AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Malay, Malayalam, What's the difference?
ranmatatsumaru
post Mar 20 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #1

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hey, Malaysians. Sorry if I sound ignorant but what is the difference between Malay and Malayalam?
Also, I heard it rains on over 200 days of the year in Malaysia! Is that true? I love rain!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
huaren
post Mar 20 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #2

AF Pro
Group Icon

I live in Malaysia, and yes that is correct. Almost everyday raining in Malaysia. I am sorry but I cannot explain what's the meaning of Malayalam... May be you can try to do a search at the internet to see if it yield any result.

+Quote Post
naraku_bishounen
post Mar 20 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #3

AF Fan
Group Icon

yo..
malayalam is an indian dialect...malay is the national language of malaysia..they r similar in but name but other than that are totally different..

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Mar 20 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #4

AF Supreme
Group Icon

delete

This post has been edited by dalawapo: Jul 6 2005, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post
tqt
post Mar 20 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Validating

I think Malaysia, Phillippines, and Indonesia should merge into one big nation instead of dividing itself into factions like the European colonists wanted her to be.

+Quote Post
ranmatatsumaru
post Mar 20 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

I like the Malayalam writing system! But how is Malay written? Does it use the Latin alphabet?

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Mar 20 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #7

AF Supreme
Group Icon

delete

This post has been edited by dalawapo: Jul 6 2005, 12:40 AM

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Mar 20 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #8

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (ranmatatsumaru @ Mar 20 2004, 01:32 PM)
I like the Malayalam writing system! But how is Malay written? Does it use the Latin alphabet?

hmmmmm........................................

http://omniglot.com/writing/malayalam.htm

Origin
The Malayalam language first emerged as a separate language in about 1000 AD. The Malayalam alphabet gradually evolved from the the Tamil-Grantha script over a period of 600 years or so and didn't take on its current form until the 17th century.

Malayalam is also regularly written with a version of the Arabic script by Muslims in Singapore and Malaysia, and occasionally by Muslims in Kerala.

Im confused now naraku_bishounen. i never knew this about "Malayalam"

+Quote Post
ranmatatsumaru
post Mar 20 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

I thought about half of Malaysia's population was Muslim and the other half Buddhist. Am I misinformed?

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post Mar 20 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #10

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (ranmatatsumaru @ Mar 20 2004, 02:28 PM)
I thought about half of Malaysia's population was Muslim and the other half Buddhist. Am I misinformed?

i cant speak for malaysia because im not 100% knowledgable about her current history. but i believe malaysia is very multi-ethnic/cultural in terms of Malays being the practioners of Islam, Chinese being the practioners of Buddhism, and Indians being the practioners of Hinduism... Are there any Malaysians in AF who can tlak about their regional history?

Im assuming the identity for the inhabitants are:

"Malaysian Malays"
"Malaysian Chinese"
"Malaysian Indians"

?

+Quote Post
naraku_bishounen
post Mar 23 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #11

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (dalawapo @ Mar 20 2004, 02:27 PM)

Origin
The Malayalam language first emerged as a separate language in about 1000 AD. The Malayalam alphabet gradually evolved from the the Tamil-Grantha script over a period of 600 years or so and didn't take on its current form until the 17th century.

Malayalam is also regularly written with a version of the Arabic script by Muslims in Singapore and Malaysia, and occasionally by Muslims in Kerala.

i dun get it..wat do u find confusing?? icon_confused.gif

+Quote Post
ejay1
post May 18 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Banned

Oh Oh Its another malay reunification thread. embarassedlaugh.gif When will people learn that you can't reunify something that was never there. We already had three different countries before the europeans arrived. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post May 18 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #13

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (naraku_bishounen @ Mar 23 2004, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (dalawapo @ Mar 20 2004, 02:27 PM)

Origin

i dun get it..wat do u find confusing?? icon_confused.gif

well i thought malayalam was not related to malay in any way but merely the name sound similar.... but theen it says the language is spoken in malaysia....

but i can understand now since people travels and maybe malayalam speakers settled in penninsular malaysia.

+Quote Post
malaccan
post May 18 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #14

AF Guru
Group Icon

Oh, a thread concerning Malaysia, goody!

In Malaysia and in the past, the Malay language or bahasa Malaysia used to be written in the Arabic script, although the Roman alpahabets has been used in modern times. Many people (including me) still understand Malay written in Arabic script though. This Arabised Malay writing is known as Jawi. In southern Thailand, this is still the way Malay is written.

As far as I know, Malayalam is a language of southern India, which indeed is spoken by some of the Indian Malaysian community. However, by far the most widely spoken Indian language in Malaysia is Tamil.

So as far as the languages are concerned, Malay and Malayalam are two different languages altogether.

Well, some Indian Muslims in Malaysia and Singapore would therefore speak Malayalam (this might be their mother tongue) and Malay (the national language). The confusion arises when these Indian Muslims can be considered to be Malay. Let me explain.

Please note that this only occurs in Malaysia and Singapore, and not in the larger Malay family. So strong is the association of Islam to the Malay identity in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, that in many instance, Islam is what determines whether someone is Malay or not. Apart from being a Muslim, someone has to speak Malay and live a Malay lifestyle which almost anyone can learn. Being a Muslim is the main factor which makes it easy for any Asian Muslim to be accepted as a 'Malay'. Just as easy as the Chinese assimilated into Siamese culture, so too do Muslims of any Asian race become a Malay in Malaysia. There are many Malays in Malaysia and Singapore today who are obviously of Indian/Chinese/Arab ancestry, but are considered as Malay as a native of the islands of southeast Asia. In Brunei, the association between Islam and Malay is even greater. The national ideology is Melayu Islam Beraja, ie a Malay Muslim Sultanate.

There are more Chinese Christians than Chinese Muslims. There is also quite a big number of Indians who are Christians as well. And indeed, there are Malays who have converted to other religions as well. But essentially yeah, the Malays are Muslims, the Chinese are Confucian/Buddhist and the Indians are mostly Hindus. BUt to generalise too much about the different races in Malaysia is quite difficult. And we haven't even spoken yet about the other native races in Borneo, eg the Iban, kadazan, etc.

Ok Malaccan enuff for now. Shut it. :X

+Quote Post
Iron Malayan
post Jan 22 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #15

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (naraku_bishounen @ Mar 20 2004, 08:00 AM)
yo..
malayalam is an indian dialect...malay is the national language of malaysia..they r similar in but name but other than that are totally different..

That's right. Malayalam is spoken in the southern Indian state of Kerala and is not related to Malay.

+Quote Post
greg aditya
post Jul 8 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #16

AF Fiend
Group Icon

okay.......wow....u guys are terrible at explaining things laugh.gif ......okay....so here is the fact Talktohand.gif ....Malayalam are the people of kerala,a state in southern india....its not only a language....but its a culture itself.....malayalam people have a very huge difference from tamil people of tamil nadu state......and malayalee`s have certain family names behind them,indicating their caste,for
example - nair,menon,unni and so on........basically there are three states in the southern part of india...
in andhra pradesh,the people of telugu reside....in tamil nadu,the tamilians....and in kerala,the malayalee`s......and malayalam language roots from tamil language......wherelse,telugu language is totally different coz their language is more rooted to kannadam language,which is more towards aryan region...
icon_wink.gif well,any more question,just ask me........ biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ricochet
post Jul 11 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #17

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(greg aditya @ Jul 8 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]2031843[/snapback]

okay.......wow....u guys are terrible at explaining things laugh.gif ......okay....so here is the fact Talktohand.gif ....Malayalam are the people of kerala,a state in southern india....its not only a language....but its a culture itself.....malayalam people have a very huge difference from tamil people of tamil nadu state......and malayalee`s have certain family names behind them,indicating their caste,for
example - nair,menon,unni and so on........basically there are three states in the southern part of india...
in andhra pradesh,the people of telugu reside....in tamil nadu,the tamilians....and in kerala,the malayalee`s......and malayalam language roots from tamil language......wherelse,telugu language is totally different coz their language is more rooted to kannadam language,which is more towards aryan region...
icon_wink.gif well,any more question,just ask me........ biggrin.gif

ah say.....finally....greg is the man....hope you becum our system administrator man! kudos. all others are real sotong.....and gonggong

+Quote Post
Nusantara
post Jul 11 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Banned

There are no relation between Malay and Malayalam, that's enough to explain.

+Quote Post
Protoculture
post Jul 13 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #19

AF Pro
Group Icon

Malayalam, a sub ethnic of South Indians.

Malay, an ethnic or racial group that dominated Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Phillippines, South Thailand, several parts of Cambodia & Vietnam ...

+Quote Post
triplex
post Aug 18 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #20

AF Fiend
Group Icon

actually, malay is widely known as a race that inhabit malaysia and indonesia.but, malay can also be described as a big ethnic family that consist of malay(itself), javanese, minangkabau,kenyah, balinese,melanau,batak,bugis,dayak,kadazan,kenyah etc(malaysia+indonesia), maranao,tagalog, visaya,moro, kapampangan,bicolanos,bukidnon,bajaus,ifugao etc(philipines).Malayam in the other hand is a language/ethnic group in india.malay which is pronounce as melayu comes from a river in the mountains of sumatera(sungai melayu).

malays in malaysia are believed to originate from indonesia.half or maybe some malays in malaysia look quite different compared to the other malays in borneo, philipines and indonesia. this maybe because(correct me if i am wrong) they have mixed with the local aboroginals,arabs,indians(obviously can be traced in the northern states),chinese,siamese,champa(east coastal states)as the result from becoming trading port between the east and west.arabs arrival to the malay archipelago(including malaysia,indonesia and southern philipines)has a huge influence in their history,lifestyle and believes.

another big influence is india.. india is known for its historical ruling throughout southeast asia in the old old days, this can be traced from language,believes,customs and maybe physically?

but what we can't really trace is our pure forfathers..where do they came from?

well-knowned experts suggested that we came from mainland china... thats kinda possible..

what do you think?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 02:12 AM