caramel
post Nov 13 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #1

AF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Members

Veiled threat to nation building

By SHAMSUL AKMAR

IN 1997, a Year One Malay schoolgirl in Selayang came home crying. She cried because she had lied to her teacher, a deed her strict parents had said was unforgivable. But she was forgiven after she explained that she had lied to her ustazah (religious teacher) about her mother donning the tudung.

“My friend who admitted that her mother did not wear the tudung was told by the ustazah to go home and tell her mother that it was sinful not to don the tudung.

“My friend was embarrassed. When it came to my turn, I lied and said that mum wears the tudung,” she explained to her parents. The little girl who lives in Selayang was born to parents who neither opposed nor supported the wearing of the tudung.

In 2004, the girl entered secondary education in a national school also in Selayang. She was asked if she was a Malay. When she said she was, the teacher told her that it was wajib (compulsory) for her to wear the tudung.

IN A BIND: The tudung issue has persisted for years now, and is not about to come to an end anytime soon.
Her father was not satisfied and went to the school to ask if it was compulsory for his daughter to wear the tudung. And if it was, was it a directive from the Education Ministry?

The teacher said it was not compulsory and neither was there any directive from the Ministry. The matter should have ended there but the next day, the girl was scolded by another teacher and accused of being keras kepala (stubborn).

The father, tired of the whole thing, applied to transfer his daughter to an all-girl's school in Selayang where the student as well as the teacher composition was more multi-racial compared with the previous school.

The girl is now in the new school and does not seem to face much pressure to don the tudung, at least for now.

There have been other such stories shared among friends and families. It is quite baffling that such an issue could have persisted for years and is not about to come to an end anytime soon.

In fact, the tudung issue has taken numerous dimensions, twisting and turning, dragging and choking anyone that walked its path.

Hence, it was not surprising that when the International Islamic University required its female students receiving their scrolls during convocation to don the tudung or headscarves for non-Muslims, it was viewed suspiciously by the non-Malay community.

The question is whether that policy should be viewed as a religious statement or merely a specific dress code that IIU had instituted from its inception.

If it had been there from the start and made known to prospective students, then those wanting to study there would have considered whether they are comfortable with such requirements.

If the policy was introduced recently, then it must only be applied to those who were aware of it when they joined the IIU. It should not be applicable to those who entered IIU prior to the policy.

The problem in the IIU is actually the tip of the iceberg and is expected to come to public debate as it involves non-Muslims who are suspicious of the motives of the dress code. 

The bigger issue is actually where the government stands on the tudung issue. It is not a government policy to impose the wearing of the tudung but some employees have taken it upon themselves to enforce it on their Muslim subordinates.

Some schoolteachers are the worst of the lot. They prey on children who have yet to determine their religious conviction.

Worst positioned are those whose parents are believers in letting their children make their own choices, neither forcing them to don the tudung nor stopping them if they wanted to.

Many of these children succumb to peer pressure and become ashamed of their parents who do not don the tudung.

The values these children learn from such circumstances are anything but noble.

And the Muslim authorities are keeping mum on the issue, hoping that it will blow over. To comment on it, either way, can result in a political disaster.

Supporting the tudung cause may result in Umno losing the support of non-Malays and less orthodox Malays, but opposing it will earn them the wrath of the Islamists. Hence, the shrouded opinions.

Shamsul Akmar is a writer and a journalist of almost two decades. He writes on political Islam, Malay politics and regional and international issues.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...82927&sec=focus

I was just talking to my Muslim Malay girl friend and we came up with the issue of "tudung" (headscarf). Back during my first 4 years of secondary school, the "tudung" wearing was optional. However, during the last year, all the Muslim females were made compulsary to wear a tudung on Fridays, which is the holy day. Anyway, here are my questions to you guys..

1) Do you think that all Muslim females should wear the tudung?

2) Do you think that the non-Muslim females in IIU should be wearing the tudung?

3) What is your perception on Muslim females not wearing a tudung?

Hmm, if you don't like to answer questions.. then just give me your opinion. Hehe.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zizou
post Nov 13 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #2

AF Addict
Group Icon

i'll answer them
in fact, i'll give my opinions about them too

this topic has been dragging on for a long time
"you are supposed to wear tudung when ur in school"
"you are supposed to wear tudung when ur out of home"
bla bla bla bla...shut up already
what happened to ur own opinions?
what happened to individual choices?
shouldnt it be up to the individual to decide whether she wants to wear the tudung or not?
usually the ones who would force the girls to wear tudung would be the ustaz and ustazah
i dun mind them reminding the girls to wear it, but they should be given the freedom to choose for themselves, not force them to wear tudung just because its the 'right' thing to do

so, to answer ur question
1) as i mentioned before, its up to the individual, they have the right to choose
2) no, they should not wear the tudung, even if its in IIU
3) i dun have anything against them...i think they're doing a great job in not giving in to the whole 'tudung is a must' thing

i have a feeling that some ppl wont like what i wrote up there ^
meh...

+Quote Post
heero85
post Nov 13 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

i agree with u man embarassedlaugh.gif2 embarassedlaugh.gif2
beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
caramel
post Nov 13 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

Here's mine.

1) I think that the only time when it is a mandate to wear a tudung is during religious ceremonies. However, wearing the tudung should be optional. Like you said, the freedom to choose.

2) If IIU is going to make head scarf as part of their uniform, they are going to loose out a lot of students. I am not too sure what they teach in IIU. But if they are teaching the Islamic religion, some non-Muslims may as well just be interested.

3) I don't think making tudung makes one more holy than another. It's what in the heart.

+Quote Post
zizou
post Nov 14 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #5

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (caramel @ Nov 14 2005, 05:30 AM)
3) I don't think making tudung makes one more holy than another. It's what in the heart.

i totally agree with you on this one *hi-fives caramel*

+Quote Post
peed
post Nov 14 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #6

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (zizou @ Nov 14 2005, 07:00 PM)

yea..keep hearing about tis.its all about heart.
but cant deny we human always look with our eyes only.not our heart.

+Quote Post
samheisfl
post Nov 14 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #7

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (peed @ Nov 14 2005, 07:16 PM)

Me and my friends have a few theories why some girls wear tudung..
1. They have bad hair day
2. Thier hair is just like Macy Gary's one.
3. They have too if they want to asimilate in their community
4. They promised to their mom before
5. They really want to wear tudung because of their religion which is Islam. ( i hope majority of them come from this category..)

well... this is based to me and friends experiences afterall..

+Quote Post
peed
post Nov 15 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #8

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (samheisfl @ Nov 14 2005, 07:52 PM)
5. They really want to wear tudung because of their religion which is Islam. ( i hope majority of them come from this category..)

yea me too hope its because of the no.5
everybody in tis world have their own believe. and we all must respect
others as we want others to respect us.

+Quote Post
anakjakarta84
post Nov 15 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #9

AF Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (samheisfl @ Nov 14 2005, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (peed @ Nov 14 2005, 07:16 PM)

hehe I like the first two

+Quote Post
malaccan
post Nov 16 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #10

AF Guru
Group Icon

Speaking to friends involved in the public services, ie policeman, doctors etc. there is certainly no correlation between morality and wearing the tudung. Yes, wearing tudung is wajib, just like how corruption is haram.
I am for personal choice, and that is why I also detest the people who automatically look down at girls who choose to wear the tudung as a matter of commitment to the religion. You hear about cases where prospective employers instruct the employees to take off the tudung before being taken on.
Just like many things in life, everything needs to be done with hikmah (roughly wisdom) and wasadthiah (moderation, middle path).

+Quote Post
Icez
post Nov 17 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #11

AF Geek
Group Icon

Isnt it good 4 dem 2 let u 2 wear e tudun if u want, ova here when e government says no 2 wearin tudung 2 skool, no 1 can fight back..juz lyk last time , cnt remember last yr or wat..ders a case wher tis gal was nt allowed 2 go in 2 skool coz she's wearin tudun, duhh cnt remember exactly whether its a court case or not,but i kno it came out in e newspaper BH..so i tink u shuld treasure it when dey allow u 2 wear e tudung, ahakz..not against anythin or wat ar..i tink e spore government juz wanna prevent e riots tat once happened in spore last time[ zaman datuk2 agknye] ahakz..ok cheerzzz beerchug.gif

This post has been edited by Icez: Nov 17 2005, 03:09 AM

+Quote Post
Majapahitans
post Nov 17 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (zizou @ Nov 14 2005, 06:00 AM)

Me too..... beerchug.gif

Wearing tudung (Jilbab/Hijab we called it here in Indonesia) doesn't make the wearer instantly a Saint with spotless record, then can look down to others that not wearing it.

I've learn this during my Highschool years.
One of my tudung wearer friends caught commited pre-marital sex (with my friend... eek.gif )
While my tomboy friend has high morality, and she's a very kind and compasionate girl.
Another incident is a pickpocket woman wearing Jilbab caught in traditional market nearby.

So tudung or no tudung, your heart is that counts.

+Quote Post
Icez
post Nov 17 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #13

AF Geek
Group Icon

Yup, agree with Mj, i tink its e same case 4 most of e countries 2..

+Quote Post
samheisfl
post Nov 18 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #14

AF Pro
Group Icon

wearing tudung also can be caught by Jais.. embarassedlaugh.gif2

+Quote Post
Icez
post Nov 18 2005, 03:13 AM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

Ahakz, buat lawak btul ler si sam ni embarassedlaugh.gif2
Yuppy anyway cheers beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
yana19384
post Nov 18 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #16

AF Pro
Group Icon

umm...well..as for me im not wearing tudung now but i will one day...after im married that is

+Quote Post
forrestcat
post Nov 19 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #17

AF Pro
Group Icon

I am no religious zealot,but if the students of UIA refuse to adhere to its rules about its dress code, then get out of the university. Many western schools have dress codes that must be adhered, the same with an institution like UIA.Although i agree non-muslims must not be forced to wear tudung, but the way its being highlighted seems to portray UIA as a Taliban uni, that is not true!!!!! You'll be surprised how savvy UIA students can be, despite their tudungs and skull caps.

+Quote Post
yana19384
post Nov 21 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #18

AF Pro
Group Icon

^^lets try not to spread too many of those words around ok...

+Quote Post
ponpon
post Nov 22 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #19

AF Fan
Group Icon

Just don't make it compulsory to wear tudung for the non-muslims, but they must be modestly dressed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:22 PM