Reply to this topicStart new topic
Typical Vietnamese profession?
supernovasp
post Jul 24 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #1

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

We're talking about the one who graduated from colleges.

They're either in computer science or in somekind of medical field..
Like my siblings. Talktohand.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VietGuy7
post Jul 24 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

I'd say that from 1975-1990, it was engineering. Viets are over-represented in engineering. Silicon Valley is still crawling with them.

From 1990 to 2005: Compsci, Medecine, Pharmacy, Engineering, Business.

From 2005 and the great beyond: Nail shops.
embarassedlaugh.gif2

Since all the good white collar jobs are going to India.

O, and World Poker Tour champs!
embarassedlaugh.gif

And AF mods!
rotflmao.gif

This post has been edited by VietGuy7: Jul 24 2005, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post
devilish
post Jul 24 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #3

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (supernovasp @ Jul 24 2005, 11:15 AM)

Yeah dude. Geeks alert.

Or mathematics, some of my friends major in that.

This post has been edited by devilish: Jul 24 2005, 09:11 PM

+Quote Post
supernovasp
post Jul 24 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #4

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (devilish @ Jul 24 2005, 09:08 PM)

Yeah dude. Geeks alert.

Devilish, i think we have met, but we didn't know it. Goddamn, we both lived in Fairfax, Virginia Talktohand.gif

+Quote Post
kunomchu
post Jul 24 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #5

AF Supreme
Group Icon

WTf you guys from Fairfax? I used to live in Newington. Went to Hayfield Secondary

This post has been edited by kunomchu: Jul 24 2005, 09:44 PM

+Quote Post
supernovasp
post Jul 24 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #6

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (kunomchu @ Jul 24 2005, 09:44 PM)
WTf you guys from Fairfax? I used to live in Newington. Went to Hayfield Secondary

where do you live now?

+Quote Post
devilish
post Jul 24 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #7

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (supernovasp @ Jul 24 2005, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (devilish @ Jul 24 2005, 09:08 PM)

Yeah dude. Geeks alert.

Devilish, i think we have met, but we didn't know it. Goddamn, we both lived in Fairfax, Virginia Talktohand.gif

Yeah, we probably walk pass each other in the Eden area but we just don't know it. embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
kunomchu
post Jul 24 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #8

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (supernovasp @ Jul 24 2005, 09:51 PM)

where do you live now?

I now live in Manassas in Prince william but I commute to George Mason U. All my friends are from fairfax tho.

+Quote Post
supernovasp
post Jul 25 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #9

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (kunomchu @ Jul 24 2005, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (supernovasp @ Jul 24 2005, 09:51 PM)

where do you live now?

I now live in Manassas in Prince william but I commute to George Mason U. All my friends are from fairfax tho.

Haha. I used to live there and my brother is graduating from George Mason this year embarassedlaugh.gif2

+Quote Post
a1ex1au850
post Jul 25 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #10

AF Fan
Group Icon

yeah not just viets but lots of asian going into the medical field...mostly pharmacy and pre-med. its such a joke really because even just at my school you meet 10 asians and 9 of them are like "im in pre-med im gonna be a doctor =D!". and you look talk to them and have a couple classes with them and plainly see they dont have a prayer to get to med school. i think asians do it for the money...honestly thats why im doing it, its good money and i hate science and math but im really good at it so why not. but others seem to think taht if you take a pre-med program then your in...yeah right. most of those dreamers flunk out once they hit organic chemistry...IF they even got out of bio 251 alive =P.

+Quote Post
VietGuy7
post Jul 25 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (a1ex1au850 @ Jul 25 2005, 01:43 PM)
yeah not just viets but lots of asian going into the medical field...mostly pharmacy and pre-med. its such a joke really because even just at my school you meet 10 asians and 9 of them are like "im in pre-med im gonna be a doctor =D!". and you look talk to them and have a couple classes with them and plainly see they dont have a prayer to get to med school. i think asians do it for the money...honestly thats why im doing it, its good money and i hate science and math but im really good at it so why not. but others seem to think taht if you take a pre-med program then your in...yeah right. most of those dreamers flunk out once they hit organic chemistry...IF they even got out of bio 251 alive =P.

The ave age of a first year med student is 25 years old. They usually have a masters degree too.

Asians, including Viets, are discriminated against when it comes to med school and elite school admissions. This is mostly due to the super competitive Chinese, Koreans and Asian Indians--who come to this country as the cream of the crop from their own home countries.

The white controlled educational system has for 2 decades now been inventing ways to keep Asians out. For example, the new SAT has a written section. Asians are known to lag behind whites a little on the English portion of the SAT, but beat whites on the math portion. The new writing portion only makes it more difficult for Asians--especially non Indian Asians.

For med schools and Ivy League schools, they have a sneaky formula for admissions. 70% white and 30% minority--which reflects the US white vs non-white population breakdown. Asians actually grab about 18-20% of the minority--even though blacks and latinos make up about 12.5% of the population each and Asians only 4%.

Viets don't get Affirmative Action, and still probably are significantly more likely to get in to med schools than non-Jewish/gentile whites. Jews actually take up about a staggering 30% of the med school positions, so they are even more over-represented. They are only 2% of the population. But then again, Jews also run the universities, medschools, and are the profs, etc. I wouldn't be surprise is Jews actually got preferential treatment.

This leaves only about 40% left of the total med school openings for non-Jewish whites who make up almost about 68% of the population. They are under-represented big time.

Asians are so dominant in undergrad education that they would take up far more than 20% of the med school positions--hence raise the bar and make people jump thru more hoops, which weeds out Asians at a higher rate than non-Asians: 25 years old, masters degree, extra curricular activities.

+Quote Post
a1ex1au850
post Jul 25 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #12

AF Fan
Group Icon

i dunno where you got that info but yeah its all probably true. but my point was simply that lots of asians go for med career and alotta them are just dreamin. like those air-head asian girls who spend more time of their looks than on their books...and those dumb asian guys who party every other day of the week and expect to get into med school

+Quote Post
VietGuy7
post Jul 25 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #13

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (a1ex1au850 @ Jul 25 2005, 02:55 PM)
i dunno where you got that info but yeah its all probably true. but my point was simply that lots of asians go for med career and alotta them are just dreamin. like those air-head asian girls who spend more time of their looks than on their books...and those dumb asian guys who party every other day of the week and expect to get into med school

But this is true across the board. I've had white friends who have had 4.0 and solid MCAT scores who had to go to get a masters before they got accepted--and in a no-name school too. The truth is any med school is now super prestigious, due to the intense competition in recent years. Getting in med school now is so many times more competitive than in the 1970's. I think that the show ER that started in the 1990's generated much of the increase intensity for Med wannabees.

Many who got into med school 20-30 years ago, would NOT make it in today. It's just not Viet pre-meds who are dreaming. And again, I'm pretty sure that Viets are more likely to get into med than whites in general, and in particular more than non-Jewish whites. The point is: Viets aren't doing that bad when it comes to med schools. And we don't even get Affirmative Action, but are more likely to be discriminated since all non-Affirmative Action Asians are.

This post has been edited by VietGuy7: Jul 25 2005, 08:40 PM

+Quote Post
chosenone22
post Jul 25 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

Nails Technician. Fobs rule this area.
College wise.
Vietnamese here are into engineering. Other then engineering it would be the medical field. Lots of Vietnamese doctors here. A little over represented compared to other ethnicities and minorities.

+Quote Post
ham_let
post Jul 25 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #15

AF Legend
Group Icon

fromt he outside looking in, i'd have to say people who work in nail salons. then of course, there are a lot of poker champs... embarassedlaugh.gif biggthumpup.gif

then of course there's engineering but i guess lots of asians in general are in this field. unless viets dominate it. i don't really know the statistics.

+Quote Post
Yu~ki
post Jul 25 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #16

AF Fan
Group Icon

nails

and engineering. like .. five of my uncles work at the same place

+Quote Post
chosenone22
post Jul 25 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (ham_let @ Jul 25 2005, 04:18 PM)
fromt he outside looking in, i'd have to say people who work in nail salons. then of course, there are a lot of poker champs... embarassedlaugh.gif  biggthumpup.gif

then of course there's engineering but i guess lots of asians in general are in this field. unless viets dominate it. i don't really know the statistics.

Yeah can't forget the poker champs. embarassedlaugh.gif2

+Quote Post
xxxSFxxx
post Jul 26 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (a1ex1au850 @ Jul 25 2005, 01:43 PM)

It's funny that you mention this because the opposite seems to apply to me. At my school, a lot of whites and Jews major in pre-med but none of them seem to have a chance in hell at admission. In my 1st year, I've only met 1 white person who seems to have a decent chance and it's my roommate. Med schools are pretigious and nice, but I really wonder if it's worth all the hassles.

+Quote Post
Da_Vince
post Jul 27 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

real estate agent, fashion designer

+Quote Post
UrbanPoet