AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Vietnamese look like Chinese (overseas only)
KraterosHellos
post Dec 27 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #1

AF Fan
Group Icon

Group: Members

I find that quite a few of the Northern Vietnamese who lives overseas tend to look Chinese. I can't even tell that they're not Chinese but are Vietnamese at times. I thought these Northern Vietnamese were Chinese until I saw their last names, such as Duong, Do, and Hoang. Or maybe they are ethnic Chinese, but just have Viet last names because their nationality is Vietnam. Or maybe they're half Viet and half Chinese, i dunno. I didn't ask because they were just acquaintances, and I thought it would be rude if I said out of nowhere, "Yo, you Vietnamese or Chinese or both?"

But that's only with the Northern Viets overseas though. The native Northern Vietnamese on average living in Vietnam do not look Chinese.

What do you think?

P.S. I'm not KraterosHellas. My name and avatar is similar to his because I think he's very cool. But I ain't him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #2

AF Legend
Group Icon

Have you ever really been to Vietnam or have you just looked at the Vietnamese at the China-Vietnam border or have you just heard rumors from other people?

Vietnamese tend to look similar, oversea or inside Vietnam. I'm kinda sick of people who haven't been to Vietnam themselves and then make comments (which they heard from rumors rather experience themselves) to cause some sort of division ethnically/culturally between oversea Viets and Viets in Vietnam.

Plus you're an Iranian (I heard) so you probably can't tell differences between Asians in general.

+Quote Post
KraterosHellos
post Dec 27 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #3

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ Dec 27 2010, 04:24 PM) *
Have you ever really been to Vietnam or have you just looked at the Vietnamese at the China-Vietnam border or have you just heard rumors from other people?

Vietnamese tend to look similar, oversea or inside Vietnam. I'm kinda sick of people who haven't been to Vietnam themselves and then make comments (which they heard from rumors rather experience themselves) to cause some sort of division ethnically/culturally between oversea Viets and Viets in Vietnam.

Plus you're an Iranian (I heard) so you probably can't tell differences between Asians in general.

Yo man, I ain't KraterosHellas, so I ain't Iranian. I already clarified that in my starting post. You should read my whole post instead of reading selected comments.

Anyways no I haven't been to Vietnam (north or south) but I have been looking at some videos of Northern Viets, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGz1ra9ZbFY and they don't look Chinese at all, unlike some of the Northern Viets overseas.

I was working as a bank teller at a Chinese bank in Chinatown, and there was this bank teller chick also working there. She had a Vietnamese last name (Duong) but she was speaking in Cantonese at the customers. I'm not even sure if she's Vietnamese or Chinese. She does look Chinese. She probably is Chinese since she speaks Cantonese, but I have no idea. That's why it confuses the f*ck out of me because their last names are Vietnamese but they look Chinese and speaks Chinese.

This post has been edited by KraterosHellos: Dec 27 2010, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #4

AF Legend
Group Icon

You know you sound pretty familiar to some guy I've been talking to...I'm not sure if you're him...But if you're him, I thought you concluded that those videos aren't clear and not good to tell how people look like.

If you're not him, ok I'm gonna tell you that if they speak Chinese then they're probably part Chinese. But if they are, they shouldn't be from Southern Vietnam Northern Vietnam [typo, sorry], so I don't get why you think they are Northern Vietnamese? Did they tell you they are from Northern Vietnam or did you guess they are from Northern Vietnam based on their look? Most Vietnamese oversea are Southern Vietnamese, and Chinese-Viet are often from Southern Vietnam as well. Hope that helps you. beerchug.gif

This post has been edited by XigonCongchua: Dec 27 2010, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
CYCLO
post Dec 27 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #5

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ Dec 27 2010, 12:59 PM) *
You know you sound pretty familiar to some guy I've been talking to...I'm not sure if you're him...But if you're him, I thought you concluded that those videos aren't clear and not good to tell how people look like.

If you're not him, ok I'm gonna tell you that if they speak Chinese then they're probably part Chinese. But if they are, they shouldn't be from Southern Vietnam Northern Vietnam [typo, sorry], so I don't get why you think they are Northern Vietnamese? Did they tell you they are from Northern Vietnam or did you guess they are from Northern Vietnam based on their look? Most Vietnamese oversea are Southern Vietnamese, and Chinese-Viet are often from Southern Vietnam as well. Hope that helps you. beerchug.gif

I met a Chinese - Viet lady from Hanoi , so not all of them are from Southern Vietnam

+Quote Post
KraterosHellos
post Dec 27 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #6

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ Dec 27 2010, 04:59 PM) *

Nope, we've never chatted. I'm not him (whoever he is)

Yes, I think it is true that a lot of Vietnamese overseas are from Southern Vietnam, because the majority of the Vietnamese that i DO know on a friend basis are from Southern V, and they don't look Chinese. Therefore, I concluded in my mind that Southern Vs do not look Chinese. But then once in a while, I see some "Vietnamese" (they have Viet last names, but they might be part Chinese) who look Chinese, so I thought they're from North Vietnam.

But yeah I guess the chick at the bank was part Chinese then. I should have asked, dammit.

+Quote Post
CYCLO
post Dec 27 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #7

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellos @ Dec 27 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Yes, I think it is true that a lot of Vietnamese overseas are from Southern Vietnam, because the majority of the Vietnamese that i DO know on a friend basis are from Southern V, and they don't look Chinese. Therefore, I concluded in my mind that Southern Vs do not look Chinese. But then once in a while, I see some "Vietnamese" (they have Viet last names, but they might be part Chinese) who look Chinese, so I thought they're from North Vietnam.

But yeah I guess the chick at the bank was part Chinese then. I should have asked, dammit.

a lot of Chinese from Vietnam changed their names, my friend has the name "Trang" but his real name is Chang

he's from Saigon

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #8

AF Legend
Group Icon

"Often", not "always".

In Southern Vietnam, people are familiar with the existence of Chinese Vietnamese. When I talk to people from Hanoi, they go like "What? Really?" when I speak of Chinese-Vietnamese or Chinese that have Viet names and speak Vietnamese fluently. They said in their entire life, they never came across such person and they talked like Chinese-Viet are non-existent in Hanoi. LOL

Also, I think the lady you met could be not from Hanoi originally but from some other places...since like 70% of Hanoians today are not of Hanoi origin anymore (as all my Hanoi friends told me). They came to Hanoi from all over Vietnam. There are lots of Southern Vietnamese in Hanoi too. Likewise there are also lots of Northern Vietnamese in Saigon today. My boyfriend went to Vietnam in summer and he told me that he was surprised at how many "Northerners" there were in Saigon.

+Quote Post
Titanium
post Dec 27 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #9

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellos @ Dec 27 2010, 03:34 PM) *
I was working as a bank teller at a Chinese bank in Chinatown, and there was this bank teller chick also working there. She had a Vietnamese last name (Duong) but she was speaking in Cantonese at the customers. I'm not even sure if she's Vietnamese or Chinese. She does look Chinese. She probably is Chinese since she speaks Cantonese, but I have no idea. That's why it confuses the f*ck out of me because their last names are Vietnamese but they look Chinese and speaks Chinese.

These people are known as Ethnic Hoa, that is ethnic Chinese who's family is from Vietnam hence the reason for the Vietnamese last name+Cantonese speaking. Some only speak Chinese, some only speak Vietnamese and some speak both. Trust me, there are alot of these especially in southern california.

+Quote Post
KraterosHellos
post Dec 27 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #10

AF Fan
Group Icon

People who are half Viet and half Chinese are f*cking hot. There was this chick I knew and she was half-half and she was d*mn hot, like the chick at the bank (assuming she's part C and part V since she speaks Chinese (Cantonese) with a Viet last name)

This post has been edited by KraterosHellos: Dec 27 2010, 05:12 PM

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #11

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellos @ Dec 27 2010, 02:20 PM) *

embarassedlaugh.gif

Yea, in Saigon, ethnic Kinh (Viet) makes up like 91% or so, and ethnic Hoa (Chinese) makes up like 7% or 8%

In Hanoi, ethnic Kinh (Viet) makes up 99.1% and the other 0.9% are ethnic Dao, Mường, and Ty mainly. I don't see they mention ethnic Hoa, but I guess they're included in those 0.9%

(these info are from http://www.gso.gov.vn)

This post has been edited by XigonCongchua: Dec 27 2010, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
KraterosHellos
post Dec 27 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #12

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Titanium @ Dec 27 2010, 05:30 PM) *
These people are known as Ethnic Hoa, that is ethnic Chinese who's family is from Vietnam hence the reason for the Vietnamese last name+Cantonese speaking. Some only speak Chinese, some only speak Vietnamese and some speak both. Trust me, there are alot of these especially in southern california.

ic. cool. I don't live in S Cali so I don't really see many of those Viet last name + Cantonese speakers

+Quote Post
KraterosHellos
post Dec 27 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #13

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ Dec 27 2010, 05:34 PM) *
embarassedlaugh.gif

Yea, in Saigon, ethnic Kinh (Viet) makes up like 91% or so, and ethnic Hoa (Chinese) makes up like 7% or 8%

In Hanoi, ethnic Kinh (Viet) makes up 99.1% and the other 0.9% are ethnic Dao, Mường, and Ty mainly. I don't see they mention ethnic Hoa, but I guess they're included in those 0.9%

(these info are from http://www.gso.gov.vn)

interesting. I always thought there are more Chinese in N Vietnam since it's closer to China. Guess not embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
Titanium
post Dec 27 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #14

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellos @ Dec 27 2010, 04:35 PM) *
ic. cool. I don't live in S Cali so I don't really see many of those Viet last name + Cantonese speakers

Around here, if you see a person with a Vietnamese last name, it doesn't necessarily mean he or she is Vietnamese especially surnames like Duong, Luong, Tran, Le, Hoang, Ly, Luu, Truong. I've met plenty of people that claim Chinese identity with it.

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #15

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellos @ Dec 27 2010, 02:37 PM) *
interesting. I always thought there are more Chinese in N Vietnam since it's closer to China. Guess not embarassedlaugh.gif

Nope.

Most Chinese in Vietnam concentrate the Mekong delta and Saigon I think. It's in Southern Vietnam that the "recent" Chinese influences are obvious to me.

In Northern Vietnam, the "low land" region is dominated by mostly Vietnamese, there are very few ethnic minorities. But there are lots of minorities on the highland. The China-Vietnam border is extremely mountainous and people live on both side of China-Vietnam border are mostly ethnic Hmong, Dao (Yao), Nng (Zhuang) etc.

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #16

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Titanium @ Dec 27 2010, 02:46 PM) *
Around here, if you see a person with a Vietnamese last name, it doesn't necessarily mean he or she is Vietnamese especially surnames like Duong, Luong, Tran, Le, Hoang, Ly, Luu, Truong. I've met plenty of people that claim Chinese identity with it.

I think you spread the wrong message. If they have such surnames then the chance that they are Viet is like 90%, only a small chance that they are ethnic Chinese. You're gonna make people feel like majority of oversea Vietnamese are ethnic Chinese which is not true at all. I think because you're Chinese so you met more people of Chinese heritage...what I'm saying is that those who are ethnic Chinese will introduce themselves to you, talk to you, and hang out with you and while those who are not ethnic Chinese just go indifferent with you, thus from impression you get a skewed percentage of those Ly/Tran/Le/Duong who are actually ethnic Chinese. icon_smile.gif

p/s: Not trying to be racist but I think people tend to hang around with their own people...perhaps because they feel more comfortable being in their own group. Here I have the impression that Viets tend to hang around with Viets more than with other groups.

This post has been edited by XigonCongchua: Dec 27 2010, 04:57 PM

+Quote Post
AnthonyThet
post Dec 27 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #17

AF Fan
Group Icon

growing up i remember seeing fat mexican girls picking on vietnamese GUYS and making them cry, thats how pathetic you guys are. my catholic vietnamese buddy told me stories of how the local viet catholic community used to share a church with white and latinos, he told me during the sermons when the vietnamese priest adressed the vietnamese congregation and spoke vietnamese, the white and latino members used to laugh....even the adults(parents) and this made him very mad

thats how goofy you vietnamese are, even getting laughed at during church services

This post has been edited by AnthonyThet: Dec 27 2010, 10:28 PM

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Dec 27 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #18

AF Legend
Group Icon

^ Troll alert, everyone.

+Quote Post
hoang_1989
post Dec 27 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

vietnamese with chinese origin can be only southern vietnamese people. northern people are pure in their bloodline. no mixing. very homogenous. northern vietnamese dont look chinese at all. i always can distinguish my folk from Chinese people. sorry but it disgust me when i get this chinese comparison. stop it please!!!!!

+Quote Post
AnthonyThet
post Dec 27 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #20

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellos @ Dec 27 2010, 04:17 PM) *
You certainly don't sound ethnic Chinese

my parents are like 3rd generation chinese from cambodia.....i was born in america and most of my friends are cambodians and the only "chinese" i hang around are other ethnic chinese-cambodians(teochew) we overseas chinese are divided by dialects, what makes u think i have anything in common with cantonese? it seems like most chinese here in america are cantonese

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 06:15 AM