AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Vietnamese are considered Northeast Asians?, Source: Magzine Publishers of America
SoCal
post Feb 11 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #1

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: Bronze AF Subscriber

http://www.magazine.org/content/files/mark...ofile_asian.pdf

Please see page 5.

Northeast Asians: People coming from countries such as China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea
and Vietnam, who share linguistic and religious similarities.

Southeast Asians: People coming from countries such as the Philippines, Malaysia,
Indonesia and Cambodia, who share a strong influence from the Portuguese, Spanish
and/or French.

South Asians: People coming from countries such as India, Pakistan and Bangladesh,
who are either Hindu or Muslim but share a strong British influence.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
wnch
post Feb 11 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #2

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

You dog

+Quote Post
Susuma
post Feb 11 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #3

AF Fan
Group Icon

If you ignore the geographical element, I think Vietnamese should be considered East Asian country.
I believe that most of Vietnamese (Kinh) were from north (South China today). So, not surprised if Vietnam is considered East Asia part when you talk about Market, culture is very important in market. Culture can effect to market strongly.

Maybe the document above ignored geographic in thinking.

With me, Vietnam can be either East Asia country (lifestyles, social, culture, people) and also Southeast Asia one (geographically), both of them ! beerchug.gif

QUOTE (SoCal @ Feb 11 2012, 11:29 AM) *
http://www.magazine.org/content/files/mark...ofile_asian.pdf

Please see page 5.

Northeast Asians: People coming from countries such as China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea
and Vietnam, who share linguistic and religious similarities.

Southeast Asians: People coming from countries such as the Philippines, Malaysia,
Indonesia and Cambodia, who share a strong influence from the Portuguese, Spanish
and/or French.

South Asians: People coming from countries such as India, Pakistan and Bangladesh,
who are either Hindu or Muslim but share a strong British influence.

+Quote Post
Susuma
post Feb 11 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #4

AF Fan
Group Icon

No, it's you, dog ! embarassedlaugh.gif

QUOTE (wnch @ Feb 11 2012, 12:50 PM) *
You dog

+Quote Post
Trias1991
post Feb 11 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #5

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Vietnam has always been an East Asian(Northeast Asian) country prior to the joining of ASEAN. But of course Vietnam remains an East Asian(NEA) country in terms of culture, lifestyle, brain, people....etc.

+Quote Post
Boron
post Feb 11 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #6

AF Addict
Group Icon

eastasia's dagger into southeastasia embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
ElapsePride
post Feb 11 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #7

AF Addict
Group Icon

Does it matter? you are who you are.

+Quote Post
AsiaticGlory
post Feb 12 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #8

AF Pro
Group Icon

Other than the overseas Chinese, I think Kinh Vietnamese are the most Mongoloid of all the Southeast Asians. Most Vietnamese today look like a mix of Mongoloid (Lake Baikal) and proto-Mongoloid (Austronesian). I would say Vietnamese are racially more like Taiwanese and Southern Chinese. In other words, they are Mongoloids who picked up some proto-Mongoloid mixture.

+Quote Post
gearofwar117
post Feb 12 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #9

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Feb 12 2012, 12:50 AM) *
Other than the overseas Chinese, I think Kinh Vietnamese are the most Mongoloid of all the Southeast Asians. Most Vietnamese today look like a mix of Mongoloid (Lake Baikal) and proto-Mongoloid (Austronesian). I would say Vietnamese are racially more like Taiwanese and Southern Chinese. In other words, they are Mongoloids who picked up some proto-Mongoloid mixture.

vnmese have a pretty big diversity of looks if you go toward the south. Funny thing is that the chinese, korean, filipino people i've met here asked me if i was korean then japanese and then they give the third guess if i was a chinese lol and then they couldn't move on further out of those 3 countries. This just shows how ignorant those people living in the north and in the east and people nowadays are, they always consider themselves to be different and thinking the people in southeast countries have a diffrentially unpreferred look compared to them. Vietnamese is so unfortunate to be located in this dimension between east and south east, being overgeneralized.

This post has been edited by gearofwar117: Feb 12 2012, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post
freeter
post Feb 12 2012, 02:25 AM
Post #10

AF Geek
Group Icon

Aren't you guys tired of this whole grouping talk?

Let's just take pride in who we are instead of what group we should belong to. The great thing of being alone by ourselves is nobody can drop in accusing us of wannabe this wannabe that.

I have been mistaken for many other far east groups, from Thai, to Burmese, to Chinese, ... Being mistaken as Burmese didn't anger me; being mistaken as Chinese didn't make me feel happy inside. In all cases, I only felt urged to correct others of my ethnicity.

+Quote Post
gearofwar117
post Feb 12 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #11

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (freeter @ Feb 12 2012, 02:25 AM) *
Aren't you guys tired of this whole grouping talk?

Let's just take pride in who we are instead of what group we should belong to. The great thing of being alone by ourselves is nobody can drop in accusing us of wannabe this wannabe that.

I have been mistaken for many other far east groups, from Thai, to Burmese, to Chinese, ... Being mistaken as Burmese didn't anger me; being mistaken as Chinese didn't make me feel happy inside. In all cases, I only felt urged to correct others of my ethnicity.

the point of this article is that we belong to North East asian group, not belong to any other countries and we are not the wannabe. Our identity is kind of blurred that's why we need to get it straight to people. I'm sure that you don't want to be generalized?

+Quote Post
freeter
post Feb 12 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #12

AF Geek
Group Icon

How are we North East Asian when even many parts of China themselves are not considered North East Asian? Beijing is Northeast, alright; but Hong Kong isn't. In general, Central and Southern China are considered to be part of East Asia, but they don't claim to be part of Northeast Asia.

Even when aware of the existing Southeast Asian Games, China and others still rallied and organized the East Asian Games instead of the Northeast Asian Games. To them, they are East Asians, and the existence of a Southeast Asia doesn't mean they have to become Northeast Asian.

At best you can argue that our culture resembles that of some East Asian countries. However, Northeast is too far off.

The article's criteria to align countries into different regions is too subjective and unconvincing, too.

- The similarities between Vietnamese and Chinese is superficial and limited to loan words only. The linguistic link to Korean and Japanese is even frailer.
- Also its criteria for grouping countries into the Southeast Asian group is these countries "share strong influence from Portuguese, Spanish and/or French". FAIL FAIL FAIL. Saved for maybe the Philippines, there are barely any traces of colonial cultures retained in these nations. Indonesia was in fact a colony of the Netherlands, which is not one of the three mentioned above. Furthermore, Indonesia is just as Dutch as Vietnam is French, by which I mean modern Indonesians are not Dutch at all.
+ Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar were British colonies. The article may as well group them into the South Asian groups.

This post has been edited by freeter: Feb 12 2012, 03:09 AM

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Feb 12 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #13

AF Legend
Group Icon

SoCal and his flame baits as usual.

gearofwar17 đầu óc có vấn đề embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
AsiaticGlory
post Feb 12 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (gearofwar117 @ Feb 12 2012, 12:06 AM) *
vnmese have a pretty big diversity of looks if you go toward the south. Funny thing is that the chinese, korean, filipino people i've met here asked me if i was korean then japanese and then they give the third guess if i was a chinese lol and then they couldn't move on further out of those 3 countries. This just shows how ignorant those people living in the north and in the east and people nowadays are, they always consider themselves to be different and thinking the people in southeast countries have a diffrentially unpreferred look compared to them. Vietnamese is so unfortunate to be located in this dimension between east and south east, being overgeneralized.

It's true. A lot of people from East Asia are ignorant of Southeast Asia's racial composition. For some reason, some of them think Southeast Asians are all Negritos even though Negritos were already displaced. There are even Koreans who think Chinese are Negritos. Even those proto-Mongoloid Austronesians are racially different from Negritos.

Vietnam is as Mongoloid as Taiwan.

+Quote Post
LonelyLeopard
post Feb 12 2012, 03:09 AM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Feb 12 2012, 03:04 AM) *
It's true. A lot of people from East Asia are ignorant of Southeast Asia's racial composition. For some reason, some of them think Southeast Asians are all Negritos even though Negritos were already displaced. There are even Koreans who think Chinese are Negritos. Even those proto-Mongoloid Austronesians are racially different from Negritos.

Vietnam is as Mongoloid as Taiwan.

my intuition tells me that you might be taiwanese, is that right?

so true...

+Quote Post
AsiaticGlory
post Feb 12 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (LonelyLeopard @ Feb 12 2012, 02:09 AM) *
my intuition tells me that you might be taiwanese, is that right?

so true...

Yes, I am. Though I already mentioned it several times.

+Quote Post
doggyji
post Feb 12 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

It's a common type of confusion that naturally arises for the countries located at the borders between two commonly distinguished geographic regions because people want to choose either for convenience in geography or official regional events/organizations. It's obviously not something inherent.

+Quote Post
LonelyLeopard
post Feb 12 2012, 03:19 AM
Post #18

AF Geek
Group Icon

i'm happy when someone recognised me as a Vietnamese, i have been mistaken as Japanese, Mongolian, Chinese,... but that didn't anger me at all..., i just don't feel very happy.

Thai and Burma isn't in the far east. embarassedlaugh.gif

base on the "stories about the origin of Viet" Vietnamese could be considered as East Asian, but after a long times of movement and migration, plus that we are now a member of ASEAN, its better for us to be SE.Asian than East Asian, though base on culture and people and origin, we are east asian...

I heard that Austronesian is a mix between Mongoloid and Negroid people, is it correct?

This post has been edited by LonelyLeopard: Feb 12 2012, 03:21 AM

+Quote Post
gearofwar117
post Feb 12 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #19

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (XigonCongchua @ Feb 12 2012, 03:01 AM) *
SoCal and his flame baits as usual.

gearofwar17 đầu óc có vấn đề embarassedlaugh.gif

why?

+Quote Post
XigonCongchua
post Feb 12 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #20

AF Legend
Group Icon

Btw lol, who are Kinh people?...there were lots of assimilation going on in Vietnam, maybe not as much with the Khmer because they hated us to their guts and not as much with the Hoa because they tend to isolate themselves socially...but Cham people were well integrated into Vietnamese society and became "Kinh"...okay even before Đại Việt conquered Champa there was a whole Cham community in Hanoi and you can bet intermarriages did occur pretty early...Most of you are ignoring a large part of Vietnamese people here...Ethnic Kinh/Vietnamese aren't just those with Đông Kinh ancestry, you forgot to take into account ethnic integration.

But really I hate people of both sides embarassedlaugh.gif You got both the EA and the SEA folks trying to deny Vietnamese of what they are. Chinese would call us SEA monkeys while Khmer and Lao would call us yellow down-syndrome ch!nks embarassedlaugh.gif It's sad, really. It's similar to the situation of Thai people. The Lao peeps call Thai ugly "Siamese" (though ironically, Lao themselves are heavily mixed with Khmer and Mon or Siam people too...yea so before anybody pointing finger at or labeling anyone, they should look at themselves in the mirror, or maybe check their DNA lol), while the Khmers call Thai primitive hill tribes from China. People do got problems, they would say whatever fits to "monopolize" their heritage or their look, and deny the other groups of what they truthfully are.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:52 PM