Maids from Cambodia a big hit
rnbo
post Oct 3 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #1

AF Geek
Group Icon

Group: Members

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Tue...cle/local1_html

KUALA LUMPUR: She speaks English, is hardworking, polite and reliable. Whatís more, she does not run away or cause any problems.

For many bosses, these would be the ideal traits of a maid. It might be impossible to get such wonderful maids, but all you need to do, it seems, is hire a Cambodian maid.

In fact, Cambodian maids have proven to be such a hit that bosses donít mind paying about 10 per cent more in fees and salaries for their services.

Bosses are forking out between RM6,000 and RM6,300 in agency fees and government levies on top of the RM500 to RM550 monthly salary for a Cambodian maid.

In contrast, those with Indonesian maids only pay about RM5,500 in fees and levies and a monthly salary of RM450.

To many, the money is well spent.

A report in the New Sunday Times two days ago highlighted the problem of getting quality maids. Despite the promises of agents that their maids were trained, many bosses said some maids didnít even know how to wipe the table.

Immigration Department Foreign Workers Division director Alwi Bavutty said Cambodians were the third-largest group of foreign help in the country, after Indonesians and Filipinos.

He said the number of Cambodian maids had risen over the years. In 2001, there were only 588 Cambodian maids but four years later, the figure went up to 3,124. For the first six months of this year, the department has recorded 1,168 new Cambodian maids.

Alwi said so far, there had not been any reports of runaway Cambodian maids.

Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies president Datuk Raja Zulkepley Dahalan attributed the steady increase of Cambodian maids to difficulties in getting good Indonesian maids.

He said Indonesians were more interested in working in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Saudi Arabia, where the pay was higher.

Raja Zulkepley explained that Cambodian maids were paid a higher salary as a premium was attached to those who could speak English.

He said Cambodian maids were popular with young professionals who needed someone to look after elderly family members.

"Cambodians are more hardworking and many people who have had bad experiences with maids have decided to give them a try."

Agensi Perkerjaan Copa Sdn Bhd managing director Jeffrey Foo said although the maids could speak only a little English, it was not a hindrance and agencies seldom received complaints from bosses.

However, employment agencies are reluctant to bring in more due to the high costs and red tape.

"It costs us about RM4,000 to bring one in, excluding other costs such as training. It takes between four and six months to do their passports due to the bureaucracy in their country," said Foo.

A spokesperson for Philimore Maids Agency said much patience was required when dealing with Cambodian maids due to their limited understanding of the English language.

But, bosses can be assured of a maid who learns fast and is reliable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Goombaking209
post Oct 3 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #2

AF Supreme
Group Icon

i think this is a good oppertunity for those who are honest and work hard, they deserve it.

+Quote Post
Viesnabotkampuji...
post Oct 4 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #3

AF Pro
Group Icon

This is the other way around. Last year there was a maid ran away from her brutal boss in Malaysia. She was torture and sexual abused.She finally made her way back..it almost cost her her life to be a maid in Malaysa.

This post has been edited by Viesnabotkampujia: Oct 4 2006, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
MasterTango
post Oct 17 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #4

AF Addict
Group Icon

i wish i had a Khmer maid...............................oh wait.................i have my mum........the best Khmer maid ever!!!

+Quote Post
Hola
post Oct 17 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #5

AF Pro
Group Icon

I have a flillipino maid
beerchug.gif

+Quote Post