Closed TopicStart new topic
Sci-Fi/ Mecha/ Technolgie movies with philosophical questions
3rr0r
post Nov 16 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #1

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Group: Members

Do you know any Sci-Fi/ Mecha/ Technolgie movies that ask philosophical questions? Like the two Appleseed movies? I'm searching for especially movies with robots and huge machines and the like.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ralf
post Nov 16 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #2

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

Well not exactly a "huge robots" movie, but how about Blade Runner ?
Lots of themes and questions posed by pollution of the environment, Human artificial augmentation, genetic engineering.......
...... the dangers of artificially created servants turning into vicious enemies, or are the genetically engineered replicants merely developing traits that already exist in Human nature...... anger, hatred, the search for identity, freedom ....... ?
...... at what point do our artificial creations become "Human", or conversely at what point do people become inhuman ?

+Quote Post
3rr0r
post Nov 17 2010, 03:55 AM
Post #3

AF Fiend
Group Icon

....thanks! I'll take a look at it. Has anyone seen Tron (first movie) yet? Is it worth the time?

+Quote Post
Ralf
post Nov 17 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #4

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

QUOTE (3rr0r @ Nov 17 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Re Blade Runner..... thanks! I'll take a look at it.
Be sure to watch the final director's cut of Blade runner. The other versions are inferior.

QUOTE (3rr0r @ Nov 17 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Has anyone seen Tron (first movie) yet? Is it worth the time?

The original Tron movie ?
Now that takes me back to when I was in highschool.......
It was 1982 and we had the very first computers in our school. Those computers ran on magnetic tape.
We were allowed to look at them, but not touch, unless we paid for the extra computer class.
Anyway the thing that was interesting for me about that Tron movie was that it dealt with sentient programs that had developed an almost religious belief in the "Computer Users". The belief in the Users was violently supressed by the Master Program, but a group of these sentient programs team up with a User to overthrow the corrupt Master Program. At the time it was certainly a novel concept to have sentient programs with religious beliefs.
Apparently this CGI movie was rejected for a special effects Academy Award because the old farts at the MPA considered the use of computers to generate special effects as "cheating". confused.gif

+Quote Post
matigasngulo
post Nov 17 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

2001 ?

Hello HAL !

+Quote Post
3rr0r
post Nov 17 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #6

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (matigasngulo @ Nov 17 2010, 04:11 PM) *
2001 ?

Hello HAL !

yeah, I know I mentioned a very old movie (Tron) but please, don't just recommend old ones!!!!

+Quote Post
matigasngulo
post Nov 17 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (3rr0r @ Nov 17 2010, 11:53 AM) *
yeah, I know I mentioned a very old movie (Tron) but please, don't just recommend old ones!!!!

Summer Wars - about AI and social networks - not really with "huge machines"

This post has been edited by matigasngulo: Nov 17 2010, 12:25 PM

+Quote Post
3rr0r
post Nov 18 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #8

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (matigasngulo @ Nov 17 2010, 06:25 PM) *
Summer Wars - about AI and social networks - not really with "huge machines"

looks great though.... Thanks!!! do you know more movies like appleseed (=mecha, high-tech machines/ gadgets/ applications/ society, social engineering, sci-fi,....)

+Quote Post
matigasngulo
post Nov 18 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (3rr0r @ Nov 18 2010, 06:02 AM) *
looks great though.... Thanks!!! do you know more movies like appleseed (=mecha, high-tech machines/ gadgets/ applications/ society, social engineering, sci-fi,....)

ok, most of the stuff i know is either dated or more the "what is reality ?" variety, so stating the obvious, Matrix, 13th Floor, maybe Solaris (both the original and the remake), Stalker and more obscure "Welt am Draht" (in German) which combines all of the above but is a 1970s movie.and Total Recall, actually trash is fun to analyse because it does ask questions but also manages quite deftly to paper over them as well.

This post has been edited by matigasngulo: Nov 18 2010, 11:16 AM

+Quote Post
3rr0r
post Nov 19 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #10

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (matigasngulo @ Nov 18 2010, 05:10 PM) *
ok, most of the stuff i know is either dated or more the "what is reality ?" variety, so stating the obvious, Matrix, 13th Floor, maybe Solaris (both the original and the remake), Stalker and more obscure "Welt am Draht" (in German) which combines all of the above but is a 1970s movie.and Total Recall, actually trash is fun to analyse because it does ask questions but also manages quite deftly to paper over them as well.

yeah, Matrix, Total Recall and The Lawnmower Man, Ghost In The Shell and the like are the direction I'm seaching for. Have you seen the Gundam series yet? Do you think it goes the same direction as the one I mentioned? Maybe you know more Mecha-movies (I exclude Transformers)

This post has been edited by 3rr0r: Nov 19 2010, 04:18 AM

+Quote Post
matigasngulo
post Nov 19 2010, 04:15 AM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (3rr0r @ Nov 19 2010, 04:57 AM) *
yeah, Matrix, Total Recall and The Lawnmower Man and the like are the direction I'm seaching for. Have you seen the Gundam series yet? Do you think it goes the same direction as the one I mentioned? Maybe you know more Mecha-movies (I exclude Transformers)

watched the whole gundam series. there actually was a quite good american rip-off of Gundam which i watched as a kid, Exo Squad. Don't know if it fits you bill, but it was also about genetic engineering. maybe also something like the movie Tetsuo / Iron Man, which is about "cyborgs".

This post has been edited by matigasngulo: Nov 19 2010, 04:19 AM

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 12:18 PM