AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vintage photos of Cambodia (1950s and 1960s)
mushrooms
post May 2 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #1

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

Some of these are from King Suramarith's Coronation festivities

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mushrooms
post May 2 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

And some from the Water Festival

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post May 2 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #3

AF Legend
Group Icon

Is there any meaning in the differences between the hats? Only one lead dancer wears the high pointy one and the rest wear lower hats?

+Quote Post
thaiboy
post May 3 2011, 05:13 AM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (mushrooms @ May 2 2011, 11:32 PM) *

Who are them?

I want to ask when Cambodians did not wear Jong Ka beng in daily life.

I ever think Cambodian still wear Jong ka beng in daily life in 50-60 years ago.
But from your pics ,I don't see Cambodians wear Jongkabaen in normal life.I see they wear it only in royal ceremony.

In Thailand,people in royal court began to wear Pasin(long sarong for women) or skirt (not wear Jong kben) during King rama the VI(around WWI)
In Priminister Por Piboon Song kram period(around WWII ).
He force Thai men to wear trousers like westerner and force Thai women to wear western skirt or Pa Sin .

(The left side - Don't)
The right side -DO)

Thank you for share the beautiful pics

This post has been edited by thaiboy: May 3 2011, 12:17 PM

+Quote Post
mushrooms
post May 3 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

In the 1955, Prince Norodom Sihanouk abdicated so that he can go into politics and his parents can be King and Queen. That's King Norodom Suramarit and Queen Sisowath Kossamak.

I'm not sure when it changed. But it doesn't seem to all happen at the same time for all regions. Many of the folk dances were choreographed in the 1950s or around this time. For Phnom Penh/Kandal, the folk dances show them wear pants and sarong. But for folk dances from other region, it show them still wear kben sometimes (like in the coconut dance from Svay Rieng).

This post has been edited by mushrooms: May 3 2011, 11:30 AM

+Quote Post
thaiboy
post May 3 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (mushrooms @ May 3 2011, 11:14 PM) *
In the 1955, Prince Norodom Sihanouk abdicated so that he can go into politics and his parents can be King and Queen. That's King Norodom Suramarit and Queen Sisowath Kossamak.

I'm not sure when it changed. But it doesn't seem to all happen at the same time for all regions. Many of the folk dances were choreographed in the 1950s or around this time. For Phnom Penh/Kandal, the folk dances show them wear pants and sarong. But for folk dances from other region, it show them still wear kben sometimes (like in the coconut dance from Svay Rieng).

Thank you.

+Quote Post
trickystyle
post May 3 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ May 2 2011, 10:37 PM) *
Is there any meaning in the differences between the hats? Only one lead dancer wears the high pointy one and the rest wear lower hats?

they are hats, they are tiaras and crowns. the shorter ones usually implicate maidens non deity characters and the long spire crowns are usually to depict angels or royalty in classical dances.
QUOTE (thaiboy @ May 3 2011, 06:13 AM) *
Who are them?

I want to ask when Cambodians did not wear Jong Ka beng in daily life.

I ever think Cambodian still wear Jong ka beng in daily life in 50-60 years ago.
But from your pics ,I don't see Cambodians wear Jongkabaen in normal life.I see they wear it only in royal ceremony.

In Thailand,people in royal court began to wear Pasin(long sarong for women) or skirt (not wear Jong kben) during King rama the VI(around WWI)
In Priminister Por Piboon Song kram period(around WWII ).
He force Thai men to wear trousers like westerner and force Thai women to wear western skirt or Pa Sin .

(The left side - Don't)
The right side -DO)

Thank you for share the beautiful pics

you have to realize that the majority of those pics are taken in phnom penh only in the 50-60 which is the capital city. i think the jong kben style was worn mostly in the provinces. phnom penh was a modern city back in the 50-60's so western style of clothes would probably be the attire. but looking at todays styles, hardly anyone wears the jong kben style anymore, that style is usually reserved for special occasions such as weddings and royalty.

+Quote Post
mushrooms
post May 3 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #8

AF Pro
Group Icon

The tall crown is for queens and goddesses/angels, sometimes it is worn by princesses.
The smaller one in the pic is for princesses, angels, or special female character (could be non-royal but important in the story, or a personal servant).
The crown the little girl is wearing is the most simple one, and used by maidens and royal servants (in performances not in real life).

Here's more...

This post has been edited by mushrooms: May 3 2011, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post May 3 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #9

AF Legend
Group Icon

Thanks mushroom and trickystyle!!!

Personally I think the smaller crown is very pretty, a lot prettier than the pointy ones. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
trickystyle
post May 3 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ May 3 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Thanks mushroom and trickystyle!!!

Personally I think the smaller crown is very pretty, a lot prettier than the pointy ones. icon_smile.gif

you're welcome. i wish i stuck with my classical dance lessons.

+Quote Post
mushrooms
post May 3 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

Check out this pic Xigon. It seems there is some Vietnamese connection going on here. Some of these dancers look like they are really Viet (at least to me). And not to mention the lady wearing the ao dai.

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post May 3 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #12

AF Legend
Group Icon

^ Interesting.

BTW what kind of silk do you guys use to make the skirt? It seems very shiny and distinctive from the Lao and Thai ones.

+Quote Post
trickystyle
post May 3 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (mushrooms @ May 3 2011, 10:19 PM) *
Check out this pic Xigon. It seems there is some Vietnamese connection going on here. Some of these dancers look like they are really Viet (at least to me). And not to mention the lady wearing the ao dai.

classical dancers at the turn of the century used to paint their faces with alabaster if you look closely there are dancers with painted faces and without. that would explain the extreme pail skin and exaggerated faces.

but there is a vietnamese in the picture, guess where lol.

cambodians use golden silk vs. white silk. golden silk is very time consuming to make and very costly. white silk is mainly mass produced from china and india.

This post has been edited by trickystyle: May 3 2011, 09:47 PM

+Quote Post
mushrooms
post May 3 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

Tricky, I think Cambodia also has a unique variety of silkworm that produces a kind of really lustrous thread...

The Thai silk has pattern of mettalic thread that is more dense. Under low lighting it can appear matte. But under the right lighting, both Khmer and Thai silk are really lustrous. For some Khmer silk, there is two contrasting colors that really make it irridescent so it really shines no matter white.

This post has been edited by mushrooms: May 3 2011, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
planxty
post May 4 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #15

AF Addict
Group Icon

Fascinating to see the old pics.
I guess in decades to come, people and historians will look on Youtube and the videos there as some sort of cultural archive too.

+Quote Post
k82562131
post May 4 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #16

AF Addict
Group Icon

Nice pictures! Aren't those days referred to as the Cambodian Golden Era?

+Quote Post
trickystyle
post May 4 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (mushrooms @ May 4 2011, 12:02 AM) *
Tricky, I think Cambodia also has a unique variety of silkworm that produces a kind of really lustrous thread...

The Thai silk has pattern of mettalic thread that is more dense. Under low lighting it can appear matte. But under the right lighting, both Khmer and Thai silk are really lustrous. For some Khmer silk, there is two contrasting colors that really make it irridescent so it really shines no matter white.

you are right. Cambodia produces a local variant of silk worms found in Cambodia that produces yellow silk threads (golden silk).

the Khmer charabab and thai yiarabab are very similar to the malay/indonesian songket. my friend's father sent me three songkets from malaysia they are beautiful. all my lazy @$$ has to do is pick it up!

an example of songket from malaysia

+Quote Post
Marrykate
post May 4 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

^ very beautiful, yeah they are similar to Thai and Khmer silk but once you look at the pattern closely, you know right away they are not of Thai or Khmer's pattern. I guess those flower patterns are kind of unique to Malaysian. This is what I found in Thai forum, very interesting ...

This post has been edited by Marrykate: May 4 2011, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
noyume
post May 5 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

nice find! thanks for sharing! =)

+Quote Post
trickystyle
post May 5 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #20

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Marrykate @ May 4 2011, 09:23 PM) *
^ very beautiful, yeah they are similar to Thai and Khmer silk but once you look at the pattern closely, you know right away they are not of Thai or Khmer's pattern. I guess those flower patterns are kind of unique to Malaysian. This is what I found in Thai forum, very interesting ...

you are right. malay style is very full of floral motif. they really like their "pucuk rebung" pattern which is supposed to represent the bamboo shoots.

hey marykate do you have anymore information on khmer silk from thai forums? it is hard to find information on khmer silk.

This post has been edited by trickystyle: May 5 2011, 02:11 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 10:23 AM