malay language. The word "ligan" only exist in Northern Malay dialect. That is why I'm so astonished when I heard they say the word, in Filipino/Tagalog.

ahahaa... P*ki is bad word... there is also buret for the same meaning... it will becomes buritan when you put the suffix -an and it will means the lower part of a ship.

Other bad word is buto/butoh... it means d*ck. But in Indonesian it means necessity, ahaha... I guess the meaning of the word in Indonesian is from Javanese and not Malay.

Too bad, I guess Filipino language has a huge reservation for Austronesian words since the location is in Islands and quite distinct... We in the mainland had been mixed with Austroasian, Tais and Indians, so quite difficult too to determine local words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Austronesian_language

+Quote Post
filipinoy
post Oct 31 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #40

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (sonofgunongjerai @ Oct 30 2009, 10:00 PM) *

learn root words

or

just get some knowledge of the other influence languages

back then i couldnt not even determine some words in Tagalog if they are of spanish origin or local since i hear them everyday & spelled in the filipino way, now i can most likely tell which one is from spanish or not 99-100%. also, knowing some Spanish speakers really helped too

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 10:53 PM