Reply to this topicStart new topic
Reps And Intensity
Suijen
post Sep 7 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #1

AF Legend
Group Icon

Group: Members

Weight Lifters, I've got another question, this time about intensity.

Usually when I do weight training, I might do 6-10 reps. However, it's usually the case that I work until I can't lift, and I stop there and don't try to do too more in case I injure myself.

However, if I keep the reps low and try heavier weights, I might get the form done incorrectly. I was wondering if I could increase the reps from say, 6 to 12 (I can maintain form better) and lower the weights. In that sense, if I do that and it's the same intensity, does it still produce optimal gains?

I honestly though that people just did heavier weights to save time, but lower weights and more reps helps me improve my form.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mndeg
post Sep 7 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #2

AF Legend
Group Icon

thats all intensity is. if you don't do correct form you might not even be hitting the right places correctly

did you read about sets/reps on
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ice2.htm ??

the actual numbers dont really matter

This post has been edited by mndeg: Sep 7 2006, 05:41 PM

+Quote Post
Suijen
post Sep 7 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #3

AF Legend
Group Icon

IPB Image

Should consider becoming a professional trainer Mndeg.

+Quote Post
lilasiankid
post Sep 7 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #4

AF Supreme
Group Icon

QUOTE(Suijen @ Sep 7 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]2269954[/snapback]

Weight Lifters, I've got another question, this time about intensity.

Usually when I do weight training, I might do 6-10 reps. However, it's usually the case that I work until I can't lift, and I stop there and don't try to do too more in case I injure myself.

However, if I keep the reps low and try heavier weights, I might get the form done incorrectly. I was wondering if I could increase the reps from say, 6 to 12 (I can maintain form better) and lower the weights. In that sense, if I do that and it's the same intensity, does it still produce optimal gains?

I honestly though that people just did heavier weights to save time, but lower weights and more reps helps me improve my form.

Put on a weight that is heavy but you can still do with CORRECT FORM for all of the reps or until the last one or two where you get weaker and ur friend helps you......

When you train with low reps and heavy weights....you will need a spotter to be most effective...sometimes they will have to help you on your last couple reps....Always worked for me back when I was gaining strength fast.....back then I wanted to gain strength so...somedays I did 10-12 reps....some days I put it heavier and just did 6 reps...sometimes even just around 4-5 sets of 3-4 reps with heavier weights.....but that was mostly my core exercises that I did that on....I mainly do around 12 reps for most exercises..

Now I usually just work out alone so I don't have a spotter....so I just lift to maintain with lighter weights...

+Quote Post
Eclectic Asian
post Sep 8 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #5

AF Guru
Group Icon

5x5!!!!

biggthumpup.gif

well at least for beginners like me icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
slider5
post Sep 8 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #6

AF Pro
Group Icon

Where do people get this idea or are so obssessed about reps and intensity you will get the same effect by doing 10 reps of X weight and doing 20 reps of half of X.

Remember you are fatiguing your muscles and effetively damaging them so they grow back bigger and stronger. If you are looking to get bigger its actually more important you eat right and rest right than worrying about your intesity and the number of reps. You need to find a balance and the most efficient way to build up to lifting heavier weights. If you wanna tone up then doing lots of reps is the way to go.

+Quote Post
caterina_xc
post Sep 8 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #7

AF Elite
Group Icon

from the information give by suijen..i think he's hot icon_redface.gif

+Quote Post
mofo
post Sep 8 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #8

AF Guru
Group Icon

^
what are u talking about..mndeg was the one giivng the advice..

+Quote Post
lilasiankid
post Sep 8 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #9

AF Supreme
Group Icon

I simply just do lower reps with heavier weights because I'm too damn lazy and it's less time consuming than doing 20 reps or more embarassedlaugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 10:55 PM