AsiaFinest Forum
Ad: 123Designing.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Child Abuse in The Catholic Church, Merged Topic.
forcespike437
post Feb 5 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #61

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

the child molestations only happen because the catholic church made a big mistake...before the middle ages, catholic priests were allowed to get married but for some reason, the church decreed that they should practice celebasy(is it celebacy??) so now we have priests who molest children...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bisaya
post Feb 5 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #62

AF Fiend
Group Icon

so was it also a big mistake for buddhism to have celibate monks/clergy? there are also many children in the temples. they are the temple's little monks. the great buddhist masters taught them buddhism and buddhist martial arts. so i don't believe that celibacy is the problem.

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 6 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #63

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (forcespike437 @ Feb 5 2006, 06:43 PM)
the child molestations only happen because the catholic church made a big mistake...before the middle ages, catholic priests were allowed to get married but for some reason, the church decreed that they should practice celebasy(is it celebacy??) so now we have priests who molest children...

I believe that the main reason due to
1. weak moral teaching inside the church
2. code of silent and cover up ( imagine if someone commit a crime and don't receive any punishment, he will just commit more crimes without fear)
embarassedlaugh.gif2

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 6 2006, 06:29 AM
Post #64

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (bisaya @ Feb 5 2006, 10:51 PM)
so was it also a big mistake for buddhism to have celibate monks/clergy? there are also many children in the temples. they are the temple's little monks. the great buddhist masters taught them buddhism and buddhist martial arts. so i don't believe that celibacy is the problem.

Honestly, I have never heard buddhist mooks seuxal abuse children news.
Have you?

+Quote Post
Jaimu-Jaimu
post Feb 6 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #65

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (susan12 @ Feb 6 2006, 12:29 PM)
Honestly, I have never heard buddhist mooks seuxal abuse children news.
Have you?

Better at covering it up I guess. icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
bisaya
post Feb 6 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #66

AF Fiend
Group Icon

weak moral teaching inside the church? i dont think so coz if you come to asia (korea, japan, china/taiwan, cambodia...) you won't hear clergy molesting children. in fact the most conservative church here is the catholic church. i don't see anything weak in its moral teachings but i see weakness in the hierarchy of the western branch of the church particularly the U.S and europe.

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 6 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #67

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (bisaya @ Feb 6 2006, 07:05 AM)
weak moral teaching inside the church? i dont think so coz if you come to asia (korea, japan, china/taiwan, cambodia...) you won't hear clergy molesting children. in fact the most conservative church here is the catholic church. i don't see anything weak in its moral teachings but i see weakness in the hierarchy of the western branch of the church particularly the U.S and europe.

Let me put it in this way. In Korea, Japan, China/Taiwan, Cambodia... they are all Buddhist domainant countries. If Catholic want to be accepted by those country's natives, they must behave the same way or even better than Buddhist monks.

If it is not weak moral teaching inside the church among the priests, then how would those children abused cases happened?

It is so immoral to seuxal abuse CHILDREN. Do you think so? How can you hurt children? Children are innocent and pure! icon_twisted.gif

+Quote Post
Jaimu-Jaimu
post Feb 6 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #68

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (bisaya @ Feb 6 2006, 01:05 PM)

I actually agree with you.
Instead of simply attributing this sort of problem to religion, a more logical factor could be that of culture.

+Quote Post
bisaya
post Feb 7 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #69

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (susan12 @ Feb 7 2006, 01:43 AM)
Let me put it in this way. In Korea, Japan, China/Taiwan, Cambodia... they are all Buddhist domainant countries. If Catholic want to be accepted by those country's natives, they must behave the same way or even better than Buddhist monks.

If it is not weak moral teaching inside the church among the priests, then how would those children abused cases happened?

It is so immoral to seuxal abuse CHILDREN. Do you think so? How can you hurt children? Children are innocent and pure!  icon_twisted.gif

YES, the catholic church teaches that it is immoral to sexually abuse children. the very fact that a man sexually abused a boy is a homosexual act. and the catholic church considers a homosexual act a mortal sin. so it is not the moral teaching that is the problem. it is the person who should have followed the moral teaching of the church but chose not to because his lust is stronger than his religious conviction.

the abuse happened because of so many things. 1. is culture, 2. the defect in the person's religious conviction, 3. he was not caught, 4. he wasn't punished. and many more to mention... there are many causes why someone becomes a pervert.

when studying religion, you go to the source. you don't just judge a religion by the deeds of some of those people who say they are of that religion. you have to go to the source. which means that before you can truly say that catholicism has weak moral teaching you must first look at what they really teaches. i say the same thing with islam and judaism, i wouldn't say those religion are violent unless i read their sacred book first.

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 8 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #70

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (bisaya @ Feb 7 2006, 09:08 AM)
YES, the catholic church teaches that it is immoral to sexually abuse children. the very fact that a man sexually abused a boy is a homosexual act. and the catholic church considers a homosexual act a mortal sin. so it is not the moral teaching that is the problem. it is the person who should have followed the moral teaching of the church but chose not to because his lust is stronger than his religious conviction.

Yes, the bible and the church did teach good moral. But do most of their followers or Vatican( the management teams) really delivery what the church teaching? Or just deliver the GOOD TEACHING BY MOUTH!!

===================================================

the abuse happened because of so many things. 1. is culture, 2. the defect in the person's religious conviction, 3. he was not caught, 4. he wasn't punished. and many more to mention... there are many causes why someone becomes a pervert.

To me the fatal causes are the church and vatican cover up and their protection of the crimal priests.  These policies are the best encouragement to motivate more crimes inside the church!!!

SECRET VATICAN DOCUMENT
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/08/06/...ain566978.shtml
Here is the secret Vatican document that instructs bishops to cover up sex crimes by priests. Below are the original Latin version and an unofficial English translation provided to CBS News. 
• Latin Document
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/crimenlatinfull.pdf

• English Translation
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/Criminales.pdf

====================================================

when studying religion, you go to the source.

When you send your children to school, can you ask your child go direct to the subject sources without trusting and contacting with the teachers??

=====================================================
you don't just judge a religion by the deeds of some of those people who say they are of that religion. you have to go to the source. which means that before you can truly say that catholicism has weak moral teaching you must first look at what they really teaches.

I know the bible teach good moral; I also know Vatican and church TALK good moral. But he is the question - there is a huge difference between TALKING AND BEHAVING GOOD MORAL??

If that abuse cases in Catholic church are below 1000, then I would say that was minorities (or as you said SOME OF THOSE PEOPLE....) and can be tolerated.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/clergy_sex8.htm

================================================
i say the same thing with islam and judaism, i wouldn't say those religion are violent unless i read their sacred book first.

Again, there is a great different between talking and actual behaviors!!!

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 15 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #71

AF Fiend
Group Icon

A Glimpse at the Mind of a Pedophile (California priest's deposition)
A Glimpse at the Mind of a Pedophile
A former priest who served under Mahony in the Stockton Diocese describes his ploys.

By Jean Guccione, Times Staff Writer

In a chillingly frank account, a former Roman Catholic priest, promoted 20 years ago by Roger M. Mahony, recently described his decades-long career as a pedophile, including his sexual tastes and how he groomed his young victims for abuse.

In a 15-hour videotaped deposition in March, Oliver O'Grady described how his heart raced when one of the slim, playful boys he preferred toweled off after a swim. He also said he liked to lift little girls' skirts and peek at their underpants.

Asked to demonstrate how he would lure one of his estimated 25 victims into his arms, the 59-year-old Irish native softened his voice, flashed an avuncular smile and looked directly into the video camera....

+Quote Post
Jaimu-Jaimu
post Feb 15 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #72

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (susan12 @ Feb 8 2006, 04:52 PM)
Again, there is a great different between talking and actual behaviors!!!

You're wrong.
Since these are acts of individuals rather than acts of a group who all think the same way...then why state the group of "Catholic priests" instead of "Paedophiles"?

This is not so much the church's problem as society's problem.

+Quote Post
shiro
post Feb 15 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #73

AF Elite
Group Icon

^ It is the church's problem in that sex is fundamental to life, and forcing your representatives to deny themselves this basic need goes against nature.

Not all paedophiles take vows of celibacy.

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 16 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #74

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (shiro @ Feb 15 2006, 04:16 PM)
^ It is the church's problem in that sex is fundamental to life, and forcing your representatives to deny themselves this basic need goes against nature.

Not all paedophiles take vows of celibacy.

cool30.gif We need to ask why Catholic priests, more than other clergy, are accused of crimes against children.

+Quote Post
bisaya
post Feb 16 2006, 04:46 AM
Post #75

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (susan12 @ Feb 7 2006, 01:43 AM)

It is so immoral to seuxal abuse CHILDREN. Do you think so? How can you hurt children? Children are innocent and pure!  icon_twisted.gif

and now you say:

Yes, the bible and the church did teach good moral. But do most of their followers or Vatican( the management teams) really delivery what the church teaching? Or just deliver the GOOD TEACHING BY MOUTH!!

so you see, it is not the moral teaching that is the problem. the problem would be the people who are running the church.

we are talking of moral teachings here. if they don't follow such teaching. then the person is the problem and not the moral teaching. you see i am very correct. it's not the moral teaching of the church. it's the people in the church.

and FYI, the problem is not exclusive to the catholic priest. there are more sexual abuse commited by non-catholic than catholic priests.

did you not say:

We need to ask why Catholic priests, more than other clergy, are accused of crimes against children.

the important word here is accused. we can accused anyone for anything just because we hate them for being different. of different religion, of different race, of different nationailty... and so on.

This post has been edited by bisaya: Feb 16 2006, 04:53 AM

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 16 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #76

AF Fiend
Group Icon

This is not so much the church's problem as society's problem.

[/quote]

Wow, compare church problem with society problem!!! confused.gif

I don't know how can you link them as a comparision ?

A link for you!

http://www.multiline.com.au/~johnm/ethics/minilist.htm

CLERGY CHILD MOLESTERS -- OVERVIEW
(Many headings have been amplified)
26 A.D. approx.: Jesus of Nazareth said: "Anyone who is the downfall of one of these little ones who have faith in me, it would be better for him that a millstone were hung around his neck and that he were drowned in the deep sea." (Bible, Matthew 18:6)
1947: Western Australian Government Minister was told of the disaster of the 1938-39 child migration, in writing, by the Secretary of the Child Welfare Department. Refer Bruce Blyth (pp 10-11), book In the Shadow of the Cross, (P & B Press, PO Box 81, Como, WA, 6952, $24.95)
1954: Christian Brothers' leaders knew; In 1954 Bro. P.L.Duffy, an assistant to the R.C. Christian Brothers' Superior-General in Ireland, wrote to Bro. Carroll, an Australian leader, to warn that a certain Brother in W.A. could not be trusted with boys. Refer Bruce Blyth (pp 100-01), In the Shadow of the Cross
1975: Newfoundland 1975 cover-up: Christian Brothers Mount Cashel orphanage in St John's, Newfoundland, widespread abuse allegations were covered up by both the Church and the government. In 1989 priests there faced charges, and the orphanage abusers too. Refer Dr Barry Coldrey book (p 4) Religious Life Without Integrity, (2001, P & B Press, PO Box 81, Como, WA, 6952, $17.95) http://www.thelinkup.com/integrity1.html
1978: Melbourne priest Father Michael Glennon in 1978 served seven months of a two-year sentence for indecently assaulting a ten-year-old girl (and see 1985 below). Refer Bruce Blyth (p 111), In the Shadow of the Cross, (1997)
1985: Father Gauthe in U.S.A.: Most of the news media reported about Fr Gilbert Gauthe of Louisiana, who had sexually molested scores of boys. See Survivors of Clergy Abuse in Catholic Seminaries www.arizweb.net/seminary.htm
1985: U.S. R.C. bishops urged to clean up: Arising from the adverse publicity, three professionals including U.S. Dominican Fr Thomas Doyle (a canon lawyer at the Vatican Embassy) wrote a confidential report in 1985 urging every U.S. R.C. bishop to help form a national policy to stop clergy sex-abuse. See Aug 2 02 The National Catholic Reporter www. natcath.org/ NCR_ Online/archives/ 080202/ 080202a. htm
1985: Australia, repeat offender, high publicity: Fr Michael Glennon (see 1978 above) faced new charges. Crusading television personality Derryn Hinch pointed out that Fr Glennon was a convicted child abuser yet continued as a priest, but as this tended to stop Fr Glennon getting a fair trial Mr Hinch was punished for contempt of court, and the trial was delayed until '91.
1987: Child migration exposed: Fairbridge Farm School in Western Australia criticised for taking child-migrants' identities and some violence, and Christian Brothers for sex molesting, physical beatings, work without wages, etc. -- The Western Mail, August 8-9 1987, p 20, and August 15-16 1987, pp 26-27, see Dr Barry Coldrey's book p 5 Religious Life Without Integrity http://www.thelinkup.com/integrity2.html
1988: Derryn Hinch television programme "Christian Brothers?" shown on Channel 7 in all States except Western Australia.
1989: The book Lost Children of the Empire by Philip Bean and Joy Melville was published, and a television programme based largely on it was screened.
1992: There was great publicity about the U.S. abuser Fr. James Porter, and other survivors came forward accusing other clergymen. See "Survivors of Clergy Abuse in Catholic Seminaries" www.arizweb.net/seminary.htm
1992: The Leaving of Liverpool Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) TV mini-series screened. ABC Compass programme The Ultimate Betrayal shown
1993: U.S. R.C. bishops seemed to accept a special report on sex-abuse scandal, but many did nothing, according to Bishop John Kinney in "Sins of the Fathers" on "Foreign Correspondent", June 19 2002, Australian Broadcasting Commission radio.
1996 (?): Sipe Report of Richard Sipe, about 25 pages based on professional experience. One statement is: "These families were inhibited by false, incomplete, and misleading information that would in effect serve the interest of the Church rather than the best interest of the child victim. This pattern is quite consistent in dioceses and archdioceses across the U.S." www.thelinkup.com/sipe.html
1998: Australian "whistleblower" found dead, files gone: R.C. priest Morrie Crocker, who had asked the Church and police since 1989 to act concerning the child abuse of priests and a brother, was found hanged at Wollongong on March 26, 1998. http://www. thelinkup.com/ crocker.html
2001: United States: $5.2m to one victim (possible world record): Monsignor Michael A. Harris quit the priesthood in 2001 after the Los Angeles and Orange dioceses paid $5.2 million to one of his alleged victims. Harris has denied the charges. But in 2003 more court action started, with nine men suing Orange Diocese saying that Harris, their school principal, had sexually assaulted them as schoolboys. (Los Angeles Times, Jan 04, 05) [2001]
2001: U.K. "Crackdown on abuse by priests;" The English and Welsh R.C. Church was asked yesterday to appoint child protection representatives in every parish after a series of clergy abuse cases. The Guardian Britain at www.guardian.co.uk Apr 18, 01
2001: Australia, parliamentary inquiry: "Quite exceptional depravity" -- Christian Brothers at Bindoon, Castledare, Clontarf and Tardun in Western Australia, period 1938 to late 1960s, (AND some other aspects of the child-migration scheme) in chapter 4 of "Lost Innocents: Righting the Record" pp 76-77 http://www.aph.gov.au/ senate/committee/clac_ctte/ child_migrat/c04.doc , Senate Community Affairs References Committee, Australia, Aug 2001
Tolkien's son accused of sex abuse; LONDON:: Father John Tolkien, 94, the eldest son of J.R.R. Tolkien, the author of The Lord of the Rings, has been questioned by police over allegations that he sexually abused boys while working as a priest. -- The Age, Melbourne, "Tolkien son accused of sex abuse," www.theage. com.au/ , Jan 7 02
• Guidelines for handling clergy abusing children. Evidence that the ancient method was exclusion. multiline.com.au/~johnm/nonmarital.htm Feb 19 02
!!!: Father Kelly's escape to Belgium stymied by 77 more sex charges The West Australian Feb 28 02
Paying for sins of the fathers; Anglican, Catholic, United and Presbyterian Churches in Canada face child-abuse compensation of $C1000m; Australian dioceses facing ruin Weekend Australian, Mar 2-3 02
Father Geoghan -- Deal close on $60m U.S. sex payout [later cut to $10m] West Australian Mar 7 02
!!!: Florida has two sex-abuse bishops in a row! Yet parishioners support Church. Boston $15 to $30m extra for Father Geoghan abuse Record Mar 21 02
!!!: Polish archbishop quits over sneaking through tunnel to seminary dormitory The West Australian Mar 30 02
• Priest abuse, abortion woman gets $2m payout Los Angeles (Fr John Lenihan) West Australian Apr 3 02
!!!: Irish Bishop resigns over boy-sex cleric, had tried everything but dismissal! West Australian, Apr 3 02
• Scandal keeps lawyer Stephen Rubino busy with 250 clients on 3 continents The West Australian Apr 3 02
Abuse of Trust: Child Sexual Abuse and the Australian Churches with world background, more than 100 Australian Catholic and Anglican clergy convicted of child sexual abuse in past 5 yrs www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing/stories/s531384.htm ABC Background Briefing Apr 14 02
• Married teachers jailed, Victoria, seduced 14-year-old Wesley College girl West Australian Apr 20 02
• Priest was evil one, says cover-up victim , Fr Paul Shanley said cardinal abused him in seminary, U.S. bishops fostered him since 1967, cardinals for Rome, Victims broken Weekend Australian Apr 20-21 02
• R.C. priest Paul Shanley talked up boy-love, but was not dismissed; The West Australian, Apr 27 02
!!!: Priest sex video sent to flock by homosexual ex-lover, Spain West Australian Apr 30 02
• ABC Radio talk about RC priests' problems with celibacy, some go visiting prostitutes May 03 02
!!!: Confessional rapes? Accused U.S. priest Paul Shanley may be jailed for life; Boston diocese backs out of settling for $75m for 86 John Geoghan victims The Sunday Times, Perth, May 05 02
• Priest Maurice Blackwell shot by accuser in US sex case The West Australian May 16 02
"Loss of Faith", 60 Minutes, TV Channel 9. Catholic Archbishop George Pell said the Church requires that people who get sex-abuse compensation don't talk about it. [For a total of 10 days he denied that "hush money" was paid. You see, the Church calls it "compensation"!] Dr Pell first denied four times that a nephew had reported to him that Fr Gerald Ridsdale had sexually abused him, then agreed he had. Dr Pell had been to court in support of the boy-abusing Fr Ridsdale. Complaints about girl-abusing Fr Kevin O'Donnell had been received in 1985, no action. (Click the two parts, and the follow-up.)
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/ sixtyminutes/stories/2002_06_02/story_602.asp Richard Carleton, TV Channel 9, June 2 02
• "Church admits hush edict." Australian R.C. lawyer-spokesman admits that victims of sexual abuse were effectively paid hush money, despite a week of denials by Sydney Archbishop George Pell. West Australian Jun 10 02
• "Sins of the Fathers" on "Foreign Correspondent", U.S.A. R.C. sex abuse crisis, big coverage. Included: Bishop John Kinney said that a Church committee around 1993 recommended steps to stop child abuse. Bishops seemed to agree, but went home and did nothing. -- Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio Jun 19 02
New Zealand R.C. bishops apologise to sex abuse victims, 9 convicted since 1990. Record Jul 11 02
• Priest Paul Shanley denies Massachusetts 1979-1989 child rape (Gregory Ford and other cases); insurance firms win Minnesota case not to pay $1m because R.C. officials knew priest there had 15-year abuse history. The West Australian July 12 02
• G-G Hollingworth may face police probe, Anglican Bishop Shearman's 'affair' with 14-y-o, allegation re 10-y-o, Brisbane Church inquiry. West Australian Jul 22 02
• In rift with Cardinal Law, agency to accept lay group's funds, USA's Voice of the Faithful offer, laypeople in both camps resist orders from Cardinal Law. The Boston Globe, July 24 02
!!!: Bishop on homosexual priests' internet newsgroup! South African Bishop Cawcutt resigns, http://allafrica.com/stories/200207190010. html and The Record Jul 25 02
• Furore at Pell's view that child abuse is less serious than abortion The West Australian Jul 30 02
!!!: Two boy-sex charges during pope's youth forums in 2002, crossed into Canada! And, abuse victims claim U.S. priests still abusing, The West Australian Jul 31 02
4000 meet to give laity a voice, (about the July 20 Boston conference of the Voice of the Faithful with the slogan "Keep the Faith, Change the Church.") The National Catholic Reporter www.natcath.org/ NCR_ Online/archives/ 080202/080202a.htm Aug 2 02
!!!: See-through confessionals for San Jose? "Where seeing is believing" The West Australian Aug 14 02
• R.C. Sydney Archbishop George Pell faces abuse claim, www.abc.net.au/news/2002/08/ item20020820180852_1.htm ABC news Aug 20 02
• Canberra-Goulburn "Bishop attacks Catholic culture of secrecy" and celibacy; Bishop Pat Power calls for reforms. www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/27/ 1030053060196.html Sydney Morning Herald Aug 28 02
"The facts about Wesley College" internet peeks by Principal John Bednall. The police were told, and he resigned. Western Impact, Uniting Church, Sep 2002
• Church leaders knew priests were doing unspeakable things to kids, and ignored it. -- Response to Bunbury RC Bishop Gerard Holohan's Sep 5 apologia, and see the Bunbury Anglican Bishop David McCall's June 27 claim ~ Sep 14 02
• Party priest jailed 10 1/2 yrs for sex abuse of schoolboys at Albury NSW, Fr Vincent Kiss, 70; The Weekend Australian, Sep 14-15 02
• U.S. Catholic "Bishops sued on child sex counts" for conspiracy, Michael Harris cost $5.2m. The West Australian, Wed Sep 18 02
Prosecutor releases names of 20 uncharged priests from the 1960s and 1970s (U.S.). www.boston.com/ news/daily/26/ priests_names.htm The Boston Globe, Sep 26 02
!!!: Cruising away! "Police divert ship to arrest alleged paedophile priest": Retired U.S. priest Neville Rucker, 82, was taken off a Pacific cruise to face 23 charges of sexual abuse of girls The West Australian, Oct 1 02, p 23
• Dr Pell case not proven, closed-doors RC Church inquiry results announced. ABC news Oct 14 02
!!!: "Hush money" clauses for Australian R.Cs. are still a condition of compensation offered by the bishops, in spite of the Church's public claims, reports Sister Angela Ryan, leader of the RC National Committee for Professional Standards. Australian Catholics, Melbourne, "Healing touch" by Kent Rosenthal SJ Christmas 2002
!!!: Boston priests involved in fatal drug overdose, and woman thrown down stairs! "Pressure on abuse row cardinal to go," reasons also included continuing to pay priests who gave drugs to the young, and seduced would-be nuns. "No confidence" letter to Dr Law being signed by some priests. The West Australian Dec 10 02
!!!: Gaolbird to Amarillo parish until May 2002. Summary shows: Court actions against 15 Catholic entities; 568+ victims; bankruptcy protection considered. The Record "More US strife" Dec 12 02
• Pope's 1999 "hush-up" transfer document unearthed; "Sex priests scandal draws in the Vatican" because of the 1999 defrocking order discovered about convicted paedophile Robert Burns, who had child sex accusations in New Hampshire, Ohio, and Massachusetts. Well-known accused Fr Paul Shanley was let out on $US300,000 bail on Dec. 11. The West Australian, Dec 13 02
!!!: Pornography and cocaine priest put into parish in 2001. Boston Cardinal Law's resignation is accepted [at last] by Pope. Legal authorities say there has been an "elaborate system" over a period of "decades, and perhaps generations" to shield Boston priests. Friends and relations of accused Fr Paul Shanley reportedly raised $US300,000 bail so he could leave gaol. VOTF said that tens of millions of dollars had been diverted from the Church's works to shield child abusers. The Weekend Australian "Cardinal succumbs to sex abuse scandal" Dec 14-15 2002
• Baltimore area jury acquitted Mr Dontee Stokes, 26, hairdresser, of a charge of attempted murder around May 15 2002 of Fr Maurice Blackwell, whom Stokes said had sexually assaulted him nearly a decade ago. Stokes was convicted of three handgun charges. The West Australian, Dec 18 02
• Denier Pell gets more good Press from the Church! A Zenit interview with Tess Livingstone, author of an autobiography George Pell, praising the Sydney Archbishop, but not properly dealing with the sex-abuse cover-up! Dr Pell grew up in his parents' country hotel in Ballarat,and went to the CBC there. He mixes freely and well with people of other faiths, for example Judaism and Islam. The Record, "The Church's helmsman Down Under," (Zenit), Dec 26 2002
• Thank you to good priests, on Internet; More than 25,000 messages of thanks to good priests since it started in August 2002 have been received on the Thank You Father Website www.thank youfather. com . The Record, Dec 26 02
On December 18 2002 Polish Fr Roman Kramek in the U.S.A. sexually assaulted a girl, 17, who was supposed to be receiving his counselling on sex assault! NEW YORK: "Abuse fighters set sights on Bishop" John McCormack, who in June 2002 moved a priest who had sex with a teenager to a new parish! The Weekend Australian, Nicholas Wapshott (New York), Dec 28-29 2002
!!!: Restraining order, Australia: MELBOURNE: Jilted lady invited herself to Archbishop Denis Hart's Christmas dinner! In 2001 there had been a "relationship" with an ex-priest, woman claims. The archbishop obtained a restraining order against Anne Furness over her actions supposedly arising from the relationship. Weekend Australian, "Churchman restrains stalker," Dec 28-29 02
• "The abusive behaviour continues still; No broad vision in Fr Steve Rossetti's defence of indefensible U.S. bishops." This is a RESPONSE to "I say, I say...." (No more prevalent in the Church than it is in society) by Paul Gray, giving a number of arguments by Fr Steve Rossetti, in The Record, Perth, Nov 7 2002. It should be NON-EXISTENT. Aren't the clergy supposed to be showing through their celibacy a sign of sacrifice and holiness to the world? (see Pope John XXIII, quoted in E.Gilson, "Souvenir du Père," in La France Catholique, No. 862, 7:vi:1963)
For decades the global Catholic establishment has been pretending the problem is smaller than it is. The article had said that "a case" had come up in Boston diocese over Fr John Geoghan (later murdered in gaol). Geoghan had REPEATED court cases, and many others are being sued or charged, costing millions. Dec 30 02
!!!: Doorstep passion denied by Church of England clergyman: LONDON:: Rev. Harry Brown denies he bounded towards a married woman parishioner at her own front door in 1996, overpowered her, and gave her a French kiss, etc. He is appealing against a Church of England decision. -- The West Australian, "Priest fights passion claims," Jan 4 2003
• 40% of U.S. nuns sexually abused: report. WASHINGTON: Forty per cent of United States nuns have been sexually abused, according to a study conducted by St Louis University. -- West Australian, "Nuns sexually abused: report," Jan 6 03
!!!: No punishment because clinch took place three years ago! MEXICO CITY: Bishop Juan Lopez said he was not going to punish Father Salomon Palma, 60, whose self-videoed image in a clinch with his secretary, 28, was shown on TV. -- The West Australian, "Anger over priest in a clinch" Jan 8 03
Six per cent molesters in some U.S. dioceses; 1205 R.C. priests harmed 4268 youngsters. NEW YORK: There are 1205 U.S. priests who have molested 4268 minors during the past 60 years, according to a survey of documented cases only. "This has been going on for decades, probably centuries," said Richard K. O'Connor, a former Dominican priest." -- New York Times, www.nytimes.com/ "Decades of Damage; Trail of Pain in Church Crisis Leads to Nearly Every Diocese," Jan 12 03
!!!: Leaflets at churches, and archbishop suddenly has time to see victims! ST PAUL (U.S.A.): A day after SNAP, a sex-abuse victims' group, distributed leaflets at Catholic churches asking parishioners to support their three-month effort to meet with Archbishop Harry Flynn, the archbishop agreed Monday to a meeting. --Star Tribune, St Paul, Minnesota, USA, http://www.star tribune.com "Archbishop Flynn to meet with sex-abuse victims group" Jan 14 03
!!!: Sex "Hush money" denier appointed to deal with sex! SYDNEY: The Vatican has appointed Catholic Archbishop of Sydney George Pell, who in mid-2002 vainly denied there was a silence clause, to a Vatican Curia position dealing with sex education, family life, etc., etc. -- The West Australian "Pell appointed to Vatican body" Jan 15 03
• Only 42% of U.S. Catholics believe in the Church's organisation now; Pollster George Gallup Jr said the plunge plainly reflected "the 2002 Catholic sexual abuse scandals." -- The Record Perth, "Popularity plunge" Jan 16 03
Women left adrift by priests and/or the Church system, organise in Scotland. EDINBURGH: "Sonflowers," a support group for women who have affairs with Catholic priests, is opening a branch in Scotland because its English headquarters cannot cope with the number of calls received from Scottish women. -- Scotland on Sunday, "Silent mistresses find voice against priests" http://www.thelinkup.com/ abuse-women/scotland.html Jan 16 03
• Cardinal Law to be interviewed by panel investigating church's abuse crisis -- and victims' confidentiality is being destroyed by legal means. NEW YORK (AP): Lawyers for the Boston Archdiocese, which offered to pay for counselling for people who say they were abused by priests, began this week issuing subpoenas to the therapists to get details about the sessions, thus outraging alleged victims and their lawyers. -- Star Tribune, St Paul, Minnesota, USA, "Cardinal Law to be interviewed by panel investigating church's abuse crisis" http://www.startribune.com/ Jan 18 03
!!!: Sliding naked around oily floor with five children under 13! BUNBURY, Western Australia: Dutch-born Catholic priest Adrian Richard van Klooster, 60, of Australind, formerly of New South Wales, admitted indecent dealing with the children in February 2002. He allegedly also took digital photographs and photocopies of the naked children. He could expect to go to jail, a judge said today. Sunday Times Online http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au "Catholic priest admits indecent dealing" Jan 21 03
Former priest in Hong Kong convicted in sex abuse case. HONG KONG: -- Michael Lau, a former Roman Catholic priest, was jailed yesterday after he was convicted of molesting a 15-year-old altar boy. A Church coverup was reported. The Boston Globe, www.boston.com/ daily globe2/ Jan 28 03
• Jehovah's Witnesses cover up child abuse: HALIFAX, Canada: A television channel plans to screen tonight a show claiming that the elders in the Jehovah's Witness Church had covered up sex abuse by the stepfather of a girl called Holly from the time she was two, and his abuse of a younger daughter. -- Halifax Daily News "CBC uncovers surprising revelations" Jan 29 03
• Catholic Church backs 'cure for gays': MELBOURNE, Australia: A controversial American psychologist Dr Peter Rudegeair, who claims homosexuals can be cured, will speak in Melbourne tonight with the support of the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Denis Hart. Dr Rudegeair is visiting Australia with Father John Harvey, the founder of Courage, an organisation that helps homosexuals live by the precepts of the Catholic Church. -- The Age "Catholic Church backs 'cure for gays'" www.theage.com.au/ Jan 30 03
• Bishops must not abstain from the duty of pastoral governance, while guarding individuals' rights, says Pope. VATICAN CITY: The Pope on January 24 urged bishops not to neglect their duty to govern through administrative processes. -- The Record "Canon Law avoids injustice" Jan 30 03
!!!: Catholic leaders pretended that suspect had gone to India, but he had shifted across the river! NEW YORK: Reversing earlier official statements, a diocesan chancellor testified yesterday that Brooklyn church officials knew that Rev. Francis Nelson, 39, accused of molesting a 12-year-old girl, had got a job in the Archdiocese of New York, and had not gone to India as previously claimed by Church officials. -- Newsday, "Changing Church Story Official: Diocese knew accused priest was still in NY" www.newsday. com/ Jan 30 03
• GRAND JURY BLAST ROCKVILLE CENTRE DIOCESE. SUFFOLK COUNTY (NY), U.S.A.: "Priests assigned to and working in the Diocese of Rockville Centre committed criminal acts in violation of New York State Penal Law Article 130, Sex offences, and other statutes designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of children. These criminal acts included, but were not limited to, Rape, Sodomy, Sexual Abuse, Endangering the Welfare of a Child and Use of a Child in a Sexual Performance. Not one priest in the Diocese who knew about these criminal acts reported them to any law enforcement agency." [Also refer to Feb 11 newspaper articles on this, titled "Diocese of Lies Exposed," and "Revs called 'serial child molesters'."] -- Suffolk County Supreme Court Special Grand Jury, www.newsday. com/ news/local/ longisland/ ny-suffolkreport 0210, 0,2290700. acrobat?coll=ny% 2Dtop%2Dspan% 2Dheadlines , Report "Priest child sex abuse in Diocese of Rockville Centre" released Feb 10 03
Rabbi Arraigned After Arrest In Underage Cyber Sting; NEW YORK: Rabbi Israel Kestenbaum, 54, the father of a 9-year-old girl, was arraigned Friday after his arrest in Manhattan for allegedly trying to arrange a tryst with a person he believed to be a 13-year-old girl he met over the Internet. -- Newsday http://www.newsday.com/news/ local/wire/ ny-bc-ny--rabbi- arrested0221feb21.story Feb 21 03
• Man allegedly abused by priest kills himself. SEATTLE (Washington State): Jeff Alfieri, 43, of Seattle, who said he was molested decades ago by a priest in the Seattle Roman Catholic Archdiocese committed suicide by gunshot earlier this week, his family said, in the parking lot of the church in Kirkland where the alleged abuse occurred. -- The Seattle Times Feb 21 03
• Globe honoured for stories on church, Islamic world. BOSTON (MA): The Boston Globe has been honoured with two George Polk Awards. -- The Boston Globe, Feb 24 03
Mexico mayor vows crackdown on gay prostitutes after slaying of priest. MEXICO CITY The mayor of Torreon in northern Mexico is urging a crackdown on male prostitutes following the murder of a priest who prosecutors say had patronized them. -- Arizona Republic Feb 25 03
• Globe adds Selden Ring Award to its awards. BOSTON (MA): Reporters and editors at The Boston Globe have won the 2003 Selden Ring Award for articles revealing that the Archdiocese of Boston routinely hid sexual abuse by Catholic priests. -- The Boston Globe, "Globe receives Selden Ring Award" Feb 25 03
• Let's deal with apologists pretending that Church child abuse isn't costly and continuing. BRITAIN: Clifford Longley published in the British Catholic newspaper The Tablet of 25 January 2003 an article trying to defend a British Cardinal from requests for him to resign because he fostered a serial child sex abuser, and it was republished headed "How can we deal with our collective paranoia over paedophiles?" in On Line Opinion on 24 Feb 2003. See also Tom Utley's article in The Telegraph's Nov 30 2002 internet version entitled "Paedophile obsession is killing trust in the Church", reprinted in Perth on Jan 2 2003.
We've had the US's Fr Steve Rossetti writing in April 2002 that the clergy's sex abuse is no more prevalent than elsewhere in society, republished in Perth on Nov 7 2002. A Boston lady, then a Harvard law professor, Mary Ann Glendon, in a November 4 2002 speech (republished in Perth on Nov 7) blamed the news media.
One would have thought that Catholic journalists and editors would have realised that the only "obsession" was the desire for child sex among a surprising percentage of clergymen, and there was no mass-media "paranoia," but among too many leaders of Churches and religious orders there was a "paralysis." Voice of the Faithful (VOTF) estimates that U.S. Catholics have been deprived of tens of millions of dollars in payouts because of clergy sex abuse. -- Faith Purification Programme, Perth, Feb 26 03
Jehovah's Witness girls abused, leaders shielded abuser. NASHUA (NH): Two sisters can pursue their claims that elders from their Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Wilton ignored their mother’s complaints of sexual abuse, a judge has ruled. -- The Telegraph "Judge: Sisters may pursue church case" (Poynteronline Feb 27 03)
• DEFIANT BISHOPS Mahony and Lennon pleading Constitution to hide crimes! LOS ANGELES (CA): Frank Keating, the chairman of the lay review board named by US Catholic bishops to monitor compliance with their child-abuse prevention plan says he is "stunned" that Cardinal Roger M. Mahony of Los Angeles has raised First Amendment objections to the release of church documents to law enforcement officials. Bishop Richard G. Lennon, of Boston Archdiocese, is also citing the First Amendment. -- The Boston Globe, "Bid to shield priest data faulted," Mar 14 03
PULITZER PRIZE to The Boston Globe for exposing sex abuse by priests. UNITED STATES of AMERICA: The Pulitzer prize for Public Service was awarded to The Boston Globe for its courageous, comprehensive coverage of sexual abuse by priests, an effort that pierced secrecy, stirred local, national and international reaction and produced changes in the Roman Catholic Church. -- The Pulitzer Board, http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2003/public-service/ , Mon Apr 7 03
!!!: SAN BERNADINO CATHOLIC DIOCESE SUES BOSTON ARCHDIOCESE! CALIFORNIA: The Diocese of San Bernardino, Calif., will sue the Archdiocese of Boston for recommending to them the Rev. Paul Shanley, a notoriously depraved sex-abuser, as a priest in good standing. Officials in San Bernardino say they would have to close schools and cut services for the needy if they had to pay damages in a local suit against Father Shanley. -- The New York Times, "Church Disunity in the Priest Scandal," Opinion, http://www. nytimes. com/ , Apr 9 03
Brisbane Diocese ANGLICAN ABUSE REPORT is tabled in Queensland Parliament. BRISBANE (Queensland, Australia): The full unabridged report of 471 pages by an Anglican Board was tabled on May 1 2003 by Premier Peter Beattie in the Queensland Parliament, and published on the internet. It reports on the Governor-General Peter Hollingworth's handling of clergy child sex abuse while he was archbishop of Brisbane. "The Board considers that no Bishop acting reasonably could have reached the decision to continue a known paedophile in the ministry. There were no extenuating circumstances nor can the Board imagine any that could have justified his continuance." (15.8 on page 49) - http://www. parliament.qld.gov.au/AnglicanReport.pdf , May 1 03
FOUR PRIEST MOLESTERS AT CATHOLIC NOTRE DAME UNIVERSITY, U.S.A. SOUTH BEND (Indiana): University of Notre Dame officials are reaching out to former students who experienced sexual misconduct by clergy while at the university. Four known cases are: The Revs. James T. Burtchaell and Robert D. Huneke; a priest, 73, from the Diocese of Erie, Pa., who worked as rector in a Notre Dame men's residence hall in the 1970s; and an unnamed priest accused of misconduct in the past year. -- South Bend Tribune, "ND reaches out to victims; Former students claim clergy misconduct; Alumni Group Wants To Know How University Handles Investigations," http://www.southbendtribune.com/ stories/ 2003/05/04/ local.20030504- sbt-FULL-A1- ND_reaches_out.sto (costs $US 1.95 to see this) , May 4 03
• Relationship, so dormitory priest dismissed at Notre Dame, U.S.A. SOUTH BEND (Indiana): A dormitory rector at the Catholic University of Notre Dame, Father Samuel Peters, has been dismissed; he admitted a relationship with an "of age" female. -- NewsCenter16, WNDU 16, "Notre Dame priest fired," http://www.wndu.com/ news/ 052003/ news_19763.php , May 6 03.
!!!: Catholic school says students responsible for alleged abuse! NASHUA (NH): The Roman Catholic Bishop Guertin High School says that the alleged sexual abuse of three former students by a teacher was caused by their own failure to exercise reasonable care. The men are among 10 suing the school and the brothers' order. - Portsmouth Herald (U.S.A.), "Catholic school says students responsible for alleged abuse," http://www.seacoastonline.com/ news/05162003/ news/28874.htm , May 16 03
• Priest used internet in May 2003 trying for sex with "15-year-old boy". OGDEN (Utah): Catholic priest Mario Arbelaez Olarte, 44, had an internet online sex chat with a police officer posing as a 15-year-old boy, and was charged Friday with enticing a minor over the internet to a rendezvous near a private apartment he has away from the church. He was arrested when he arrived for the meeting. -- Salt Lake Tribune, "Ogden Priest Charged With Enticing Minor on the Net," http://www.sltrib.com/ 2003/May/05172003/utah/ 57724.asp , May 17 03
Youth group boys flown to and from island state for sex; Anglican sex ring for 30 years. ADELAIDE, S. Australia: An Adelaide Anglican Church youth leader sexually abused teenage boys as part of an interstate paedophile network which operated within the church for more than 30 years. An Anglican priest today will reveal Robert Brandenberg and three senior Anglican colleagues have been implicated in South Australia and Tasmania with an estimated 200 cases of sexual abuse dating back to the 1960s. The Advertiser, Adelaide, "Church Faces Calls For Action," http://www. theadvertiser.news.com.au/ common/story_page/0,5936,6473418%255E910,00.html , By Colin James, 22 May 2003.
PETER HOLLINGWORTH RESIGNS. AUSTRALIA:: Dr Peter Hollingworth has resigned from the office of Australian Governor-General due to the controversy surrounding his handling of child sexual abuse cases in the Anglican Church when he was the archbishop of Brisbane. -- Australian Broadcasting Corporation TV, http://www.abc.net. au/news/ , Sun May 25 03.
By the Windows: A crisis of faith. MALAYBALAY CITY (Philippines): Never in recent memory has the Philippine Catholic Church been confronted with a crisis of such magnitude as happened in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment hurled against Bishop Teodoro Bacani. He is a prominent church figure whose stand on certain social and political issues has presumably influenced policy-making. Some people's reaction is either one of disbelief or denial, or worse, irrational indignation toward the victim of Bacani’s alleged misconduct. Bacani went abroad after the issue became public. His spokesperson has virtually admitted the incident, although he interjected that the bishop acted with no malice aforethought. Minda News, http://www. mindanews.com/ 2003/06/ 18vws-boymords. html , by H. Marcos C. Mordeno Jun 18 03
Let off charge of commanding sex-abuse concealment, bishop later arrested for hit-and-run death. PHOENIX (Arizona): The Catholic bishop of Phoenix, Thomas O'Brien, 67, has been arrested and charged with leaving the scene of a fatal car accident on Saturday night [June 14]. Two weeks ago, Bishop O'Brien avoided charges on an accusation of ordering a priest to persuade a Catholic family not to report another priest's abuse of a child. The West Australian, "Bishop in car kill case," Jun 18 03, p 23
He resigned. The New York Times, Jun 18 / 19, 03
• Rogue bishops won't obey clean-up board; leader resigns. WASHINGTON (DC): On Monday, Frank Keating resigned his voluntary position as chairman of the National Review Board of lay Catholics charged with enforcing the zero-tolerance charter against child sexual abuse adopted last year by America's Roman Catholic Bishops. "I left, after almost exactly a year of service, for two reasons: the need to devote full time to my job, and frustration over the efforts of a small minority of church leaders to obstruct the workings of the board." New York Times, "Finding Hope in My Faith," Jun 19 03
• U.S. SUPREME COURT REFUSES RIGHTS OF VICTIMS. WASHINGTON (DC): A deeply divided Supreme Court, ruling in a case with potential impact on child abuse cases across the nation, decided that after the time for prosecuting a crime has run out, it is unconstitutional to pass a new law reviving the power to prosecute. The Boston Globe, "Court upholds statute of limitations on prosecution," (Poynteronline Abuse Tracker, Friday, Jun 27 2003)
Australian Jesuit leader reverses policy, apologises to victim. Australian Broadcasting Corporation, "7.30 Report," Jul 1 03. AUSTRALIA: Father Mark Raper, Australian Provincial (i.e., leader) of the Roman Catholic Jesuit Order, has reversed the Order's previous policy, and apologised in writing and on this programme to Mr Lucien Leech-Larkin, who was allegedly abused in 1968 by a science teacher, Mr Colin Fearon, at a Jesuit school. Fr Raper had decided to apologise after seeing the 23 June "7.30 Report".
Tolkien's son abuse case; Church payout. LONDON: The Catholic Church has made a $36,800 settlement with a former scout who claimed he had been sexually abused by Father John Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien. Christopher Carrie, 57, said he had been assaulted by the priest in a church in Birmingham, England, more than 40 years ago. The 85-year-old priest, who denied the allegations, died in January. The West Australian, "Payout in Tolkien abuse case," Tue Jul 22 03, p 23
Prosecutor issues church abuse report; 1,000 estimated victims since 1940; charges against leaders unlikely. BOSTON (Massachusetts): More than 1,000 people were probably sexually abused by clergy and other workers in the Boston Archdiocese over a period of six decades, Massachusetts Attorney General Tom Reilly said in a grand jury investigation report issued Wednesday. Reilly’s report suggests changes, but no charges are to be filed against church leaders because child-protection laws in place while abuses were occurring were too weak. Associated Press, Jul 23 03
!!!: Co-author of Anglican sex abuse research was abuser; Bishop acts on interviewees. AUSTRALIA: Tasmania's Anglican Bishop is urging child abuse victims to contact the church if they are concerned about their interviews for a report into sexual abuse within the diocese. The report's credibility has been brought into question, after admissions of sexual abuse by co-author Michael James Crowley. Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Tasmania, "Bishop urges victims to contact church with concerns," Jul 29 03
VATICAN THREATENED EXCOMMUNICATION FOR MAKING SEX ABUSE PUBLIC. BOSTON (MA): Catholic Church leaders has been instructed by the Vatican at least since 1962 to keep certain cases of clergy sexual abuse secret under pain of excommunication, according to Boston lawyer Carmen L. Durso. ... the 40-page Vatican document, called "On the Manner of Proceeding in Cases of Solicitation" (Latin title: "Crimen Sollicitationis") ... information regarding accusations against priests are to be deemed 'a secret of the Holy Office' ...," Mr. Durso said. Telegram & Gazette, "Vatican document instructed secrecy in abuse cases", Jul 29 03
• Paedophile John Geoghan Is Killed in a US Prison. Former ex-Boston Priest and Convicted Child Molester John Geoghan, the convicted child molester whose prosecution sparked the sex abuse scandal that shook the Roman Catholic Church nationwide, died on Saturday after being strangled by another inmate in a US prison. [The BBC said he was believed to have attacked more than 130 children over the past three decades.] American Broadcasting Corporation, Aug 23, 2003.
Police investigate priests for alleged paedophilia in Church institution . The Malta Independent, www.independent. com.mt/daily/ newsview.asp? id=21172 , ~ September 28, 2003. MALTA: The police are investigating what is alleged to be a long history of paedophilia in a Church home for boys involving at least four priests, some of whom were still in charge of children up to a few weeks ago. The cases of child abuse reported to the police go back to around 1983 and have been allegedly going on with other children up to this year, when all the priests involved were reportedly removed from having contact with children. Confirmed by very high-ranking members of the religious order running the institution, the allegations have been kept under wraps by the Curia, which received reports from ex-residents earlier this year.
!!! Go home and pray -- 1500 times! The Sunday Mail, by Chris Taylor, Jan 11, 2004. AUSTRALIA: A paedophile priest went to confession more than 1500 times to admit sexually abusing boys . . . but was told to go home and pray. Michael Joseph McArdle's weekly confessions were ignored by Catholic priests and hushed up by the church hierarchy.
Mexican priest sentenced for fondling girl during confession [2003] Mercury News, Associated Press (CSAT of Feb 10, 2004) LOS ANGELES (CA): Avdon Serratos, 31, a visiting priest from Mexico, was sentenced to a year in jail Tuesday for sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl whose confession he was hearing.
• Dupre accused of abuse, by newspaper, resigns next day The Republican, By Bill Zajac, Feb/11/2004 SPRINGFIELD (MA): Thomas L. Dupre resigned as bishop of the Springfield Roman Catholic Diocese today, a day after The Republican confronted him with accusations that he sexually abused two minor boys three decades ago when he was a priest. (DUPRE is pronouned Doo-PRAY]
Citing Survey, CNN Says 4,450 Priests Were Accused of Abuse The New York Times www.nytimes.com/ 2004/02/17/ national/17 PRIE.html By Laurie Goodstein, for Feb 17 04. NEW YORK: A nationwide survey on the extent and causes of sexual abuse by members of the Roman Catholic clergy has found that 4,450 priests have been accused of sexually abusing minors since 1950, according to a CNN report about a draft of the survey results.
• Former N.M. Archbishop Sanchez celebrates Mass in Alaska ALASKA: Eyewitness News 4 has learned former Santa Fe archbishop Robert Sanchez, who resigned after admitting having sex with women, is celebrating Mass in Alaska. Sanchez' name is mentioned in a report just released by the Archdiocese of Anchorage. KOB, www.kobtv.com/ index.cfm?viewer= storyviewer&id= 8645& cat=NMTOP STORIES , Feb 17, 2004
• Accuser: Priest's return a mistake [Pope overrides US bishops re Fr. Brian Bjorklund]. DETROIT (MI): In the light of the Catholic Church's zero-tolerance policy on sex abuse by clergy, John Jaruzel can't understand why it's OK for Rev. Brian Bjorklund, whom he says abused him, to return to work. The Rev. Brian Bjorklund's reinstatement to active ministry this week apparently is the first case in which the Vatican has overruled the U.S. bishops' promise to remove any priest who ever had sexual contact with boys or girls under age 18. -- Detroit Free Press, www.freep.com/ news/religion/ cath 27x_ 20040227.htm , Feb 27, 2004
[4% CATHOLIC PRIESTS ABUSED 10,600 CHILDREN] -- Study calls 4% involvement an 'epidemic'. [Vatican Ratzinger's 1% claim disproved.] Reuters, "Catholic Priests Abused 10,600 Children -- Study," www.reut ers. com/news Article.jhtml? type=dom estic News& story ID=4457831 , By Deborah Zabarenko, Feb 27 04. UNITED STATES: Two studies of the United States Roman Catholic Church said that 10,667 children said they were molested by priests from 1950 to 2002. One report, by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New York, revealed that the child sexual abuse involved 4,392 priests or 4 percent of U.S. RC clergy, and was probably an undercount. This study found reports of abuse peaked with the ordination class of 1970, from which one in 10 priests was eventually accused of abuse. Most victims were male, mainly boys 11 to 14 years old. $572 million had been paid in damages to abuse victims, including $85m from Boston Archdiocese , which had 7% of its clergy accused. The statistic of at least 4% nationally differs markedly from the figure of "less than 1 percent" offered in 2002 by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, head of the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. A second report said that much of the blame must be placed on the higher-ups. And, Barbara Blaine, president of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests [SNAP], said: "They want us to think it's all about a tiny group of bad-apple priests long ago. ... It's about the bishops, ... It's about the enablers, not the abusers." The recommendations included greater accountability of Church leaders, better interaction with civil authorities, and more meaningful participation by Church members. [Emphasis added] Feb 27 04
• Millstone monument for sex abuse victims dedicated at church. MENDHAM, N.J. -- The Roman Catholic St. Joseph's Church where several men say they were molested by the same priest many years ago now houses a 400-pound black basalt monument to child sex abuse victims, shaped like a millstone. -- Newsday, "Monument for sex abuse victims dedicated at Mendham church," April 26, 2004
• Are Church heads buried in the sand? Ostriches? There will be the unfrocking of an Anglican bishop on August 25, there are bankruptcy and parish closures facing Roman Catholic US dioceses, and one US diocese is suing another. Australian Church newspapers go on almost like the fabled ostriches with heads hidden in the sand. Leaflet, one page, Aug 18 04.
Ex-Anglican bishop defrocked. BRISBANE (Qld) AUSTRALIA: Former Anglican bishop Donald Shearman was today defrocked over his sexual relationship with a schoolgirl almost 50 years ago. [His case had been one of those which helped build outrage against the recent Govenor-General Hollingworth.] -- The Sunday Mail, Aug 25 04.
• FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS: A report on Australians who experienced institutional or out-of-home care as children. Parliament of Australia, Senate Community Affairs References Committee, www.aph.gov. au/Senate/ committee/clac_ ctte/inst_ care/report/ . CANBERRA: The Churches, community groups, and State Governments had failed the Australian children who were for whatever reason raised by people other than their parents, a Senate committee found. Cruelty, psychological deprivation, and sex abuse were reported by the former inmates. Aug 30 04
Austrians leaving Catholic church in droves after summer of scandal. VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Austrians disgusted by a summer of scandal involving child pornography at a seminary and a prominent priest accused of sexual abuse are leaving the Roman Catholic church in significant numbers, church leaders said Friday. In the Archdiocese of Vienna in two months 10,709 people had left the church. -- CBC, Sep 24, 2004
Catholics seek way to protect parishes' assets. Seattle Times. SPOKANE (WA): In the wake of the decision by the Spokane Roman Catholic Diocese to declare bankruptcy, Spokane parishes have formed a Parish Rights Association to protect their assets and the money donated to them. This is similar to parish groups that formed in Portland and Tucson, Ariz., after those dioceses declared bankruptcy earlier this year. Nov 12 04
• RCC Springfield Diocese says parish land belongs to the parish people. WWLP, "Diocese Property Sales," www.wwlp.com/ news 2004/story. html? artID= 54399 . SPRINGFIELD (MA) - Springfield Diocese netted millions in property sales and purchases. Asked to sell more land to settle abuse claims, the Diocese says most of the properties sold were parish-held and their sales benefited parish communities, not the Diocese at large. ~ Nov 30 04
RUNAWAY PRIESTS: WHEN THE LAW LOOKS THE OTHER WAY. The Dallas Morning News, www.dallasnews. com/s/dws/news/ dmn/stories/1205 04dnintpriests.20132.html . MANILA, Philippines - North Dakota police found RC priest, admitted boy-molester, Rev. Fernando Sayasaya here two years ago with the FBI's help. He works with young people here. He said his bishop warned him through an intermediary to stay out of the United States to avoid arrest. But law enforcement hasn't acted. This newspaper has had a yearlong study of how Catholic Church workers escape sexual abuse allegations by going abroad: Justice officials sometimes assist them and their religious superiors. Dec 4 04.
• [RCC Tucson diocese lawyer contradicts Phoenix diocese court claim that parish property is legally part of diocese property.] Arizona Daily Star, "Diocese: parishes separate," www.dailystar. com/ dailystar/ allheadlines/ 51923.php . TUCSON (AZ): Susan Boswell, the lead bankruptcy attorney for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson is contradicting a Diocese of Phoenix lawyer's contention that parishes are not separate financial entities. Phoenix attorneys Jon Weiss and Mark Wagner had filed a motion on behalf of the Phoenix diocese in October that said a parish "does not independently own any property or assets," and that parishes within a diocese are "part of the diocese itself" in civil law. Dec 10 04.
Church needs €50m over next 10 years for sex abuse victims.
Irish Independent, Fri, Dec 24 04. IRELAND: The Catholic hierarchy will have to find up to €50m over the next 10 years to compensate sex abuse victims, pay for their counselling services and fund a revamped and expanded child protection service, the Irish Independent has learned.
• NCR publisher Tom Fox, retiring, says RCC under JPII sees itself as impeccable, and the world as basically evil. KANSAS CITY (MO): When Tom Fox became editor of the National Catholic Reporter in 1980, he never imagined what he now sees in the Catholic Church.[...] Under this pope, he says, the church began to see the world "as evil, as basically flawed. The counterpoint to that is that the church is impeccable. What that led to very quickly was an inability of the church to be self-reflective." As that happened, Fox says, he began to get calls and letters from people in the church in pain, people who thought their voices were being stilled, scholars the Vatican was forbidding to teach in Catholic settings, even people who alleged sexual abuse by priests. The Kansas City Star, "NCR publisher looks back at church, forward to time," www.kansascity. com/mld/ kansas city/living/ 10492856.htm , Sat, Dec. 25, 2004.
Vatican Revisits Abuse Charges about leader of Legionaries of Christ. The Vatican has reopened an investigation into charges first reported nearly eight years ago that a powerful Mexican priest close to the pope sexually abused seminarians. The allegations focus on the actions of the Rev. Marcial Maciel Degollado, now 84 and based in Rome. He leads a religious order known as the Legionaries of Christ, which claims 600 priests in 18 countries. Its U.S. headquarters is in Orange and it has a seminary in Cheshire. Hartford Courant January 3, 2005
!!! ACCUSED PRIEST FILES SUIT AGAINST N.O. ARCHBISHOP. NEW ORLEANS (LA) - A Catholic priest took the extraordinary step of suing his archbishop Friday, charging that Archbishop Alfred Hughes defamed him by ordering him out of his Marrero pulpit last January on a charge that he molested a child in the 1980s. The Rev. Michael Fraser also charged that Hughes violated the church's own procedures when he relieved Fraser from ministry as pastor of Visitation of Our Lady Parish. -- The Times-Picayune, Jan 08, 2005
• "Holy Water-Gate: Abuse Cover-Up in the Catholic Church" last month won a CINE Golden Eagle Award for excellence. Directed by Rhode Islander Mary Healey-Conlon, it is a 56-minute documentary film about the far-reaching sexual-abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church. The premiere will be on Monday Jan 10 in Brookline, Mass. -- Providence Journal, Jan 8, 2005
• [EMOTIONAL STRESS BREAKTHROUGH; $68M case against Nashville Diocese will proceed.] TENNESSEE - In a unanimous decision, the Tennessee Supreme Court has cleared the way for a $68 million sexual child abuse lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nashville to go forward. The ruling sets a new legal standard for finding reckless infliction of emotional distress. The court's decision holds that reckless infliction of emotional distress doesn't have to be based on conduct that was directed at a specific person, or that took place in the presence of the plaintiff. Nashville Business Journal, "$68M case against Nashville Diocese will proceed," http://nashville. bizjournals.com /nashville/stories/ 2005/01/17/ daily16.html , Jan 17, 2005
JURY: SHANLEY GUILTY OF CHILD RAPE. BOSTON (MA) -- After three days of deliberations, a jury found defrocked priest Paul Shanley guilty of two charges of child rape and indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14 Monday. The case against Shanley, 74, hinged solely on the account of one unidentified accuser, now 27, who said that memories of abuse came flooding back a few years ago. The defense criticized the concept of "repressed memories," and questioned the alleged victim's motive. -- TheBoston Channel.com ; www.the boston channel. com/ news/4171735/ detail.html , February 7, 2005.
• Convicted pedophile priest James Porter dies at 70. BOSTON (MA) - Former priest James Porter, 70, whose widespread molestation of dozens of children from Massachusetts to Minnesota and beyond was exposed in a 1993 trial that foreshadowed the clergy sex abuse scandal that swept the Roman Catholic church later, died Friday, possibly of incurable cancer, in a Boston hospital. He had been transferred there from a prison hospital. One lawyer alone had 101 clients who blamed Porter for sexually abusing them as children. -- Pioneer Press, ~ February 11, 2005
Diocese unveils monument - RCC. Another millstone monument. DAVENPORT (IA) - The Catholic Diocese of Davenport announced plans Friday to create a millstone monument to victims of clergy sexual abuse. -- Quad-City Times, By Todd Ruger, ~ February 12, 2005
• Priest sues own diocese, alleging abuse by priest as teen. PITTSBURGH (PA) - A Roman Catholic priest is suing his own diocese, saying he was sexually abused as a teen by a now-deceased priest who taught at his high school. The Rev. John Nesbella alleges that he was abused more than 25 years ago, when he was 16, at a rectory operated by the Altoona-Johnstown diocese, the diocese said in a statement. - The Philadelphia Inquirer, Associated Press, ~ Feb 18, 2005
Whistleblower Haley faces judges in canon law trial. WASHINGTON (DC) - A whistleblower Catholic priest, the Rev. James Haley, 48, of the Diocese of Arlington, says his bishop is persecuting him because of his activism against homosexuals in the priesthood. He appeared yesterday for a final hearing in an ecclesiastical court case brought against him by Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde. The case has lasted more than three years. Haley submitted five volumes of documents bolstering his contention that the Catholic priesthood is heavily weighted with homosexuals. Haley denied sexual-misconduct charges against him, then revealed in a July 24, 2002, deposition filed in Arlington County Circuit Court a lengthy account of adultery and homosexual affairs among certain priests in the Northern Virginia diocese. -- The Washington Times, http://washing tontimes.com/ national/ 20050217- 114811- 6642r.htm , February 17, 2005
• Ruling offers new basis for suits against churches. BOSTON (MA) - A Superior Court judge has ruled that a Jehovah's Witness church in Boston can be sued for breaking its trust and legal duty to a girl who said she was sexually abused by one of the church's ministerial servants. The Suffolk Superior Court ruling is believed to be the first time a Massachusetts court has determined that church officials have a "fiduciary duty" to members of their congregation, a relationship akin to the one lawyers and doctors share with clients and patients. -- The Boston Globe, February 23, 2005
Church abuse play wins Pulitzer. UNITED STATES - A play about child abuse in the Roman Catholic Church has been awarded the prestigious Pulitzer Prize for drama. "Doubt", by Oscar-winning writer John Patrick Shanley, won the prize just two days after the death of the Pope. The play is about a priest accused of molesting a boy. It comes after a damaging scandal in the US Catholic Church that implicated 4,000 priests. Stars including Harvey Keitel and David Hasselhoff turned up when "Doubt" opened on Broadway last week after an acclaimed off-Broadway run. -- BBC News, ~ April 5, 2005
• Update: Jury Finds Oakland Diocese Negligent In Sexual Abuse Case. HAYWARD (CA) (BCN) - An Alameda County Superior Court jury ruled today that the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland was negligent in allowing two former Antioch altar boys to be molested by their parish priest. After only a day of deliberations, the 10-woman, two-man panel awarded Robert and Tom Thatcher a total of $1.93 million in compensatory and punitive damages. Although many Catholic priests have stood trial on sex abuse allegations, Simons said he believes the Thatchers' case is the first trial in the U.S. in which the policies of a diocese have been put on trial. -- KPIX, Apr/13/05
[COMMENT: In a later newsitem (June 15, 2005) it is reported in the Centre Daily that there had been a previous U.S. trial concerning the policies of a diocese. It was in 1994 that the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese and its bishop were found responsible because of negligence in retaining the Rev. Francis Luddy, the newspaper stated. COMMENT ENDS.]
!!!: Former Nun Accuses Local Principal Of Sexual Abuse. NORWICH (CT) - Gabrielle Azzaro says it began when she was a young nun teaching in a parochial school in Pennsylvania. "I was teaching eighth grade, she was the principal," Azzaro said Tuesday. "She would come into my bedroom every night and get her sexual needs met and then turn and fall asleep." Now, 20 years later, Azzaro has learned that the woman she says abused her is the principal of an elementary school in the diocese of Norwich. -- The Day (USA), www.theday.com/ eng/web/news/ re.aspx?re= 7A36F335-7DA5- 480B-BC4B- 82AACFD0ACD8 , May/4/2005
!!!: [Unsuccessful argument that Church is autonomous, and some papers can be kept from courts]. MISSISSIPPI - The Mississippi Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the First Amendment does not prohibit lawsuits against the Catholic Diocese of Jackson over allegations of sexual abuse by priests. Three brothers filed a $48 million lawsuit in Hinds County Circuit Court in 2002. They claimed they were abused by a priest more than 30 years ago. The diocese argued that the separation of church and state made the church autonomous. It also said certain church documents were privileged. -- WLOX, "Court Says Allegations Against Jackson Catholic Diocese Can Go To Trial," www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=3306933 , ~ May 05, 2005
• [Orange Diocese will be offering $US 100m payout - a record.] CALIFORNIA - On May 17, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge will issue a ruling determining which priest personnel files will become public as part of the record-breaking $100 million settlement reached earlier this year between the Orange diocese and sex-abuse victims. Diocese of Boise Bishop Michael Driscoll was in charge of priests' personnel affairs in the Orange Diocese from 1976 to 1999. -- Orange County Weekly, "Take the Bishop Michael Driscoll Pedo-Quiz!" ~ May 13, 2005
[Various Churches responsible for $CAN 84.7 billion liability over abuse of Indigenous children in residential schools, 1850s-1970] CANADA - 'This is a moment for the ages," Grand Chief Phil Fontaine, leader of the Assembly of First Nations, said the other day after Paul Martin's Liberal government announced a deal worth perhaps $6-billion to compensate former students of residential schools. (The newsitem then listed other such "moments" in various Provinces, being $2, $5.7, $30+, $41 billion respectively.) The church-run residential schools were a shameful chapter in this country's history. -- The Globe and Mail, Residential schools and an open wallet, June 3, 2005
• [Altoona-Johnstown Diocese and Bishop Hogan in 1994 had been found liable for retaining paedophile priest; Hogan dies at 93.] HOLLIDAYSBURG, Pa. - In 1994 a Blair County jury found Bishop James J. Hogan of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown (who died on Monday) liable for the actions of a priest, Francis Luddy, accused of molesting a child. The diocese and Hogan had known the priest "had a propensity for pedophiliac behavior" and were negligent in retaining him as a priest and supervising his activities. Luddy has since been defrocked. -- Centre Daily, Altoona-Johnstown Bishop Hogan dies at 93 , ~ June 15, 2005
• [Insurance company not liable for Luddy's abuse expenses.] HOLLIDAYSBURG (PA) - A Blair County judge ruled Friday that the Altoona-Johnstown Catholic Diocese's former insurance company should not have to pay the expenses of the sexual abuse case involving former Priest Francis Luddy. In 1994, a jury awarded Hutchison, who now lives in Akron, Ohio, more than $1 million for offenses that occurred in 1983 and 1984. -- Altoona Mirror, Judge rules on diocese payment ~ June 18, 2005
[Covington RC Diocese may settle for $US 120m on July 5. New record?] COVINGTON (KY) - After months of direct negotiations, lawyers for the Covington Diocese and sex abuse victims have agreed on a settlement that could pay as much as $120 million to a large number of victims. On July 5 both parties will seek court approval. -- Cincinnati Post, Legal foes join forces in church abuse case, June 23, 2005
[Contract with God, not with Sydney Archdiocese!!!] AUSTRALIA - JOHN Andrew Ellis says he was a high-flying lawyer at Baker&McKenzie when memories of childhood sexual abuse resurfaced and ruined his career. ... he was unable to manage staff. ... this problem stemmed directly from 12 years of sexual abuse inflicted by a now deceased Catholic priest, Aidan Duggan. But the church argues it cannot be held liable for any damages claim because Duggan was not employed by the Sydney A

+Quote Post
tienken
post Feb 16 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #77

AF Geek
Group Icon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederast#Non-Western_examples
We white males aren't the only ones who have molested children you know. As for the catolics i remember hearing somwhere that there is some sort of tradition that love with boys isn't as dirty as love with women. As for the bible arguments if i remember corectly it says in genesis that God created Eve as a companion to Adam? And as for paul the common intepretation is that he meant that you could serve good moore fullhearted if you where on your own.

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 16 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #78

AF Fiend
Group Icon

the problem is not exclusive to the catholic priest.
The fact and news show that Catholic priests sexual abuse children as well as Vatican cover up is a global issue.

we can accused anyone for anything just because we hate them for being different. of different religion, of different race, of different nationailty... and so on.

[/quote]

It is a fact not an accusation.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1945848.stm

Canada and The Netherlands are mentioned in the Men’s Issues pages of
the World Wide Web Virtual Library at
http://www.vix.com/men/abuse/clergy.html

The UK newspaper, The Guardian, September 17, 2001, has a report on
abuse by Catholic priests in England and Wales
http://society.guardian.co.uk/children/sto...,553416,00.html

Electronic Newsroom mentions cases in South Africa
http://www.ucc.org/news/e051702e.htm

ETaiwanNews reports a case in Australia
http://www.etaiwannews.com/Asia/2002/06/01/1022899526.htm

A news article from the BBC News web site, 2 May 2002, mentions cases
in Hong Kong, France, Ireland and Austria
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asi...000/1963716.stm

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 16 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #79

AF Fiend
Group Icon

biggthumpup.gif
QUOTE (tienken @ Feb 16 2006, 04:54 AM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederast#Non-Western_examples
We white males aren't the only ones who have molested children you know. As for the catolics i remember hearing somwhere that there is some sort of tradition that love with boys isn't as dirty as love with women. As for the bible arguments if i remember corectly it says in genesis that God created Eve as a companion to Adam? And as for paul the common intepretation is that he meant that you could serve good moore fullhearted if you where on your own.

biggthumpup.gif icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
susan12
post Feb 16 2006, 05:47 AM
Post #80

AF Fiend
Group Icon

the important word here is accused. we can accused anyone for anything just because we hate them for being different. of different religion, of different race, of different nationailty... and so on.

[/quote]

Some more link for you!
http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/archives...104/052104p.htm
Sexual abuse by priests in the spotlight in Spain

By JOHN L. ALLEN JR.
Madrid

A new movie by controversial Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar, plus a series of recent criminal convictions, have thrown a spotlight on sexual abuse by Catholic priests in Spain, according to a May 10 feature by the leading Spanish daily El País.

Since the sexual abuse crisis in the United States broke in January 2002, some commentators have labeled the phenomenon an “American problem.” By way of contrast, the El País report indicates that overwhelmingly Catholic Spain is struggling with strikingly similar revelations.

The lengthy two-page story appeared in an English-language supplement culled from El País and distributed with the Spanish edition of the International Herald Tribune.

In recent months, El País reported, a priest in the Spanish town of Jaen, Luis José Beltrán Calvo, was sentenced to eight months in prison for repeated sexual abuse of a boy that began when the boy was 11 and lasted until he was 14. In Pontevedra, another priest, Edelmiro Rial, was sentenced to 15 years on 10 counts of sexual abuse and two attempts of abuse involving six adolescents. In Barcelona, Ramón López Sánchez received 28 years for abusing three minors, and in Madrid, José Luis Martín de la Peña was sentenced to 10 years for the repeated abuse of his housekeeper’s daughter, which began when the girl was three years old.

While El País reported that reliable estimates as to the size and scope of the problem are difficult to obtain, it cited one 10-year-old study by Félix López Sánchez, a professor of sexual psychology at the University of Salamanca. Based on a survey of 2,000 people, the majority of whom had been to colleges and homes run by religious organizations, Sánchez’s survey found that 15 percent of Spanish males reported having experienced at least one act of sexual abuse prior to age 17. Nine percent of those cases, the report concluded, involved priests.

Only one percent of acts of abuse against women, the study found, had been committed by religious women.

A new film on the subject by the Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar, called “Bad Education,” opens this week at the Cannes Film Festival. It deals with sexual abuse by Catholic priests during the Franco years in Spain.

El País said the Spanish bishops declined to cooperate in the preparation of its report.

“A great many people from different quarters are calling for the church to overcome its phobias, to end the policy of secrecy and its contradictory doctrine regarding sexual matters, and face up to the problem,” the El País article concluded.

“It must cease to be seen as a club that protects its members, they say. It cannot hide away any longer, hoping the problem will disappear.

National Catholic Reporter, May 21, 2004

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:58 AM