Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bengali people
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > India Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bloom
Again I'll first apolagize for my ignorance, but does people in Bangladesh, Bengali people, considered Asians? Possibly Southeast Asians?
pun187
Yes, they are south asians though.
bloom
So I guess there are really many different "races" comprised in Southeast Asia. But would you say Bengali people also has some relationship with South Asians - Indians, Pakistanians etc.
Zaw-Gyi
QUOTE(bloom @ Jun 27 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]3028665[/snapback]
So I guess there are really many different "races" comprised in Southeast Asia. But would you say Bengali people also has some relationship with South Asians - Indians, Pakistanians etc.

Bengalis are generally classed as South Asians NOT South East Asians both geographically and ethnically . An alternative term is Desi .
thepimpraja
Post some pictures.
Jagger
QUOTE(bloom @ Jun 27 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]3028665[/snapback]

Bengalis are South Asian, not Southeast Asian, but are related to certain Southeast Asian groups.

Also, Bengalis are not all from Bangladesh. There are also many from the West Bengal state in India.

You can find out more on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_people

QUOTE(thepimpraja @ Jun 27 2007, 07:38 PM) [snapback]3028683[/snapback]
Post some pictures.

Riya Sen & Rimi Sen (Bollywood actresses)

Rani Mukherjee (Bollywood actress)

Bipasha Basu (Bollywood actress)

Tanushree Dutta (former Miss India)

Sanjaya Malakar (American Idol contestant)

Jawed Karim (co-founder of YouTube)

Muhammad Yunus (2006 Nobel Peace Prize)

Khaleda Zia (former Bangladeshi PM)

Dhaka, Bangladesh

Sylhet, Bangladesh

Chittagong, Bangladesh

Calcutta, West Bengal, India

Darjeeling, West Bengal, India

Bengali kids in Burma

Bengali people in America

Bengali people in Britain

Jc2
They are definitely South Asian. Their appearance, language and culture are South Asian
VAMAN
There is no clear demarcation between South-Asia and South-East Asia. One can't say that here South-Asia ends and from there South-East Asia starts. There is gradual change in appearance which is hardy noticible if we move towards the east, people tend to look more like east or south-east asian. Same is the case with Bengalis. And further there is constant migration from other parts of the region. Bengal was also ruled by Afgans in 14th centuary then by the Mugals in 16th century. In India Bengalis are considered as 'Easteners'. Please tell me as to how Burmese, Cambodian and Thai people have big eyes?

Some more bengali beauties.

Sushmita Sen

Sangeeta Ghosh

Sharmila Tagore

Moon Moon Sen

Suchitra Sen
Rocket2U
I didnt know Sanjayai from American Idol was Bengali.

Anyways Bengali people are Indic type of people, not Mongoloid, they share commanlities with Indians from India by a landslide.
jiggyiggy
Sanjaya is half bengali.
punkKid
QUOTE(VAMAN @ Jun 28 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]3031249[/snapback]
Please tell me as to how Burmese, Cambodian and Thai people have big eyes?

they were born with them. it has nothing to do with indians/bengalis or other south asians
JuicyFruit
Why do people from Bangladesh call themselves "Bengali"? Shouldn't they be called "Bangladeshi" since they broke off from India?
VAMAN
QUOTE(punkKid @ Jun 29 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]3031281[/snapback]
they were born with them. it has nothing to do with indians/bengalis or other south asians

The sea in the west of Burma is known as The Bay of Bengal. And what do you mean they are born with them? When did I say that it has anything to do anything with south asians and bengalis? Read properly before posting anything.

My reasoning is that there is a gradual change in appearance as you move towards the east. That is why Burmese and Thais have big eyes because they are towards the west and south as compared to east asia.

Bay of Bengal and adjoining region.
punkKid
QUOTE(VAMAN @ Jun 28 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]3031302[/snapback]

Bay of Bengal and adjoining region.

propaganda
VAMAN
QUOTE(Rocket2U @ Jun 29 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]3031258[/snapback]
Anyways Bengali people are Indic type of people, not Mongoloid, they share commanlities with Indians from India by a landslide.

What do you mean by "indic type of people"? What do you know about India and Bengal? How come indian influence has anything to do with appearance? confused.gif What commonalities people from Mongolia have with thais or japanese tell me comon?
VAMAN
QUOTE(punkKid @ Jun 29 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]3031313[/snapback]
propaganda

This is a real map. And it shows that Bengal is in the east. It is in the same region as Burma and Thailand.
jiggyiggy
QUOTE(JuicyFruit @ Jun 29 2007, 12:29 AM) [snapback]3031287[/snapback]
Why do people from Bangladesh call themselves "Bengali"? Shouldn't they be called "Bangladeshi" since they broke off from India?

They broke off from Pakistan.
JuicyFruit
Oh, right. I forgot about the East Pakistan thing.
VAMAN
QUOTE(jiggyiggy @ Jun 29 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]3031330[/snapback]
They broke off from Pakistan.

Both Pakistan and Bangladesh brokeup from India. Bangladesh literally means "Country of Bengal".
jiggyiggy
I hate fu-king being technical, and I hate people who force me to be technical(75% of the people on this forum). TECHNICALLY, the country of Pakistan(East and West) broke away from India. The country of BANGLADASH broke away from PAKISTAN.
VAMAN
QUOTE(jiggyiggy @ Jun 29 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]3031343[/snapback]
I hate fu-king being technical, and I hate people who force me to be technical(75% of the people on this forum). TECHNICALLY, the country of Pakistan(East and West) broke away from India. The country of BANGLADASH broke away from PAKISTAN.

So technically speaking the region now called Bangladesh was broke up from India as East-Pakistan. It is the same right. duh2.gif
Jagger
QUOTE(Rocket2U @ Jun 29 2007, 05:13 AM) [snapback]3031258[/snapback]

Bengalis are actually white people with a tan.
bloom
One of the reasons I ask was because I've met two very nice Blangedash people recently. They don't look like Indians / Pakistanians to me, they look more like Southeast asians to me. But actually now when I think again, they do have "some" south asian features, but I definitely won't mistaken them as Indians.
JuicyFruit
^There are people in India who can pass as Southeast Asian too. Usually Bengali Indians and other people in the eastern part of India.

BTW, most Bangladeshis do look like Indians. Well at least the ones I've met.
BirdInTheSky
oh yea me love south asian womennn yummy
Jagger
QUOTE(bloom @ Jun 29 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]3032308[/snapback]
One of the reasons I ask was because I've met two very nice Blangedash people recently. They don't look like Indians / Pakistanians to me, they look more like Southeast asians to me. But actually now when I think again, they do have "some" south asian features, but I definitely won't mistaken them as Indians.

The majority of Bengalis look closer to other South Asians, but there are plenty who also look similar to Southeast Asians (like the ones you've met). You could also say the same thing about Eastern Indians. The reason is because of mixed origins. Apparently, the regions of Bangladesh and Eastern India were originally inhabited by Austro-Asiatic peoples (Mon-Khmer and Munda tribes), and then Tibeto-Burmans (from Tibet) and Dravidians (from the Indus Valley Civilization) migrated to the region, and then came the Indo-Aryans (Vedic Sanskrit speakers). So apparently, Bengalis and Eastern Indians are more-or-less descended from a mix of Austro-Asiatics, Tibeto-Burmans, Dravidians, and Indo-Aryans.
Thabo
QUOTE(Rocket2U @ Jun 28 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]3031258[/snapback]
I didnt know Sanjayai from American Idol was Bengali.

Sanjaya is MARATHI
ExpressYourself

I read that Riya is part Gujarati (great grandmother).

One of the reasons I ask was because I've met two very nice Blangedash people recently. They don't look like Indians / Pakistanians to me, they look more like Southeast asians to me.

A minority of South Asians look somewhat South-East Asian. It's more common with Bangladeshis and Eastern Indians, but even a few Pakistanis and people from the Northern, Southern, and Western parts of India have that look.

This Indian lady is from the South.

VAMAN
QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Jun 30 2007, 06:00 AM) [snapback]3032813[/snapback]
I read that Riya is part Gujarati (great grandmother).

Your saying this as if she is part European or African. Her great grandmother was Indian isn't that enough for you?

Jagger
Bloom was mainly asking about Bangladeshis, not Bengali Indians.

Who moved this to India Chat? Tenji, I know it was you. nono.gif
YoungOne
QUOTE(bloom @ Jun , 09:34 PM)

Of course they don't look Indian or Pakistani it's cause they're Bangladeshi! It's really good you wouldn't mistake them as Indians seeing how they are Bangladeshi

QUOTE(BirdInTheSky @ Jun , 11:17 PM)
oh yea me love south asian womennn yummy

South Asia-phile!
pun187
QUOTE(VAMAN @ Jun 29 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]3031336[/snapback]
Both Pakistan and Bangladesh brokeup from India. Bangladesh literally means "Country of Bengal".

QUOTE(jiggyiggy @ Jun 29 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]3031343[/snapback]

Technically the India of today is NOT the same as the India of any time before 1947! Both countries, Pakistan and India gained independence from the British empire in 1947! Pakistan didn't broke away from India. Both countries involved from one country which was known as Hindustan i.e. country of the hindus(People who lived around the Indus Valley region), or Bharat. But yeah, the South Asian region was referred to as "India" by the british in the past, maybe that's why many people think that the present day India is the same and Pakistan detached from it. LOL Which is not true. It's the same as with the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Both were one country known as Czechoslovakia, which was splitted into two in 1993. The Czech Republic didn't break up from Slovakia, nor did Slovakia break up from the Czech Republic. Actually, if you want to get really technical, then Pakistan was the real India badteeth.gif since the word India is derived from Indus, which is a river in Pakistan. LOL

ExpressYourself
QUOTE(VAMAN @ Jun 30 2007, 06:38 AM) [snapback]3033542[/snapback]
Your saying this as if she is part European or African. Her great grandmother was Indian isn't that enough for you?

You corrected that Priyanka's mother was Bihari..I don't see any harm in mentioning that little tidbit about Riya. I never said that Indian regional groups are the equivalent of being European or African. confused.gif
Proud_Panjabi
Got a few friends that are Bengalis...asked one where he was from, hes a Sylethi...apparently theres different dialects, versions of Bengali which are hard to understand.

Indus River is a river that flows in India too, in Ladakh and Jammu & Kashmir. Also in China, which eventually the larger part then goes into Pakistan. The Indus originates from Tibet, as does 'Satluj' river, one of the 5 rivers of Punjab....others from Himachal and Kashmir. Ravi, Beas and Chenab rivers originate from Himalaya regions in Himachal Pradesh. Jhelum from Kashmir...all these rivers eventually go on to form the 'Panjnad' river in Pakistan.

Jagger
QUOTE(Proud_Panjabi @ Jun 30 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]3033803[/snapback]
Got a few friends that are Bengalis...asked one where he was from, hes a Sylethi...apparently theres different dialects, versions of Bengali which are hard to understand.

That's right. To a Sylheti speaker, standard Bengali would sound wierd, and vice versa.
ronny22
proud syhleti speaker ere lol

av got loads of family members with south east looks its quite commen in bangladesh

monaphori they call them lol
Jagger
QUOTE(ronny22 @ Jul 4 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]3040476[/snapback]
proud syhleti speaker ere lol

av got loads of family members with south east looks its quite commen in bangladesh

monaphori they call them lol

What's Monaphori mean? Did you mean Manipuri?
Thabo
Bangladeshi and Bangali people are not the same. The former are from Bangladesh; the latter from West Bengal in India.
Jagger
QUOTE(Thabo @ Jul 7 2007, 01:56 AM) [snapback]3044636[/snapback]
Bangladeshi and Bangali people are not the same. The former are from Bangladesh; the latter from West Bengal in India.

People from West Bengal (in India) = Bengali Indians = West Bengalis = Bengalis

People from East Bengal (Bangladesh) = Bangladeshis = East Bengalis = Bengalis
Thabo
QUOTE(Jagger @ Jul 6 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]3044648[/snapback]
People from West Bengal (in India) = Bengali Indians = West Bengalis = Bengalis

People from East Bengal (Bangladesh) = Bangladeshis = East Bengalis = Bengalis

No. Bangladeshi's are Bangladeshis... when people say they are Bengali they are referring being West Bengali... not Bangaldeshi.
ExpressYourself
QUOTE(Thabo @ Jul 6 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]3044714[/snapback]
No. Bangladeshi's are Bangladeshis... when people say they are Bengali they are referring being West Bengali... not Bangaldeshi.

Bangladeshis like to call themselves Bengali or BANGALI.

There's a group on facebook called "I'm Bengali and not Indian, you dumbass!" Some people don't even know that there's a West Bengal in India...they think that all bengalis are from Bangladesh. embarassedlaugh.gif

I think it's because few West Bengalis migrated, and Bangladeshis are way more common.
Thabo
QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Jul 6 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]3044804[/snapback]
There's a group on facebook called "I'm Bengali and not Indian, you dumbass!" Some people don't even know that there's a West Bengal in India...they think that all bengalis are from Bangladesh. embarassedlaugh.gif

I think it's because few West Bengalis migrated, and Bangladeshis are way more common.

I find it absotlutely hilarious how all of these Bangladeshis and Pakistanis (not me) get mad when somebody mistakes them for Indians... that's why you see all pakistanis and bangladeshi's with SN's like: Paki4Life, PakiNProud, Bangali_Pride, etc etc...to get noticed. You never see anybody with a SN of Indian_pride, b/c we're not attention starved! What these dumbasses don't realize that is at the end of the day, they're all Indians.. and thats what people outside of the Indian Subcontinent will classify themselves. Pakistanis like to think of themselves and "middle easterners," but when I tell them how the middle east people look down upon them they somehow try to change the subject or divert the negativity towards Pakistani's that are "more Indian-like" (ie. brown)... it's really pathetic how these people try to dissociate themselves from Indians.
Jagger
QUOTE(Thabo @ Jul 7 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]3044714[/snapback]

Do you even know what the words "Bengali" and "Bangladeshi" mean? You're just contradicting yourself.

QUOTE(ExpressYourself @ Jul 7 2007, 03:32 AM) [snapback]3044804[/snapback]

Well, quite a lot of overseas Bangladeshi kids have no idea a West Bengal even exists. Some of them even think Calcutta is a Bangladeshi city.

QUOTE(Thabo @ Jul 7 2007, 04:05 AM) [snapback]3044847[/snapback]
I find it absotlutely hilarious how all of these Bangladeshis and Pakistanis (not me) get mad when somebody mistakes them for Indians... that's why you see all pakistanis and bangladeshi's with SN's like: Paki4Life, PakiNProud, Bangali_Pride, etc etc...to get noticed. You never see anybody with a SN of Indian_pride, b/c we're not attention starved! What these dumbasses don't realize that is at the end of the day, they're all Indians.. and thats what people outside of the Indian Subcontinent will classify themselves. Pakistanis like to think of themselves and "middle easterners," but when I tell them how the middle east people look down upon them they somehow try to change the subject or divert the negativity towards Pakistani's that are "more Indian-like" (ie. brown)... it's really pathetic how these people try to dissociate themselves from Indians.

I've seen plenty of ultra-nationalist Indians online (the same goes for pretty much every other country).

Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are South Asians, not Indians. The India before and after the partition are not the same.
Thabo
QUOTE(Jagger @ Jul 6 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]3044858[/snapback]
Do you even know what the words "Bengali" and "Bangladeshi" mean? You're just contradicting yourself.
Well, quite a lot of overseas Bangladeshi kids have no idea a West Bengal even exists. Some of them even think Calcutta is a Bangladeshi city.

Bengali, spelled with E... Bangladeshi has a deshi and is spelled with an A.
ExpressYourself

That's pretty sad...Yeah and there's the counter group on facebook called "I'm a Bengali and an Indian Hindu...get it right you moron!"

EastSubIndianBrown
QUOTE(Jagger @ Jun 29 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]3031665[/snapback]
Bengalis are actually white people with a tan.

Bengalis are not white people with tan?!
Hahah......we are brown, not white...I have a friend from Bangladesh who have a very dark skin...should i refer him as a white man?
Hell no, we are brown...and yes, some bengalis are white but that depends on the genes.
YoungOne
^ you're just tryna be black Talktohand.gif
Mona
QUOTE(Thabo @ Jul 6 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]3044847[/snapback]

Not on Af but I've seen Indians on yahoo and msn with "Indian" as a part of their id...

I recall indians getting mad too when people mistake them for pakistani.

Just because someone put "bengali" as a part of their id does not mean they disown or don't consider themself indian.
Unless they directly try to tell you that bengali people are not indians.

I consider Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi people the same race and from the same origin...

but why do you have to be so passionate to degrade Pakistani people?

I never came across any Pakistani person in my life who think he/she is a middle easterner.

None of my middle eastern friends look down on Pakistani people.

No offence.

But its not nice to be saying things about others yet ignore ones own flaws.

It is not good to generalize.

I find your comments very rude.

Thabo
QUOTE(EastSubIndianBrown @ Jul 8 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]3047239[/snapback]
Bengalis are not white people with tan?!
Hahah......we are brown, not white...I have a friend from Bangladesh who have a very dark skin...should i refer him as a white man?
Hell no, we are brown...and yes, some bengalis are white but that depends on the genes.

Bangladeshis look more like south indians to me. Just look at their Cricket team for example.. I can't tell if its sri lanka or bangladesh.
EastSubIndianBrown
QUOTE(YoungOne @ Jul 8 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]3047673[/snapback]
^ you're just tryna be black Talktohand.gif

Young One: Hahahaha laugh.gif

Thabo: Bengalis are usually look like south indians....but we people are East Indians: A mixture of Austric, Dravidian, Mongolian and Aryan blood. icon_smile.gif

By the way, this is how i consider a person bengali:

Ethnic Group: "Bengali"
Nationality: Bangladeshi

Ethnic Group: "Bengali"
Nationality: Indian

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.