myolinewu
post Dec 18 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #1

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Father ties up twin girls for 10 years at roadside

Father ties up twin girls for 10 years at roadside
These twin sisters have been tied up by their father every day for the past decade

Li Wancheng has bound his 12-year-old daughters’ hands because he claims they would harm themselves if he didn’t control them.
Li Luqin and Li Shangqin live on a roadside in China’s Yunnan Province and Mr Li is trying to save enough money to pay for ‘treatment.’
‘When they were two, they were found to be not normal,’ he said. ‘We only have 1,000 Yuan (£100) of savings. We don’t have extra.
‘The elder, Luqin, would hit herself from time to time, and her sister Shuangqin can’t walk. The local hospitals couldn’t find the reasons but gave the diagnosis that Luqin is mentally disabled while Shuangqin is physically disabled.’
Luqin was seen tied by one hand to a steel fence with the other attached to a tree. She was crying and struggling before some passers-by tried to help.
In February, pictures emerged of a boy of two who had been chained to a post while his poverty-stricken parents went to work.
They had been moved to take desperate measures after his older sister disappeared. They believe she was kidnapped while she played with friends.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/850000-father-...ars-at-roadside
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kuan
post Dec 18 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #2

AF Fan
Group Icon

I thought white people were scum, but I guess I'm wrong bawling.gif

+Quote Post
swingdoctor
post Dec 18 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #3

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (kuan @ Dec 18 2010, 07:24 AM) *
I thought white people were scum, but I guess I'm wrong bawling.gif

I agree this looks bad but we shouldn't judge the parents until we know more about why they have done this. Either way I feel great sympathy for the girls.

+Quote Post
Red Fox Ace
post Dec 18 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #4

AF Guru
Group Icon

How could he have gotten away with this for 3,650 days? icon_neutral.gif

+Quote Post
kuan
post Dec 18 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #5

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Red Fox Ace @ Dec 18 2010, 09:08 AM) *
How could he have gotten away with this for 3,650 days? icon_neutral.gif

Maybe too many people looked the other way...
or it was reported.....and nothing happen, until now.

I'm not going to blame the parent's, maybe they were poor or uneducated and didn't
know how to best handle the situation. But, I do expect the government to provide
services to the handicap.
When I hear stories like this, it makes China sound like a 3rd world country.

+Quote Post
orange peel
post Dec 18 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #6

AF Guru
Group Icon

for all the people who are condemning this so quickly, if they're really mentally unstable, it it that bad? what's the difference between this and a straight jacket.

+Quote Post
ClassicalMusic
post Dec 18 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

China doesn't care much about disability, but they need to do more for disabled too.

+Quote Post
chiuchimu
post Dec 18 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #8

AF Guru
Group Icon

Actually, the fact that the story came out is a demonstration of "freedom of the press" and recognition of social problems that need addressing. There will always be more that a Government can do.

30 years ago. a story like this would have been censured.

+Quote Post
Crys1s
post Dec 18 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #9

AF Fan
Group Icon

AF is dead. Even Japanese are now a welcomed sight in Chinese chat.

+Quote Post
gyudon
post Dec 18 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

So the family only had $US100?

+Quote Post
Guevaraist
post Dec 18 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #11

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (ClassicalMusic @ Dec 18 2010, 07:58 PM) *
China doesn't care much about disability

China actually has done more to prevent the suffering of disabled people than any Western nation.

In 1994 China passed the Maternal and Infant Health Care Law. All pregnant women are required to undergo embryo screening and abort fetuses with genetic disorders like Down syndrome and other conditions.

Whereas in the West, it's all voluntary and a lot of pregnant women don't undergo prenatal screening. Many women even deliberately decide to give birth to a severely disabled child because of religious superstition.

A national survey on ethical and genetic issues of 402 geneticists in China showed that 89% supported current Chinese laws on abortion for genetic abnormalities and non-medical indications. In comparison to this, only 33% of Western geneticists and physicians agree with eugenic goals.

Prof. Richard Lynn rightfully praised the Chinese for their "enthusiastic and efficient use of biotechnology" and a "high IQ starting point".

In addition to the negative attitudes of the elites towards anything eugenic, other reasons we can expect these ideas not to win fast acceptance in the West are the value placed on individual rights, democracy, and the existence of low IQ minorities who would be disproportionately affected by any measures aimed at improving the genetic quality of the population. While many countries in the third world might feel positively about eugenic measures, the attitudes in China are the most favorable and when that is combined with the advantages of an authoritarian government, a lack of dysgenic immigration, and a high IQ starting point it’s not hard to believe that the Chinese will continue to be the most enthusiastic and efficient users of biotechnology.

The Coming Chinese Superstate, Why China is the Future

However, the incidence of disability, especially mental retardation, will never be completely ruled out by eugenic legislation, since it also can be caused by non-genetic factors such as malnutrition, infection, and trauma.

+Quote Post
chiuchimu
post Dec 19 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Crys1s @ Dec 18 2010, 08:29 PM) *
AF is dead. Even Japanese are now a welcomed sight in Chinese chat.

I've been here since March 2009. You joined Yesterday?
that makes me a 先輩. embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 04:03 AM