AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vietnam: East Asian country or Southeast Asian?
supernovasp
post Dec 11 2003, 05:01 PM
Post #1

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

I think geographically, Vietnam is a south east asia country.

But other than that, culturally and other stuff, Vietnam fits into east asian country.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post Dec 11 2003, 05:16 PM
Post #2

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Members

i think we dont kare...or get the dam...icon_smile.gif
vietnam is SE asia...

+Quote Post
直隸總督
post Dec 14 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Banned

Vietnam is a south east asian country.
politically, it's SE
racially, they're mixed with east asians and natives. the majority of them are un-mongoloid(east asians)
culturally, Indo-China as the name implies, it's influnced by both India and China. Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia are proto-Indian, Vietnam is more influenced by China.

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Dec 14 2003, 12:31 AM
Post #4

AF Elite
Group Icon

Vietnam is a Southeast Asian nation who's been greatly influenced by China (East Asia). Just because a nation is deeply influenced by another doesn't mean it belongs to the same region :-). The United States is deeply Euro-centric but it doesn't make the U.S. an European nation :-)

+Quote Post
shuang_dao
post Dec 15 2003, 06:35 AM
Post #5

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Group: Validating

QUOTE (Kulong @ Dec 14 2003, 01:31 AM)
Vietnam is a Southeast Asian nation who's been greatly influenced by China (East Asia). Just because a nation is deeply influenced by another doesn't mean it belongs to the same region :-). The United States is deeply Euro-centric but it doesn't make the U.S. an European nation :-)

I agree with you!!! Yeah doesn't mean a country is influenced by another doesn't mean they belong to the same region................No doubt Vietnam belongs to Southeastasia!!!

+Quote Post
Ek-ek
post Dec 26 2003, 09:52 PM
Post #6

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Southeast Asian Country!

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Dec 27 2003, 03:16 AM
Post #7

AF Elite
Group Icon

Just so you all know, Vietnam is part of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations).

+Quote Post
therra
post Dec 27 2003, 04:37 AM
Post #8

AF Fan
Group Icon

racially, they're mixed with east asians and natives. the majority of them are un-mongoloid(east asians)

it is disturbing that people still don't know what they are saying-- Racially? i think ethinically is the word you are looking for. Racial implies the difference among asian, black, white, hispanic, and indians. Ethincity refers to the differences among groups such as german, jews, english, etc. in a racial line. And if east asians are "un-mongoloid," then they are also aliens from outer space.

I careless if Vietnam is a Middle Eastern Country. As long it has its own identity as a nation then that's all it should matter. it's better to be recognized than to lump with the term "East Asian." When one of my friend told some white dude he came from Korea, the white guy replied, "what part of China?" Hence, for you to switch from China to East Asia by having a parenthesis is no different. besides, which country doesn't get "greately influenced by China"? No doubt that U.S is not a European Nation and so is Canada, but have you heard of NATO? The fact is of the matter is you can't argue which country is which base on the Names they belong to.

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Dec 27 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #9

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (therra)
I careless if Vietnam is a Middle Eastern Country. As long it has its own identity as a nation then that's all it should matter.

Read the title of the topic. If you don't care whether Vietnam is a Southeast nation or not then why are you here?

QUOTE (therra)
it's better to be recognized than to lump with the term "East Asian".

But Vietnam is not even East Asian, it's Southeast Asian.

QUOTE (therra)
When one of my friend told some white dude he came from Korea, the white guy replied, "what part of China?" Hence, for you to switch from China to East Asia by having a parenthesis is no different.

Most Caucasians I've met are educated and knowledgeable enough to at least tell the difference between China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam. I can't say the same about your friend.

QUOTE (therra)
besides, which country doesn't get "greately influenced by China"?

Many. Just in Asia alone, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos... etc. The only three existing nations today that was GREATLY influenced by China are Japan, Korea, and Vietnam.

QUOTE (therra)
No doubt that U.S is not a European Nation and so is Canada, but have you heard of NATO? The fact is of the matter is you can't argue which country is which base on the Names they belong to.

We're not talking about the people or culture of a nation. We're talking about the geographical location. Vietnam is definitely located in Southeast Asia.

+Quote Post
khachdatinh
post Dec 27 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #10

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (therra @ Dec 27 2003, 05:37 AM)
it is disturbing that people still don't know what they are saying-- Racially? i think ethinically is the word you are looking for. Racial implies the difference among asian, black, white, hispanic, and indians. Ethincity refers to the differences among groups such as german, jews, english, etc. in a racial line. And if east asians are "un-mongoloid," then they are also aliens from outer space.

"ethinically" is not a word.

+Quote Post
G2k1boy
post Dec 27 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #11

AF Geek
Group Icon

I think he meant ethnically.

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Dec 30 2003, 03:00 AM
Post #12

AF Elite
Group Icon

So we all agree that Vietnam is a Southeast Asian country then?

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post Jan 1 2004, 04:41 AM
Post #13

AF Elite
Group Icon

Agree long time ago....

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Jan 1 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #14

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3 @ Jan 1 2004, 04:41 AM)
Agree long time ago....

Good.

+Quote Post
malay_ako
post Jan 6 2004, 01:42 AM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

Do you guys know the history of vietnam? how the vietnamese ethnicity gained the land they live on today? The Vietnamese ethnicity stole the land. They were invaders from the North.. Who owned the land before the viets? Chams, a malay people who lived in the central Vietnamese coastal region.. that is their ancestral land. And they continue to survive today as an ethnic minority in their own ancestral land and they also migrated elsewhere to places like hainan which they did along time ago when their kingdom was being ransacked by viets and others migrated to cambodia. They even had their own Kingdom called the Kingdom of Champa..but it eventually collasped because of repeated attacks from its neigboring kingdoms of cambodia and the viets who wanted to rise to power. the chams originally practiced a hindu-austronesian culture and built many temples and structures that can be seen today in vietnam. But today they are mostly converted to islam.

Who owned South vietnam? Cambodians. They called that land Kampuchea Krom or Cambodia below. This land was given to the Vietnamese ethncity by the French.

Im not sure but i think the vietnamese were originally from china. or part of what is now North Vietnam. But they struggled for independence and formed their own nation. and eventually migrated south and conquered the kingdom of champa and gained possesion of Khmer Krom, that i know for sure.

The aqqusition of Champa land happened a while back but i think the aqqusition of khmer krom happened more recently.. but i dont really know much about khmer krom. only about The Champa because they are my austronesian/malay brother. One of the Malay Kingdoms of the World.

check this site out, its a Cham online community, it basically has the same layout as this site:

HTTP://WWW.CHAMYOUTH.COM

This post has been edited by malay_ako: Jan 6 2004, 05:51 AM

+Quote Post
WhoAmI
post Jan 11 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #16

AF Addict
Group Icon

Vietnam is BOTH. it can be grouped either way. Who says it can only be in one group? and besides it depends on what your talking about.

As a country and nation it is Southeast asian. Definetly, because well... its located in Southeast Asia duh. and its part of ASEAN!! cool30.gif

If you are talking about culture than it is grouped as East Asian. Vietnam is the only country in southeast asia that is Confucious, uses chopsticks traditionally, practices Mahayana buddhism instead of Therevada, have east asian architecture etc etc etc.... so it wouldnt make sense to say its southeast asian. i think because of this Vietnam has had a lot of conflicts with other countries like thailand cambodia in the past. kind of a cultural clash. and vietnam is considered to be part of the East asian cultural family along with japan, korea, china, taiwan and singapore.

Anyways. heres another example: Egypt is an African country because it is located in Africa. But most of the time, because of its culture, it is associated with the middle east/west asian/arab countries.

so yeah vietnam is both.

And yes Vietnam's southern lands were conquered territories which practiced different cultures but were over run by Vietnamese eastern influence.

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Jan 15 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #17

AF Elite
Group Icon

Singapore is considered an East Asian nation culturally?

Although Chinese seems to be the dominate ethnic in Singapore, there are many other ethnics including Indians and Arabs.

+Quote Post
supernovasp
post Jan 16 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #18

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

QUOTE (malay_ako @ Jan 6 2004, 02:42 AM)
Who owned South vietnam? Cambodians. They called that land Kampuchea Krom or Cambodia below. This land was given to the Vietnamese ethncity by the French.

Im not sure but i think the vietnamese were originally from china. or part of what is now North Vietnam. But they struggled for independence and formed their own nation. and eventually migrated south and conquered the kingdom of champa and gained possesion of Khmer Krom, that i know for sure.

not really,the land was occupied before the french officially colonize it... That's why Nguyen lords told the Ming supporters (after got defeated by Manchu) to settle of the land.

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Jan 16 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #19

AF Elite
Group Icon

Throughout history, the powerful expands while the weak either perish or move away from their native land. It's a fact and it includes every race on this planet.

+Quote Post
Kambolizhuz
post Jan 23 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #20

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (supernovasp @ Jan 16 2004, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (malay_ako @ Jan 6 2004, 02:42 AM)

not really,the land was occupied before the french officially colonize it... That's why Nguyen lords told the Ming supporters (after got defeated by Manchu) to settle of the land.

Well before the French came the Khmer Empire did own it, in fact it all of southeast Asia.
The the Tai(Thai) and ananam(can't spell)-Viets came from southern China around the 1200s C.E. and Vietnamese was a little later.
I am part Khmer-Krom and my ancestors live in current south vietnam a lot longer the the Vietnamese. in frenchhttp://www.kh.refer.org/cbodg_ct/archive/chandy/images/empire.gif
http://alpha.montclair.edu/~lebelp/KhmerEmpire.jpg
http://www.angkorvat.com/map/PlempireK1.jpg
Get smaller and smaller

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 05:38 PM