Reply to this topicStart new topic
Traditional Mongolian Massage
mellotello
post Mar 8 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members

Hi All,

I am a massage therapist and researching the techniques of Mongolian Massage and the similarities/differences between it and Indian Ayurvedic massage and Tibetan Massage

For example, what oils would be used traditionally? Would the oils contain herbs?

What particular 'moves' would be used? In Indian/Tibetan Ayurveda, long smooth strokes are used on the limbs and circular strokes on the joints. Is this the same with Mongolian Massage? I have heard in Mongolia massage a lot of figure of 8 moves are used.

Is a herbal powder always used at the end of the massage as it is in Tibet?

I am also very interested to learn more about the massage Mongolian warriers used to reduce fear before they went into battle.

I would be very grateful if anyone with any information, or who knows someone who might be able to help me would email me.
Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sirikittong
post Mar 8 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #2

AF Elite
Group Icon

Is it better than Thai massage? If it is, then id love to try it. embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
mellotello
post Mar 8 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Sirikittong @ Mar 8 2006, 11:46 AM) *
Is it better than Thai massage? If it is, then id love to try it. embarassedlaugh.gif

As far as I know, Traditional Mongolian Massage is a oil massage using lots of deep moves and acupressure, but there is very little information on it. I believe it is similar to Tibetan masssage and draws from Buddhist Ayurvedic philosophy. Perhaps the techniques have been lost . bawling.gif

+Quote Post
Subedey
post Mar 8 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #4

AF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Validating

QUOTE (mellotello @ Mar 8 2006, 06:09 PM) *
As far as I know, Traditional Mongolian Massage is a oil massage using lots of deep moves and acupressure, but there is very little information on it. I believe it is similar to Tibetan masssage and draws from Buddhist Ayurvedic philosophy. Perhaps the techniques have been lost . bawling.gif

nope, techniques haven't been lost. people do practice it in Mongolia, I can assure you on that. unfortunately I can't help you know more about it, despite my efforts to find info on the net. you're right about acupression, won't be far from truth if I say it hurts. good luck anyway.

This post has been edited by Subedey: Mar 8 2006, 12:47 PM

+Quote Post
Bariach
post Jun 2 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Hi Mellotello,
Maybe my reply is too late for you. I am a practitioner of Mongolian Traditional Medicine. Mongolian massage is called Baria Zasal in Mongolian and a practitioner of this tradition is called a Bariach. Mongolian Traditional Medicine is a complex system of Mongolian indigenious medical tradition and Tiebtan medicine as well as Chinese and Indian Ayurvedic medicine. Also there are several different techniques are used in Mongolian baria zasal practice. Mongols' nomadic way of living, specially experience from the battlefield have been created this extraordinary system of therapeutic method in Mongolia for centuries and the tradition is also greatly influenced by medical traditions of their neighbours. Intitially it was based on everyday exeriences of the battlefield and horseback traumas, but introdution of Tibetan Buddhism in the country in 13-17th century made a great turn to the Baria Zasal by the influences of theoritical knowledge of Tibetan and Ayurvedic medicines.

Unfortunately, Mongolia was under the communist rule for seventy years and many of the practitioners are prosecuted and killed by KGB guys during the regime backed by the Soviet. Though the practice were banned for several decades, it is survived among population beacuse most of the people in Mongolia prefer their tradition rather than alopathic medicine.

Briefly Baria Zasal uses acupressure points and energy channels for improving energy and blood circullation and different manifulations are used to relieve pain and discomfort in the body. For western people it maybe too painful and hurting, but it is effective. Different kinds of medicated oils can be used according to its textbook. Some practitioners use barley flour at the end of the massage as like Tibetans.

Almost nothing done on this tradition in the west unless an ironic claim and attemt of ownership of Mongolian Hot Milk Massage TM by some people from UK.
There are several Schools for Traditional Mongolian Medicine teach Baria Zasal for their students.

+Quote Post
tangawizi
post Jun 4 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #6

AF Supreme
Group Icon

i saw the traditional mongolian massage on a taiwanese travel documentary -- the folks were given a sauna of some kind and then the massage and wrapping in a blanket.. and then they finish with a strong herbal drink

didn't look anything like a Balinese spa... but more like a barn... hehehe embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
Henry123
post Jun 4 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #7

AF Guru
Group Icon

Shamanic origin?
I always like this sort of stuff. Its in my blood.

+Quote Post
tony30w
post Oct 24 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (tangawizi @ Jun 4 2008, 06:16 AM) *
i saw the traditional mongolian massage on a taiwanese travel documentary -- the folks were given a sauna of some kind and then the massage and wrapping in a blanket.. and then they finish with a strong herbal drink

didn't look anything like a Balinese spa... but more like a barn... hehehe laugh.gif

Thanks tangawizi, I know that taiwanese travel documentary It is interesting matter their folks different and herbal drink.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 07:21 PM