Taiwanese film nominated for Oscar 2012!, Top 5 "Best Foreign Language Film"
Trias1991
post Jan 19 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #1

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Group: Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submi...n_Language_Film

Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale - Taiwan (The trailer looks very promising)

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyz7VjsaTBo

Plot: During the Japanese rule of Taiwan since 1895, the Seediq nation of Taiwanese aborigines were forced to lose their own culture and give up their faith. Men were subject to harsh labor and kept from traditional hunting; whereas women had to serve the Japanese policemen and their families by doing the household work and giving up their traditional weaving work. Above all, they were forbidden to tattoo their faces. And these tattoos were seen as the Seediq's traditional belief to transform themselves into Seediq Bale ("real men"). Mona Rudao, the protagonist, witnessed the repression by the Japanese over a period of 30 years.
Sometime between autumn and winter 1930, when the slave labor is at its harshest, a young Seediq couple are married and a joyful party is thrown. At the same time, a newly appointed Japanese policeman goes on his inspection tour to this tribe. Mona Rudao's first son, Tado Mona, offers wine to the policeman with gusto, but is in return beaten up because his hands were considered not clean enough. With anger, Tado Mona and his brother Baso Mona attack the policeman. And from that day onward, their tribe is living in the shadow of being the object of revenge by the Japanese.
In a few days, a group of youth surround Mona Rudao. They strongly request him to lead the retaliation against the Japanese. Mona Rudao struggles for a long time between extending his fellow's lives and fighting back for dignity, until he sees these youngster's faces - clear without Seediq's tattoos - that he made up his mind. He tells the youngsters, "Japanese troops out-number the stones in Dakusui River, more intensive than the leaves in the forest, but my determination fighting them is ever stronger than Mt. Kire."
"Children! On the tip of the Rainbow Bridge led to home of our ancestor's spirits, there is another beautiful hunting range. Our ancestors are all there! Remember, only brave spirits can enter this place, and we can never lose it. My fellows, let us hunt the heads of our enemies, and we wash our spirits with blood so that we walk the Rainbow Bridge to be always with our ancestors."
The film Seediq Bale depicts the Wushe Incident, which occurred in central Taiwan during the Japanese rule. When the Seediq Bale, believing in the Rainbow, and the Japanese, believing in the Sun, met one another, they fought. The leader of Seediq Bale, Mona Rudao, led 300 warriors fighting against 3000 Japanese troopers.

Zhang Yimouīs masterpiece FAILED! bawling.gif bawling.gif bawling.gif

This post has been edited by Trias1991: Jan 20 2012, 07:58 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mid-Night_Sun
post Jan 19 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

congrats to taiwan being the only asian country who made the jan shortlist.

+Quote Post
Trias1991
post Jan 20 2012, 08:02 AM
Post #3

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mid-Night_Sun @ Jan 19 2012, 09:58 PM) *
congrats to taiwan being the only asian country who made the jan shortlist.

Nope, Iranīs and Israelīs representatives are nominated in the top 5 as well. Asia dominates this time with 3 nominees. The other 2 are from Belgium and Morocco.

+Quote Post
Mid-Night_Sun
post Jan 20 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #4

AF Supreme
Group Icon

if you call an iranian or jew asian you are dumber than i thought. neither of those two groups identify with being asian nor are they recognized as such on a wide scale.

course im not going to argue with semantics. Taiwan is still the only country in Asia that made it not counting the middle east.

also theres 9 in the shortlist for january. where did you get top 5...

"The shortlist will be winnowed down to the five nominees by specially invited committees in New York and Los Angeles. They will spend Friday, January 20, through Sunday, January 22, viewing three films each day and then casting their ballots. "

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120118.html

in fact this list means nothing. it isnt the 5 yet. meaning not only was this pointless, but you made up a top 5 that they didnt even pick yet. way to research.

This post has been edited by Mid-Night_Sun: Jan 20 2012, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
devils666
post Jan 20 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mid-Night_Sun @ Jan 20 2012, 11:39 AM) *
if you call an iranian or jew asian you are dumber than i thought.

Don't mind him, he's probably a neocon/zionist stooge.

Either way, what's with all these anti-japanese movies coming from Asia? I guess the west just loves Asian on Asian hatred....even if that means targeting their "friend" Japan.

+Quote Post
Mid-Night_Sun
post Jan 20 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #6

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (devils666 @ Jan 20 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Don't mind him, he's probably a neocon/zionist stooge.

Either way, what's with all these anti-japanese movies coming from Asia? I guess the west just loves Asian on Asian hatred....even if that means targeting their "friend" Japan.

no hes a viet. which is funny because ill bet anything he wouldnt even bother with the list if it werent for China since i dont think viet have ever won anything at oscar or in film in general. definitely dont have or ever did any significant presence in asian film.

This post has been edited by Mid-Night_Sun: Jan 20 2012, 10:58 AM

+Quote Post
Trias1991
post Jan 20 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #7

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mid-Night_Sun @ Jan 20 2012, 10:39 AM) *
if you call an iranian or jew asian you are dumber than i thought. neither of those two groups identify with being asian nor are they recognized as such on a wide scale.

course im not going to argue with semantics. Taiwan is still the only country in Asia that made it not counting the middle east.

also theres 9 in the shortlist for january. where did you get top 5...

"The shortlist will be winnowed down to the five nominees by specially invited committees in New York and Los Angeles. They will spend Friday, January 20, through Sunday, January 22, viewing three films each day and then casting their ballots. "

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120118.html

in fact this list means nothing. it isnt the 5 yet. meaning not only was this pointless, but you made up a top 5 that they didnt even pick yet. way to research.

LOL

I think you are the dumb one here. So tell me, to which continent do Iran and Israel belong to if not Asia? Are u gonna telling me that they are African countries? Or European?

And you do know that there is no continent called "Middle Eastern"?

Asian is not a racial term, but a geographical term. An "Asian" is eveyone living on the continent Asia.

Mongoloid is the racial term describing people from East Asia.

We are speaking of Asian, not Mongoloid here.

embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

This post has been edited by Trias1991: Jan 20 2012, 11:38 AM

+Quote Post
Mid-Night_Sun
post Jan 20 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #8

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trias1991 @ Jan 20 2012, 02:36 PM) *
LOL

I think you are the dumb one here. So tell me, to which continent do Iran and Israel belong to if not Asia? Are u gonna telling me that they are African countries? Or European?

And you do know that there is no continent called "Middle Eastern"?

Asian is not a racial term, but a geographical term. An "Asian" is eveyone living on the continent Asia.

Mongoloid is the racial term describing people from East Asia.

We are speaking of Asian, not Mongoloid here.

embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

africans and europeans are grouped with shared identities (that they actually acknowledge) that match with MY view of Asians, NOT YOURS.

but i told you im not going to argue with semantics. if you think in real life you are going to get away with calling arabs and russians asians then good for you. i really dont care.

+Quote Post
Trias1991
post Jan 20 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #9

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mid-Night_Sun @ Jan 20 2012, 12:44 PM) *
africans and europeans are grouped with shared identities (that they actually acknowledge) that match with MY view of Asians, NOT YOURS.

but i told you im not going to argue with semantics. if you think in real life you are going to get away with calling arabs and russians asians then good for you. i really dont care.

Thatīs not MY VIEW, check all the websites about geography, Iran and Israel are grouped in Asia, hence they are as Asian as others on the continent. You canīt argue with me about that, becuase its obvious that what you say is bull$hit. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
Mid-Night_Sun
post Jan 20 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #10

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trias1991 @ Jan 20 2012, 02:52 PM) *
Thatīs not MY VIEW, check all the websites about geography, Iran and Israel are grouped in Asia, hence they are as Asian as others on the continent. You canīt argue with me about that, becuase its obvious that what you say is bull$hit. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

what i said was based on real life. i can understand why that might be a problem for someone who makes things up. you just made up a top 5 oscar list that they just started the process of watching and picking today. you were never worth my time before this and even less now. so why did i post? well if you can figure it out you'd realize i already accomplished it. have a nice day.

+Quote Post
Yerroperil
post Jan 20 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

Don't bother arguing with that retard Trias1991, Mid-Night_Sun,after all he/she stated that Qing and Manchus aren't Chinese for some odd reason,its seems in my experience when Westerners talk about Asians they are talking about the East or South East Asian countries,afaik no one calls Jews Asians just Jews. When I watched the film in theaters in Taiwan it was in 2 parts was it condensed into 1 part?

This post has been edited by Yerroperil: Jan 20 2012, 12:19 PM

+Quote Post
Hugham
post Jan 23 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

The movie is even better than Saving Private Ryan.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 01:49 PM