Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Lao, who are they, and where they came from?, Pre-Lan Xang kingdom
Buddhalove
post Jan 4 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #61

AF Legend
Group Icon

Group: Members

thai is too closed to the word "tai". What about don't call us siamese. would be OK.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Savan
post Jan 6 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #62

AF Supreme
Group Icon

New Vertu Cell Phone-Buy Vertu Gsm-Vertu Online Shop
http://www.vipluxuryphones.com/new-vertu-c...products_id/666

This post has been edited by Savan: Aug 23 2012, 04:29 AM

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 6 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #63

AF Legend
Group Icon

Western perspectives
Nippon = Japanese
Han = Chinese
Khmer = Cambodian

Lao perspectives
Japanese = Yee Poon
Cambodian = Kar Menh
Chinese = Jean
Viet = Keo
Hmong = Meo

I don't think is a derogatory? it has been going on for centuries.

+Quote Post
aithong
post Jan 6 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #64

AF Pro
Group Icon

According to Nungtinbao, the Tai speaking people of Southeastern China used to live in Lac Viet kingdom so does that mean that we should've been called viet? I believe the original Viet kingdom was called Nan Viet(south of Viet kingdom)?

+Quote Post
vietman
post Jan 7 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #65

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(Savan @ Jan 6 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]3407103[/snapback]
But how is "Keo" derogatory? I understand that you guys call yourselves Viet, but each country has her own name for her people. For example, Western countries refer to people living in Japan as "Japanese", but I'm sure the Japanese have their own name for themselves in the Japanese language. Lao people call ourselves "Lao", but Khmers refer to us as "Liev".

Do you think it's OK to call asians orientals? Even Hmong is not called Miao/Meo anymore. It can be percieved derogatory since it's too outdated and not right anymore considering Vietnam has been a country for longtime. Especially the context that is in.

+Quote Post
vietman
post Jan 7 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #66

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(aithong @ Jan 6 2008, 10:44 PM) [snapback]3407673[/snapback]
According to Nungtinbao, the Tai speaking people of Southeastern China used to live in Lac Viet kingdom so does that mean that we should've been called viet? I believe the original Viet kingdom was called Nan Viet(south of Viet kingdom)?

Viet in chinese is Yue. History books still use words like Baiyue, northern Yue, southern Yue, etc. They still use Yue to refer to people inhabited south of Yantze river. Yue is the progenitor of Tai peoples. There was no Laos or Zhuang back then. So ancestors of Lao, Zhuang, Tai, Viet were included in the Baiyue, the hundred yues.

+Quote Post
aithong
post Jan 7 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #67

AF Pro
Group Icon

From listening to some of Nungtinbao's audio files, the Viet people have almost the same accent as the Zhuangs except that Zhuangs speak Tai. I've read somewhere that Vietnamese language is mixed with Tai,mon kmher and Chinese. The Tai part is not very dominant because we dont understand any your language. I do know even Viet people are mixed with different ethnic groups also including the kmher.

+Quote Post
Savan
post Jan 7 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #68

AF Supreme
Group Icon

New Vertu Cell Phone-Buy Vertu Gsm-Vertu Online Shop
http://www.vipluxuryphones.com/new-vertu-c...products_id/666

This post has been edited by Savan: Aug 23 2012, 04:29 AM

+Quote Post
thamavong
post Jan 23 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #69

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(Savan @ Jan 7 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]3409724[/snapback]
No, I don't think it's okay to use the term oriental for Asian. Keo, however, isn't used in a derogatory way, at least I don't think it is. It just means Vietnamese in the Lao language...just like how Jeen means Chinese in the Lao/Thai language....I don't think the Chinese refer to themselves as "Jeen".

If another Lao person thinks Keo is derogatory, then please correct me. However, since I'm assuming that Vietman was brought up in Vietnamese culture, his perception of the term Keo may be different from ours.

Well since I m mixed with Chinese, Viet and Lao. I just want to be fair to all. I don't think we or you should call Viet = Keo. It's not a nice word according to Viet. We should respect one another and we should not insults one another.

+Quote Post
Manleow
post Jan 23 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #70

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(Savan @ Jan 7 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]3409724[/snapback]
No, I don't think it's okay to use the term oriental for Asian. Keo, however, isn't used in a derogatory way, at least I don't think it is. It just means Vietnamese in the Lao language...just like how Jeen means Chinese in the Lao/Thai language....I don't think the Chinese refer to themselves as "Jeen".

If another Lao person thinks Keo is derogatory, then please correct me. However, since I'm assuming that Vietman was brought up in Vietnamese culture, his perception of the term Keo may be different from ours.

I thought Jean was Jek?

my brother in law is thamavong, they are chinese/lao too, by the way, maybe some viet too, who knows.

+Quote Post
Buddhalove
post Jan 27 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #71

AF Legend
Group Icon

Manleow, are you viet/lao ?????

+Quote Post
babyshanker
post Jan 27 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #72

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(Manleow @ Jan 23 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]3445272[/snapback]
I thought Jean was Jek?

my brother in law is thamavong, they are chinese/lao too, by the way, maybe some viet too, who knows.

jeen is jek. is jek derogatory?

+Quote Post
Manleow
post Jan 28 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #73

AF Guru
Group Icon

Nice = Not nice term

Jean > Jek

??? > Khamen ( I dont know wat other name Lao call Khmer ppl?)

Viet = Geow

Lao Soung = Meow
(hmong)

And NO, im dont have any Viet Blood. Im Tai Yuan and Tai Vieng < even though i think my Tai Vieng side is not orginally Tai Vieng, most likely they come from somewhere from the north also.

I read somewhere, that Vietnamese is not a pure race, but a mix race of ppl.

+Quote Post
thamavong
post Feb 15 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #74

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(Manleow @ Jan 28 2008, 06:39 PM) [snapback]3456591[/snapback]
Nice = Not nice term

Jean > Jek

??? > Khamen ( I dont know wat other name Lao call Khmer ppl?)

Viet = Geow

Lao Soung = Meow
(hmong)

And NO, im dont have any Viet Blood. Im Tai Yuan and Tai Vieng < even though i think my Tai Vieng side is not orginally Tai Vieng, most likely they come from somewhere from the north also.

I read somewhere, that Vietnamese is not a pure race, but a mix race of ppl.

As most of us live in the 3rd world now. You all know well that most of us will not go back to Live in Laos for sure? Some might go back to live in Laos some day down the road? But who will go back?

We all became the 3rd world citizen now. We all are not much Laotian citizen any more. Most of us know that most of 3rd world peoples are mixed race, too. As you know some peoples in the 3rd world dont like our race, either. You all think you are Laotian 100% then you need to go back to read the original of this topic again. You keep being a racism then you need to be stop it. because you are racism yourself. If you are highly educate person then you know how to love everyone another. Laotian peoples are hard working, kind, honest, sweet, warm, friendly people with a heart of gold. If you are none of these, you are not true Laotian.

When I lived in Laos, most of my friends knew that I m mixed. But they never racism toward me. We never call each other by race. We were all get along fine. We all think that we were Laotian friends.

We all should respect one another here, too. Even though we do not know each other by face or meet each other in person.

HakPheng!

+Quote Post
aithong
post Feb 15 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #75

AF Pro
Group Icon

Thamavong, I know where you're coming from, man. When i was a kid in Viengchan, i dont remember Lao people questioning their own Laoness like here in America. My dad wasnt of Lao ethnicity but he blended right in with everyone in the neighborhood.

+Quote Post
Manleow
post Feb 19 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #76

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(thamavong @ Feb 15 2008, 08:38 AM) [snapback]3500174[/snapback]
As most of us live in the 3rd world now. You all know well that most of us will not go back to Live in Laos for sure? Some might go back to live in Laos some day down the road? But who will go back?

We all became the 3rd world citizen now. We all are not much Laotian citizen any more. Most of us know that most of 3rd world peoples are mixed race, too. As you know some peoples in the 3rd world dont like our race, either. You all think you are Laotian 100% then you need to go back to read the original of this topic again. You keep being a racism then you need to be stop it. because you are racism yourself. If you are highly educate person then you know how to love everyone another. Laotian peoples are hard working, kind, honest, sweet, warm, friendly people with a heart of gold. If you are none of these, you are not true Laotian.

When I lived in Laos, most of my friends knew that I m mixed. But they never racism toward me. We never call each other by race. We were all get along fine. We all think that we were Laotian friends.

We all should respect one another here, too. Even though we do not know each other by face or meet each other in person.

HakPheng!

Dont be so closed minded, Im Lao, thats who I am. I dont need to be anything else, i dont know how to be anything else, if i were, then i would just be lying to myself.

If i was half viet, then I would be half Viet, and i hope that i would be proud of my Viet roots also. i hope anyone would be proud of what ever ethnic background they are or apart of.

If my friend was half Viet, they are my friend no matter if they are half viet.

ur assumption is because i say im full Lao, is somehow insulting to someone who is not. That is where ur wrong, i hope u can adjust that attitude.

See, u are generalizing who Lao ppl are, not all lao ppl are hard working, kind, honest, sweet, warm, friendly people with a heart of gold. Being Lao is what flows in my blood is all i know. I wish all Lao ppl are who u say they are, but they are not, just as all ppl from all background, should not be judged just because they are from a certain ethnic group.

+Quote Post
thamavong
post Feb 20 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #77

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(Manleow @ Feb 19 2008, 09:38 PM) [snapback]3509982[/snapback]
Dont be so closed minded, Im Lao, thats who I am. I dont need to be anything else, i dont know how to be anything else, if i were, then i would just be lying to myself.

If i was half viet, then I would be half Viet, and i hope that i would be proud of my Viet roots also. i hope anyone would be proud of what ever ethnic background they are or apart of.

If my friend was half Viet, they are my friend no matter if they are half viet.

ur assumption is because i say im full Lao, is somehow insulting to someone who is not. That is where ur wrong, i hope u can adjust that attitude.

See, u are generalizing who Lao ppl are, not all lao ppl are hard working, kind, honest, sweet, warm, friendly people with a heart of gold. Being Lao is what flows in my blood is all i know. I wish all Lao ppl are who u say they are, but they are not, just as all ppl from all background, should not be judged just because they are from a certain ethnic group.

I read a lot of your posted in here. Your words are very rooth and racism. Because you wrote not too nice about viet = keo or chin = jek and so on. Unless you changed yourself and become a gentleman. I m very happy for you.

You really dont understand about mixed bloold if you are 100% Laotian Blood. I think you live in the U.S. or 3rd world country. You should know well that if you return to Laos. You are not Laotian anymore unless you live in Laos and you have a Laotian Citizenship. You are 3rd world citizenship now. Sure most of mixed people proud of their mix but they also want to protect them self because of racism. Because other problems might cause harm to them. Why do you think most mixed have a real Laotian name but not viet or chin name. Before 1975 or after 1975 a lot of peoples work for govenment offices are mixed. they want to be protect their identities for many reason. That's why you cant tell if they are mixed. Sure they said that they are 100% Laotian. why wouldnt they? they dont live in vietnam or in china.

Everywhere they have good peoples and bad peoples as you know. But if you are real Laotian, you should know that most of Laotian are hard working, kind, honest, sweet, warm, friendly people with a heart of gold. May be you grew up here and you dont know real Laotian peoples in Laos.

+Quote Post
aithong
post Feb 20 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #78

AF Pro
Group Icon

Thamavong, since me and you are in the same boat, why dont we just concentrate on doing our best to represent Lao people and our country of birth? we both were old enough when we left our country so we know how the real Lao people in Lao are really like.

+Quote Post
thamavong
post Feb 20 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #79

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(aithong @ Feb 20 2008, 10:20 AM) [snapback]3511353[/snapback]
Thamavong, since me and you are in the same boat, why dont we just concentrate on doing our best to represent Lao people and our country of birth? we both were old enough when we left our country so we know how the real Lao people in Lao are really like.

Aithong khop jai lai lai der. You are right, we are on the same boat for sure. We will do our best to represent Lao people and our country of birth for sure.

One of my friends went back to Laos for good 10 years ago. He was a computer programmers. He made close to 70K. Another went back 18 years ago. He was asking me if I would go back some day? I said may be when I retire? These two friends are doing well at Vieng Chan, Laos. I still have a lot a relatives live in Laos. Everytimes, I went home to visit, I went to LuangPraBang, too.

HakPheng

+Quote Post
aithong
post Feb 20 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #80

AF Pro
Group Icon

Yes, i plan on going back also. Maybe in 10 yrs if everything goes right. I'll be glad to go back for a visit at the end of this year tho.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 08:18 PM