+Quote Post
Ek-ek
post May 24 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

Group: Members

Nice!

These musical instruments were part of the rich history of the Philippines!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BatangDamo
post May 24 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (morena @ May 24 2004, 04:04 AM)

the kulintang i remember during elementary in Davao, every feild demo and festival event in the school. i miss it...

+Quote Post
kim_kayie
post May 24 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #4

AF Pro
Group Icon

i love to watch those people playing kulintang...
as if there's no sound that will come out from the instrument...

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post May 24 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #5

AF Supreme
Group Icon

WOW GREAT TOPIC AND PICS MORENA!!!!!!!! U MADE ME CRY HAPPINESS!!! beerchug.gif

I REMEMBER THE KULINTANG IN MY FILIPINO DANCE TROUPE, UNFORTUNATELY I WAS NOT THE ONE TO PLAY IT... HAHA I HAD THIS OTHER WERID INSTURMENT THAT LOOKED GOOFY BUT THANK GOD I DIDNT HAVE THAT COW BELL HAHA!!!

AND I REMEMBER KALI STICK FIGHTING I ALWAYS SLIP OFF MY HAND AND FLY ACROSS THE GYM embarassedlaugh.gif

& THAT DOOD WITH THE GANGAS LOOKS LIKE A GREAT MAN!!!!!!! AHHA biggrin.gif I WISH I CAN MEET HIM AND HE CAN TEACH ME ALL ABOUT IGOROT (OR HIS TRIBE AT LEAST) embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post
BatangDamo
post May 24 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (dalawapo @ May 24 2004, 11:47 PM)

I REMEMBER THE KULINTANG IN MY FILIPINO DANCE TROUPE, UNFORTUNATELY I WAS NOT THE ONE TO PLAY IT... HAHA I HAD THIS OTHER WERID INSTURMENT THAT LOOKED GOOFY BUT THANK GOD I DIDNT HAVE THAT COW BELL HAHA!!!

AND I REMEMBER KALI STICK FIGHTING I ALWAYS SLIP OFF MY HAND AND FLY ACROSS THE GYM embarassedlaugh.gif

& THAT DOOD WITH THE GANGAS LOOKS LIKE A GREAT MAN!!!!!!! AHHA biggrin.gif I WISH I CAN MEET HIM AND HE CAN TEACH ME ALL ABOUT IGOROT (OR HIS TRIBE AT LEAST) embarassedlaugh.gif

the kulintang sounds really great, just like a xilophone or something....

+Quote Post
Ek-ek
post May 25 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #7

AF Supreme
Group Icon

I have a nose flute back at home..........

+Quote Post
dalawapo
post May 25 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #8

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE (BatangDamo @ May 25 2004, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE (dalawapo @ May 24 2004, 11:47 PM)

AND I REMEMBER KALI STICK FIGHTING I ALWAYS SLIP OFF MY HAND AND FLY ACROSS THE GYM  embarassedlaugh.gif

the kulintang sounds really great, just like a xilophone or something....

i was watching a documentary one day, and i think they said the xilophone or whatever was first invented by the laos.... or maybe hmong?? i dunno im not for shure. beerchug.gif can you find that out for me? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ek-ek
post May 25 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #9

AF Supreme
Group Icon

I do not think so...................

+Quote Post
morena
post May 27 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #10

AF Fiend
Group Icon

QUOTE (dalawapo @ May 25 2004, 11:11 PM)
i was watching a documentary one day, and i think they said the xilophone or whatever was first invented by the laos.... or maybe hmong?? i dunno im not for shure. beerchug.gif can you find that out for me? biggrin.gif

The kulintang, or gongs in a row, is basically a melody instrument played by a single performer as a solo instrument or as part of an ensemble. It consists of eight gongs placed horizontally in a frame and tuned to a flexible pentatonic or five-tone scale. Among the Islamic peoples of the South of the kulintang ensemble, where it is the primary melody instrument supported by the dabakan (A conical drum), agung, gandingan (four suspended narrow-rimmed gongs), babandil (small gong, sometimes the last gong of the kulintang) – all of which act as drones constantly repeating a particular rhythmic pattern for the duration of the music. The kulintang player acts as the central player and makes various improvisations on the chosen mode moving in progressively ascending and descending steps of sounds. Usually, three types of rhythmic modes are utilized, namely, the duyug, sinulug and tidtu. The dabakan starts with the music, announcing the mode, while the other instruments follow.

The kulintang ensemble is often considered as the most cultivated of the region’s musical expressions. Aside from being a medium of entertainment and hospitality, the kulintang also serves as a vehicle for social interaction and group solidarity and for learning ethical principles.

Other idiophones of the South include the gabbang or bamboo xylophone of the Tausog of Sulu, and the edel or log drum, a plank idiophone made of molave wood suspended and beaten with sticks and used by the Tabakaolo, Bilaan and Manobo

+Quote Post
BatangDamo
post May 28 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #11

AF Pro
Group Icon

QUOTE (morena @ May 27 2004, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (dalawapo @ May 25 2004, 11:11 PM)

The kulintang, or gongs in a row, is basically a melody instrument played by a single performer as a solo instrument or as part of an ensemble. It consists of eight gongs placed horizontally in a frame and tuned to a flexible pentatonic or five-tone scale. Among the Islamic peoples of the South of the kulintang ensemble, where it is the primary melody instrument supported by the dabakan (A conical drum), agung, gandingan (four suspended narrow-rimmed gongs), babandil (small gong, sometimes the last gong of the kulintang) – all of which act as drones constantly repeating a particular rhythmic pattern for the duration of the music. The kulintang player acts as the central player and makes various improvisations on the chosen mode moving in progressively ascending and descending steps of sounds. Usually, three types of rhythmic modes are utilized, namely, the duyug, sinulug and tidtu. The dabakan starts with the music, announcing the mode, while the other instruments follow.

The kulintang ensemble is often considered as the most cultivated of the region’s musical expressions. Aside from being a medium of entertainment and hospitality, the kulintang also serves as a vehicle for social interaction and group solidarity and for learning ethical principles.

Other idiophones of the South include the gabbang or bamboo xylophone of the Tausog of Sulu, and the edel or log drum, a plank idiophone made of molave wood suspended and beaten with sticks and used by the Tabakaolo, Bilaan and Manobo

i miss the sound of it...

+Quote Post
redhotchili
post May 30 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #12

AF Pro
Group Icon

are rainsticks indigenous filipino musical instruments as well? joey ayala uses this in some of his songs. i've heard the sound that they produce... really sounds like rain biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 01:18 PM