Reply to this topicStart new topic
Importance of having a son?
SemperFidelis
post Jan 18 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #1

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Why do people still place importance on having male children to the point where they abort females or they continue having kids until they have a son?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
samnang
post Jan 18 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #2

AF Guru
Group Icon

Trailer to an upcoming documentary about the practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=ISme5-9orR0

In India, China and many other parts of the world today, girls are killed, aborted and abandoned simply because they are girls. The United Nations estimates as many as 200 million girls(1) are missing in the world today because of this so-called “gendercide”.

Girls who survive infancy are often subject to neglect, and many grow up to face extreme violence and even death at the hands of their own husbands or other family members.

The war against girls is rooted in centuries-old tradition and sustained by deeply ingrained cultural dynamics which, in combination with government policies, accelerate the elimination of girls.

Shot on location in India and China, It’s a Girl! explores the issue. It asks why this is happening, and why so little is being done to save girls and women.

The film tells the stories of abandoned and trafficked girls, of women who suffer extreme dowry-related violence, of brave mothers fighting to save their daughters’ lives, and of other mothers who would kill for a son. Global experts and grassroots activists put the stories in context and advocate different paths towards change, while collectively lamenting the lack of any truly effective action against this injustice.

When I have children, I'll have no gender preferences. All I'd want is for my child to be perfectly healthy (i.e. no deformities, no diseases, good genes, etc).

This post has been edited by samnang: Jan 18 2012, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
AsiaticGlory
post Jan 18 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

Having a daughter in a post-industrial society is actually easier on you since women seem to do better in school. In our modern society, success is correlated with education. With the exception of engineering, most academic fields are dominated by women.

In the past, sons were useful because they had the physical strength to hunt, farm, and protect the family. Those male advantages don't mean as much in the modern world. Regardless people should just focus on having healthy children.

This post has been edited by AsiaticGlory: Jan 18 2012, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
samnang
post Jan 18 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #4

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Jan 18 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Having a daughter in a post-industrial society is actually easier on you since women seem to do better in school. In our modern society, success is correlated with education. With the exception of engineering, most academic fields are dominated by women.

In the past, sons were useful because they had the physical strength to hunt, farm, and protect the family. Those male advantages don't mean as much in the modern world. Regardless people should just focus on having healthy children.

Unfortunately, the practice is being brought to places like Canada by immigrants who refuse to abandon their backwards third world mentalities.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/111629...y-over-feticide

Dr. Rajendra Kale says the problem of female feticide in Canada is relatively small compared to countries such as India and China where the practice happens “by the millions.” But, he adds, research has shown female feticide is undoubtedly happening in Canada — and therefore rules should be put in place to stop the “evil” practice.

Jyotika Hussain, 29, is seen playing with her daughter, Inaaya (8 months) in their Mississauga home. Jyotika wanted to find out the sex of her baby when she was pregnant to plan clothes and the nursery colours, but an ultra-sound technician either couldn't or wouldn't tell her the sex of the baby.

Good on that ultra-sound technition. Anyone with a South Asian or Chinese name should be told to GTFO.

For once, racial profiling and discrimination is appropriate!

This post has been edited by samnang: Jan 18 2012, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
SkyBurial
post Jan 18 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #5

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (samnang @ Jan 18 2012, 05:05 PM) *
Good on that ultra-sound technition. Anyone with a South Asian or Chinese name should be told to GTFO.

That's silly. In China's case, female infanticide is because of the one-child policy. Even with a preference for a son, they might decide to have babies until they get a son rather than killing the baby in places outside of China.

+Quote Post
AsiaticGlory
post Jan 18 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (samnang @ Jan 18 2012, 04:05 PM) *

I support Chinese immigration. They will help build an overseas Asian society. Most of the new Asian immigrants are either from China or Vietnam. The rest of the Mongoloid countries are either developed (Japan) or too sparsely populated to send immigrants (Mongolia).

+Quote Post
butlerana
post Jan 18 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

I will smile to these.

+Quote Post
SemperFidelis
post Jan 19 2012, 06:26 AM
Post #8

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (samnang @ Jan 19 2012, 03:27 AM) *
Trailer to an upcoming documentary about the practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=ISme5-9orR0

When I have children, I'll have no gender preferences. All I'd want is for my child to be perfectly healthy (i.e. no deformities, no diseases, good genes, etc).

Whoa she laughed about straggling 8 of her daughters. will definitely watch the full doco

I too have no preference. Theres no reason I cannot teach my daughters how to fix cars and do what is usually seen as male specific tasks much the same as I would teach my son(s) how to cook/clean/sew/iron because I'd like them to be self sufficient

QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Jan 19 2012, 03:32 AM) *

Hunting and farming are not restricted to men, women also had the capacity to do that work. It was more of a social thing barrier stopping them.

QUOTE (SkyBurial @ Jan 19 2012, 04:32 AM) *
That's silly. In China's case, female infanticide is because of the one-child policy. Even with a preference for a son, they might decide to have babies until they get a son rather than killing the baby in places outside of China.

I'd blame the attitudes of the people and not the one child policy. If men and women were viewed as equal, then families would be happy with either gender children

+Quote Post
asianplayer
post Feb 16 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #9

AF Fan
Group Icon

these asian family who think that having a son is better is fking pissing me off. WHY keep having boys ? what will happen when in 20 years when they grow up and couldn't get marry because of limited supplies.
unless they selfish family want their son to grow up bing GAY.

.. we need more females to even out the supplies.

for me, I dont care if it a boy or girl. as long as it is healthy and smart.

This post has been edited by asianplayer: Feb 16 2012, 05:09 PM

+Quote Post
asianplayer
post Feb 16 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #10

AF Fan
Group Icon

But most of asian family who perfer a son are either born in Communism Country or third world country like India. These family have Conservative ideology which is STUPID. hahahaha. The west are more liberal.
these type of asian family have no brain and dont think in the long run. If they are rich family, then it is good to have a son. If your family is poor, having a son is gonna give him mentally ill since when he grow up , he couldn't find a wife. he will commit rape, or crime to get his needs.
hahaha..

still if you are in the super rich, then I have nothing to say about u.

+Quote Post
skylin
post Jun 9 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

No importance at all, not in this day and age.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:56 AM