Jackie Chan to donate entire fortune to charity, leaves nothing to son
ChinaHKJapanTW
post Apr 5 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #1

AF Fan
Group Icon

Group: Members

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ent...1120531/1/.html

BEIJING: Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan revealed that he would donate all his assets to charity during an awards ceremony in Beijing on Thursday and would not leave a cent for his son, singer Jaycee Chan, reported Chinese media.

Chan, who already willed half his fortune to charity, expressed Thursday that his son will get nothing after he passes away.

"If he is capable, he can make his own money.

"If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money," said Chan.

Although the younger Chan received an award that night, his father was still not satisfied and regretted not pushing him to greater heights.

"I really regret not sending him into the army in the past, to give him more experience and temper his character," the 56-year-old star said.

He also took the opportunity to comment on recent rumours of his death in the tabloids, which had left the people around him in a tizzy.

"I am not dead, though I am so busy that I may get worked to death," said Chan. "I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value."

"Even Will Smith (Chan's Hollywood actor friend) was fooled [by the fake reports] and mourned my passing on the Internet."

Jaycee Chan also became extremely worried after hearing about the false reports and called his father just to make sure.

"My dad scolded me 'Do you wish I were dead?' That was when I knew it was all false," said the younger Chan.

-CNA/ha
----------------------------------------------------
How shocking embarassedlaugh.gif. I'm not sure if I believe it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
basketballjpc
post Apr 5 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #2

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (ChinaHKJapanTW @ Apr 5 2011, 11:39 PM) *
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ent...1120531/1/.html

BEIJING: Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan revealed that he would donate all his assets to charity during an awards ceremony in Beijing on Thursday and would not leave a cent for his son, singer Jaycee Chan, reported Chinese media.

Chan, who already willed half his fortune to charity, expressed Thursday that his son will get nothing after he passes away.

"If he is capable, he can make his own money.

"If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money," said Chan.

Although the younger Chan received an award that night, his father was still not satisfied and regretted not pushing him to greater heights.

"I really regret not sending him into the army in the past, to give him more experience and temper his character," the 56-year-old star said.

He also took the opportunity to comment on recent rumours of his death in the tabloids, which had left the people around him in a tizzy.

"I am not dead, though I am so busy that I may get worked to death," said Chan. "I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value."

"Even Will Smith (Chan's Hollywood actor friend) was fooled [by the fake reports] and mourned my passing on the Internet."

Jaycee Chan also became extremely worried after hearing about the false reports and called his father just to make sure.

"My dad scolded me 'Do you wish I were dead?' That was when I knew it was all false," said the younger Chan.

-CNA/ha
----------------------------------------------------
How shocking embarassedlaugh.gif. I'm not sure if I believe it

great decision and a great man!!!

+Quote Post
KraterosHellas
post Apr 5 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

i respect this guy. seriously

+Quote Post
InitialDJay
post Apr 5 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #4

AF Elite
Group Icon

wow truely a generous person. respect mr. nice guy

+Quote Post
Marrykate
post Apr 6 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

hmm ... mean daddy. icon_confused.gif

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Apr 6 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

Rather than spending his money to the charity, I prefer he use the money to invest in China movie industry. That one day, our movie industry will be as big and sophisticated as Hollywood.

A success may be came from a hardwork, but a big success came from a teamwork by developing a sophisticated management system that will last forever as long as possible. Jackie Chan's success came from his hardwork, but when he dies, all of his hardwork gone, there's nothing left for HK movie industry future. By investing in HK movie industry by developing a sophisticated movie industry management, HK success will last forever as long as possible although Jackie Chan dies a long time ago.

The other meaning of charity is giving money to lazy and incapable people. If Jacky's children aren't capable, so what is the different by giving the money to other incapable people too. Giving rice too starving people will make them feel full in short time. Once all the rice eaten, they will back starving.

Investing in HK movie industry is also a form of charity too. But it will be remembered and will make all Chinese people and his decedent proud.

+Quote Post
charizardpal
post Apr 6 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #7

AF Addict
Group Icon

Wonder if he'll donate his organs too.

+Quote Post
savethezombies
post Apr 6 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #8

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (charizardpal @ Apr 6 2011, 02:22 AM) *

well, that depends. would starving children in africa in organs?

+Quote Post
Suijen
post Apr 6 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #9

AF Legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (charizardpal @ Apr 6 2011, 03:22 PM) *

Good question actually, but the money's enough.

+Quote Post
ktoast
post Apr 6 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #10

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (savethezombies @ Apr 6 2011, 08:06 AM) *
well, that depends. would starving children in africa in organs?

Sorry?

+Quote Post
faydabakery
post Apr 6 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #11

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hugham @ Apr 6 2011, 01:47 AM) *
Rather than spending his money to the charity, I prefer he use the money to invest in China movie industry. That one day, our movie industry will be as big and sophisticated as Hollywood.

A success may be came from a hardwork, but a big success came from a teamwork by developing a sophisticated management system that will last forever as long as possible. Jackie Chan's success came from his hardwork, but when he dies, all of his hardwork gone, there's nothing left for HK movie industry future. By investing in HK movie industry by developing a sophisticated movie industry management, HK success will last forever as long as possible although Jackie Chan dies a long time ago.

The other meaning of charity is giving money to lazy and incapable people. If Jacky's children aren't capable, so what is the different by giving the money to other incapable people too. Giving rice too starving people will make them feel full in short time. Once all the rice eaten, they will back starving.

Investing in HK movie industry is also a form of charity too. But it will be remembered and will make all Chinese people and his decedent proud.

The Chinese movie industry is getting too crippled by piracy. That's one problem. Second is censorship, which narrows the range of movies that can be produced. Any depiction of real life hardships in China always seems to be met with government opposition. I think these two are the biggest problems. A compelling storyline with great written characters are keys to a great movie. Third, special effects (less important) which I think is what you are referring to when you compare the Chinese industry with Hollywood. I don't think Jackie investing in the industry would really change much.

+Quote Post
ClassicalMusic
post Apr 6 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

Best of luck to him

+Quote Post
millersdude
post Apr 6 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (faydabakery @ Apr 6 2011, 12:00 PM) *
The Chinese movie industry is getting too crippled by piracy. That's one problem. Second is censorship, which narrows the range of movies that can be produced. Any depiction of real life hardships in China always seems to be met with government opposition. I think these two are the biggest problems. A compelling storyline with great written characters are keys to a great movie. Third, special effects (less important) which I think is what you are referring to when you compare the Chinese industry with Hollywood. I don't think Jackie investing in the industry would really change much.

Have you watched any China movie last year? China produces approx. 500 films annually. Top gross domestic movies beat top gross foreign movies last years in China. China movie industry will be bigger than that of US within ten years. Most of HK film industry is relocated to Beijing and Shanghai. They are making movies for China now. That is why you don't see a lot of movies come from H.K. anymore. Have you seen the Karate Kid (2010)? There was a film company in Beijing financing it.

+Quote Post
faydabakery
post Apr 6 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #14

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (millersdude @ Apr 6 2011, 12:26 PM) *
Have you watched any China movie last year? China produces approx. 500 films annually. Top gross domestic movies beat top gross foreign movies last years in China. China movie industry will be bigger than that of US within ten years. Most of HK film industry is relocated to Beijing and Shanghai. They are making movies for China now. That is why you don't see a lot of movies come from H.K. anymore. Have you seen the Karate Kid (2010)? There was a film company in Beijing financing it.

I'm looking for quality. Not quantity. Hollywood and Bollywood make tons of movies too. There's a lot of garbage films in all that quantity too. It's about finding the true gems. I haven't seen any recent Chinese movies that I've really liked lately. Do you recommend any? I've been watching more Korean and Bollywood movies lately.

+Quote Post
LittleDeathAngel
post Apr 6 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #15

AF Addict
Group Icon

Damn. o_o

Who knew Jackie Chan didn't get along with his son?

+Quote Post
Taln
post Apr 6 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #16

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (millersdude @ Apr 6 2011, 11:26 AM) *

Yes, it is how Jackie has been contributing in another way to the Chinese film industry. Regardless of the quality of his films or where he makes them, he keeps Hollywood and and the U.S. connected at least in a small way to Chinese films, encouraging those in the industry in both countries to expand the genres using CHinese themes, actors and locations. And his donation of time and effort cannot be misused as easily as a flow of money.

+Quote Post
ClassicalMusic
post Apr 6 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

Way to go JACKIE

+Quote Post
kaizen
post Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #18

AF Guru
Group Icon

Do Jackie and his son have nasty relationship or something?

+Quote Post
DewDrop
post Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #19

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Once China develops further, she will improve the rule of law and intellectual property rights.

It's virtually assured.

Would you allow people to steal your $hit? It's great for an emerging economy as a means to close a 20-40 year gap, but once indigenous industries need to be breeded, you can be sure piracy will move to other places like Africa. For sure.

+Quote Post
ClassicalMusic
post Apr 6 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #20

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (DewDrop @ Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Once China develops further, she will improve the rule of law and intellectual property rights.

It's virtually assured.

Would you allow people to steal your $hit? It's great for an emerging economy as a means to close a 20-40 year gap, but once indigenous industries need to be breeded, you can be sure piracy will move to other places like Africa. For sure.

Property Rights Slows Down Science Innovation

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 05:07 AM