Post #1

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: Members

Japan Taiwan’s favorite country, survey reveals

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arc...3/24/2003468824

STAFF WRITER, WITH CNA
Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010, Page 3

More than half the population [of Taiwan] listed Japan as their favorite country, a survey conducted by Japan’s representative office in Taiwan has found.

Japan ranked far ahead of the US and China as the favorite foreign country of Taiwanese, being chosen by 52 percent of respondents to a survey conducted by the Japan Interchange Association’s Taipei office, the country’s de facto embassy in Taiwan.

Only 8 percent of respondents said the US was their favorite country, while 5 percent said China.

“The results show that people in Taiwan and Japan have good feelings about each other in general,” said Chen Tyau-her (陳調和), secretary-general of the East Asian Relations Commission under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In terms of Taiwan-Japan relations, 28 percent described them as “good or very good,” and 63 percent said relations are “neither good nor bad.”

Around 62 percent of respondents described Japan as a “closely-related” country, with 13 percent among them saying that relations between Taiwan and Japan are “very close.” The number was down from last year’s 69 percent.

Japan is still highly popular among Taiwanese tourists, as 90 percent of respondents said it was a charismatic country and 44 percent said Japan was their preferred destination for an overseas trip.

Europe was the second favorite destination at 29 percent.

Economic, trade and industrial exchanges were listed by 20 percent of respondents as the area of greatest expectations for bilateral exchanges in the future.

However, Japan lagged behind China — 31 percent to 33 percent — as the most important country with which Taiwan should try to seek closer relations, the survey found. The US was third.

Among areas of concern in the bilateral relationship, 36 percent of respondents said they were most worried about fishing issues while 30 percent cited anxiety over the impact of the Japan-China relationship on Japan’s ties with Taiwan.

The Interchange Association concluded that while most Taiwanese still view the relationship with Japan as close, the percentage of those listing Japan as their favorite country has dropped from last year, and the appeal of Japanese food was also slightly down.

This post has been edited by Red Fox Ace: Mar 23 2010, 05:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Mar 24 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

This is not so surprising.

The surveyor actually already know the answer before he begin his polling.

I have been in Taipei, sometimes I met some people in Taiwan street who acting like he is a Japanese. This is funny and a shame too.

He said Ganbate for Jia You.

I sometimes read Japanese forumer comments about this Chinese in Taiwan behavior.

Very sad actually.

I think what Chinese in Taiwan need to learn from Japanese is how they build and manage world class company like Sony and Toyota. Taiwan need a lot of world class companies. I have a big hope for Asus, Acer and Taiwan car brand, Luxgen!

Taiwan also need to develop their own comic, anime and video games. Taiwan government should encourage and help their people to develop it. Taiwan government can't just sit down and pretending everything is ok. With government support and wisely choose high spirited talented people, this will be flourish.

This post has been edited by Hugham: Mar 24 2010, 09:01 AM

+Quote Post
badparticle
post Mar 24 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #3

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hugham @ Mar 24 2010, 08:48 AM) *

You probably just experienced some culture shock about Taiwan that's all.

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Mar 24 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

I'm familiar with Japanese culture. But yes, I'm shocking with Chinese in Taiwan behavior.

I wonder why Taiwan didn't develop their own POP culture. Isn't Taiwan POP industry is very flourish and bigger than Japan. A magazine that originated from Japan, have higher value in Taiwan. Japanese food is very popular compare with Chinese food, like Dorayaki for example. I don't think Japanese food is more delicious than Chinese food, but Chinese in Taiwan pretending that way. They are very proud if people ask are you Japanese. They are extremely happy and tell everyone if they just came back from a tour to Japan.

What is disturbing me is because this is already became extreme and fanatics. In the past I always proud Taiwan Pop culture had big influence over East Asia, but today Taiwan Pop culture almost dead. Even S Korea far more popular than Taiwan and HK. I wonder what happen? Is there no creative people with brilliant idea left in Taiwan and HK?

+Quote Post
zombie
post Mar 24 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #5

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hugham @ Mar 24 2010, 09:48 AM) *

I have been in Taipei, sometimes I met some people in Taiwan street who acting like he is a Japanese. This is funny and a shame too.

I sometimes read Japanese forumer comments about this Chinese in Taiwan behavior.

Very sad actually.

I think what Chinese in Taiwan need to learn from Japanese is how they build and manage world class company like Sony and Toyota. Taiwan need a lot of world class companies. I have a big hope for Asus, Acer and Taiwan car brand, Luxgen!

Taiwan also need to develop their own comic, anime and video games. Taiwan government should encourage and help their people to develop it. Taiwan government can't just sit down and pretending everything is ok. With government support and wisely choose high spirited talented people, this will be flourish.

Stop exaggerating. Most Taiwanese aren't like that at all.

+Quote Post
ReginaRae
post Mar 27 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

This doesn't surprise me.

+Quote Post
Mid-Night_Sun
post Mar 27 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #7

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hugham @ Mar 24 2010, 10:48 AM) *

Very sad actually.

rotflmao.gif

+Quote Post
dlai
post Mar 28 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #8

AF Fan
Group Icon

I lived in Taiwan for several years, and I have never came across anyone who likes Japan or their government.
Where in the world did you come up with these figures?
Taiwan residents has been fighting and protesting against Japan in the Dia Yu Tai islands for decades. Taiwan has send ship after ship to protest against Japan.
I have never seen any japan pop culture, or even movie, actors or anything of that nature in Taiwan. Oh yes, except X rated adult movies. Taiwan actually has been watching alot of Korean movies, and soap operas if you really want to know.
So, this thing of Taiwan's favorite nation topic is completely wrong. The only country Taiwan really likes is Taiwan themselves.

+Quote Post
Red Fox Ace
post Mar 28 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #9

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (dlai @ Mar 28 2010, 01:53 AM) *
I lived in Taiwan for several years, and I have never came across anyone who likes Japan or their government.

Do you bother to read the original post? I cited Taipei Times.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arc...3/24/2003468824

+Quote Post
zombie
post Mar 28 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #10

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (dlai @ Mar 28 2010, 01:53 AM) *
Taiwan residents has been fighting and protesting against Japan in the Dia Yu Tai islands for decades. Taiwan has send ship after ship to protest against Japan.
I have never seen any japan pop culture, or even movie, actors or anything of that nature in Taiwan. Oh yes, except X rated adult movies. Taiwan actually has been watching alot of Korean movies, and soap operas if you really want to know.
So, this thing of Taiwan's favorite nation topic is completely wrong. The only country Taiwan really likes is Taiwan themselves.

Obviously the article was talking about countries other than Taiwan itself. It does make it appear as if Taiwanese worship the Japanese, although that's not true at all. Most Taiwanese I know appreciate Japanese culture but by no means do they worship the Japanese like people claim.

Well some hardcore DPP supporters do but that's another story.

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Mar 28 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (dlai @ Mar 28 2010, 01:53 PM) *

May be because you stayed in Taiwan not long enough, or just a tourist passing through. So you didn't see the real society.

The survey really tell Chinese in Taiwan.

This is sad.

I think rather than just following Japanese pop culture and life, I suggest Chinese in Taiwan to learn from Japanese and outperformed them one day.

Taiwan need to be more ambitious to be no.1 and seek for perfection. Korean has better mentality than Chinese in Taiwan.

+Quote Post
dlai
post Mar 28 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #12

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hugham @ Mar 28 2010, 09:44 PM) *
May be because you stayed in Taiwan not long enough, or just a tourist passing through. So you didn't see the real society.

The survey really tell Chinese in Taiwan.

This is sad.

I think rather than just following Japanese pop culture and life, I suggest Chinese in Taiwan to learn from Japanese and outperformed them one day.

Taiwan need to be more ambitious to be no.1 and seek for perfection. Korean has better mentality than Chinese in Taiwan.

I stayed in Taiwan longer than all of you guys combined, several YEARS. I lived and worked there.
There are no chinese in Taiwan. There were only Taiwanese. Taiwan residents call themselves Taiwanese.

The only person that is sad is you.

Taiwan has already out performed Japanese. Just look at the computer technology. All the components in computers are made in Taiwan. Even the japanese computers are made in Taiwan.
I think you are the one who has never been to Taiwan.

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Mar 28 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

Sometimes I have a feeling that Chinese in Taiwan lack of self-confidence. Because of low GDP per capita, they feel inferior toward Japanese, especially those in Tokyo.

They saw themself as backward people, while Japanese is modern and advanced. Chinese in Taiwan want to look modern too, that is why they are copying Japanese. Even they look Japanese ancient culture as modern, stylist and trendy too. Far superior than Chinese ancient culture.

Most of outsider saw Taiwan as IT country. But the true face of Taiwan is a rural country, since most of their people living in the urban village. Don't be fooled by people claim Taiwan has high urbanization, because many rural areas are developed well almost like small city. They may wear modern cloth and living in modern house, but in mentality, a rural people still a rural people.

Taiwan has 20 million population, but most of them are living in rural area. Unlike Shanghai with 20 million true urban people and Tokyo with 30 million.

As you can see in TV, many Taiwan politicians dressed and acting like rural people to gain people popularity. This reflecting true Taiwan society. May be this is the reason why Taiwan GDP per capita didn't expand in the last 20 years. While in Korea, most of politicians look very modern and so urban.

Taiwan need to reallocation their people to be concentrated in the big city. At least Taipei and Kaoshiung should have 8 million people each. This will develop people mind to be more modern and advanced. Taiwan GDP per capita will rise too.

With the current Taiwan situation, don't expecting something big from Taiwan in the near future, unless there's a big change, especially in the urbanization.

+Quote Post
mndeg
post Mar 28 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #14

AF Legend
Group Icon

lol chinese trolls

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Mar 28 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (dlai @ Mar 29 2010, 10:07 AM) *
I stayed in Taiwan longer than all of you guys combined, several YEARS. I lived and worked there.
There are no chinese in Taiwan. There were only Taiwanese. Taiwan residents call themselves Taiwanese.

The only person that is sad is you.

Taiwan has already out performed Japanese. Just look at the computer technology. All the components in computers are made in Taiwan. Even the japanese computers are made in Taiwan.
I think you are the one who has never been to Taiwan.

Taiwanese is Chinese too, just like HKer, Shanghainese, Cantonese, etc.

IT is just a small part of Taiwan. And Taiwan IT is not enough to bring Taiwan to have high GDP per capita like Japan. Taiwan need to explorer another fields, there's still a lot of thing need to be develop.

+Quote Post
dlai
post Mar 28 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #16

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hugham @ Mar 28 2010, 10:53 PM) *
Taiwanese is Chinese too, just like HKer, Shanghainese, Cantonese, etc.

IT is just a small part of Taiwan. And Taiwan IT is not enough to bring Taiwan to have high GDP per capita like Japan. Taiwan need to explorer another fields, there's still a lot of thing need to be develop.

Taiwanese are not chinese. Taiwan is a separate country. Hker do not see themselves as chinese either. They have many books in HK that openly critize china, beijing and critize china from A to Z. I was shocked when I visited HK 3 months ago. Shanghainese are mainland chinese. Shanghai is located in China. Many cantonese live in San Francisco, LA, NY and are in all 10 corners of the planet. They are not chinese either.

Tawian GDP is doing just fine for a country of 20 million. Comparing Taiwan's GDP to the USA of 14 trillion, japan of 5 trillion , or whatever other country is just plain stupid. Taiwanese live richly and happily. They are among the richest Asians in Asia. Good for them!

Hugham is a bitter little troll, just can't handle independent Taiwan, and DPP winning all current elections.
Bitter little trolls are cowards at heart. That is why Hugham is trash talking Taiwan left and right.
A cowardly bitter little troll, that is why , we all look down upon you!

+Quote Post
zombie
post Mar 29 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #17

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (dlai @ Mar 28 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Taiwanese are not chinese. Taiwan is a separate country. Hker do not see themselves as chinese either. They have many books in HK that openly critize china, beijing and critize china from A to Z. I was shocked when I visited HK 3 months ago. Shanghainese are mainland chinese. Shanghai is located in China. Many cantonese live in San Francisco, LA, NY and are in all 10 corners of the planet. They are not chinese either.

Tawian GDP is doing just fine for a country of 20 million. Comparing Taiwan's GDP to the USA of 14 trillion, japan of 5 trillion , or whatever other country is just plain stupid. Taiwanese live richly and happily. They are among the richest Asians in Asia. Good for them!

All Hkers I know view themselves as ethnic Chinese. Most Taiwanese including myself have no problems referring to ourselves as ethnic Chinese as well. Being a Han Chinese doesn't mean you have to be from Mainland China.

You remind me of that poster Emac who was banned not too long ago.

This post has been edited by zombie: Mar 29 2010, 12:06 AM

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Mar 29 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (dlai @ Mar 29 2010, 12:47 PM) *

Hugham is a bitter little troll, just can't handle independent Taiwan, and DPP winning all current elections.
Bitter little trolls are cowards at heart. That is why Hugham is trash talking Taiwan left and right.
A cowardly bitter little troll, that is why , we all look down upon you!

Dlai, you are not Chinese, right?

Chinese saw themself as cultural race rather than nationalistic. All Chinese who live in overseas, identify themself as Chinese and call Chinese countries from mainland China, Taiwan to Singapore as their home.

No, Taiwan people is not among the richest in Asia. Japan, Qatar, Singapore etc has far higher GDP per capita than Taiwan. Taiwan government need a good vision and plan to develop Taiwan economy.

+Quote Post
robot_devil
post Mar 30 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #19

AF Addict
Group Icon

Why argue for, lets take a vote right here on AF.

Taiwan friends, and Taiwan friends only. You are invited to take part in an online poll in Taiwan chat. Your participation is much apreciated icon_wink.gif

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=228117

This post has been edited by robot_devil: Mar 30 2010, 10:04 AM

+Quote Post
ryuji_yamamoto
post Apr 9 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #20

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Taiwan 加油!!!