Reply to this topicStart new topic
No Apology to "Comfort Women"
Kulong
post Feb 9 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #1

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Banned

Court rejects compensation demands of Taiwanese former sex slaves for Japan`s wartime army

Associated Press

-----------------------------

TOKYO (AP) - A Japanese court on Monday rejected demands for compensation and an official apology by seven Taiwanese women forced to serve as prostitutes for Japan`s army during World War II.

Tokyo High Court Justice Yoshinori Ishikawa upheld a lower court decision turning down the women`s demands for 70 million yen (US$662,000) in damages, court spokesman Katsuhiko Saito said.

The lower court said in its October 2002 ruling that Japanese and international laws do not allow individuals to seek such restitution.

The plaintiffs will appeal to the Supreme Court within two weeks, said their lawyer, Kunio Aitani. The women were also considering asking the International Criminal Court, the world`s only permanent war crimes tribunal based in The Hague, to rule on the matter, Aitani said.

The women, all in their 70s and 80s, first filed the suit in July 1999, claiming they had been forced to work in Japanese military brothels. Two of the nine original plaintiffs have since died.

"I want the Japanese government to regard us as human beings," said Lin Sheng Chug, 74, one of the plaintiffs.

Tokyo has acknowledged that its wartime army established brothels and forced thousands of women to work there, but it has refused to pay direct or official compensation to individuals. The government also says all wartime compensation claims were settled through postwar peace treaties.

Last March, Japan`s Supreme Court rejected an appeal from a group of South Korean women seeking redress for having been forced to provide sex to Japanese soldiers - a setback for dozens of other groups that have filed similar suits.

The United Nations` human rights committee has said Japan is accountable for wartime sex slavery and should officially apologize and compensate the victims.

Historians say as many as 200,000 women, mostly from Korea but also from the Philippines, Taiwan, China and the Netherlands, were forced into sexual slavery.

Japan set up a private fund in 1995 to help former sex slaves, but payments were made from private donations, not from the state, and many women have refused to accept the money.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digital Insanity
post Feb 9 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

Man, if the modern-day Japanese government still won't come clean on the issue, guess who'll gonna get the blame and the tab later on?

Future Japanese generations. icon_confused.gif sure.gif

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Feb 9 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (Digital Insanity @ Feb 9 2004, 07:20 PM)
Man, if the modern-day Japanese government still won't come clean on the issue, guess who'll gonna get the blame and the tab later on?

Future Japanese generations.  icon_confused.gif  sure.gif

You're absolutely correct. Already, so many Japanese youths feel like they're being blamed for something their ancestors did. I don't know about you all, but it seems like the older generation of Japanese who actually committed the crime isn't being responisble and are shifting the blames to their future generation.

I don't believe the current generation of Japanese should be blamed at all. However, the government is still responsible for apologizing and educate the Japanese youths about their ancestors' warcrimes. The government represents the people, no matter what generation.

This post has been edited by Kulong: Feb 9 2004, 07:27 PM

+Quote Post
tongbao_vince
post Feb 9 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

If the Germany government took responsibility of the actions of the Nazis, Japan can do the same.

It's actually funny how some Taiwanese extremists support Japanese invasion of Taiwan and want Taiwan to be part of Japan.

+Quote Post
直隸總督
post Feb 9 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

well, If Wokau government doesn't want to apologize, then its people should not whine about Chinese hostile attitude.

+Quote Post
Byron
post Feb 9 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #6

AF Elite
Group Icon

Why should the Japanese put it in their textbooks and crap? Many horrible incidents in history are always left out of textbooks, such as when China retreated from Vietnam they blew up schools,hospitals and other buildings because they were upset that they couldn't go any further than the border towns of Vietnam and they had so many casualities.

http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/99/.../pingxiang.html

"Having lost so many soldiers in taking the towns, the Chinese methodically blew up every building they could before withdrawing. Journalist Nayan Chanda, who visited the area shortly after the war, saw schools, hospitals, government buildings and houses all reduced to rubble."

But you don't see most of the Vietnamese arguing that the Chinese government about how to educate their kids about blowing up civilian buildings when you can't win a war and have to retreat. You should deal with it. Yes the Japanese committed horrible atrocities, but so has the Chinese,Vietnamese and practically everyone has.

This post has been edited by Byron: Feb 9 2004, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Feb 9 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #7

AF Elite
Group Icon

This is not even comparable.

There was never a "Massacre of Saigon" or even Vietnamese comfort women... icon_rolleyes.gif.

Leave your anti-Chinese hatred at the door along with your shoes please.

+Quote Post
Byron
post Feb 9 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #8

AF Elite
Group Icon

Haven't you ever heard of the My Lai Massacre which is a famous incident during the Vietnam war where U.S troops killed a whole village of innocent people. This incident was used by protestors in America a lot.

But now do you see Vietnamese people telling America right now to put in their textbooks about how awful the Americans were in the war? No most textbooks have America trying to liberate Vietnam from communism and stuff.

Fact is people try to forgive and forget wars, just like the Vietnamese people did during Bill Clinton's visit to Vietnam and most people on the streets in Vietnam were cheering for him and even shaking his hands. We don't cling to old hatreds about who did what in war and stuff and try to force American children to know what their ancestors did.

Hey and why are you saying I'm a hater? At least I don't call Chinese people savages and wish that they raped Vietnamese women so I can prove my point.

This post has been edited by Byron: Feb 9 2004, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Kulong
post Feb 9 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #9

AF Elite
Group Icon

QUOTE (Byron @ Feb 9 2004, 08:24 PM)
Haven't you ever heard of the My Lai Massacre which is a famous incident during the Vietnam war where U.S troops killed a whole village of innocent people.  This incident was used by protestors in America a lot.

But now do you see Vietnamese people telling America right now to put in their textbooks about how awful the Americans were in the war?  No most textbooks have America trying to liberate Vietnam from communism and stuff.

Fact is people try to forgive and forget wars, just like the Vietnamese people did during Bill Clinton's visit to Vietnam and most people on the streets in Vietnam were cheering for him and even shaking his hands.  We don't cling to old hatreds about who did what in war and stuff and try to force American children to know what their ancestors did.

Hey and why are you saying I'm a hater?  At least  I don't call Chinese people savages and wish that they raped Vietnamese women so I can prove my point.

Hahaha.... Bryon, you are the master of digression... embarassedlaugh.gif

You went from bashing China to bashing the U.S. sure.gif

Then in the end, you dish out another personal attack against me. The same one you've been using for at least five different posts if I may add. You're getting repetitive.

If you're unhappy about your people not being victimized enough, go and spread your propaganda. Bashing others won't help you.

---

BTW, you don't forget wars. If we do, we wouldn't remember any lessons we learned from World War I & II, and all the previous wars since the dawn of civilization.

This post has been edited by Kulong: Feb 9 2004, 08:29 PM

+Quote Post
Digital Insanity
post Feb 9 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #10

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kulong @ Feb 9 2004, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Insanity @ Feb 9 2004, 07:20 PM)

Future Japanese generations.  icon_confused.gif sure.gif

You're absolutely correct. Already, so many Japanese youths feel like they're being blamed for something their ancestors did. I don't know about you all, but it seems like the older generation of Japanese who actually committed the crime isn't being responisble and are shifting the blames to their future generation.

I don't believe the current generation of Japanese should be blamed at all. However, the government is still responsible for apologizing and educate the Japanese youths about their ancestors' warcrimes. The government represents the people, no matter what generation.

Kulong

There's one irony in life that I took and still take it to heart:

The sins of the parents will be paid by their children.

The issue is an example of it.

(Post Script: I'm well aware that I'm going off-topic, so let's go back to the current discussion).

+Quote Post
直隸總督
post Feb 9 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #11

AF Elite
Group Icon

Vietnam is a small country. It has kicked out all those who wanted to invade it. Vietnamese are brave and smart. People have been oppressing Vietnamese yet they still manage to defend their land.
that's all Byron wants to hear/read/see/think.

+Quote Post
tongbao_vince
post Feb 9 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

I dont' see how you can compare the deaths of 35 million Chinese under barbaric atrocities (anthrax, biological experiments, live bayonett practice) to a small Sino-Vietnam War. I'm sorry but WW2 is more influencial than the Sino-Vietnam War to both Japan and China. Byron, why don't you make your own thread about this issue instead of going off topic as you usually do.

+Quote Post
Byron
post Feb 9 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #13

AF Elite
Group Icon

Uh huh.

This post has been edited by Byron: Jan 11 2008, 02:46 PM

+Quote Post
tongbao_vince
post Feb 9 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

Well I do remember reading some posts here by Chinese people how the Jews overplayed the Holocaust. So how come Jews aren't allowed to talk about their suffering but the Chinese can?

Who says they aren't. The problem is that the Jewish holocaust is much more well known than the Chinese holocaust. The Jews lost 6 million people while China list 35 million yet you will find that 9/10 people know about the Jewish holocaust but not the Chinese one.

+Quote Post
Byron
post Feb 9 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #15

AF Elite
Group Icon

I don't know.

This post has been edited by Byron: Jan 11 2008, 02:46 PM

+Quote Post
tongbao_vince
post Feb 9 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

I was referring to how I read some posts here by the Chinese about how Jews are overrating the Holocaust and stuff. lol I even read in the other Chinese nationalist forum that Kulong goes to about how they want China to someday fund Muslim terrorist to get rid of Israel. I mean what has a Jew ever done to a Chinese to deserve such hatred?

Overrating the Holocaust is an opinion. It is not a racist remark so I don't see anything wrong with someone saying the Jews overrate the Holocaust. Also on CNA there are a few right winged members who oppose the Jews because of their heavy involvement in US politics (eventually leading to conflict with China) and their degrdation of morals and virtues of traditional society by promoting sex, race mixing, etc. Sometimes the words are out of humor and shouldn't be taken seriously. I suggest you discuss certain topics according to which forum you are currently posting on.

+Quote Post
Byron
post Feb 9 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #17

AF Elite
Group Icon

Sadly a lot of hatred against Jews are based on myths without any proof.

This post has been edited by Byron: Jan 11 2008, 02:45 PM

+Quote Post
tongbao_vince
post Feb 9 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

Are you sure the Jews promote sex and crap??? They are one of the most sex repressive people in the world. If you actually go into a real Jewish community, most girls are watched carefully by their parents and don't have sex until marriage. The Jewish population is only a few million, if they were promoting what you claimed then their population would be much more higher than what it is now.

Sadly a lot of hatred against Jews are based on myths without any proof. I really doubt Jews are somehow manipulating the U.S government to war on China.

Well only the extreme few. As I said, that is the idea expressed by some ring wingers and not myself. I have deep respect for the Jewish culture but nto Zionism. I believe these people get their 'evidence' for Jews promoting sex is through the media. Most of the big name Hollywood Producers, Actors and Directors are Jews, easily distinguished by their names. Many of them make chick flicks like American Pie and Save the Last Dance, etc.

Well your opinon is taken. But there is no solid evidence to support such a thing so it is better to be safe than sorry by being vigilant.

I suggest we end this topic because it is about Japanese War Crimes to Koreans, Taiwanese and Chinese. If you really want to discuss Jewish matters, make a new thread. :genius:

+Quote Post
Byron
post Feb 9 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #19

AF Elite
Group Icon

Ok I will not post in this topic anymore, unless someone here has something to say about me and my posts here.

This post has been edited by Byron: Feb 9 2004, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
Shadowblade
post Feb 10 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #20

AF Addict
Group Icon

oook...wierd topic....buh should dis b in the chinese section? shouldn;t it b in the j@p sec?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 01:36 PM