AzNgIrL
post May 5 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #1

AF Elite
Group Icon

Group: Members

This question has always been asked.
What Is Hmong?

I found a site about the Hmong people. I will edit as I find more. icon_wink.gif

Until 1999, the Hmong people have lived without an archive of our own. The reasons can be found in our history. Over 5,000 years ago the Hmong, once highly developed with a rich culture in northeast China under the leadership of the Hmong king Chiyou, were invaded, conquered, and suppressed by the expansionist Chinese. Our civilization was taken away.

The Hmong were forced to migrate to southern China and some eventually arrived in Southeast Asia. In Laos, we were drawn into the Indochinese War on the side of the French and later of the Americans. When the communists took over Laos in 1975, we began to disperse to many parts of the world. Now we can be found in China, Vietnam, Laos, Burma, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, French Guyana, Argentina, Canada, and the United States.

The Hmong have already lost much of our history over the years because historical records and artifacts have been neglected, thrown away, lost or destroyed. Through the Hmong Nationality Archives we want to locate and make available the remaining materials in order to ensure that they are properly handled and preserved. This way the vital heritage of our nationality will not be destroyed or forgotten.

"Hmong Australians are one of the most recently arrived groups in this country.
Their number is, of course, small but their courage in seeking to take their place in our community, the contribution they have already made to our society and the welcome diversity their culture has added to the Australian way of life are out of proportion to their size."

This post has been edited by AzNgIrL: May 5 2004, 08:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JMAC
post May 5 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Excellent post! icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
AzNgIrL
post May 5 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #3

AF Elite
Group Icon

Thank You. I'm still on the search of finding more. Feel free to post anything extra you wish to add icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bound_Playa
post May 5 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #4

AF Fan
Group Icon

beerchug.gif wow dat was educational ^_^ :genius:

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post May 5 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

dude change your sig, no nudity in asiafinest.lol.
Um.French Guyana and Argentina? What South American--> Hmongo <--.

+Quote Post
AzNgIrL
post May 5 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #6

AF Elite
Group Icon

Lol, first off the picture there isn't nude. Just no shirt embarassedlaugh.gif love2.gif

Argentina? What?? confused.gif

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post May 5 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #7

AF Elite
Group Icon

How did they ended up there.....
I didn't even know.

i wonder how they look like....(they look like mexicans) mwhaha.

+Quote Post
chou_xiong
post May 7 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #8

AF Fiend
Group Icon

Group: Banned

This question has always been asked.
What Is Hmong?

I found a site about the Hmong people. I will edit as I find more. 

Until 1999, the Hmong people have lived without an archive of our own. The reasons can be found in our history. Over 5,000 years ago the Hmong, once highly developed with a rich culture in northeast China under the leadership of the Hmong king Chiyou, were invaded, conquered, and suppressed by the expansionist Chinese. Our civilization was taken away.

The Hmong were forced to migrate to southern China and some eventually arrived in Southeast Asia. In Laos, we were drawn into the Indochinese War on the side of the French and later of the Americans. When the communists took over Laos in 1975, we began to disperse to many parts of the world. Now we can be found in China, Vietnam, Laos, Burma, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, French Guyana, Argentina, Canada, and the United States.

The Hmong have already lost much of our history over the years because historical records and artifacts have been neglected, thrown away, lost or destroyed. Through the Hmong Nationality Archives we want to locate and make available the remaining materials in order to ensure that they are properly handled and preserved. This way the vital heritage of our nationality will not be destroyed or forgotten.

"Hmong Australians are one of the most recently arrived groups in this country.
Their number is, of course, small but their courage in seeking to take their place in our community, the contribution they have already made to our society and the welcome diversity their culture has added to the Australian way of life are out of proportion to their size."

This post has been edited by AzNgIrL on May 5 2004, 09:32 PM

next time maybe a better topic would be "who are the hmong" not "What"

+Quote Post
AzNgIrL
post May 7 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #9

AF Elite
Group Icon

The FAQ was not "Who are the Hmong", they've always been "What is Hmong"

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post May 8 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #10

AF Elite
Group Icon

^ agree.

+Quote Post
chou_xiong
post May 10 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #11

AF Fiend
Group Icon

i strongly dissagree because we know who we are and we are hmong....you know who you are rite? are you not hmong? if you don't know who you are..... but then i ask you ....not "who are you" but "what are you then"?????

+Quote Post
pnyaj
post May 10 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #12

AF Geek
Group Icon

I think we all know who we are. When an individual ask “What is Hmong?” obviously, that person don’t know WHAT hmong is, therefore the question “what is Hmong?” is often asked. When “Who are the Hmong?” is asked you must first know what Hmong is before asking who?
“What” defines the meaning of Hmong. “Who” define people/person.
For example. If someone would to ask me “What is Hmong?” I can tell them what are Hmong and the background and history. But if the question “Who is the Hmong?” I can say my mom, dad, sisters, brothers, and anyone that is related to me. For that reason, I am not defining what Hmong is rather then giving name of people who are Hmong.

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post May 10 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #13

AF Elite
Group Icon

Nicely said.

+Quote Post
chou_xiong
post May 11 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #14

AF Fiend
Group Icon

here is a better way to say it....when a person ask you what ethnicity you are you say hmong..right... and if that person wants to know more....would he say what is hmong... dispite that he did not know hmong or should he ask who are the hmong? i think that it is obvious that one would ask who are the hmong because he knows that you are refering to a human culture so as a result who are the hmong would seem the proper way to ask..always remember that what refers to things and if and only if one know that hmong is a person then who will be use..
If someone would to ask me “What is Hmong?” I can tell them what are Hmong and the background and history. But if the question “Who is the Hmong?” I can say my mom, dad, sisters, brothers, and anyone that is related to me.

i think that who are the hmong is the proper way to say it if even though you are refering to hmong culture as well becasue we know that we are hmong and other will know that we are hmong if they ask....but for example....does this sound ok....what is American or who are the American.....or .....what is chinese or who are the chinese.....

i hope you guys get my point here.... :genius:

+Quote Post
Chinese Pride
post May 11 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #15

AF Geek
Group Icon

ummm, what does hmong people look like? do they look like viets or malays?

+Quote Post
IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3
post May 11 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #16

AF Elite
Group Icon

No they dont look like viet nor malaysian.

+Quote Post
xiaowind
post May 12 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #17

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (IYIiDWeSt_T.S.I3 @ May 12 2004, 12:26 AM)
No they dont look like viet nor malaysian.

What's there culture, or what represent there culture best?

+Quote Post
chou_xiong
post May 12 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #18

AF Fiend
Group Icon

our culture are catogorize as SHAMAN and what represent the culture best are the clothing and its design and we are the only asian that use the QEEJ in funeral which are made of bamboo into musical insturtment(music trasform into words for the dead...other culture also use the QEEJ but not for funeral and it it very large

+Quote Post
xiaowind
post May 12 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #19

AF Geek
Group Icon

QUOTE (chou_xiong @ May 12 2004, 02:04 PM)

our culture are catogorize as SHAMAN and what represent the culture best are the clothing and its design and we are the only asian that use the QEEJ in funeral which are made of bamboo into musical insturtment(music trasform into words for the dead...other culture also use the QEEJ but not for funeral and it it very large

Thanks.
I've not heard of that before, may be the Hmong's Chinese pronunciation differs from it's english one too much?

+Quote Post
aznpeople
post May 13 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #20

AF Guru
Group Icon

Finally, someone smart enough to make a post likt this....

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 03:21 AM