AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Western and Eastern: different standards of Asian beauty??
mya89
post Apr 3 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #1

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hey boys and girls, I'm new on here! Here's an issue I've been increasingly noticing..

Ok, so years of living in a Western country have led me to believe that there are two standards of Asian beauty: one for Asians, one for some Westerners (especially ones who are "into" the Asian look). Is the Westerner's brainwashing solely down to the media (with celebs like Lucy Liu), or they just simply have a fetish for the "common" Asian look?

But do you believe this phenomea is real? Why do you think this is? icon_wink.gif

This post has been edited by mya89: Apr 5 2011, 10:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bach
post Apr 3 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #2

AF Addict
Group Icon

Yellow fever is a rare exception. One thing about exception is that it follows no rule ...

+Quote Post
txoomsuab2
post Apr 3 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

i get what ur saying and it's funny because when we show pics of asians that look like different from what is generalized in the media people accuse us of hating ourselves and trying to change our looks comon now that person is narrow minded because asians r diverse

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 3 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #4

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (txoomsuab2 @ Apr 3 2011, 07:49 PM) *
i get what ur saying and it's funny because when we show pics of asians that look like different from what is generalized in the media people accuse us of hating ourselves and trying to change our looks comon now that person is narrow minded because asians r diverse

hating ourselves? whoa. strong statement for somebody to think that of us asians! they just really don't know what's what tbh.
but i'm not being paranoid right? this is a genuine phenomena that relates to SOME westerner views..surely not all of them are so brainwashed? icon_sad.gif humph

This post has been edited by mya89: Apr 3 2011, 03:03 PM

+Quote Post
ClassicalMusic
post Apr 3 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

Characteristic

+Quote Post
Yer
post Apr 3 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

Western people with yellow fever seem not to be able to tell between different kinds of Asian looks.
But in general they seem to think more markedly "Asian" features are unique or something. On the other hand, for Asians, they're just ordinary.
A woman like Lucy Liu, a Westerner might say she looks exotic, but an Easterner might say she looks like a country farm wife. embarassedlaugh.gif

The two girls don't really look that different. The first girl has that wide-face look, which isn't attractive in either hemisphere.

This post has been edited by Yer: Apr 3 2011, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
InitialDJay
post Apr 4 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #7

AF Elite
Group Icon

well if you're a beggar, does it matter if you are a chooser or not? embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 4 2011, 05:06 AM
Post #8

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (InitialDJay @ Apr 4 2011, 06:16 AM) *
well if you're a beggar, does it matter if you are a chooser or not? embarassedlaugh.gif

icon_smile.gif tehee, are you refering to those Asian Fever dudes? I think they are a little bit, yeah.

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 4 2011, 05:12 AM
Post #9

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Yer @ Apr 4 2011, 05:43 AM) *
Western people with yellow fever seem not to be able to tell between different kinds of Asian looks.
But in general they seem to think more markedly "Asian" features are unique or something. On the other hand, for Asians, they're just ordinary.
A woman like Lucy Liu, a Westerner might say she looks exotic, but an Easterner might say she looks like a country farm wife. embarassedlaugh.gif

The two girls don't really look that different. The first girl has that wide-face look, which isn't attractive in either hemisphere.

yes you're absolutely right, that's exactly what I was saying. What is common and considered ugly in Asian culture, these people who are into Asian features prefer. I guess it's only expected cus they like "that" look but if they went to an East Asian country, they'd notice that it's incredibly common but I doubt they'd change their perception of what's attractive though! embarassedlaugh.gif (Luci Liu=country farm wife? biggrin.gif hahaha)

erm, though I think the two girls look very different! lol But I think the difference with beauty standards is apparent with the (some) Asian Fever dudes who may find the first girl attractive even though we'd agree to disagree

This post has been edited by mya89: Apr 4 2011, 07:24 AM

+Quote Post
txoomsuab2
post Apr 4 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (mya89 @ Apr 3 2011, 02:07 PM) *
hating ourselves? whoa. strong statement for somebody to think that of us asians! they just really don't know what's what tbh.
but i'm not being paranoid right? this is a genuine phenomena that relates to SOME westerner views..surely not all of them are so brainwashed? icon_sad.gif humph

trust me most of them r brainwashed

+Quote Post
ReginaRae
post Apr 5 2011, 03:08 AM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

So because Westerners find natural Asian beauty to be attractive, this means they like "common" looks?

You know, you could just say that the East favors Asian women that have Caucasian like features. Because that's all you're really saying here.

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 5 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #12

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (ReginaRae @ Apr 5 2011, 09:08 AM) *
So because Westerners find natural Asian beauty to be attractive, this means they like "common" looks?

You know, you could just say that the East favors Asian women that have Caucasian like features. Because that's all you're really saying here.

Hi there, thanks for your comment. Can I just clarify it's not what I'm personally saying here even though that is the case in Asian countries. I'm saying is that they think what is a common look in Asian countries is very attractive, whereas by definition that should be just plain. Same with any other country. People find Megan Fox or Jessica Alba extremely beautiful because they don't look like the average Joe on the street. Therefore these guys have a different standard of Asian preference to Asians. Which is the title of the thread.
And it's like how most Asians do not think much of Lucy liu.

I don't understand what you mean by "natural Asian beauty", because most of the Asian Fever-Asian couples I see (I'm talking about those who have a preference for Asians only, not every interacial couple), the Asian is actually very fake-looking and has huge amounts of makeup on and like, dyed brown hair or something.

In fact, if I'm being honest, all the natural Asian beauties I see are all with Asians so hurray for us.

It's like what Yer said "Western people with yellow fever seem not to be able to tell between different kinds of Asian looks." but we're referring to yellow feverers only.

This post has been edited by mya89: Apr 5 2011, 06:03 AM

+Quote Post
Potatosalad
post Apr 5 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (InitialDJay @ Apr 4 2011, 01:16 AM) *

hit nail on head. embarassedlaugh.gif

There's only one standard.

+Quote Post
chiuchimu
post Apr 5 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #14

AF Guru
Group Icon

I agree with the OP.

This forum has hundreds of pictures of cute girls and there is a consistency to what we Asians find attractive. Yet, the type of Asian girls that appear in Hollywood are totally different. America wants 'sex kitten' Asians with extremely slanted eyes.

I think it originated from American G.I.s and Asian prostitutes. That's were their image of the ideal Asian girl grew.

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 5 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (chiuchimu @ Apr 5 2011, 05:24 PM) *
I agree with the OP.

This forum has hundreds of pictures of cute girls and there is a consistency to what we Asians find attractive. Yet, the type of Asian girls that appear in Hollywood are totally different. America wants 'sex kitten' Asians with extremely slanted eyes.

I think it originated from American G.I.s and Asian prostitutes. That's were their image of the ideal Asian girl grew.

haha finally someone who is upfront and straight about the issue. I totally agree and like what you said about the consistency of what Asians find attractive. And yet, I'm sure some Westerners do see this but the ones I see on tv are always always just nasty and even trashy looking. And going back to what you said about media's portrayal of Asian prostitutes, it kind of makes sense? it's bad bawling.gif I mean I originally posted 2 pics of Asian girls on here as an example to show the difference (admittedly nobody knows that one of them is actually me), well I took them down now but I think the phenomena is alive and kicking in the West. which sucks for the way we are portrayed in the West. I mean, I'm not complaining about the way I look or anything, I'd much rather look like myself than somebody who exclusively appeals to Asian Fevereres only. but I mean, Lucy Liu/Bai Ling? oh man embarassedlaugh.gif I wish Zhang Ziyi would get more famous in the West, she's beautiful.

ps-what is with your Asian collage? it's kind of creepy :-p

This post has been edited by mya89: Apr 5 2011, 02:53 PM

+Quote Post
Taln
post Apr 5 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #16

AF Addict
Group Icon

I can see a lot of what been said, though it makes me curious (as one of those white westerners) which standard the Asian men I find attractive would fit.
I know that my Korean-American firends share my taste, but that may not be a good rating scale because they were raised here in America too.

+Quote Post
mya89
post Apr 5 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #17

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (Taln @ Apr 5 2011, 08:36 PM) *
I can see a lot of what been said, though it makes me curious (as one of those white westerners) which standard the Asian men I find attractive would fit.
I know that my Korean-American firends share my taste, but that may not be a good rating scale because they were raised here in America too.

Hey there, thanks for your comment. that's interesting because I don't think there are 2 standards when it comes to men in general. I assume most women like their man handsome and at least somewhat manly looking. With girls there's probably a wider taste range. If you share the same taste as your Korean-American friends then your taste probably does fit their culture's attractive paradigm.
I am raised in England but what I find attractive in Asians is still the same as Asians back home. So us multi-cultural pals definetely aren't brain washed by Western media!

This post has been edited by mya89: Apr 5 2011, 02:52 PM

+Quote Post
chiuchimu
post Apr 5 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #18

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (mya89 @ Apr 5 2011, 02:03 PM) *
but I mean, Lucy Liu/Bai Ling? oh man embarassedlaugh.gif I wish Zhang Ziyi would get more famous in the West, she's beautiful.

Anyone but Lucy Liu embarassedlaugh.gif

Some girls from the Idol group AKB48 icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
ReginaRae
post Apr 5 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

This post has been edited by ReginaRae: Sep 24 2011, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
Yer
post Apr 5 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #20

AF Pro
Group Icon

haha finally someone who is upfront and straight about the issue. I totally agree and like what you said about the consistency of what Asians find attractive. And yet, I'm sure some Westerners do see this but the ones I see on tv are always always just nasty and even trashy looking. And going back to what you said about media's portrayal of Asian prostitutes, it kind of makes sense? it's bad bawling.gif I mean I originally posted 2 pics of Asian girls on here as an example to show the difference (admittedly nobody knows that one of them is actually me), well I took them down now but I think the phenomena is alive and kicking in the West. which sucks for the way we are portrayed in the West. I mean, I'm not complaining about the way I look or anything, I'd much rather look like myself than somebody who exclusively appeals to Asian Fevereres only. but I mean, Lucy Liu/Bai Ling? oh man embarassedlaugh.gif I wish Zhang Ziyi would get more famous in the West, she's beautiful.

You mean these people?

How do they look any nastier than the white chicks on tv?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 04:19 PM