Reply to this topicStart new topic
How hard is it to make it to the NBA?
nicesinging1
post May 27 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #1

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hi, everyone. As NBA draft is within a month away, I have always wanted to know how hard it is to make it to the NBA. Although I am no NBA expert, I am pretty certain that it is extremely hard to make it to the NBA. Heck, I often see players who were drafted in 2nd round don't survive in NBA. In some cases, players drafted in 1st round, too.
When I see players like Trajan Langdon who starred at Duke, Mateen Cleaves who led Mich. State to Final Four, Ed Cota who was a fantastic PG for UNC, get burned in NBA and are forced to play in Europe instead, it makes me wonder how competitive NBA is. Charles Barkley once said "People underestimate how good NBA players are. Even bad players in NBA are really good players."
Last year, my university produced Conference Player of the Year. Although my school is in low conference, we were all excited and thought he would be drafted. Turns out, he wasn't even drafted in 2nd round. So here are my questions for u guys. 1. How hard is it exactly to make it to the NBA? If you can, can u give me an example? 2. What kind of things do NBA scouts value more in players? Fundamentals or athleticism? Thanks in advance for any insights.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SevenEighthsAsia...
post May 27 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #2

AF Elite
Group Icon

It's pretty hard. The $hit guys in the NBA would probably dominate overseas.

+Quote Post
CircleK
post May 27 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #3

AF Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE(SevenEighthsAsian @ May 27 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]1891680[/snapback]

It's pretty hard. The $hit guys in the NBA would probably dominate overseas.

Maybe in the past, but it's become more of an international sport. Do remember who didn't win the gold or the silver?

+Quote Post
ham_let
post May 27 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #4

AF Legend
Group Icon

Group: AF Forum Police

^but the really good international players go to the NBA to play anyways, b/c that's where the big money is. so either way, international leagues still kinda suck.

+Quote Post
IniTiaL V.
post May 28 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #5

AF Elite
Group Icon

i have a friend who got drafted to play australian football by the sydney swans but he told me that he wants to play college ball and make it to the NBA. i laughed at his @$$. don't get me wrong, i reckon he's pretty good but making it to the NBA? i said to him just stick with AFL

+Quote Post
CircleK
post May 28 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #6

AF Fan
Group Icon

There's alot of players out there who's talented enough to play for the nba, but ain't in the NBA. Then again there's alot of players in the leauge I don't think should be playing neither.

+Quote Post
ham_let
post May 28 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #7

AF Legend
Group Icon

i figure it's harder than the NHL, right?

b/c there are a couple of people from my high school in the NHL right now, and a couple of people in my grade that i personally think will make it to the NHL.

+Quote Post
ChangGang
post May 28 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #8

AF Guru
Group Icon

I would have to say SIZE matters a lot! You would have to really impress the NBA scouts while playing in a Divison 1 college against other great players from other teams. Definitely have to be able to do a layup with both your right and left hand is a big plus I heard.

+Quote Post
PHUT!
post May 28 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #9

AF Pro
Group Icon

you have to be good, good to the point where you have no fear

it's hard... that's why there are HS, College basketball programs to prepare. and even at that, there is no guarantee to success

+Quote Post
ham_let
post May 28 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #10

AF Legend
Group Icon

and once the scouts no your amazing, you have to make sure you don't seriously injure yourself in your senior year >__<

+Quote Post
cRazY_hMoNg_kId
post May 30 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #11

AF Fiend
Group Icon

its not hard at all to make the NBA ... if your good, you have a chance ... you just remember ... you can always go overseas to get more experience ... also ... you can make a NBA team ... and ride the bench the whole year ... its just like every other sport ... you can make it ... the question is ... will u be good and get to play ...

+Quote Post
jose cuervo
post May 30 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #12

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(nicesinging1 @ May 27 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]1891649[/snapback]

Hi, everyone. As NBA draft is within a month away, I have always wanted to know how hard it is to make it to the NBA. Although I am no NBA expert, I am pretty certain that it is extremely hard to make it to the NBA. Heck, I often see players who were drafted in 2nd round don't survive in NBA. In some cases, players drafted in 1st round, too.
When I see players like Trajan Langdon who starred at Duke, Mateen Cleaves who led Mich. State to Final Four, Ed Cota who was a fantastic PG for UNC, get burned in NBA and are forced to play in Europe instead, it makes me wonder how competitive NBA is. Charles Barkley once said "People underestimate how good NBA players are. Even bad players in NBA are really good players."
Last year, my university produced Conference Player of the Year. Although my school is in low conference, we were all excited and thought he would be drafted. Turns out, he wasn't even drafted in 2nd round. So here are my questions for u guys. 1. How hard is it exactly to make it to the NBA? If you can, can u give me an example? 2. What kind of things do NBA scouts value more in players? Fundamentals or athleticism? Thanks in advance for any insights.

What do NBA scouts want? How about size, athleticism, and major upside. There's a reason why the Lakers traded their 28 year old all star center Vlade at the time for the draft rights of 17 year old Kobe in '96. There's a reason why Lebron James was the first pick over so many college players and no one would predict he would be so good in his rookie year.

Put it this way it's almost impossible in making it to the NBA. I remember reading somewhere that the odds are 1 out of 450 million that's just not in the U.S. but the world. You cannot be just good, but great. Basically all of the NBA players were at one point superstars on their high school or college team.

+Quote Post
ChangGang
post May 30 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #13

AF Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE(cRazY_hMoNg_kId @ May 30 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]1901970[/snapback]

its not hard at all to make the NBA ... if your good, you have a chance ... you just remember ... you can always go overseas to get more experience ... also ... you can make a NBA team ... and ride the bench the whole year ... its just like every other sport ... you can make it ... the question is ... will u be good and get to play ...

Anyone who believes what you just said is a bigger idiot than you are. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 10:04 PM