Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thai people finally admit that Satay came from Indonesia
Savan
post Feb 25 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #1

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: Members

This thread is about the origins of Satay for those who love SEA cuisines.

Sawan is a Thai troll who had fought with an Indonesian member regarding the origins of Satay (an Indonesian skewered meat dish). That Thai troll claimed that Satay did not come from Indonesia, which shouldn't be surprising since it seems that thais tend to adopt dishes from other countries (i.e. Laos, Indonesia, etc..), but are too insecure to admit the truth. However, nowadays it seems that there are a few truthful thais out there like this woman...

Satay is an Indonesian invention, not Thai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZeW_05tHYc

^ Thai restaurants depend on serving dishes from neighboring countries (and labelling them as "Thai") because actual Thai dishes aren't varied or interesting enough to appeal to Westerners. Laotian and Indonesian dishes add exoticism and excitement to a simple cuisine like Thai. Now that Western people are aware that many of the dishes in Thai restaurants aren't actually Thai, but came from Laos, Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, and others, those Westerners are now seeking the original cuisines. That's why nowadays Thai restaurants tend to lose money and are forced to shut down, whereas Laotian, Indonesian, Malaysian and other restaurants are now very successful.

Satay is Indonesian...chicken satay must be the most popular Indonesian dish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prau123
post Feb 25 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #2

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (Savan @ Feb 25 2011, 03:12 PM) *

Sawan is a Thai troll who had fought with an Indonesian member regarding the origins of Satay (an Indonesian skewered meat dish). That Thai troll claimed that Satay did not come from Indonesia, which shouldn't be surprising since it seems that thais tend to adopt dishes from other countries (i.e. Laos, Indonesia, etc..), but are too insecure to admit the truth. However, nowadays it seems that there are a few truthful thais out there like this woman...

^ Thai restaurants depend on serving dishes from neighboring countries (and labelling them as "Thai") because actual Thai dishes aren't varied or interesting enough to appeal to Westerners. Laotian and Indonesian dishes add exoticism and excitement to a simple cuisine like Thai. Now that Western people are aware that many of the dishes in Thai restaurants aren't actually Thai, but came from Laos, Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, and others, those Westerners are now seeking the original cuisines. That's why nowadays Thai restaurants tend to lose money and are forced to shut down, whereas Laotian, Indonesian, Malaysian and other restaurants are now very successful.

I too ate Satay for the first time at a Thai restaurant, and associated it with Thai cuisine. It wasn't until only recently that I found out it had Indonesian origins. Well, it's good that the Thais served Satay, otherwise I probably would never have tasted it yet, as I don't know of any Indonesian restaurants where I live in the States. Filipinos have their versions of Satay too, but they mostly apply a sugary barbeque flavor too it, and it's only in the far south of the Philippines that they actually serve it with peanut sauce. Thai cuisine is great. Every country borrows from everyone else. Maybe I'll go eat at a Thai restuarant tonight.

This post has been edited by Prau123: Feb 25 2011, 04:36 PM

+Quote Post
Euphoria
post Feb 25 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (Savan @ Feb 25 2011, 03:12 PM) *

Yes, lao food is the best and the most popular cuisine in the world!!! biggthumpup.gif

Top 10 Cuisines of the World – Popularity Wise

Posted on 22 November 2010 by top10contributor

The immense number of cuisines which could be a part of this list is evidence of the fact that the world is getting smaller day by day. As more and more people move from their countries to a foreign country they carry their cuisines and recipes with them, and they introduce their friends and neighbours to new dishes and a new style of cooking.

Here are some of the world’s most popular cuisines:

10. Lebanese

9. Mexican

8. American

7. Japanese

6. Spanish

5. Lao

4. French

3. Indian

2. Italian

1. Chinese

More information : http://top-10-list.org/2010/11/22/top-ten-...s-of-the-world/

+Quote Post
WiangChuan
post Feb 25 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #4

AF Fan
Group Icon

Didn't Thai claim Sushi is all Thai cuisine?

+Quote Post
Euphoria
post Feb 25 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (WiangChuan @ Feb 25 2011, 09:27 PM) *

Yes, and we also claim Pho a Vienamese cuisine to be ours too.

If you don't believe me, please go to the link below. biggthumpup.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcBXfzvBSU0

This post has been edited by Euphoria: Feb 26 2011, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
Viesnabotkampuji...
post Feb 25 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (WiangChuan @ Feb 25 2011, 08:27 PM) *

Savan, are those people in your signature laotian? They certainly dont look lao to me.

Lao?

This post has been edited by Viesnabotkampujia: Feb 25 2011, 09:12 PM

+Quote Post
SuperLanxan
post Feb 27 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #7

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Savan @ Feb 25 2011, 04:12 PM) *

An honest Thai. eek.gif I didn't think they exist. embarassedlaugh.gif

Not that you mention it, I don't think I ever heard of an "authentic Thai cuisine". What is an original Thai cusine that is not "stolen" from neighboring countries?

+Quote Post
PeaceMan
post Feb 27 2011, 02:28 AM
Post #8

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (SuperLanxan @ Feb 27 2011, 12:23 AM) *
An honest Thai. eek.gif I didn't think they exist. embarassedlaugh.gif

Not that you mention it, I don't think I ever heard of an "authentic Thai cuisine". What is an original Thai cusine that is not "stolen" from neighboring countries?

Still an ignorant who love to spread lies and misinfo...Anyway...you didn't heard, doesn't mean it do not exist...

FACT is TomYumKoong, TomKarKai,TodMun,HorMok and many more are "authentic Thai cuisine".

+Quote Post
SiameseCat
post Feb 27 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #9

AF Fan
Group Icon

The History of Hor Mok, an authentic Thai dish.

The origins of fish amok are a source of regional debate. Dishes of this kind aren't unique to Cambodia. Malaysia and Indonesia boast the similar otak otak and Thailand cooks a spicier hor mok but neither nation embraces them with the passion of Cambodia. "Amok" in the Cambodian language, Khmer, only refers to the dish whereas in Thai, "hor mok" translates as "bury wrap," suggesting amok may have come from Cambodia's neighbor.

http://khmerfuture.com/index.php?name=News...p;theme=Printer

This post has been edited by SiameseCat: Feb 27 2011, 08:29 PM

+Quote Post
Tiger74
post Feb 27 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #10

AF Fan
Group Icon

Thailand is the USA of Asia with a mixture of cultures that makes it strong. What is disappointing is some nations only claim to fame is their food or history while their economy solely depends on their Chinese population.

+Quote Post
Sumpit
post Feb 28 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Savan @ Feb 25 2011, 11:12 PM) *

It's widely available across the whole archipelago, however chicken is the most boring type of meat. My favourites are goat meat & pork satay mmm (best without the peanut sauce)
Or even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbO8AIWNqug embarassedlaugh.gif

QUOTE (SiameseCat @ Feb 28 2011, 04:27 AM) *

The origins of fish amok are a source of regional debate. Dishes of this kind aren't unique to Cambodia. Malaysia and Indonesia boast the similar otak otak and Thailand cooks a spicier hor mok but neither nation embraces them with the passion of Cambodia. "Amok" in the Cambodian language, Khmer, only refers to the dish

Ahh so it's similar to otakē?? now I gotsa try amok for sure b'cause I's looove otakē from the street NOM NOM NOM.
Why aren't there any khmer/cambo restaurants near me? I've been to lots of thai restaurants buy they don't sell hor mok/amok

+Quote Post
PeaceMan
post Mar 1 2011, 07:02 AM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (SiameseCat @ Feb 27 2011, 08:27 PM) *

The origins of fish amok are a source of regional debate. Dishes of this kind aren't unique to Cambodia. Malaysia and Indonesia boast the similar otak otak and Thailand cooks a spicier hor mok but neither nation embraces them with the passion of Cambodia. "Amok" in the Cambodian language, Khmer, only refers to the dish whereas in Thai, "hor mok" translates as "bury wrap," suggesting amok may have come from Cambodia's neighbor.

http://khmerfuture.com/index.php?name=News...p;theme=Printer

The Thai name "HorMok" does show exactly how this dish is prepared...

Hor = wrap
Mok= burry (in heat)

This post has been edited by PeaceMan: Mar 1 2011, 07:06 AM

+Quote Post
Bounthy
post Mar 1 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #13

AF Guru
Group Icon

This dish is also very popular in Laos. It's simply called Mok (meaning cooked, usually wrapped in banana leaf)
Mok paa (fish), Mok Kai (chicken), Mok moo (pork), Mok Khai (egg).

http://laocook.com/2007/04/04/lctv-letīs-make-mok-pa/
http://www.savourasia.com/content/view/324/765/

This post has been edited by Bounthy: Mar 1 2011, 09:41 AM

+Quote Post
Bounthy
post Mar 1 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #14

AF Guru
Group Icon

Repeated.

This post has been edited by Bounthy: Mar 1 2011, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
thaiboy
post Mar 1 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

For me,the best dish that can represent the authentic Thai dishes is Thai spicy salad(YUM).

For PORK SATAY ,You can find this dish in every cities in Thailand.
You have to eat pork satay with toated bread and Ajad,they're very yummy

Ajad

This post has been edited by thaiboy: Mar 1 2011, 10:48 AM

+Quote Post
konlovethai
post Mar 1 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Euphoria @ Feb 25 2011, 09:05 PM) *
Yes, lao food is the best and the most popular cuisine in the world!!! biggthumpup.gif

ต้นฉบับมันมีลาวที่ไหนล่ะ มีแต่ประเทศไทย ที่อยู่อันดับ 5 เหอๆ

This post has been edited by konlovethai: Mar 1 2011, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
SiameseCat
post Mar 1 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #17

AF Fan
Group Icon

This dish is also very popular in Laos. It\'s simply called Mok (meaning cooked, usually wrapped in banana leaf)
Mok paa (fish), Mok Kai (chicken), Mok moo (pork), Mok Khai (egg).

http://laocook.com/2007/04/04/lctv-letīs-make-mok-pa/
http://www.savourasia.com/content/view/324/765/

Banana leaf can be found everywhere in SE Asia and is best to wrap food. so it may not be the same dish. I think Lao\'s Mok is cooked differently from Hor Mok it also looks different

Mok Pa

Hor Mok Pla Chon

This post has been edited by SiameseCat: Mar 1 2011, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
mushrooms
post Mar 1 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

edit

This post has been edited by mushrooms: Mar 1 2011, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
Euphoria
post Mar 2 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #19

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (konlovethai @ Mar 1 2011, 02:09 PM) *

ต้นฉบับมันมีลาวที่ไหนล่ะ มีแต่ประเทศไทย ที่อยู่อันดับ 5 เหอๆ

ไม่มีหรอก ตั้งใจจะแกล้งพวกลาวเกรียนมันน่ะ 555

+Quote Post
RedIsan
post Mar 2 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #20

AF Geek
Group Icon

ห่อ"ข้าว" ห่อ"ของ" ห่อ"ขนม" ห่อ"หมก" แสดงว่าเอาหมกมาห่อ หมกเป็นอาหารอีสานและลาว ห่อหมก คือ การเอาหมกมาห่อ ไม่ใช่อาหารไทยซะหน่อย แค่เอาไปดัดแปลงใส่กะทิเท่านั้นเอง ขอร้องอย่ามั่ว beerchug.gif

This post has been edited by RedIsan: Mar 2 2011, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 02:05 AM