Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Suppression of Cantonese Becomes Vigorous
Suijen
post Aug 13 2010, 04:16 AM
Post #101

AF Legend
Group Icon

Group: Members

lol, what if he said that regular mainlanders hated Shanghainese people?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
User1
post Aug 13 2010, 06:32 AM
Post #102

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (crabdonut @ Aug 13 2010, 12:35 AM) *
If its just from a conversation with random people, where did you get "a good percentage"? On what basis do you have to claim that "a good percentage" wants independence? How do you make such a claim with such a biased sample size? And stop assuming every Cantonese is a crazy nationalist, people are just offended by your labeling of cantonese as being more "unchinese" or how they're suppose to be. Suijen may have nationalism but doesn't most people?

You know, I was shocked, too. But then I realized how identity is really shaped by personal experiences. These people are not crazy. Their considerations are very practical. Guangzhou/Guangdong is a place that is swarmed by non-local workers. It's only a matter of time, if govt policy doesn't change, that the local culture will be extinguished, a decade or two. These people who are calling for independence just want to preserve their local culture.

If any Cantonese is a crazy nationalist, it's the Cantonese abroad, with their ultra-Chinese nationalism and hate for America, all the while they live in America. What's crazy is people like Titanium calling for the extermination of Tibetans, Mongolians, Uighurs, and then flip around getting angry that the government wants to exterminate Cantonese language.

What's crazy is Cantonese people like Leslie Yeung calling Viets monkeys when Cantonese have a great deal of overlap in looks with Vietnamese and Tai-Kadai. He makes Chinese people look like idiots.

People in Guangzhou:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69KPKTzDxBI

This post has been edited by User1: Aug 13 2010, 06:45 AM

+Quote Post
tianya
post Aug 13 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #103

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Suijen @ Aug 13 2010, 04:16 AM) *
lol, what if he said that regular mainlanders hated Shanghainese people?

Internet is never lack of idiot. icon_neutral.gif
Don't a lot of people here have bitter feeling to shanghainese?(Although I bet most of u have never been to shanghai before)
Well, I do not majority shanghainese care about that. embarassedlaugh.gif

QUOTE (User1 @ Aug 13 2010, 07:32 AM) *
You know, I was shocked, too. But then I realized how identity is really shaped by personal experiences. These people are not crazy. Their considerations are very practical. Guangzhou/Guangdong is a place that is swarmed by non-local workers. It's only a matter of time, if govt policy doesn't change, that the local culture will be extinguished, a decade or two. These people who are calling for independence just want to preserve their local culture.

If any Cantonese is a crazy nationalist, it's the Cantonese abroad, with their ultra-Chinese nationalism and hate for America, all the while they live in America. What's crazy is people like Titanium calling for the extermination of Tibetans, Mongolians, Uighurs, and then flip around getting angry that the government wants to exterminate Cantonese language.

What's crazy is Cantonese people like Leslie Yeung calling Viets monkeys when Cantonese have a great deal of overlap in looks with Vietnamese and Tai-Kadai. He makes Chinese people look like idiots.

People in Guangzhou:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69KPKTzDxBI

So what's ur point?
Forget how do u insult others?Why should ppl be kind to such a troll like u?
总桑,乃娘是不是被广东宁上的忒多了? embarassedlaugh.gif

This post has been edited by tianya: Aug 13 2010, 07:06 AM

+Quote Post
bear11
post Aug 13 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #104

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (User1 @ Aug 12 2010, 08:32 AM) *
Conversations with people dawg.. How can I find prove? It's not like PRC allows surveys of people on how they support splitting up the country.

It must be hard to reconcile with your Overseas Chinese sense of nationalism but Chinese people in China sometimes think in different ways.

This is obviously a troll but, of course there are surveys and Chinese people in China are very partiotic.

47% of general public, 50% of opinion leaders and 51% of buisness leaders regard themselves highly patriotic.(On a scale of 1 to 5 where 1 is “not at all patriotic” and 5 is “highly patriotic,”)

http://www.survey.committee100.org/2007/fi...yFullReport.pdf page 68/84

This post has been edited by bear11: Aug 13 2010, 08:54 AM

+Quote Post
LittleDeathAngel
post Aug 17 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #105

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (zombie @ Jul 13 2010, 09:18 AM) *
How retarded are these idiots. How long will it take them to realize that banning and supressing the native languages of people won't promote "unity" but instead cause resentment? Honestly, this feels like a concept that even 12 year olds would understand.

Why can't they appreciate the diversity and variety in the Han culture (and all other cultures for that matter)? Making Mandarin the national language is fine since it allows everyone to communicate, but trying to suppress other dialects is totally unnecessary.

I am half and half on this idea.

I think China should have a unified language but not Mandarin.

I don't know about you but if you listen to Cantonese and Mandarin, you will notice the similarities with some words in that you can sort of understand what the other person is talking about even if you don't speak Cantonese/Mandarin.

I think they should focus the similarities of the two languages and re-invent the Chinese language so that both Cantonese and Mandarin speakers can learn and use with ease.

Forcing Mandarin on people MAY unify the Chinese people WITHIN China but it will also SEPARATE Chinese people that are overseas. The majority of Chinese speakers outside China use Cantonese and can't use Mandarin (I am one of them.). They are alienating their networks and people.

+Quote Post
9lantern
post Aug 17 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #106

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (TaiwaneseSpy @ Aug 18 2010, 04:19 AM) *
Communists are bastards!!! Guangdonese people are struggling because of COMMUNIST OPPRESSION!

Death to the communists! LOL..

+Quote Post
strongbad
post Aug 18 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #107

AF Pro
Group Icon

the schools in canton they teach only cantonese? or do they teach mandarin? If the schools in cantonese teach mandarin, wouldnt that mean in the future most chinese people will speak mandarin?

But if canton teaches cantonese in school and not mandarin, then I can see why this might cause a rift between cantonese and mandarin.

I think china should just drop cantonese and just pickup english and mandarin.

+Quote Post
pka7
post Aug 25 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #108

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (strongbad @ Aug 18 2010, 01:52 AM) *
the schools in canton they teach only cantonese? or do they teach mandarin? If the schools in cantonese teach mandarin, wouldnt that mean in the future most chinese people will speak mandarin?

But if canton teaches cantonese in school and not mandarin, then I can see why this might cause a rift between cantonese and mandarin.

I think china should just drop cantonese and just pickup english and mandarin.

mandarin nazi

+Quote Post
fireplant
post Jun 19 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #109

AF Pro
Group Icon

I'm a mandarin-only speaker and I support local dialects. It isn't good for China to become *too* monolithic.

+Quote Post
freezingpoint
post Jun 19 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #110

AF Addict
Group Icon

Cantonese is not banned. Mandarin is the national dialect.

Likewise, SPANISH is not banned in the US. But English is the national language.

Cantonese and Mandarin, to be fair, are not on the same level in terms of usage. 800 million people speak a form of Mandarin. About 10 million speak Cantonese, and of those 10 million, almost all also speak Mandarin. There is NO WAY that 800 million should make way for 10 million. Majority rule here. Sun Yat Sen was Cantonese and even he realized that Mandarin was just better.

+Quote Post
orange peel
post Jun 19 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #111

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (pka7 @ Jul 25 2010, 01:11 PM) *
These were photos of "Support Cantonese Rally" in Guangzhou yesterday.

Still the same slogan "Cantonese take off. Mandarin **** off"

wait wait wait wait.. why are the signs in 繁体?

QUOTE (pka7 @ Jul 25 2010, 03:46 PM) *
So????

Why can't schools in China provide classes for other Chinese languages besides Mandarin???????
It is so ridiculous that they emphasize on the importance of Spanish and totally ignore the languages of their own races.

cuz if you start doing that then instead of having math, science, geography, your whole schedule will be 10 different Chinese dialects

QUOTE (pka7 @ Jul 25 2010, 07:02 PM) *
lol

50 cents for you

fu-k off

This post has been edited by orange peel: Jun 19 2011, 04:25 PM

+Quote Post
orange peel
post Jun 19 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #112

AF Guru
Group Icon

This post has been edited by orange peel: Jun 19 2011, 04:23 PM

+Quote Post
orange peel
post Jun 19 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #113

AF Guru
Group Icon

sorry trigger finger plz delete

This post has been edited by orange peel: Jun 19 2011, 04:25 PM

+Quote Post
SoCal
post Jun 19 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #114

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: Bronze AF Subscriber

QUOTE (freezingpoint @ Jun 19 2011, 12:16 PM) *
Cantonese is not banned. Mandarin is the national dialect.

Likewise, SPANISH is not banned in the US. But English is the national language.

Cantonese and Mandarin, to be fair, are not on the same level in terms of usage. 800 million people speak a form of Mandarin. About 10 million speak Cantonese, and of those 10 million, almost all also speak Mandarin. There is NO WAY that 800 million should make way for 10 million. Majority rule here. Sun Yat Sen was Cantonese and even he realized that Mandarin was just better.

Are you sure it's only 10 million people speak Cantonese? I hear that it is around 100 million people speaking Cantonese. confused.gif

+Quote Post
ElapsePride
post Jun 19 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #115

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (SoCal @ Jun 19 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Are you sure it's only 10 million people speak Cantonese? I hear that it is around 100 million people speaking Cantonese. confused.gif

not really,
Cantonese is popular oversea, but not much in China.
Cantonese people are very proud of their language, they're also sensitive, get challenged easily
Look at the graph below, the pink area is Cantonese.

This post has been edited by ElapsePride: Jun 19 2011, 05:52 PM

+Quote Post
fireplant
post Jun 19 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #116

AF Pro
Group Icon

way more than 10 million no matter how you look at it. I'm guessing 40 million.

France is only 50 million people. How can you say cantonese cannot have their own language TV station? It's as much of a different language as portugese is from spanish, or spanish from italian.

This post has been edited by fireplant: Jun 19 2011, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
fireplant
post Jun 19 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #117

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (ElapsePride @ Jun 19 2011, 06:50 PM) *

Great map. Never seen this before.

I've never heard people use the term 官话. I thought mandarin meant only 普通话 or 国语。But 管话 does makes more sense.

+Quote Post
DOUBLEMINT
post Jun 19 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #118

AF Pro
Group Icon

Cantonese is the best sounding language ever. party.gif

+Quote Post
ElapsePride
post Jun 19 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #119

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (DOUBLEMINT @ Jun 19 2011, 08:23 PM) *
Cantonese is the best sounding language ever. party.gif

really?? I don't like it..吴语sounds much better for me.

+Quote Post
DOUBLEMINT
post Jun 19 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #120

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (ElapsePride @ Jun 19 2011, 07:26 PM) *
really?? I don't like it..吴语sounds much better for me.

Since you think sichuan accent sounds good,you opinion is worth absolutely nothing. embarassedlaugh.gif

This post has been edited by DOUBLEMINT: Jun 19 2011, 07:33 PM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 11:08 PM