Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hyundai / Kia will outsell Toyota in the US for May, First time in history
Chan-Ho
post May 26 2011, 02:34 AM
Post #1

AF Guru
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hyundai/Kia will place first among foreign car companies in US sales, only after domestic brands, GM and Ford for the month of May.

Hyundai and Kia are this month expected to pull ahead of Toyota and Honda to become the third top-selling brands in the U.S. market after only GM and Ford.

Even more to the point, Hyundai and Kia are expected to be the only major brands with sales up versus April. According to the pricing-intelligence firm TrueCar, Hyundai and Kia combined will sell about 115,000 vehicles, just ahead of Chrysler and Nissan and behind GM (225,000) and Ford (188,000).

Though Hyundai and Kia have different company structures and sales operations in the U.S., they're both part of the same South Korean parent company, Hyundai Kia Automotive Group. Both brands have strong new product this year, including the all-new 2011 Hyundai Elantra, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, and 2011 Kia Optima.

Versus last April, total U.S. automotive sales are expected to be down 8.3 percent overall (with retail down 10.7 percent), to about 1.06 million vehicles, according to TrueCar's forecast.

Toyota and Honda are expected to take the biggest hit due in part to inventory shortages, as dealerships this month began to feel the effects of the March earthquake and tsunami. Toyota sales will likely be down more than 31 percent from April, while Honda sales will see more than a 25-percent decrease.

The supply shake-up leaves Hyundai and Kia, combined, with nearly an eleven-percent share of the U.S. market—also ranking about a half-percent higher than Chrysler. Last May, Hyundai and Kia had just a 7.3-percent share and were behind Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Chrysler.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10605...ahead-of-toyota

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/05/25/truec...011-in-the-u-s/

-------------

Mark my words, Hyundai is the new Samsung. I predict Hyundai will be the world's leading car manufacturer within 5 years.

This post has been edited by Chan-Ho: May 26 2011, 11:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KraterosHellas
post May 26 2011, 04:13 AM
Post #2

AF Elite
Group Icon

and u're proud of this??? do u think this is going to benefit korea??? mark MY WORDS, hyundai/kia will suffer the same fate as toyota (i.e. the media uproar over recalls) when south korea doesn't do as they're told by the US. i suspect the US is deliberately trying to promote hyundai sales in america so that south korea economy will become dependent on the US which they will take advantage of to pull strings on SK foreign policies. learn from japan, and avoid the trap that the US have laid for u. and remember that right now the world's most dangerous and insane man is in charge of the US and his name is brzezenski.

my advise to south korea government: i'm not sure exactly how much influence the government has over hyundai, but make sure ur policy-makers discourage hyundai sales in america and transfer those efforts to some other markets with NEUTRAL foreign interests and involvement (like china or brazil or even europe). US is not a safe market. do not be too thrilled about trading with the americans. i hope all the best for hyundai and the korean people. take heed of my sincere advise and u'll be rewarded.

+Quote Post
tom2011
post May 26 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

^ bunch of nonsense. You need your head examined.

Going back to the thread, yes, it's good to see this. But it's not really a fair fight due to Japan's production cuts due to the Tsunami and Nuclear disaster effects. The real numbers, we won't know until Japan gets back on its feet. I've read that Japan had a first trade deficit in 33 years, for the month of April - as their exports have shrunk considerably while their imports have climbed due to high oil prices.

But I think Hyundai/Kia will use this opportunity to establish themselves further at the expense of the Japanese who are currently hobbled. And I do believe Hyundai/KIA will overtake Toyota within about five years, it's only a matter of time. Look at Japanese maker's products - they're very stale with same old conservative styles. I think it mirrors their aged society. Old engineers will not take chances, they like sticking to the old ways. Where as, Hyundai/KIA have hired young guns from all over the world - it's a hungry company with big ambitions. Unlike Toyota and Honda who are isolated from the rest of the world, and comfortable sitting back and turning out the same machines that they made for years.

This post has been edited by tom2011: May 26 2011, 05:40 AM

+Quote Post
Chan-Ho
post May 26 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #4

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (KraterosHellas @ May 26 2011, 02:13 AM) *
and u're proud of this??? do u think this is going to benefit korea??? mark MY WORDS, hyundai/kia will suffer the same fate as toyota (i.e. the media uproar over recalls) when south korea doesn't do as they're told by the US. i suspect the US is deliberately trying to promote hyundai sales in america so that south korea economy will become dependent on the US which they will take advantage of to pull strings on SK foreign policies. learn from japan, and avoid the trap that the US have laid for u. and remember that right now the world's most dangerous and insane man is in charge of the US and his name is brzezenski.

my advise to south korea government: i'm not sure exactly how much influence the government has over hyundai, but make sure ur policy-makers discourage hyundai sales in america and transfer those efforts to some other markets with NEUTRAL foreign interests and involvement (like china or brazil or even europe). US is not a safe market. do not be too thrilled about trading with the americans. i hope all the best for hyundai and the korean people. take heed of my sincere advise and u'll be rewarded.

No worries, Hyundai has been kicking @$$ in other markets for a long time now. America is the only place that continues to hold "bias" against Hyundai cars. Hyundai is already the second largest in China and India and has already surpassed Toyota in Europe and Russia. Hyundai / Kia have been outselling Toyota in Canada for a couple years already.

Hyundai / Kia had surpassed Honda and Nissan in the world market for awhile now. They will possibly pass Toyota this year.

This post has been edited by Chan-Ho: May 26 2011, 11:42 AM

+Quote Post
SkyBurial
post May 26 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #5

AF Addict
Group Icon

Deja vu.
I swear I read this article three times now...

+Quote Post
rvsp
post May 26 2011, 03:03 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

Hyundai is also going to expand Alabama plant.

May 18, Automotive News

Hyundai To Invest $173 Million To Expand Alabama Auto Facility

Hyundai plans to expand engine production capacity by investing $173 million in its Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama facility. The expansion will increase engine capacity by 300,000 units annually and create 214 new jobs.

The Montgomery, Alabama factory will add production of the “Nu” 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, which is used in the 2011 Hyundai Elantra. It will also provide increased capacity for assembly of the “Theta” 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine used in the Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, and Kia Sorento. The expansion should be completed by fall 2011 and Nu-series engine production should begin by March 2012

HMMA currently builds the Elantra and Sonata, as well as the “Theta” series of engines. The Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento, and Kia Optima are built at the Kia Motor Manufacturing Georgia plant in West Point, Georgia.

The move will help Hyundai keep up with demand for its fuel-efficient vehicles. According to AN, Hyundai may consider opening a new plant somewhere in the southern U.S. to provide even more capacity. Possible locations include sites in Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina.

+Quote Post
Campers
post May 26 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #7

AF Fan
Group Icon

I think that Hyundai will definitely join the groups of world class cars pretty soon.

Previouslly, Hyundai's and even Kia's were considered to be junk cars. Now they are pretty good.

It's just that Americans in general have a bias against Korean guys, and still buy into the stereotype.

I drive a Hyundai Sonata, and it sure drives better than any American car or a Toyota Camry.

+Quote Post
KochiGachi
post May 26 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #8

AF Pro
Group Icon

KraterosHellas doesn't realize Hyundai cars are No.1 selling imported cars in Iran right now.

+Quote Post
bronze941
post May 26 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #9

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (KochiGachi @ May 26 2011, 06:30 PM) *
KraterosHellas doesn't realize Hyundai cars are No.1 selling imported cars in Iran right now.

Isn't it too obvious?

+Quote Post
ElapsePride
post May 26 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #10

AF Addict
Group Icon

Korea is becoming next Japan I guess. Dunno how Japan will be like in the future.

+Quote Post
KraterosHellas
post May 26 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #11

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (KochiGachi @ May 26 2011, 07:30 PM) *

i didn't know that. i'm GLAD hyundai is doing so well over the world, i hope they continue to suceed and make records. what i'm NOT happy about is the fact that they're doing well in america. i think this is a dangerous gamble. reread my previous post and think caefully, it will make sense to u folks soon enough.

+Quote Post
CouncilOfTheExec...
post May 26 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

banned

This post has been edited by Jasel: May 27 2011, 09:23 AM

+Quote Post
bronze941
post May 26 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #13

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Welcome back Spearman. The same old things. You are so predictable.

+Quote Post
Captain Corea
post May 26 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #14

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (CouncilOfTheExecutor @ May 27 2011, 12:10 PM) *
It has forigners working and sucking up our profits because it was imposed on us. THese are not traits of an EMPIRE.
S.Korea needs a revolution no bull$hit. A purge is in order.

Why Do I doubt you're even Korean?

As to the OP; that's cool news. It's obvious that Hyundai has really stepped up its game over the past few years. Good on 'em.

+Quote Post
rvsp
post May 27 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

When Toyota was first introduced to the U.S. market 50 years ago, it used to be called "TOY" car by most consumers until Toyota tremendously improved the quality.

The Excel, The first Hyundai car introduced to U.S. in 1986 was the second cheapest car after YOGO which doesn't exist any more. When that cheap image stuck in to consumers' memory, it takes some time to change their mind.

Although Hyundai now makes luxurious cars such as Genesis and EQUUS, they are still focused on fuel efficient mid size cars in U.S. market at the moment because they are more competitive.

Most Korean cars such as Sonata, Elantra, Tucson, Sorento, Optima all got high ratings from JCPowers, Consumers Guide and Motor Trend review based on safety, value, fuel efficiency, quality, styling etc.

Check out 2012 Hyundai Genesis Prada

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/genesis/...-in-the-us.html

This post has been edited by rvsp: May 28 2011, 09:35 AM

+Quote Post
Chan-Ho
post May 28 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #16

AF Guru
Group Icon

Hyundai's Success in U.S. Fueled by Aggressive Marketing
A new Lexus sedan sold in the U.S. comes with an 1,100-page user's manual. But a new Hyundai Equus sedan comes with an electronic user's manual on a free iPad, which can also be used to book free service pickups and deliveries. And while the Equus is being fixed, Hyundai lends the owner a Genesis sedan at no cost.

Hyundai's aggressive marketing is playing a huge role in the carmaker's sizzling performance in the U.S. market. Its assurance buy-back program, which was launched in 2009 and allowed customers to return their new cars if they lost their jobs, was an entirely new idea.

Aimed at soothing the fears of U.S. consumers hit by the global financial crisis, the program was chosen as one of the best advertising efforts of the year by the Wall Street Journal in 2009. Only 350 customers returned their cars under the program by the time it ended last month. It was a major advertising success that significantly boosted Hyundai's image at very little cost.

Beth Comstock, the chief marketing officer of GE, called Hyundai's efforts during the financial crisis "fearless." She wrote on her Internet blog that while most companies cut back on marketing costs during crises, Hyundai succeeded through very aggressive marketing, and recommended others to benchmark the automaker.

+Quote Post
WideAwake
post May 28 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #17

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chan-Ho @ May 28 2011, 12:21 PM) *
Beth Comstock, the chief marketing officer of GE, called Hyundai's efforts during the financial crisis "fearless." She wrote on her Internet blog that while most companies cut back on marketing costs during crises, Hyundai succeeded through very aggressive marketing, and recommended others to benchmark the automaker.

I know that quite a few Korean companies do this as well like Samsung. That's how they came to dominate the Russian and Indian market. They invest when competitors flee during a down economy and dominate the market. When the economy recovers, they receive the great benefits of such strategic planning. They are the first non-Japanese electronics company to have good selling products in Japan.

+Quote Post
samnang
post May 28 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #18

AF Guru
Group Icon

my mom has a hyundai

+Quote Post
devils666
post May 28 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

Learn from the past. Do not celebrate a neighbors suffering - even if they are Japanese. Most likely you will have the same fate. Do not think that Koreans won't be faced with the same unfairness and racism that the US gave to Japan.

That's why I'm so frustrated with Asians - we constantly pull each other down and sellout for the West. It's like a bunch of lobsters in a bucket pulling other lobsters down trying to crawl up.

This post has been edited by devils666: May 28 2011, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post
Chan-Ho
post May 28 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #20

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (devils666 @ May 28 2011, 01:17 PM) *
Learn from the past. Do not celebrate a neighbors suffering - even if they are Japanese. Most likely you will have the same fate. Do not think that Koreans won't be faced with the same unfairness and racism that the US gave to Japan.

That's why I'm so frustrated with Asians - we constantly pull each other down and sellout for the West. It's like a bunch of lobsters in a bucket pulling other lobsters down trying to crawl up.

Stop with the QQing. The reason South Korea has been given the opportunity to achieve so much is partially because of the West. There's no reason why Korea has anything to feel but appreciation. China, on the other hand, has done nothing but hold Koreans down... I mean, just look at the $hithole of North Korea, that's what you get for allying with China.

This post has been edited by Chan-Ho: May 28 2011, 05:29 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:35 PM