Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beautiful Mosques In Indonesia
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Indonesian Chat
Pages: 1, 2
purnomor

Istiqlal Mosque in Jakarta, built 1961-1975 in the former site of Wilhelmina Park and Prins Hendrik Citadel. It is located next to the Roman Catholic Cathedral (bulit 1901) and was designed by a Christian architect, Frederick Silaban, to symbolise religious harmony in Indonesia. It is the largest mosque in Southeast Asia, capable of taking up to 100,000 people.

Baiturrahman Grand Mosque in Banda Aceh - Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam. A mosque was built in the site in 1612 by Iskandar Muda, the great Acehnese sultan, but the structure was burnt down by the Dutch during their second invasion on Christmas 1873. The current mosque was rebuilt by the Dutch in 1875-1881 to win "hearts and minds" during the Acehnese War.
In the mosque courtyard stood the Kohler tree, under which Dutch general JHR Kohler was shot dead while commanding the defeated first Dutch invasion of Aceh on 23 April 1873.

Major-General JHR Kohler, killed on 14 April 1873 while leading the first Dutch invasion of Aceh.

Grand Mosque in Medan - North Sumatera. Built in 1909 by Ma'moen Al Rasyid Perkasa Alamsyah, ninth sultan of Deli. It was designed by Adolf J Dingeman.

Masjid Tua in Ternate - North Maluku. Dating from the 1700s, the gracefully tiered roof is seen with the backdrop of Mount Gamalama, an active volcano.

More coming soon..

Any additions welcome.. beerchug.gif
dalawapo
ooooooooo ahhhh love

beerchug.gif
purnomor

Al-Manar Mosque in Kudus - Central Java, built in 1549 by Sunan Kudus (Ja'far Shodiq), then extended in 1845 and 1987. This mosque integrates a 20m high ancient Hindu watchtower as its minaret, and a Balinese temple gate as its main entrance. Traditional Javanese Muslims believed seven pilgrimages here during the Gerebeg Besar (Idul Adha) festival is worth one complete pilgrimage to Mecca.
Kudus, which means "holy" in Arabic, is the only town in Indonesia with an Arabic name.

Grand Mosque in Demak - Central Java, built in 1579 by Raden Fatah, a Chinese Muslim who established the first Muslim kingdom in Java.
Just as the Kudus Mosque, traditional Javanese Muslims believed that seven pilgrimages here during Gerebeg Besar (Idul Adha) festival is worth one complete pilgrimage to Mecca.
purnomor

Banten Lama Grand Mosque west of Jakarta, built in 1566 by Sultan Maulana Yusuf, shows a mix of Hindu, Chinese, and Islamic influences. Unique characteristics include five-tiered roof made from teak-wood, and eight-sided minaret built in 1590, which once also served as a lighthouse. The minaret was designed by Hendrik Lucas Cardeel, a Dutch deserter who converted to Islam.
www.londoh.com

Royal Mosque on Penyengat Island - Riau Archipelago, built in 1844 by Raja Ali Haji, sultan of Riau-Lingga kingdom.
The accoustically-perfect yellow-white-green mosque was the centre of Muslim Malay culture during the 19th century. It is here Raja Ali haji wrote Tuhfat al-Nafis, a history of Malay people (1844); Gurindam Duabelas, a collection of moral-guiding verses (1849); a grammar of Malay for instruction of children (1851); and Kitab Pengetahuan Bahasa, an encyclopedia of Malay language and customs (1858).

In 1880s, Penyengat writers established the Rusdiansyah Club, a literary club whose works were widely published throughout Malay-speaking world as voice of modernist Islam. Penyengat's glory days ended when Riau-Lingga kingdom was abolished by the Dutch in 1913.
Nusantara
I have visited full historical penyengat island and visited this famous mosque also famous istiqlal mosque in Jakarta. biggthumpup.gif icon_smile.gif
mamapeace
wow i'd love to go to those mosques. I had been living in jkt for long time and yet never been inside istiqlal. the one in aceh is also nice
Nusantara
Al Manar mosque in kudus the most unique one since it kinda blend with pre-islamic culture, look at the ancient watchtower as its minaret, awesome! beerchug.gif
purnomor

Al-Markaz Al-Islami Mosque in Makassar - South Celebes, one of the largest mosque in Southeast Asia. This three-storeyed structure is made of granite and is capable of taking up to 20,000 people. The mosque was built in 1994 by public subscription by Al-Markaz Foundation, led by the current vice-presidential candidate Jusuf Kalla and retired general M Yusuf.
Ek-ek
Beautiful pictures!
KTB
I like the Sumatran-style Mosque very much,
Architecturally, a good inspiration for design
malaccan

This mosque wouldn't look out of place in Melaka. The pagoda-like rooftops are quite a commonplace design.

Raja Ali Haji's Tuhfat al-Nahfis? Aarghhh... it's high school history lessons all over again! embarassedlaugh.gif

As usual, nice photos purnomor biggthumpup.gif
londoh
Hi,

I just became a member here to see what's happening. I spotted all the nice photo's of mosques here. I suppose many "dipinjam tanpa ijin". Very easy to make a nice topic with the blood, sweat and tears of others. Is it so difficult to mention the site where you found the picture ? I think so, as i have talked too Indonesians so many times about this fenomen and when they heard that I was a Belanda they told me that my forefathers stole during 350 years in THEIR country. There is always an easy way out for Indonesians where "anak anjing kompeni" are involved. It is no problem anymore to me as I know the country, after living for 13 years asa "bintang tamu asing" in the biggest "ketoprak humor" in the world.

Keep on going with the good work guys kiss.gif

Salam dari Londoh
Nusantara
OK "anak anjing kompeni" that's the way you called yourself? what's your point?
btw, don't be shy to jump on dutch topic instead of going to mosque topic.
purnomor
I just became a member here to see what's happening. I spotted all the nice photo's of mosques here. I suppose many "dipinjam tanpa ijin". Very easy to make a nice topic with the blood, sweat and tears of others. Is it so difficult to mention the site where you found the picture ?

Hi londoh, currently there has been vociferous debate about whether information on whether online information is considered "public domain" or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

For your information, you may find the original sources of the pics I've posted through the "properties" info on each pic, although I found majority of these sources are second-hand copiers of other ppl's pics, making it rather difficult to discover who originally took these pics in the first place.

I can only find comfort in the belief that the primary purpose of the photographer is identical to mine in posting these pics, which is to propagate and promote the rich and diverse culture of Indonesia.

I think so, as i have talked too Indonesians so many times about this fenomen and when they heard that I was a Belanda they told me that my forefathers stole during 350 years in THEIR country.

Sadly, that is the true historical fact. The Dutch sucked Indonesia dry, using incomes from colonial exploitation to cover one-third of Dutch national budget for most of 1800s, while spending precious little for Indonesians (eg. in 1945, only 5% of Indonesians can read or write, GDP per capita was even lower than most African colonies at the time)

I'm sorry if you are offended bcoz some Indonesians still showed bitterness over events more than 60 years ago.. But Indonesian chattelhood under the Dutch was 350 years, a pretty damn long time indeed.

There is always an easy way out for Indonesians where "anak anjing kompeni" are involved. It is no problem anymore to me as I know the country, after living for 13 years asa "bintang tamu asing" in the biggest "ketoprak humor" in the world.

Not really sure what this is supposed to mean, but my guess is you're one of those bule who found comfort in ridiculing and belittling Indonesia as a manifestation of latent white superiority complex. Too bad you're still earning your living in Indonesia after 13 years, ja?

Keep on going with the good work guys

Thanks for the encouragement, heer londoh. Daag! kiss.gif
londoh
Hello Nusantara,

Ayam sori you won't understand my point I talk about the pictures used in this topic. At least one of the pic's used in this topic is made by myself, used without my permission, not even a source is mentioned.

Also Hello to Purnomor,

I have read many debates about material "borrowed" from websites, often by clever and well educated people, who never will think about not paying after shopping in the local supermarket but consider all the material they find on internet as theirs, even if it's copyrighted. My point of view is a webmaster's opinion, so I am on the losing end in this.

I am quite well informed about the shared Dutch - Indonesian history, better than most Indonesians. I even know that thare are people in the Netherlands who show bitternes about the loss of IndiŽ. But myself being born after 1945 I think it is rather ridiculous that history is used as an argument to cover up stealing by people who also are born after that date.

About ridiculing: I talk about myself so the one who is ridiculed is myself. Is there something illegal in making a living in Indonesia? I even support a few families there by giving them work and paying a good salary for that. I am not an plantationowner but just an ordinairy trader who is making websites as a hobby. So nothing to fear. I suppose you already know my site icon_wink.gif

Kindest regards

Londoh
purnomor
Ayam sori you won't understand my point I talk about the pictures used in this topic. At least one of the pic's used in this topic is made by myself, used without my permission, not even a source is mentioned.

Dear heer londoh (Roy Kleffers?)
By googling "londoh", I discovered www.londoh.com, which I presumed is yours. I saw that you have travelled a lot and photgraphed a lot of historical Indonesian sites, which I admire as I never had the chance to travel that widely. I will gave you proper credits. I apologise if you feel I've deprive you of your precious laurels, I seek no such diabolical ends.
My intention is just like yours, to promote the many attractions of Indonesia, my homeland. As a student with limited financial means, I am only able to post pics I found on the net, the least I can do for my country in my current situation.

About ridiculing: I talk about myself so the one who is ridiculed is myself. Is there something illegal in making a living in Indonesia? I even support a few families there by giving them work and paying a good salary for that. I am not an plantationowner but just an ordinairy trader who is making websites as a hobby. So nothing to fear. I suppose you already know my site

Hehe, you ridiculed Indonesia as ketoprak humor, a show I particularly do not enjoy. There's nothing illegal about making a living in Indonesia, I was sorry that you do not seem to appreciate the country that has been your home where you make your living for 13 years, dismissing it instead as "ketoprak humor" icon_sad.gif
purnomor

Al-Azhar Mosque - Jakarta

Al-Mansur Mosque - Jakarta, one of the oldest mosque in Jakarta, built 1730

Al-Shalafiah Mosque - Jakarta, containing many sacred garves of princes from Banten Kingdom

http://www.ils.fr/candi/jakarta/jakarta.htm
purnomor

Baiturrahman Mosque standing undamaged amidst ruins of Banda Aceh right after the 26 December tsunami

Acehnese tsunami survivors flocked to Baiturrahman Mosque for Idul Adha prayers, 21 January 2005
Got-To-Know
woaaa they all look so great
PervertBurger
hope tsunami didnt mess with any of those
Jupiterz
I'll post pic of Masjid Agung (Masjid Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II) the Architecture is back to the original..... its looks like Klenteng from outside.
ishtar
I have picture of me and my friend inside the masjid agung,look so grace, i'd like to post it here but i dont know how
Jupiterz
to put pictures in a forum..... create an acccount in files sharing website like www.ripway.com, up load the pictures then copy the url.

like this.......... Mesjid agung from backside.......

Jupiterz
ooppss... wrong url...... well.... thats the example on how to put ur pic ishtar

Mesjid agung.....

Mas Eddi
Hello people,

What has attracted me in this forum was this thread about Indonesian mosques.
I hope that what started with beautiful pictures and some information has not ended yet..(.?)

I for myself and for those who are interested made some pages (in Dutch)
about Indonesian mosques. (I'm just a layman on this subject who is only interested!)
The people who are most interested in these pages are the "Javanese Surinamers"..

Of course I was inspired by this thread on this Asain Finest forum (!)

Information is scarce here in the Netherlands and I don't have the book
Masjid-Masjid Bersejarah Di Indonesia from Abdul Baqir Zein .

So people , if you will pick up this thread again, give some information about the (10/20) biggest or oldest mosques in Indonesia, and maybe a description or two, give/send (me) some selfmade photgrahps, I would be obliged...
And I will mention you all :-)

The link to my page is

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ed.vos/jawa-dwipa/v...nden/masjid.htm

See you all again

Ed
Jupiterz
uumm.. then I need good camera to take our Masjid Agung snap........ too bad my bro didnt save pictures I took on Masjid Agung icon_sad.gif
londoh
Hi Mas,

I also felt attracted to this forum for the first time ,when I saw a photo of the Banten mesjid Agung made by myself published here. I made some nice friends through this topic. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif BTW Do you have the book "Historical sites of Jakarta" by A. Heuken SJ, also a few mesjid in it together with many pictures, sometimes the book is on the market but quickly sold out.

Salam dari Solo,

Londoh
purnomor

Grand Mosque in Palembang - South Sumatera
purnomor

Great Mosque in Surabaya - East Java
purnomor

Mesjid Jami Hayam Wuruk, built in 1718, one of the oldest mosque in Jakarta still in use.

Grave of a Chinese Muslim, Mrs Nur Hajizah, located in the mosque grounds, combined Islamic and Chinese calligraphy elements.
purnomor

At-Tin Mosque in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah theme park, built by Suharto to commemorate his deceased wife, Ibu Tien Suharto
purple
very extravagant
Nusantara
Actually there are many beautiful mosque in many villages in Riau with staunchy architecture, They are just built by local people on the village near the mosque by self donations and It took years for them just to finish it. As wise word says little by little at the end It become a hill. It mean We can build something gradually, eventually It will be completed if the determination is kept a live.

e_vaholic
mosques are always beautiful
Astromantic
Allahuakbar! Mosques in Indonesia are great.. Hey can you guys please post a pic of a very popular mosque in Puncak? I don't know the name but I always go there everytime I visit Puncak. It's big and clean... beautiful indeed.
Aranadhel
Allahuakbar!
e_vaholic
Allahuakbar too!!!!
gula_jawa
Masha Allah... these mesjid r so beautiful indeed.

but remember guys... the most important thing is not to build huge mosque where hardly any one go there.... i mean making a good place to worship is important.. but its more important if people do actually go solat there...and have in their heart the attachment of praying in the mosque ..especially the guys.

the most important thing is not to make the mosque an empty place.. and just be visited every friday... especially the muslim guys out there.. should be solat in the mesjid everyday.. if time permits.

but yea the pictures of the mosque r beautiful...Subhanallah

Allahu Akbar.
rashid
Thank you very intersting pictures and Moskes are very importante in any moslim country or non moslim one .

Love to all my people

beerchug.gif
purnomor
IPB Image
Grand Mosque at Sumenep, Madura - East Java, built in 1746 showing strong indigenous, Arabic, and European influence.
Aranadhel
QUOTE(purnomor @ Nov 30 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]2527644[/snapback]

IPB Image
Grand Mosque at Sumenep, Madura - East Java, built in 1746 showing strong indigenous, Arabic, and European influence.

it looks like a church.
lackor
I think the mosques in indo are the most original and beautiful in the world. they're not afraid to experiment with styles.
purnomor
IPB Image
Nurul Iman Mosque in Kupang, West Timor, a majority-Christian area of Indonesia. This is one of the thousands of standard mosques built by Suharto government's Department of Religion to protect people from atheistic communism. The Suharto-era mosques follow a joglo (four-sided square) pattern with tiered-roofs, and the metal roof-tip showing the word "Allah" is surrounded by a pentagon to signify the five principles of Pancasila.
Bhaskara
Mosques from my hometown Banjarmasin:
IPB Image
Masjid Sultan Suriansyah, the oldest Mosque in South Kalimantan, 300++ years old. It was build to honor Sultan Suriansyah, the first Muslim King of the Banjar Kingdom after ages of Animism, Buddhism and Hinduism.
IPB Image
Masjid Sabilal Muhtadin, standing proudly facing Martapura River. Sabilal Muhtadin is the name of a Book written by Al-Banjary, the famous Cleric from South Kalimantan.
peculiar-alien
I love the first Mosque Bhas...it looks like a big Gazebo....so comfy....
allstar
indonesian mosques are beautiful. keep them coming.
Bhaskara
QUOTE(peculiar-alien @ Dec 4 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]2540750[/snapback]

I love the first Mosque Bhas...it looks like a big Gazebo....so comfy....

Thx peccy!And it's well architectured, too. The temperature was so hot, but it was very cool inside the Mosque.People from the past time are so much wiser than us. icon_redface.gif
Malay_guy
Do you heard about the last tsunami in java. when the alarm sounded. all the peoples, muslim or non muslim ran to the mosques. Muslim? it's normal, but non muslim?
Malay_guy
Weet u waar is de moskee die zij zeggen, de belangrijkste pijler werd gemaakt uit houten spaanders?
Bhaskara
Why not?Mosques are usually big and could hold a lot of people in it. So it's a good place to refuge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.