Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The stereotype that Asians are bad drivers
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Other Culture
feiying
Non-Asians don't complain because we drive too fast. it is the other way around. They say we drive too slow, too undecisive and not 'going with the flow.' I witness this a lot on the fast lanes. They always tailgate me. I just go to another lane to avoid them. Most of the time, they hit Asians in the back bumper and the cops come and write reports saying it is the Asian's fault when it was not. That is how the stereotypes get started and spread.
Jagger
I've never heard of this stereotype in Britain before, until coming on this fourm. I just don't know how Americans come up with all these untrue bizarre stereotypes.
KUH
watch this, very interesting LOL

http://www.youtube.com/v/C-y2CUEPkjo
protocl
this stereotype does not apply to me: im a f**ing undercover F-1 driver.... biggthumpup.gif
Jagger
Americans really are ignorant after all. I knew it.
protocl
i came from america... bawling.gif
kaiwen
QUOTE(KUH @ Mar 10 2007, 05:23 AM) [snapback]2781133[/snapback]

watch this, very interesting LOL

http://www.youtube.com/v/C-y2CUEPkjo

lol , stupid girl embarassedlaugh.gif
LBCfinest
the bad drivers are the old asian folks that can't drive...the white cops is racist bastard when they written that is ur fault..Like they say in the dmv, no matter what, who hit u from behind is always their fault...i hate people who tail-gate me it just give me the creep so i always switch lanes.
MaMasOnlySon
Asians are bad at obeying traffic signs. Take China town for example, you will notice that none of them look at the lights when they cross the street, its almost as though the cars don't exist. I can't tell you how many times I nearly mowed down a group of Asians cause they think that they run the area they don't have to abide by the rules. Most of the time its not a hustle sprint to the end eithers, these idiots actually think they'll strolling through the park.
so?im_a_chink
QUOTE(MaMasOnlySon @ Mar 12 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]2786542[/snapback]

Asians are bad at obeying traffic signs. Take China town for example, you will notice that none of them look at the lights when they cross the street, its almost as though the cars don't exist. I can't tell you how many times I nearly mowed down a group of Asians cause they think that they run the area they don't have to abide by the rules. Most of the time its not a hustle sprint to the end eithers, these idiots actually think they'll strolling through the park.

that has nothing to do with driving. lots of ppl dont obey traffic signs especially the east coast.
Happy Asian
My aunty fit the stereotype perfectly, she drive where she shouldn't be and very slowly too. Oh, and she's too scared to talk when driving.
jiggyiggy
lol I'm an @$$ when I tail people, if it's at night I'll usually try to aim my headlight on their sidemirror after turning on my high beam, but yeah people you really shouldn't drive on the left lane on the highway if you plan on not atleast going 80 mph.
Scowl
QUOTE(Jagger @ Mar 10 2007, 05:23 AM) [snapback]2781132[/snapback]

I've never heard of this stereotype in Britain before, until coming on this fourm. I just don't know how Americans come up with all these untrue bizarre stereotypes.

It's not completely untrue - it's stupid the way they try to apply it as a genetic trait, but the fact is that immigrants in general are bad drivers simply because they're not used to local traffic laws.

And really, older people of all ethnicities in the US are slow drivers.
AgentBach
I hear people say Asians are bad drivers but whenever I turn on the tv, I always see something about white teenagers getting into accidents because they're stupid, some drunk white cop or some other white guy whose trying to evade the cop and ends up driving into someones house. Even all those shows about car chases, it's all with white people. Even the dumb asses where I live, the traffic light turns red and the sign says walk, I'm walking across the street and stupid douche bag makes a turn to where I am and stops short instead of watching for pedestrians. People in Scarsdale are retards. They don't think of anyone but themselves.
Trueno102
I heard of this and all i have to say is they invented the best motorsport ever Drifting icon_wink.gif
can't wait to drift my rx7
moobie
uh asians have better VS skills and reaction times by about 9 lightyears so I don't see why they'd be bad drivers
slider5
It doesnt make sense sinec we are known for being smart and having quick reactions, and yes this stereotype only seems to be applicable to Canada and US coz its unheard of anywhere else.

Just a easy cheap shot and myth when in reality we are more affluent drive better cars and safer.
KT80
i have also never heard of this bullsh-it stereotype in the UK.........anyway the worst drivers in the US are young white males..... laugh.gif
Happy Asian
^How so??
cyberlynn
it's a stupid stereotype.
arielsharon
Honestly, this is a stereotype that American Asians seem to be rehashing in which no one seems to believe in.
Da Hawaiian
The stereotype extends to all Immigrants...not just Asians...
bloom
QUOTE(Da Hawaiian @ Mar 17 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]2797233[/snapback]

All I can say is, "road star" here... :p
Da Hawaiian
^ U Rule
Mr. YS
i don't feel safe being in a car with an asian female driver
KT80
QUOTE(Mr. YS @ Mar 17 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]2797349[/snapback]

noone would feel safe with a white paedoe like u
cookiesisdead890
laugh.gif
QUOTE(Mr. YS @ Mar 17 2007, 06:28 PM) [snapback]2797349[/snapback]

laugh.gif
*promo
it the lack "fu-k pick the right lane speed" "park it or go faster!"

ppl think the high is thier own road.

in most cases asian aren't defensive drivers. they see a crash ahead of them they hit too also. they don't look ahead! plan ahead!

driving too slow below limit can cuss major merging problems.

remember a defensive driver is better than offenseive one. a defensive driver the can avoid an accident is better off likely to live through one then an offensive one. hitting your breaks cuss some asshat drop trash from the back pick up truck. you'll just make things worst like cuase a train wreck of cars behind you and killing some one.
kollision
Well everyone gets in accidents.

However I have a lot of Asian friends and when Im in their car they drive pretty recklessly. Lots of road rage too. Some Armenians I know are like that too, but I have more Asian friends than Armos.
Guyer
My dad thinks Mexicans are the worst driver.
RedSkysAtNight
FOB Asian women are the worst drivers.
Point_Dexter
Asian don't have depth perception capability.
moobie
No. Only 5-10% of whites have the depth perception and reaction time of an average Asian. However there are ton of myopic Asians. Though nightblindness and colorblindness in Asians iirc is very rare.
Jasel
QUOTE(Da Hawaiian @ Mar 17 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]2797233[/snapback]

I've only ever heard it with Asians
Da Hawaiian
My Drivers Ed teacher shared that nibbet of knowledge with me
arielsharon
QUOTE(Jasel @ Mar 26 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]2816840[/snapback]

I've only ever heard it with Asians

I don't here anyone spout this anymore. Where do you live?
doozer3
Immigrants of all kinds tend to be bad drivers (esp. those who have little or no prior experience driving) - however, this stereotype seems to have stuck, in particular, to Asians.

This stereotype is alive and well on the comedy circuit, as well as films (for example "Crash").
scorp
One time I was driving wrecklessly on purpose, and my brother was with me and said something to the effect of, "you're making asian drivers look bad", or "This is the reason people think asians are bad drivers".

So I said, "you only say that if you buy into that american ignorant stereotype."

And he shuts up.
Creme Femme
QUOTE(moobie @ Mar 26 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]2816741[/snapback]

No. Only 5-10% of whites have the depth perception and reaction time of an average Asian. However there are ton of myopic Asians. Though nightblindness and colorblindness in Asians iirc is very rare.

Where did you get that? Source?
jennypeg
QUOTE(Point_Dexter @ Mar 24 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]2813787[/snapback]

Asian don't have depth perception capability.

what?
moobie
Where did you get that? Source?

http://www.arthurhu.com/INDEX/aintell.htm

whites: vs (visuospatial) iq = 98-102
asians: vs iq = 114

one standard deviation = 14 points
those one sd above/below avg. = 16%

however the asian scores/advantages are underestimated as asians mature slower and live longer; while a 8 year old asian is more intellectually and emotionally mature than a 8 year old white kid; his actual age corresponds more to that of a 9ish y.o white kid.

prog. matrices iq: white british: 100, japanese: 110

movement time: (in ms, lower is of course faster)

british whites
simple: 236 (52sd)
complex: 261 (56sd)
omo: 297 (110sd)

japanese
simple: 218 (63sd)
complex: 227 (66sd)
omo: 268 (127sd)

decision time:

british whites
simple: 371 (90sd)
omo: 480 (110sd)
complex: 898 (285sd)

japanese
simple: 348 (103sd)
complex: 433 (138sd)
omo: 818 (198sd)

white british are about 1/3rd of a sd behind japanese even though the test is skewed against asians at maturity

prevalence of r/g color-blindness:

whites: 8-10%
asians: 5%

http://jfly.iam.u-tokyo.ac.jp/color/

and hearing/perfect pitch..

http://www.philomel.com/pdf/trenton_times_may_2006.pdf
1962VW
Red-Necks were saying Asians have weak eyes, and therefore Asians are Bad Pilots..................and in

World War II, Japanese Pilots blew away so many Red-Necks from the sky.

The Red-Necks have only 1 thing over Asians.....................................that is a BIG MOUTH ! biggrin.gif
LBCfinest
QUOTE(RedSkysAtNight @ Mar 24 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]2813723[/snapback]

FOB Asian women are the worst drivers.

lolz, i agree and old folks 2.
KT80
QUOTE(doozer3 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]2818180[/snapback]

Immigrants of all kinds tend to be bad drivers (esp. those who have little or no prior experience driving) - however, this stereotype seems to have stuck, in particular, to Asians.

This stereotype is alive and well on the comedy circuit, as well as films (for example "Crash").

i was watching scary movie 2 .....one of the black girl goes.....i am scare something is gonna happen like an asian behind the wheel.....wtf is that all about.....it's not even funny......that d!ck carlos mencia always do that asian can't drive jokes too.....especially about sulu in star trek driving the enterpise......wtf does white and black people find it funny....
Najjiah
actually thats not true. the streotype is asian WOMEN drivers are horrible drivers.

and its only holds true to FOBS.

doozer3
QUOTE(Najjiah @ Mar 27 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]2820185[/snapback]

actually thats not true. the streotype is asian WOMEN drivers are horrible drivers.

and its only holds true to FOBS.

There are plenty who have generalized it for all Asians (male, female, FOB, non-FOB).

This is all very ironic since WMs under the age of 25 have the highest accident rate.
Hola
THINK TAKUMI!!
doozer3
NBC aired a repeat of the episode of "The Office" where the employees undergo racial sensitivity training.

Carell's character has everyone place notecards on their foreheads (stating a particular race) and makes another person address them making stereotypical comments based on the notecard.

The stereotypical comment for the person with the notecard for Asian?

Your people are bad drivers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.