AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Plastic surgery boom as Asians seek 'western' look, Chinese and Korean patients tell me want to have faces like America
myolinewu
post May 23 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #1

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Plastic surgery boom as Asians seek 'western' look
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/...dex.html?hpt=C1
CNN) -- Lee Min kyong stretches on the ballet bar in the dance studio. The 12-year old is a little awkward and nervous in front of strangers, until the music begins.
Min-kyong moves to the classical tune, springing easily onto her toes, the very picture of childhood grace and poise. But when the music stops, she falls back into an awkward stance.
She lacks confidence, explains Min-kyong's mother, a problem she hopes will be solved when her pre-teen undergoes plastic surgery, to westernize her eyes.

"If I get the surgery, my eyes will look bigger," explains Min-kyong. Everyone, she says, points out her small eyes. It's why she doesn't think she's a pretty girl. A surgery which cuts a fold into her eyelid to create a double fold will widen her eyes. The effect will also be to give her a slightly more western look.
What does plastic surgery mean to you?
Gallery: Teen's quest for 'prettier' face
"I'm excited. I think I'll look better than I do now," she says shyly, breaking into a small smile.
Her mother, Jang Hyu-hee, says her daughter didn't ask for the surgery.
"I'm having her do it," says Jang, "because I think it'll help her. This is a society where you have to be pretty to get ahead. She's my only daughter."
The definition of pretty, explains their plastic surgeon, is not the standard Asian face, but closer to a Caucasian face. Dr Kim Byung-gun is the head of Seoul, South Korea's biggest plastic surgery clinic, BK DongYang. The clinic is a dozen stories tall, with all of its operating rooms full on the day of Min kyong's surgery.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DOUBLEMINT
post May 23 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

Asians dont need huge eyes to look beautiful.

+Quote Post
tom2011
post May 23 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (myolinewu @ May 24 2011, 11:17 AM) *
Plastic surgery boom as Asians seek 'western' look
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/...dex.html?hpt=C1
CNN) -- Lee Min kyong stretches on the ballet bar in the dance studio. The 12-year old is a little awkward and nervous in front of strangers, until the music begins.
Min-kyong moves to the classical tune, springing easily onto her toes, the very picture of childhood grace and poise. But when the music stops, she falls back into an awkward stance.
She lacks confidence, explains Min-kyong's mother, a problem she hopes will be solved when her pre-teen undergoes plastic surgery, to westernize her eyes.

"If I get the surgery, my eyes will look bigger," explains Min-kyong. Everyone, she says, points out her small eyes. It's why she doesn't think she's a pretty girl. A surgery which cuts a fold into her eyelid to create a double fold will widen her eyes. The effect will also be to give her a slightly more western look.
What does plastic surgery mean to you?
Gallery: Teen's quest for 'prettier' face
"I'm excited. I think I'll look better than I do now," she says shyly, breaking into a small smile.
Her mother, Jang Hyu-hee, says her daughter didn't ask for the surgery.
"I'm having her do it," says Jang, "because I think it'll help her. This is a society where you have to be pretty to get ahead. She's my only daughter."
The definition of pretty, explains their plastic surgeon, is not the standard Asian face, but closer to a Caucasian face. Dr Kim Byung-gun is the head of Seoul, South Korea's biggest plastic surgery clinic, BK DongYang. The clinic is a dozen stories tall, with all of its operating rooms full on the day of Min kyong's surgery.

This post make it sound like 12 year olds routinely get plastic surgery in Korea. That's a lot of horse $hit. Yes EVEN IN KOREA, 12 year olds getting surgery is not looked upon as normal, nor is it really a common case. Any parents who do such a thing to their pre teen children have to have their heads examined.

+Quote Post
KraterosHellas
post May 23 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #4

AF Elite
Group Icon

asian women that go through plastic surgery do not look western at all. that's just a brainwashed notion. westerners have beady eyes, rough features and very poor skin quality. is that their model? i think not. the standard is more southern european/middle-eastern than anything else.

+Quote Post
tom2011
post May 23 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

I also have to question this "doctor" in this article when he supposedly says this:

A global ideal doesn't stop at the face, says dental surgeon Jung Hak. Dr Jung says he's been fighting a trend. Korean mothers who have been bringing in their toddlers to have the muscle under the tongue that connects it to the bottom of the mouth surgically snipped.

The belief, explains Dr Jung, is that it will help a Korean speak English more clearly. People from the Asia Pacific region have difficulty in pronouncing the "L" sound, says Dr Jung.

This was in the Korean news - about fiver years ago. It made the big headlines all over the news with horrified Korean readers asking what in the world is going on? But since then the procedure was discredited as doing absolutely nothing to improve the pronunciations while mutilating the children. It was discredited as child abuse and there were questions about who these doctors that are performing these procedures and what their ethics were, and the crazy parents who are doing this to their kids. I highly doubt any Koreans believe it to this day to the point that this procedure is that common as the article suggests. I think the author of the story doctored the interviews and relished a lot of the report. It's CNN.

This post has been edited by tom2011: May 23 2011, 09:47 PM

+Quote Post
Yer
post May 23 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

American "world" news: informing American citizenry on how the rest of the world want to be just like them.

+Quote Post
KochiGachi
post May 23 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

It's CNN, another American report on how Asian wanting to follow American.
How come getting double eyelid is trying to follow Western look?

The CNN reporter obviously abused the Korean surgeon's remark.

This post has been edited by KochiGachi: May 23 2011, 10:58 PM

+Quote Post
devils666
post May 23 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #8

AF Pro
Group Icon

This is bull$hit! I'm so sick and tired of western media brainwashing everyone into thinking their way. So when white people get nose reductions, cheek implants, lip injections, and tan it's not because they want to look black or Asian? Yet, when Asians want to look better suddenly it's because "we want to look white"?!

The only news about Asians is either how we're such a threat or how much we want to be White. Western media definitely has an agenda. I've been trying to tell you people about biased and untruthful western media is, and I hope now you believe me.

Kyung Lah and Eunice Yoon are the biggest Asian sellout whores on CNN.

FYI White people don't own a monopoly on double eyelids. Blacks, Hispanics, Indians, and other Asians ALL have big eyelids too. White people are such egomaniacs, white supremacy is still alive people!

This post has been edited by devils666: May 23 2011, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
rvsp
post May 23 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (devils666 @ May 23 2011, 11:10 PM) *
This is bull$hit! I'm so sick and tired of western media brainwashing everyone into thinking their way. So when white people get nose reductions, cheek implants, lip injections, and tan it's not because they want to look black or Asian? Yet, when Asians want to look better suddenly it's because "we want to look white"?!

Agreed.

When white women who have huge hawk noses like Barbara Streisand get nose reductions, no white media make a fuss about that. These white women didn't get nose reduction because they wanted be Asians. They just did it to make them satisfied. Why can't Asians do the same thing?

+Quote Post
doggyji
post May 23 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

While it is an extreme case in the report, it is not surprising since unlike other procedures, double eyelid surgery is allowed for very young ages. There have been similar reports about cosmetic surgery on kids in wealthy countries with developed entertainment strongly influencing teens such as the US and Japan.

160,000 U.S. Children Had Cosmetic Surgery in 2008

The recurring question is "are Asian girls trying to look more Western?" If you look at the ancient drawings of beauties from China, Japan or Korea, none of them show off big doe eyes. They still look very graceful. While I suspect the Asian beauty standards might have become somewhat hybridized by extensive Hollywood influences, the currently idealized Asian faces still naturally occur in Asian population. I’m certain that most Asian people will pick their aesthetically favorite (natural) Asian stars over white Hollywood stars.

This post has been edited by doggyji: May 23 2011, 11:30 PM

+Quote Post
devils666
post May 23 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (doggyji @ May 23 2011, 11:30 PM) *
While it is an extreme case in the report, it is not surprising since unlike other procedures, double eyelid surgery is allowed for very young ages. There have been similar reports about cosmetic surgery on kids in wealthy countries with developed entertainment strongly influencing teens such as the US and Japan.

160,000 U.S. Children Had Cosmetic Surgery in 2008

The recurring question is "are Asian girls trying to look more Western?" If you look at the ancient drawings of beauties from China, Japan or Korea, none of them show off big doe eyes. They still look very graceful. While I suspect the Asian beauty standards might have become somewhat hybridized by extensive Hollywood influences, the currently idealized Asian faces still naturally occur in Asian population. Iím certain that most Asian people will pick their aesthetically favorite (natural) Asian stars over white Hollywood stars.

Well hundreds of years ago in Europe White people preferred pale skin, low cheekbones, and small lips. Look at the mona lisa! Does that mean western media has been hybridized?

+Quote Post
doggyji
post May 23 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (devils666 @ May 24 2011, 12:38 AM) *
Well hundreds of years ago in Europe White people preferred pale skin, low cheekbones, and small lips. Look at the mona lisa! Does that mean western media has been hybridized?
I'm just trying to find the reason behind Asian girls' preference for big eyes since I don't think it has been that way all the time. What do you think is the reason?

+Quote Post
DOUBLEMINT
post May 23 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

^I blame the japanese,they started it.

+Quote Post
Zdrav
post May 23 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #14

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Big eyes and big noses? Asians are trying to look Arab!

+Quote Post
DOUBLEMINT
post May 24 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

Average-looking asians get surgery to look like pretty and attractive asians.Thats my understanding.

+Quote Post
Zdrav
post May 24 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #16

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Koreans have an isolation complex. My mom's generation got their international education from Hollywood movies, so it's no wonder they thought that America and white people were so wonderful. Consequently, they've passed these ideas down to their children.

Korea is practically at the edge of the world. Eastward, there's nothing but the Pacific Ocean, and westward, there's China, and then more China.

Koreans still have extremely naive and unsophisticated ideas about foreigners, which leads them to overly-idealize whites and demonize blacks. Even when abroad, Koreans tend to stick together which prevents them from associating with other peoples.

Korea, much like the American South, is a very tribalistic society and while it does have some benefits, I do wish we'd grow up.

+Quote Post
Boredom1
post May 24 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (Yer @ May 23 2011, 11:37 PM) *
American "world" news: informing American citizenry on how the rest of the world want to be just like them.

Absolutely

+Quote Post
devils666
post May 24 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Zdrav @ May 24 2011, 12:06 AM) *
Koreans have an isolation complex. My mom's generation got their international education from Hollywood movies, so it's no wonder they thought that America and white people were so wonderful. Consequently, they've passed these ideas down to their children.

Korea is practically at the edge of the world. Eastward, there's nothing but the Pacific Ocean, and westward, there's China, and then more China.

Koreans still have extremely naive and unsophisticated ideas about foreigners, which leads them to overly-idealize whites and demonize blacks. Even when abroad, Koreans tend to stick together which prevents them from associating with other peoples.

Korea, much like the American South, is a very tribalistic society and while it does have some benefits, I do wish we'd grow up.

Actually east of Korea is Japan.

+Quote Post
Zdrav
post May 24 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #19

AF Fiend
Group Icon

When Asians want to be tall, is that another symptom of wanting to be white? When Asian countries want to become industralized and wealthy, are they trying to be white?

These are serious questions. In fact, these types of questions continue to plague the Black American community because some in that community think that being law-abiding and getting along with white people is tantamount to being a race traitor.

While there are certain identity issues in Asian culture, we have to be careful as to not essentialize what is distinctly white and Asian. Or else, we'll end up in a scenario where only 4'11" egregiously slit-eyed hut-dwellers can ever be "true Asians".

+Quote Post
Boredom1
post May 24 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (DOUBLEMINT @ May 24 2011, 01:08 AM) *
Most asians are comfortable with who we are.I dont think many of asians would want to change our race.You cant just assume that.

I've never heard an Asian say he/she would like to be White.
Only Whites themselves think so.

Or does anybody know an Asian who wished to be a White?

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:07 PM